• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Yeah, Quantum Break looks like a pretty bad game. I want to like it, but nothing about the power set looks fun to experiment with to me. It also doesn't help that it seems they really flubbed the TV show part. Sucks because I actually love all the dumb ideas that game has. It just seems so flubbed on execution on every level.

Oh well. Now that that's done, Remedy can just do the important shit. Make an Alan Wake game that looks anywhere near as good as QB.

yami4ct

Max Payne is a boring character and time slowdown is kind of a stupid mechanic. Alan Wake > Max Payne every time. The combat in AW isn't great, but the world is so damn cool and moody and fun.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Gameplay > Moody atmosphere (which Max Payne had in spades). Alan Wake was boring AF.

No half assed Steven Spielberg schlock can make it less boring.

yami4ct

Alan Wake still has places to go in a modern time. Max Payne has been played to death, even if that wasn't Remedy's doing. Nothing about Max Payne's mechanics, the one thing it kind of has, warrants more exploration in a modern take.

Also, just because I said AW's combat isn't awesome doesn't mean I think Max Payne does it well either. I think that game plays like crap too. Remedy doesn't make well playing games. They make cool mechanics and occasionally cool worlds and some amazing dumb in world TV shows.

jred2k

Catching up on UPF. Jeff turning a shotgun on his own face is the craziest thing I've ever seen. VR should be made illegal.

Alan Wake still has places to go in a modern time. Max Payne has been played to death, even if that wasn't Remedy's doing. Nothing about Max Payne's mechanics, the one thing it kind of has, warrants more exploration in a modern take.

Also, just because I said AW's combat isn't awesome doesn't mean I think Max Payne does it well either. I think that game plays like crap too. Remedy doesn't make well playing games. They make cool mechanics and occasionally cool worlds and some amazing dumb in world TV shows.

gtQGOIz.gif

Alan Wake's combat system is the best thing about the game; it's exactly what Deadly Premonition should have had. Implemented better, it could be a killer addition for horror-styled games.

Gameplay > Moody atmosphere (which Max Payne had in spades). Alan Wake was boring AF.

No half assed Steven Spielberg schlock can make it less boring.

In terms of gameplay MP and QB definitely have it in spades. In terms of moody atmospheres, AW has it. I do like the easter eggs in QB like this one. If there's one thing QB got right, it's the time effects and how it affects the world around you.

I don't think QB is a bad game though by any stretch of the imagination, it has issues but I'm enjoying it(probably because most of my shit is upgraded). I'm hoping to hear the opinions of the others who play it as well from the crew.

yami4ct

Alan Wake's combat system is the best thing about the game; it's exactly what Deadly Premonition should have had. Implemented better, it could be a killer addition for horror-styled games.

I don't think AW plays poorly like Max Payne or (seemingly) Quantum Break, but I don't particularly enjoy it either. It was just an inoffensive way to handle combat for me. Didn't add or subtract.

While I love Deadly Premonition, there's something about Alan Wake's semi serious tone that really, really works for me and I absolutely want more.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Throw in the dark here, what was the video where Jeff and Vinny do their fake youtuber MLG voices? It was an office video, and I think they were playing Dead Space 3.

Man, Battleborn is really an eyesore, it's like PvZ:GW gone wrong. I like some of the individual effects, like cartoony smoke and magic wisping up into the air, but it feels like it'd fit better if the rest of the visual design were simplified a bit.

I'm really enjoying Quantum Break so far, but I'm generally a fan of Remedy's style of "okay gunplay plus compelling gimmicks" and "walk in the wrong direction for interesting narrative tidbits" games. (And I'd be taking ten thousand screenshots if the 'Bone had a more readily accessible screenshot button.)

Tubobutts

If the video doesn't work click the download link and change the first date in the URL to a day later. It has worked on everything that hasn't.

Zekes!

I enjoyed watching the East Coast guys play Super Mario Maker

they seem to hold less Mario knowledge so it was fun to listen to them figure out some mechanic stuff

yami4ct

Man.

I feel sorry for the guy who the beastcast directed to the comment section in order to fix his PC problem.

Yeah. A bad time to have that email sent.

Someone there already pointed out Tom's Hardware and that's really the best advice you can get. They are super nice over there and technological wizards. They helped me diagnose my bum MoBo when I was having weird cold boot issues on my last build.

Just from what little he said, and going of the top of my head, he might be using integrate graphics instead of going through the actual card. That can be an easy mistake to made on your first build.

jaina

90% of that is because they all have such horrifyingly generic names. Videogame names have really shit the bed. There was some game announced last E3 that was like a joke videogame name but I can't even remember it.
Not E3, but I thought the same for Matterfall, announced at Paris Games Week 2015.
I've stopped listening to Alt+F1 since it went free.
I started, because the 2 minutes setup for the premium feed is too much.

Whaaaaaaat? Which video has the Beast crew playing Mario Maker?
~ the last third of http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/vinnyvania-rondo-of-blood-part-05/2300-11110/

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Tubobutts

The newest UPF refuses to play past 1:26:04 for me.

Looks like they reuploaded it and now it works normally.

Man, lag in VR must be insane.

Strax

Boy that quantum break quick look sure explained why Jeff wasn't a fan of the combat - he was playing it like a cover shooter

I haven't played QB but from the little I've seen I get a big Shadows of Mordor and Dishonored vibes in the sense that unless the games forces you to use most of your powers you can quickly forget about them. You can finish Shadows of Mordor using only the Batman combat and the bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom