• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I wonder if Demo Derby just doesn't do good numbers for them which is why it is so inconsistent.

Because we know from MGScanlon that them not enjoying something is no barrier to them playing it.

Myggen

Still, thinking about giantbomb content now, I don't think I've ever really found that there's a lack of it, and I consume a lot of it. The only produced video content I'm watching nowadays are giantbomb, cricket and cooking shows, which is a weird mix now that I think about it.

I can totally see the argument about premium being lacking, but the combined free stuff and premium is honestly nice weekly routine for me now. I understand people's frustration with the stagnation of premium, but for me I enjoy the entire package so much that I might as well show some support to keep this thing I like going.

Agreed. I've always personally seen premium more as a support to keep the site going, which Jeff has said that it basically is, than access to more content. More regular shit is always a good thing of course, but I feel that I get my money's worth and then some. Aside from selected TV shows and movies I basically only watch GB and the NBA now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wonder if Demo Derby just doesn't do good numbers for them which is why it is so inconsistent.

Because we know from MGScanlon that them not enjoying something is no barrier to them playing it.

If we're to judge views from the amount of comments they usually do pretty well.

If they're in it for the views though they would just stream ufc 2 24/7.

Myggen

DD does well for them going by the Most Popular tab on the site, though we obviously don't know exact numbers and such.

People would get as bored of Demo Derby as they did with MGS if it was too regular.

I remember Jeff saying they were trying to build a bunch of stuff to cycle between so it all felt fresh but that's kind of not happened.

It'd be pretty hard to get bored of something that by definition is like 10 mini retro QLs per episode (as opposed to the endless drag of MGSV) but I also don't think one a month is too frequent

This Samorost game is adorable.

yeah even though it's not anything unexpected from the series, they still kind of outdid themselves on the artwork and everything. it's cute.

There was a period of time when we were getting a consistent Tuesday or Wednesday premium stream that would rotate in addition to UPF and whatever ongoing thing was going at the time. But then an E3 or other event happened and it was all blown to shit.

It seems like whenever they do get into a consistent groove when it comes to content (particularly premium) something occurs that throws that off and it takes forever for them to recover and I can not understand why.

Myggen

There was a period of time when we were getting a consistent Tuesday or Wednesday premium stream that would rotate in addition to UPF and whatever ongoing thing was going at the time. But then an E3 or other event happened and it was all blown to shit.

It seems like whenever they do get into a consistent groove when it comes to content (particularly premium) something occurs that throws that off and it takes forever for them to recover and I can not understand why

When was that? Generally the Wednesday streams have been non premium.

Jesus, it's 4am here. Need to go to bed.

Tagyhag

I know it's a lot of work but for premium content I'd love more long streams for older systems like they did with 3D0 and CD-I.

Did they ever do one for the Jag?

Ranking of Fighters is pretty much the one piece of fighting game content I find interesting. New games every time, you never know what game they're going to play, Jeff and Jason is a good combo and this is the best place for that to happen, Warren is a beautiful man, etc.

Too bad they're both terrible at fighting games.

I'm certainly not saying there's not enough content or they're not working hard or anything, I'm just specifically talking about the quality of the premium content, which has been more inconsistent lately than before. I'm hoping that MGSV coming to an end means they can use that time to do something more worth their time for both their sake and the viewers. make Demo Derby monthy at the least please

Yeah, its tough for a crew of their size to please all comers. I personally don't feel like my premium is wasted, but yeah, a consistent thing besides UPF would be nice. I also with BEast would bring back the Choose Your Own Adventure thing, as I grew tired of Castelvania long ago. But, at least we can look forward to the next episode of the long running series Blight Club.

Patryn

I think East feels more prolific because they're constantly changing up what their weekly show is.

So UPF can start to feel a bit stale, while the constant change-up on East means that just because you don't like what they're doing this week, you may love next week's show.

In addition, they have Project B.E.A.S.T., which technically only ran for about 15 episodes. Closest West comparison is Metal Gear Scanlon, which has been running for over a year and, like UPF, feels a bit stale.

It's not?

DyquJid.gif

God is QB as disjointed as this quick look makes it look?

I feel the FMV's are unessecarry for sure but I don't mind them. The story so far is intriguing but I haven't reached the end to know how good it is. At the same time, having you play as the antagonist to make the choices is a very weird decision. It's like do you do things that benefit the hero or the antagonist even though both choices fuck one or the other in some ways? I still don't know what to make of that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
DyquJid.gif

I feel the FMV's are unessecarry for sure but I don't mind them. The story so far is intriguing but I haven't reached the end to know how good it is. At the same time, having you play as the antagonist to make the choices is a very weird decision. It's like do you do things that benefit the hero or the antagonist even though both choices fuck one or the other in some ways? I still don't know what to make of that.

They did do the thing shown in that gif in the ql. Is it the extent of the time powers?

I feel like they're trying to cram 3 concepts together and have no idea how to fit them.

They did do the thing shown in that gif in the ql. Is it the extent of the time powers?

I feel like they're trying to cram 3 concepts together and have no idea how to fit them.

I'm in Act 3 so I don't know if there are more powers but for the time being you could
time rush(you're faster than everything around you), time dash(a quick dash recommended for fast escapes but you could also aim after you do it so it gives you a few seconds of slomo), time shield/bubble(shields you from bullets), time vision(shows you the enemies, collectibles, guns and ammo in your vicinity) and time stop(which stops everything in the bubble you threw).
I'm playing it on Hard and the A.I is pretty good with flanking you so using cover is almost a fool's errand(though in some places it totally works with you just playing it as a 100% cover shooter), you should mostly just chain powers with shooting + using others that got done charging.

Here's the kicker though, the upgrades in this game acquire you to collect a thing called Chronon and these things are invisible. You can't see or collect them unless they are within your vicinity and you use time vision, these upgrades really help you in making the flow of combat much better when you're chaining shit.

justjim89

The UPF archive on he site isn't playing for me at all, and on the Video Buddy I'm getting an error message saying my credentials couldn't be authenticated for every premium video. Anyone know how to fix this?

yami4ct

the video player is hot ass

It's not great, but it's still in the top half of internet video players. They are almost universally dog shit. Twitch is almost unusable on all but great internet, and even it's not the worst video player around.

That's cool. I'd just like a better cycle or interaction of powers, if what Jeff described on the bombcast was accurate.

So far from my experience in the first 2 acts, I have been frustrated with the cooldown system because you can't really manage them in a chain. Like your dodge will be on cooldown but your time stop won't be, or vice versa. I wish they had gone with Drew's idea and had a time meter, so that as long as I managed my meter properly, I could chain abilities more fluidly.

So far from my experience in the first 2 acts, I have been frustrated with the cooldown system because you can't really manage them in a chain. Like your dodge will be on cooldown but your time stop won't be, or vice versa. I wish they had gone with Drew's idea and had a time meter, so that as long as I managed my meter properly, I could chain abilities more fluidly.

The fix for that is upgrading and here in lies the problem I mentioned above, it relies on something that's invisible which is straight up bull. You need to be pressing time vision almost at all times to locate one.

TIME VISION!

you know... to see things that only time lets you see!

like things

It's even worse because you can only see a chronon if it's near you. I'm really enjoying the game but decisions such as these are really annoying, the reward is though that during combat I'm having the time of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom