• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blastoise

Banned
Please kill off any more Dan and Drew metal gear related content. I just can't take it.

But I would love for the duo to do something new. Way too much potential.

Peru

I don't think the GB premium content has been super great lately---- but there's so much free content. All together the site gives us more content than anyone could ask for from that size of a team, both in text, podcast and video - it's great. But it does feel like they're giving away too much for free relative to premium content

For Super Mario Maker I wish Jeff and Dan would use a couple of episodes to sit down and try to create a fun, great level. Screw the chat requests and use their collective experiences with platforming to create a decently challenging but well-designed course.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel that while I wasn't super stoked with how MGScanlon V turned out compared to the rest of the series (which was more about the game than them really), seeing it through was the right thing to do.

I feel like it kinda reflects the game itself. It was just a bummer way for the series to end. At least they create fun moments, whereas I probably would never see MGSV through if I played it myself.

Blastoise

Banned
UPF is the only premium content I consume now. Especially since f1.cool became free.

Most of the Giant Bomb premium content feels zero effort. My subscription feels like a donation more than a service fee.

Wunder

UPF is the only premium content I consume now. Especially since f1.cool became free.

Most of the Giant Bomb premium content feels zero effort. My subscription feels like a donation more than a service fee.

What feels zero effort to you? I have a hard time differentiating between premium and non-premium as I kind of just consume all the content as it comes out be it live or recorded. Outside of a handful of QLs or an event live stream I don't feel like GB is ever the kind of place that has a lot of preparation put into things.

When premium was introduced I subbed because I simply wanted more content and more stuff with the dudes, I certainly wasn't subscribing off the promise of some specific produced content nor did I expect that much content out of it.

Antiwhippy

Though that's probably because back when it was introduced all they had was the whiskey media happy hour.

If you want to talk about dark times...

Blastoise

Banned
Premium doesn't feel like premium is my exact point. Its just the same production behind a paywall.

My point is I'm consuming more free content than premium content. So having a subscription is moot, because to me its more like a donation to Giant Bomb.

Antiwhippy

Eh you know, standards have changed. There was a period where there was just a glut of premium content, at the point where it was at the expense of free content, and while it's not at its weakest right now it's not exactly at its strongest either, mostly because of a couple of long running series having to be finished and also it seems like they're trying to find the right balance between free and premium. Also for some reason Brad just don't do premium series anymore.

As I've said before, just isolating premium by itself I can see why people feel frustrated, but as a whole package I'm happy enough to pay what I paid for giantbomb.

Also if it's something I use a lot I'm willing to pay to not have ads.

Zaph

Eh, it'd be nice if GBWest were more regular with their better features, but all in all, they're still putting out way more content than I can watch (have yet to check out the last Demo Derby...) and what they lack in predictability, they make up for in being able to do an 11 hour live stream when the need arises.

It's also worth remembering that the premium membership isn't just for premium content - you're paying to access the regular content ad-free and support it directly instead.

JonCha

For Super Mario Maker I wish Jeff and Dan would use a couple of episodes to sit down and try to create a fun, great level. Screw the chat requests and use their collective experiences with platforming to create a decently challenging but well-designed course.

SMM is boring me a little, I think because the chat continues to ask for SMW and the novelty of creating a ridiculously hard level has worn off. I also don't enjoy watching them build the level - the actual trying to compete it is more enjoyable for me.

And as for MGScanlon, I quickly tailed off after the first installment. I couldn't stomach watching the drip feed of episodes for a game that long.

oti

Banned
It's also worth remembering that the premium membership isn't just for premium content - you're paying to access the regular content ad-free and support it directly instead.

Well, I rarely use the GB side for free videos, their player is just bad. I haven't subscribed to the premium podcast feed (I don't even know how to do this in Pocket Casts) so I get the ads (I just skip them, it's not too bad).

I think it's interesting how GB has grown in size and how they cover so much stuff now I don't care about, but I can't complain about not having enough content and supporting them being so different from all the screaming YouTube kids out there is worth the money.

Also kinda ironic that they talked about not wanting to cover comics and movies and so on not too long ago and instead spread their wings to wrestling and Formula 1. GB gotta do GB and that's great.

Well, I rarely use the GB side for free videos, their player is just bad. I haven't subscribed to the premium podcast feed (I don't even know how to do this in Pocket Casts) so I get the ads (I just skip them, it's not too bad).

I think it's interesting how GB has grown in size and how they cover so much stuff now I don't care about, but I can't complain about not having enough content and supporting them being so different from all the screaming YouTube kids out there is worth the money.

Also kinda ironic that they talked about not wanting to cover comics and movies and so on not too long ago and instead spread their wings to wrestling and Formula 1. GB gotta do GB and that's great.

I think what they (Jeff) have said is they don't want to cover X just because every other gaming site does that. Instead they cover what interests them. I'm sure Jeff wouldn't be opposed to a comics podcast, for example, if people actually wanted to do one.

FStop7

Banned
It would be great if the movie podcast would return but there's the time zone difference and their hectic schedules, plus finding time to actually coordinate movies to watch and discuss... that's rough.

Guess Who

Banned
SMM is boring me a little, I think because the chat continues to ask for SMW and the novelty of creating a ridiculously hard level has worn off. I also don't enjoy watching them build the level - the actual trying to compete it is more enjoyable for me.

i wish dan would get over his nostalgia and embrace the level design sadism you can pull off with nsmb walljumping/sliding/buttstomping

JonCha

i wish dan would get over his nostalgia and embrace the level design sadism you can pull off with nsmb walljumping/sliding/buttstomping

Yeah, fair points. I feel like they couldn't use any other palette than NSMB because the others actually have fewer abilities than SMW (i.e. no spin jumping). Though to to be fair to them, it's the chat deciding which game to go off.

Meneses

Since I started subscribing a couple years ago I stopped distinguishing between free and premium content, it feels the same to me.

I'm not really thinking about "am I getting my money's worth?", Giant Bomb is probably my main source of entertainment outside of videogames and my subscription is a small way of helping them keep at it.

Now, that doesn't mean that content (premium or free) shouldn't be under scrutiny; it definitely should. I think a more regular schedule would be a good thing, for example. But we should be able to criticize freely (and I mean proper criticism, not just lame insults and shit like that) without fear of being reproached by GB fans who keep saying everything is always perfect so that their senpai notices them, or whatever.

The problem is, the viewers' tastes are so varied that it's pretty much impossible to keep everyone happy. Like, I love Demo Derby and I really can't stand any more Mario Maker, but there's people who feel the exact opposite. We'll find avid defenders / critics for pretty much any type of content.

It's hard to juggle that and that's why I feel that in the end they should do what they like - there's nothing less interesting than seeing the guys go through the motions not having any fun.

If Giant Bomb ever disappears I will probably stop watching any kind of videogame related entertainment, I just can't stand all that overhype and hyperactive screaming from other places.

I never even think about my subscription or what I'm getting for it. I pay once a year and as far as I'm concerned it helps the site stick around which is all I really want. I do the same for a podcast I listen to with a patreon, I don't really have anything to do with their patreon content, but I pay because I hope it keeps them around longer.

Rainmaker

Banned
Since I started subscribing a couple years ago I stopped distinguishing between free and premium content, it feels the same to me.

I'm not really thinking about "am I getting my money's worth?", Giant Bomb is probably my main source of entertainment outside of videogames and my subscription is a small way of helping them keep at it.

Now, that doesn't mean that content (premium or free) shouldn't be under scrutiny; it definitely should. I think a more regular schedule would be a good thing, for example.

The problem is, the viewers' tastes are so varied that it's pretty much impossible to keep everyone happy. Like, I love Demo Derby and I really can't stand any more Mario Maker, but there's people who feel the exact opposite. We'll find avid defenders / critics for pretty much any type of content.

It's hard to juggle that and that's why I feel that in the end they should do what they like - there's nothing less interesting than seeing the guys go through the motions not having any fun.

If Giant Bomb ever disappears I will probably stop watching any kind of videogame related entertainment, I just can't stand all that overhype and hyperactive screaming from other places.

Agreed 100% with this (except I still love me some Mario Maker content when it's spread out like it is). Wrestling and Giant Bomb make up 95% of my entertainment. I literally watch GB like it's a continuous reality based TV channel about some people playing games.

Zaph

Same. I'm not saying there aren't any other good content creators out there, but at this stage, if GB ever shutters so does my interest, as the majority of the entertainment 'culture' surrounding video games is terrible and not worth sifting through.

Wunder

Now, that doesn't mean that content (premium or free) shouldn't be under scrutiny; it definitely should. I think a more regular schedule would be a good thing, for example. But we should be able to criticize freely (and I mean proper criticism, not just lame insults and shit like that) without fear of being reproached by GB fans who keep saying everything is always perfect so that their senpai notices them, or whatever.

Yeah I agree, and I didn't wanna be 'that' guy that comes to defend GB at every moment but I kind of just enjoy most if not all the content they put out. I might not watch it the second it comes out but I'll get to it eventually

Strax

Now, that doesn't mean that content (premium or free) shouldn't be under scrutiny; it definitely should. I think a more regular schedule would be a good thing, for example. But we should be able to criticize freely (and I mean proper criticism, not just lame insults and shit like that) without fear of being reproached by GB fans who keep saying everything is always perfect so that their senpai notices them, or whatever..

Preach

I just wish they stuck to a streaming schedule. West is so damn bad about that outside of UPF. They already have like 4 shows trading spots for what they do on Wednesday but then it gets even more spread out when they don't stream every wednesday.

Antiwhippy

I just wish they stuck to a streaming schedule. West is so damn bad about that outside of UPF. They already have like 4 shows trading spots for what they do on Wednesday but then it gets even more spread out when they don't stream every wednesday.

Is there a streaming schedule other than upf?

kingocfs

$50 a year for just UPF is still worth it for me considering I watch every one. And especially considering what I pay for other services and how little I use them in comparison.

Everything else is gravy.

Antiwhippy

GBEast usually puts out a stream on Wednesday and/or Friday, but I guess it's not a set thing?

West seemed to be streaming every wed for a while and Beast has done pretty well streaming each friday and a second day in the week. It at least seemed like a schedule there for a while.

Weird, maybe it's because any stream other than the ones during the weekends is terrible for me schedule-wise but I can't seem to recall the last regular mid-week stream?

I know they do random streams mid-week from time to time but not anything regular.

Wunder

Weird, maybe it's because any stream other than the ones during the weekends is terrible for me schedule-wise but I can't seem to recall the last regular mid-week stream?

I know they do random streams mid-week from time to time but not anything regular.

I mean its not usually confirmed until on the day itself but between Playdates, CYOA and other misc streams GBEast puts out a stream regularly once a week if not twice.

They did Old Game show for a string of weeks then it seemed to switch to Ranking of Fighters for a string of weeks then those two and MM seemed to just switch out at random and then they all just seemed to stop being regular for intermittent MM.

Antiwhippy

Oh yeah, I forget that RoF and old games show were livestreamed.

Also looking at the schedule GBeast haven't done a mid-week stream in quite awhile, except maybe that Dark souls 3 thing? No premium stuff from what I can see though.

Yeah, it's the same for me. Except most of the time I watch more Giant Bomb than I play games.

As to what content I enjoy from them, MGSV is the first series in the three or so years I've subscribed that I've stopped watching. I'll probably check out the finale.

KorrZ

GBEast has kept me on premium, tbh if it was just GBWest I probably would have cancelled until they built up some backlog of content.

Vinny seems to be the key. It's almost like he was the driving force behind a lot of premium content (and the best premium content imo) Load our Last Save, Random PC game, Breaking Brad - Vinny was in on all of it and now at GBEast he's still getting that premium content done.

Without Vinny it seems like no one over at GBwest cares to do their own series outside of MGScanlon.

Patryn

Oh yeah, I forget that RoF and old games show were livestreamed.

Also looking at the schedule GBeast haven't done a mid-week stream in quite awhile, except maybe that Dark souls 3 thing? No premium stuff from what I can see though.
They did a live stream of them reacting to the Scott Manley video just last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom