• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

convo

A dark souls QL is a life time worth of explanations and confusion that will not be addressed in a single video by just two guys who are still at the beginning of the game.Hopefully people don't see them as experts of the game right now as some people here seemed to believe. A great QL though.

LiK

After Rondo of Blood, I was kinda disappointed with them jumping into Mario Maker. That was pretty unwatchable. It was just them dying over and over and getting annoyed. We got enough MM from the West crew. I don't need to watch anymore of it. Ended up bailing on that.

Tubobutts

After Rondo of Blood, I was kinda disappointed with them jumping into Mario Maker. That was pretty unwatchable. It was just them dying over and over and getting annoyed. We got enough MM from the West crew. I don't need to watch anymore of it. Ended up bailing on that.
I don't think that was meant to be a serious thing. It was just them having time left and Vinny showing them his kid's levels since they were already using the Wii U.

I usually hate MM but I thought it was great seeing levels Max had made and watch them attempt to beat them.

Myggen

A dark souls QL is a life time worth of explanations and confusion that will not be addressed in a single video by just two guys who are still at the beginning of the game.Hopefully people don't see them as experts of the game right now as some people here seemed to believe. A great QL though.

The point of them doing the QL as opposed to Austin is probably because they're both pretty early into the game.

it was probably just easier to play something else on the Wii U for the rest of the show than to try and set up another machine for stuff. I get the sense that their studio isn't nearly as flexible as GBWest

That was the best part of the stream.

I'm never in the chat, I just enjoyed seeing them bang their heads against the utter chaos Max had created.

The best was in the first level Austin trying to make sense out of the random POW block that is on a ledge even though it's probably just a lucky one that didn't fall through the map with all the rest of them at the start.

convo

The point of them doing the QL as opposed to Austin is probably because they're both pretty early into the game.

They are trying to make overall impressions of the entire game based on that and what they hear from Reviews. Based on that it still feels too preemptive for my tastes, but they know that they are going to play the game to completion so it shouldn't matter to other people.

Jintor

finished hyper light drifter on normal and i think i'm done. I really enjoyed it but it's got enough tiny minor problems I don't quite want to go back and just explore for collectibles or whatever. the art and music and just stttyyyleeeeeee is glorious, but the gameplay is just this little bit off perfect.

also no boss rush mode, booooo

SomberOwl

Anyone else get Dark Souls 3 from Amazon early today? Mine came at like 8:00am this morning eastern. Going to jump into that later today. Never had a game come early from Amazon before.

Vinny was "good" at Dark Souls

Anyone else get Dark Souls 3 from Amazon early today? Mine came at like 8:00am this morning eastern. Going to jump into that later today. Never had a game come early from Amazon before.

the only games they've sent me early before were PS4 games before the PS4 was even out

thanks bros

convo

I think DS3 is a great game for people who never played one before or at least DS1, so i will continue to violently disagree with half of the Bombcrew about everything.

KingKong

the funny thing is that his playthroughs of Souls games kind of proves that you don't have to be "gud" to actually be good at those games, and I'm sure that pisses off a specific demographic to no end

I mean hell I've beaten those games and I'm awful at them

A lot of that demographic doesn't really exist and is just "prepare to die" marketing, Souls games are not that difficult and have plenty of ways of making it easier for yourself. We're not talking about Ninja Gaiden here

the funny thing is that his playthroughs of Souls games kind of proves that you don't have to be "gud" to actually be good at those games, and I'm sure that pisses off a specific demographic to no end

I think it's a game of patience. As long as you don't get too mad too easily and you don't get too put down by having to run through areas multiple times when you have to you can pretty much brute force your way through the games.

LiK

Which is why the Souls games are considered pretty fair (except for a handful of bosses). As long as you practice and figure out the patterns, you can pretty much beat the games with no major issues.

hamchan

Vinny barrelling through the last half of DS1 with fat armour and heavy weapons was pretty hilarious.

A lot of that demographic doesn't really exist and is just "prepare to die" marketing, Souls games are not that difficult and have plenty of ways of making it easier for yourself. We're not talking about Ninja Gaiden here

they probably don't exist in real life but they sure do exist on the internet, which makes trying to find information or discussion about those games obnoxious. because yeah, they're not very hard for the most part, once you know what you're supposed to do or where to go. need to find where to go? have fun wading through smug asshole posts to find good information.

since Brad was talking about lore videos, anybody have any links to good ones? or sites.

Myggen

As expected I`ve gotten a lot of classy PMs on Youtube lately.

S9vZ1IN.png

Wonder why, heh.

Yeah, my biggest issue in playing through Dark Souls for the first time hasn't been the combat (which is challenging but fair) but instead finding out where the fuck to go next.

Yeah, my biggest issue in playing through Dark Souls for the first time hasn't been the combat (which is challenging but fair) but instead finding out where the fuck to go next.

I remember playing the first Dark Souls and not knowing where to go forever because I had the key to the Lower Undead Berg(I think this was the one, door by the dragon bridge) and it was before I knew to really read item descriptions.

Strax

Are you copping pleas?

have you found the maps for those games generally totally inscrutable? I had the DS1 book, whose maps were almost unreadable, and I used ones on a Bloodborne wiki that were just as bad. I've had to rely on awful youtube videos more often than not, usually with some dumb opening music and "HEEEYYYY what's up guys, it's ya boy..." before they get to things

fuckin' me too. Main reason why I stopped playing Dark Souls 2 after like 20+ hours
I think a lot of the DARK SOULS IS HARD stuff comes from a generation of console gamers growing with press-A-to-win style big budget AAA games that tried to appeal to everyone by being incredibly easy and, more importantly, not punishing the player for their lack of patience and strategy.

Still, these games seemed to have gotten easier with each iteration. Demon's is still one of those most rewarding experiences I've ever had if only because of how intense each stage is with its whole do-it-in-one-run design. Bonfires made things so much easier.

I try not to use guides for these games but, yeah, this shit kinda sucks and I'll use one after a while if I can't figure it out.

But it also works really well for the games, too, because when you discover a path on your won and see it through to its end, that's a cool feeling to have

LiK

That's the fun of exploration and getting rekt by unknown enemies. Personally, I like to know what to go as well so I tend to use guides for that when I play the games.

Still, these games seemed to have gotten easier with each iteration. Demon's is still one of those most rewarding experiences I've ever had if only because of how intense each stage is with its whole do-it-in-one-run design. Bonfires made things so much easier.

but on the other hand, Demon's was also the one most susceptible to broken builds and cheesing enemies so it ultimately kind of evened out. it's still my favorite of them all.

As expected I`ve gotten a lot of classy PMs on Youtube lately.

S9vZ1IN.png

Wonder why, heh.

Yep, just as expected. Still the right decision on your part though. The comments on the video of the Bombcast's coverage played out predictably.

have you found the maps for those games generally totally inscrutable? I had the DS1 book, whose maps were almost unreadable, and I used ones on a Bloodborne wiki that were just as bad. I've had to rely on awful youtube videos more often than not, usually with some dumb opening music and "HEEEYYYY what's up guys, it's ya boy..." before they get to things

Yep, I take one look at things like this:

And I'm about fifty times more confused than where I was before I checked. I know the blind exploration is part of the game, but man, I think even a rudimentary in-game map would do a lot of good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom