• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The inherent insanity and unexpected mechanics (bowser chasing you) of the first few Mario makers + Patrick's stuff is some of the best stuff to come out of giantbomb in awhile.

It seems to be the effect of trying things live that results in certain failure. With Austin having beaten the game they should have not encounterd any problems of that kind anymore.
And i wonder who is gonna do the DS3 Ql. Maybe it's gonna be a coop quick look between the coasts? Or it's already recorded

Austin holding off on his review due to technical issues makes me think that he might have had some more bad luck during the course of playing it, either way I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Frenden

Banned
The inherent insanity and unexpected mechanics (bowser chasing you) of the first few Mario makers + Patrick's stuff is some of the best stuff to come out of giantbomb in awhile.

The moment when Bowser started to chase Dan during the level building was genuinely amazing.

justjim89

I'm pretty excited for Dark Souls 3, eager to read Austin's review of it.

I've been playing DS2:SOTFS all day, though, and man that's just making me hate Dark Souls 2. Maybe my build just sucks, but I've just been banging my head against it all day. Harder enemies in earlier locations, respawning enemies that usually don't respawn, ugh. All the little changes just push it too far onto the side of hard for the sake of being hard.

Antiwhippy

I'm pretty excited for Dark Souls 3, eager to read Austin's review of it.

I've been playing DS2:SOTFS all day, though, and man that's just making me hate Dark Souls 2. Maybe my build just sucks, but I've just been banging my head against it all day. Harder enemies in earlier locations, respawning enemies that usually don't respawn, ugh. All the little changes just push it too far onto the side of hard for the sake of being hard.

Yeah, that's what's making me hesitant to pick it up. Those knight fuckers in the giants area just seems... unnecessary?

justjim89

Yeah, that's what's making me hesitant to pick it up. Those knight fuckers in the giants area just seems... unnecessary?

Yep. I can understand why they're there from a lore perspective, since they are Heide's knights, but then take away the big knights. Maybe nerf their damage a bit if they're going to respawn. But currently I'm stuck between the lost sinner fight and that area, so I don't know what else to do. I got pretty far in vanilla DS2 before stopping, and I don't remember much coming up after that I'm looking forward to seeing again.

AcridMeat

Banned
There's an active reload perk from Gears called Cogged up or something

��

This game is so good
Yeah I heard about that one! Haven't found it yet myself.
I do hope (and expect) the guns get more ridiculous and interesting than those in the QL. The game also doesn't seem to have ability stacking the way BoI does, but I can still see myself dumping a lot of time into it.
There are passive pick ups that do stack, so I think you're catered for there too.

Something I just started getting into as well...
when you free prisoners they will give you side quests to complete for stuff in the hub as well
I just nearly ran the gauntlet thanks to the Ghostbusters photon backpack/Deckard's pistol from Blade Runner combination.

I legit can't stop playing it. Send help.
Holy crap! I had an awesome run earlier today as the hunter. I was making my way through level 3 with something called a fightsabre (it's amazing) and the proton pack, as well as 3 other guns and a few passive upgrades.

It ended because I fell down a shaft I didn't know wasn't ground with only 1/2 a heart left. :(

I have 7 hours played now, and while I'd like to get some work done, I think I may just stream playing it instead.
Stuff like this makes me wish there was a good Futurama game. That PS2 game had its moments (like the time machine that is crank operated, you crank it for 1 minute and it'll send you back in time by a minute) but it was pretty shitty overall.

Enter the Gungeon seems great though.
Dude, I have very very vivid memories playing that heap of trash on the original xbox. I was such a huge fan of the show that I bought it immediately when it came out. I actually enjoyed the cutscenes and all of the references with collectibles and loading screens, but the camera was dogshit. I actually turned on god mode just to finish it because I wanted more of the story scenes. Ugh I looked up the Gamespot FAQ for it so many times just to figure out how to progress too.

I would absolutely love a good Futurama game. I feel like if they made a Stick of Truth-sque game (not in terms of gameplay, but just production value) that was like a simpler Mass Effect or something that would be incredible.

ThomasCro

I am really sad with what happened to Quantum Break. It is like a capsule from 2008, would have been mind blowing then.

PS. Wanted to ask the duders which Fight Night game has the best career mode?

3, 4 or Champion?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I am really sad with what happened to Quantum Break. It is like a capsule from 2008, would have been mind blowing then.

3, 4 or Champion?

Champion's is amazing in all the worst ways

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, how fucked is Dead Island 2 going to be when it launches?

Because man I feel like that thing has been in development forever.

Curufinwe

yeah i didn't understand why they did that for SOTFS just made me more angry with the game

I was all ready to play my first Dark Souls game after finishing Bloodborne and was looking forward to the 60 fps, and then I read they added in bunches of tough enemies and immediately lost interest.

ThomasCro

I was all ready to play my first Dark Souls game after finishing Bloodborne and was looking forward to the 60 fps, and then I read they added in bunches of tough enemies and immediately lost interest.

All the hype around the game got me to buy my first Dark Souls game and I'm currently playing the Prepare to Die Edition and loving it.

TraBuch

Banned
Today I learned that one of the few gaming YouTubers that I really like watched all of the Persona 4 ER. My worlds are colliding.

My worlds are colliding.

tumblr_m3n6df9b9u1r54whfo1_250.gif

LiK

Beat Quantum Break over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. Kinda wish Dan would check it out for himself instead of dismissing it because of what Jeff said from the Quick Look. Not a long game and I liked the story and characters.

I am probably never going to play Quantum Break thanks to how busted the PC version seems and it being tied to the Windows store.

I got some dumb time travel questions.

In the early game do you meet a future version of yourself and then later in the game play that same sequence but as that future self meeting your past self?

At the end of the game do you have to travel back to the start of whatever caused all the bad stuff to happen and make sure that doesn't happen? But doing so means sacrificing a character you grew to like through the story?

Do you ever go to "the end of time" / a alternative future where the bad thing destroys the world?

Is Sam Lake in the game? In game or fake TV show? (or both)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

3, 4 or Champion?

Champion is the one with the pretty well-done story mode, other than that I don't remember career (Legacy in champion) changing much from 4 to Champion. I've heard people prefer the boxing in the older games but it's been so long since I played 3(skipped 4) that I don't really remember.

Tubobutts

I'd like them to do some sort of series thing with Dark Souls 3. Drew said he wants to play it and I think it's his first Souls game. That would be a good idea for a series, Drew playing a popular game/series for the first time.

justjim89

I thought I've been watching every MGScanlon V, but somehow I missed the part where
Quiet leaves
. That part of the story is maybe the only thing in the whole game resembling emotional resonance, now I gotta go looking back to see where it happened.

Bacon

I'd like them to do some sort of series thing with Dark Souls 3. Drew said he wants to play it and I think it's his first Souls game. That would be a good idea for a series, Drew playing a popular game/series for the first time.

I don't even want to imagine the comments on those videos

hamchan

Nah he should start from Demon's Souls and go through all the games. We can also have the series last nearly two whole years too because that's fun.

MG310

I thought I've been watching every MGScanlon V, but somehow I missed the part where
Quiet leaves
. That part of the story is maybe the only thing in the whole game resembling emotional resonance, now I gotta go looking back to see where it happened.

I'm not sure if it happened yet. They might have just neglected to check the buddy menu to see if she was recovered from the chemical burn scene yet.

justjim89

I'm not sure if it happened yet. They might have just neglected to check the buddy menu to see if she was recovered from the chemical burn scene yet.

Right. They made some reference to her not being there and I assumed I missed something. I'm a dope.

Lunar FC

it wasn't great, despite Dan's efforts, and then we whined about the current state of premium content for a while and blah blah

It's honestly the worst its been since ive been a member.

All down hill since my first upf.
The pogs one.

Edit: But now that I've gone back through all the old premium content, the membership doesn't seem to be worth the cost.

Megasoum

Banned
Really starting to wonder what the fuck is happening at Gamespot.

On one side there's a ton of people who left in the last couple of months.

On the other hand Danny is doing a shit ton more stuff on his personal youtube channel than he's doing on the site proper. He's at a point now where he has podcast and a bunch of distinct shows and he makes videos to updates his followers on his future plans.

Even Mary is doing her own Youtube show now.

Antiwhippy

It's honestly the worst its been since ive been a member.

All down hill since my first upf.
The pogs one.

Edit: But now that I've gone back through all the old premium content, the membership doesn't seem to be worth the cost.

The last 3 before last week's was honestly pretty great though.

On the other hand Danny is doing a shit ton more stuff on his personal youtube channel than he's doing on the site proper. He's at a point now where he has podcast and a bunch of distinct shows and he makes videos to updates his followers on his future plans.

Giant Spot dot com founded by Danny and Mary, coming soon™

Trying to build up their personal brands so people engage with the site beyond looking at review scores would be my guess. I mean if you look at their live streams or non review stuff it doesn't seem like there's a ton of people watching that stuff. While traffic will be solid because it's one of the only big sites remaining, they probably need to form a bigger following of people who are engaged. Isn't that part of the reason they laid off a bunch of the staff a few years ago, and have brought in more video focused people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom