• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

A regular schedule would be nice. It's weird that they sometimes get into one and then something happens and it stops.

I'm saving the rest of Metal Gear Scanlon for the inevitable Pax drought.

Oh yeah, I forget that RoF and old games show were livestreamed.

Also looking at the schedule GBeast haven't done a mid-week stream in quite awhile, except maybe that Dark souls 3 thing? No premium stuff from what I can see though.

Just did the project beast watching project beast stream then that Dark Souls 3 stream, but then there was a gap before those. I think Vinny even seemed to say the guys were trying to figure out a schedule but I dunno.

Patryn

Just did the project beast watching project beast stream then that Dark Souls 3 stream, but then there was a gap before those. I think Vinny even seemed to say the guys were trying to figure out a schedule but I dunno.
They were taking vacations prior to that, so they were skeleton crewed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, just recalled that the scott manley stream is livestreamed. Other than that though it's been awhile, and their premium stuff is usually relegated to the friday show now.

Like I honestly don't know why people say East has more premium content than West, which isn't really true? Unless you mean more unique, which I guess it depends. It's been mostly rondo of blood for awhile now though. Which I do like a lot. Fills that breaking brad hole in my heart.

They were taking vacations prior to that, so they were skeleton crewed.

Yeah, that's it. But I also feel like I remember Vinny talking about the whole site trying to figure out a schedule around that time and I think I just assumed that's why they were taking breaks off streams, but I could be completely making this up. I'm running on too little of sleep to know what is real and not at this point.

I don't think anyone has said GBeast has more premium content have they? The common praise for GBeast's output seems to be that it's consistent and varied.
Yeah, that's it. But I also feel like I remember Vinny talking about the whole site trying to figure out a schedule around that time and I think I just assumed that's why they were taking breaks off streams, but I could be completely making this up. I'm running on too little of sleep to know what is real and not at this point.
You're not going crazy, they paused the Wednesday streams a month or two ago because they were trying to work out a new schedule.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, if I misunderstood than my bad.

Like, I am looking forward to MGScanlon ending not only because I want to see how Drew will react to the ending, but hopefully free them for other stuff. Dan and drew seemed to be the only ones willing to break out into new premium series more, with Brad not doing anything for awhile now and Jeff only starting to helm gametapes recently.

It's also interesting to see the split between East and West in premium content style though. West is more about the conceptual stuff (game tapes, RoF, demo derby) while east is just more about doing full let's plays.

Like, I am looking forward to MGScanlon ending not only because I want to see how Drew will react to the ending, but hopefully free them for other stuff. Dan and drew seemed to be the only ones willing to break out into new premium series more, with Brad not doing anything for awhile now and Jeff only starting to helm gametapes recently.

Yeah, same, I'm one of the (apparently) few folks still enjoying MGScanlon but I'll be glad it's over both for the sake of Drew's sanity and to see what kinda stuff they do to fill that gap.

Jintor

where good place to get dark souls 3? my usual place gmg isn't doing coupons so I kinda ceebs

maybe i'll just wait it out, not like i'm dying to play it or anything, it'd just be nice...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, fair points. I feel like they couldn't use any other palette than NSMB because the others actually have fewer abilities than SMW (i.e. no spin jumping). Though to to be fair to them, it's the chat deciding which game to go off.

They never put NSMB in the poll and ignore requests for it, chat's tried.

Watching that Tail of the Sun Super Replay though made me want Dan and Drew to play all the way through old obscure games that have cult status or something. Dan ended up loving that game like an episode in. It would be cool to see them get into weird obscure games that were maybe before their time or had more obscure game mechanics.

LiK

They really need to do MGRising before they end MGS videos for good. So many great hilarious quotable moments with so many badass bosses. It'll be a nice end to the series.

mintyice

$50 a year for just UPF is still worth it for me considering I watch every one. And especially considering what I pay for other services and how little I use them in comparison.

Everything else is gravy.

UPF's have been kind of bad lately when it's just the core staff + Jeff. Jeff always wants to get out of there in 2 hours and it feels like they do it because they have to, not because they want to. When was the last truly wacky 3 hour UPF? When Vinny was back? It just seems like they are going through the motions, and most of the games they play they end up doing QLs for anyway the next week.

I'm also not really interested in Vinnyvania, or MGS, and don't get me started on LiS. The last really good premium content was probably the Phantasmagoria 2 endurance run. Unless they step up their content game I may not actually resub in a month (not for $50/yr anyway).

repeater

If Dan wanted to show Drew the first Souls game he played they could call it Dank Souls Drew.
"Dark Souls: Scanlon of the First Sin".
I really enjoyed Jason in the role as Souls mentor in the Bradborne series, so a Drew DS3 playthrough with Jason would be pretty cool. But I guess it's ruled out that both SF video guys would be tied up in one and the same video series, and anyway I don't think any kind of Souls playthrough on the site with Drew is very likely. And maybe it's for the best given how much Souls content there already is one the site, though it would be interesting to see super methodical Drew approach a game like that.

Antiwhippy

As apathetic as I am to another souls games, I am getting that souls itch again, and I skipped SOTFS and bloodborne so I might be down for 3.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Give it to me straight

how many times does Jason SWOOSH during the DS3 QL

I really want them to play Rising, considering how much it's a "standard" Metal Gear. It's also very short, so it wouldn't take them long to play through it.

As for another series featuring Dan and Drew, here's an idea:

Dark Scanlon

KingKong

posting for the xth time about a series where Jeff or Brad sits in on Dan playing through classic PC games that he missed

just imagine the comments

I'm pretty excited for Dark Souls 3, eager to read Austin's review of it.

I've been playing DS2:SOTFS all day, though, and man that's just making me hate Dark Souls 2. Maybe my build just sucks, but I've just been banging my head against it all day. Harder enemies in earlier locations, respawning enemies that usually don't respawn, ugh. All the little changes just push it too far onto the side of hard for the sake of being hard.

Yeah, that's what's making me hesitant to pick it up. Those knight fuckers in the giants area just seems... unnecessary?

yeah i didn't understand why they did that for SOTFS just made me more angry with the game

Yep. I can understand why they're there from a lore perspective, since they are Heide's knights, but then take away the big knights. Maybe nerf their damage a bit if they're going to respawn. But currently I'm stuck between the lost sinner fight and that area, so I don't know what else to do. I got pretty far in vanilla DS2 before stopping, and I don't remember much coming up after that I'm looking forward to seeing again.

I had the same complaints but people brushed me off as crazy. Most of those who did that are folks that never played SOTFS and are talking about vanilla DS2, though, so they're likely not aware how fucked DS2SOTFS is at the beginning.

My suggestion? Try to find a shield that can take 100% physical damage so that you can get through some of the earlier, tougher conflicts without getting fucked in every battle.

What ended up happening for me is that I found the Drangleic Set after killing the Pursuer, which includes that sweet 100% phys def shield. Then, after smashing my head repeatedly against the ruins sentinels in Lost Bastille, I ended up being pretty overleveled for the whole Tower of Flame section. Those knights ended up being a joke, especially the smaller dudes that you can easily parry and riposte against.

The game really is brutal upfront but after climbing that initial hours long hill, believe me, it's fucking easy street. I ended up getting one of the great souls ahead of another one on accident so now i have to backtrack and go through a whole chunk of game with weaker enemies to move on, for instance.

My build is pretty much an agile tank though so I dont know if other builds would be any easier. I have literally no spell casting abilities or long range game at all.

LiK

I really want them to play Rising, considering how much it's a "standard" Metal Gear. It's also very short, so it wouldn't take them long to play through it.

As for another series featuring Dan and Drew, here's an idea:

Dark Scanlon

MGR is just plain fun and quite a spectacle. Still not sure how Dan didn't get into it as much as the core MGS series. Drew would totally get into it, imo. He already looked like he was into it when Dan played the prologue in UPF.

Since we're on the subject of paying for premium, to me I consume all their content, all the way back to the old GS days. So, if it means paying to keep the duders doing their thing then I love supporting them. Also, count me in for Drew & Dan finishing MGScanlon with MGR.

If East does anything else, I just want Austin or Alex to have some kind of premium series. Most of what Beast has done so far has mostly been Vinny outside of that horror game which I want to call Dying Light but know it's not.

LiK

If East does anything else, I just want Austin or Alex to have some kind of premium series. Most of what Beast has done so far has mostly been Vinny outside of that horror game which I want to call Dying Light but know it's not.

I think they should consider a Premium series where Alex or Austin plays through a game that they never got around to. Vinny can be the cheerleader this time.

kAmui-

Is Arkham Knight still a shitty broken mess on PC? I think I'd still like to play it someday.

Not as bad as when it released but still sub-par. My 660 couldn't run it after the patch that was supposed to fix things. And they've said there are issues they can't resolve. Such a shame because when the game was working, I was having a blast with it.

You know what game I want to see East play at some point? Tokyo Jungle!

Not as bad as when it released but still sub-par. My 660 couldn't run it after the patch that was supposed to fix things. And they've said there are issues they can't resolve. Such a shame because when the game was working, I was having a blast with it.

You know what game I want to see East play at some point? Tokyo Jungle!

Ah, that's a shame. I have a 980ti, so maybe I can get a decent experience through brute strength.

I agree about Tokyo Jungle! I always wanted to see more of that game.

Is Arkham Knight still a shitty broken mess on PC? I think I'd still like to play it someday.

It's better than it's ever been but it's still a little messy. They appear to have restored some of the missing effects and such and it seems alright, the only exception seems that the bat mobile stuff can be a bit uneven at times.

Dan and Drew should start tackling the Metroid series to counter GBE's Castlevania efforts.

They could call it "Let's Try Metroid"

I dont think metroidvanias work well for a video series. they usually require a lot of poking around and trying to uncover sections of a map, sometimes for stretches of time where little to no progress is made. Especially given that Drew has already said regarding the MGS games that he's basically trying to finish them ASAP and doing so with a heavy emphasis on action because they want the series to be entertaining so I can't see them doing a metroidvania the time needed for it.

It's the reason I think that Vinnyvania should end with SOTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom