• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

no, never once in my entire years of being in this giant bomb thread on neogaf have i, jintor, bought a video game

last mail i got said coupons didn't work for DS3, or was i misreading?

It wasn't working for me before the game launched. Must've switched over when the game went off of 'pre-order'. Oh well. Steam gave me 5% off or so for owning DKS1, so I only spent like $9 more.

yami4ct

Have never played a Souls game and for some reason I feel like jumping in finally.

DS3 or start at the beginning?

If you really care about being in the zeitgeist, DKS3 sounds like a fine place to start. The lore aspect is more of a fun additive for those who dig in than a necessary feature.

If you just want to try it, go with Dark Souls 1 which you can grab really cheaply with the DLC.

Meneses

DS3 definitely feels like a "Best of Souls" and i'm absolutely loving it.

However, I kinda agree with the guys on the QL in the sense that sometimes i'm not sure if i'm into the super obvious references to previous games. I guess it makes sense, this is supposed to be the culmination of a trilogy.

It also appears to be much more linear, which is kinda meeeeh.

Is anyone having trouble logging into the qlcew.com site? For me it won't even load without logging in with my username and password. Even if I try that, it says it's invalid.

repeater

This may end up being my first R+C game ever. Probably get it in a couple weeks after I get tired of Souls and before all the summer games.
As a newcomer, I'm looking forward to R&C too. Tried to play the first game via the R&C collection on Vita a couple of years ago and enjoyed the beginning of the game before I had to bail out at that HORRIBLE hoverboard section. That felt like exactly the kind of game design that time hasn't been kind to, and which I expect not to make a return in this new game.

Wunder

I hope they have a QL out next week, I'm excited for R&C because it's been so long but I'm also not sure if the same gameplay will be enough to keep me hooked. I find those games pretty easy for the most part and I'm not the kinda guy to hunt for secrets either, but the low price tag is tempting to just grab it and play through over a weekend.

I am glad Ratchet and Clank seems good. Uncharted should be good too.

My interest in PS4 exclusive stuff has been flagging for a while.

It sucks there is such a delay on it in UK.

As odd as it is that Ratchet is delayed by a week in Europe I'm kind of glad that's the case. A Ratchet game seems like a good thing to play after Dark Souls 3.

Man, Scholar of the First Sin is an ugly game.

I'm playing it on PC and I'm thinking the opposite, it looks terrific with some downsampling and 60 fps. Stuff like Majula and the Tower of Flame still look great by today's standards.

Maybe it's also because I played through Dark Souls 1 for the first time last year and remember how rough that game occasionally looks that DS2 looks better by comparison.

LiK

Man, Scholar of the First Sin is an ugly game.

"Ugly" is a bit much. They actually improved the graphics over vanilla version in spots. Too bad the lighting wasn't fixed for most areas to make it look as good as the original reveal. But there are some genuinely beautiful areas especially later in the game.

I did like in the DS3 QL when Brad said he wanted a nice remaster of DS1 and Jason said he could play the PC version

yeah, no

yeah no because the PC version exists and with DSFix is easily the best version of the game and runs great on everyone's toaster

or yeah no because you're one of those folks who wants a console remaster and the PC version isn't the answer?

because when Brad said that I had the same exact thought that Jason had.

I thought Scholar looked fine but something about it made it feel very sterile and empty to me. Though it might have been because I played it right after Bloodborne.

LiK

It's pretty funny that DS1 on PC still relies on DSFix to look any good. A proper remaster would be nice but FROM has moved on.

If DS3 is really the last souls they're making I'm really curious what they go on to next. It can't just be BB. We'll probably see BB sometime next year if they're sticking to this one a year schedule but what's coming in 2018?

It's pretty funny that DS1 on PC still relies on DSFix to look any good. A proper remaster would be nice but FROM has moved on.

It sucks that it is reliant on it, absolutely. But even if you decide to go full-on casual and not bother with DSFix (which is crazy because DSfix is really REALLY simple and pretty much idiot proof) it's still the best version of the game given that it doesn't shit itself in blighttown like the console versions do out of the box.

Tubobutts

I'm right at the beginning so I'm sure it gets better later, but plain is a good way to describe it. These stone hallways look like I textured them.

LiK

I'm right at the beginning so I'm sure it gets better later, but plain is a good way to describe it. These stone hallways look like I textured them.

Yea, the first couple of areas are pretty plain. It's much more varied and better looking later. The tutorial area was godawful. I remember seeing that for the first time and I was like "man, they put no effort into this area at all."

yeah no because the PC version exists and with DSFix is easily the best version of the game and runs great on everyone's toaster

or yeah no because you're one of those folks who wants a console remaster and the PC version isn't the answer?

because when Brad said that I had the same exact thought that Jason had.

I don't care about a console remaster. hacking in framerate and resolution fixes helps but it still looks like a 360 game with less aliasing. plus you get the occasional weird animation thing and texture weirdness. I would also like a remaster, with textures that match the increased resolutions, and better lighting tech.

Neh, I want new Armored Core or something weird from them. Now that they have more attention they should try some weirder shit.

Yeah, the Souls formula feels a little retread at this point especially with games like Salt & Sanctuary getting in on the genre. Time for something weird and off the wall.

I don't care about a console remaster. hacking in framerate and resolution fixes helps but it still looks like a 360 game with less aliasing. plus you get the occasional weird animation thing and texture weirdness. I would also like a remaster, with textures that match the increased resolutions, and better lighting tech.

That's less of a remaster and more of a remake but i hear ya.

But if any souls game is in dire need of a real remaster or remake is Demon's Souls. At least all the other souls games are either up to modern standards (BB) or you can play them with modern settings on a platform (the Dark Souls games)

that the OG souls game has been left in the PS3 ghetto is a damn shame given that even crap like Heavy Rain has been shown some remastered love

I feel like they have such a following at this point that a lot of fans would accept anything from them. Sure there will be the outcry that it's not just another souls game or it doesn't feel like souls, but at least after a lot of success they will have people take whatever weird shit they make and not just dismiss it as soon as they see it.

LiK

DS3 is probably the last Souls game for a while after all the DLC is done. Miyazaki said he wants to do something else. I think he's burnt out by it. I'm hoping they try some other games out or maybe revisit their old IPs.

Actually all the names I just wrote feels like they should have been taken by some mid-90s FPS already.

the 3DO had kind of an amazing lineup of games with amazing mid-90s titles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer_games

I own this piece of garbage, but it's hilarious

3DO-Immercenary.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom