• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I'm glad MGScanlon is done. It was fun while it lasted and the final live stream was great, but MGSV broke me. Time to move onto a new feature, but I'm certainly happy they completed the saga.

yami4ct

Let the series go out in the proper way, with the final real canonical game. It would be a shame to go out on a fun, but silly even by MGS standards, side game. Ending the series with the main series is the right way to go.

Also, I just am done with hearing about MGS. I love the series, but it's done and it's time for all parties involved (GB on the feature side and Kojima for games) to make something new.

MGScanlon isn't over until they play MGR.
Let it go.
lastcrusade.jpg

Goddamn that Division thread is a blood bath. It's like a bug zapper. So many posters irresistible drawn to its light to basically say "it's just a video game, stop thinking about stuff."

Then at least just watch a summary, like what they did for that one game in the series that I actually can't remember the name of.

MGR is one of the best Metal Gear games.

yami4ct

Goddamn that Division thread is a blood bath. It's like a bug zapper. So many posters irresistible drawn to its light to basically say "it's just a video game, stop thinking about stuff."

It's my favorite kind of dumb thread. I go in there and get to laugh and some of the silliness going on instead of feeling soul crushing sadness dumb threads have been making me feel recently.

Then just watch a summary, like what they did for that one game in the series that I actually can't remember the name of.

You don't need to, though. MGR is fun, but it's non-canonical. If you're going out of your way for non-canon stuff, at that point you'd have to look up shit for Ac!d and Portable Ops as well. The series was always intended to be the numbered MGS games and that's what we got.

The internet is eternally doomed to not understand that things can have political implications regardless of whether or not they were intentional.

yami4ct

dude what a graveyard

the eternal war between "GAMES ARE ART" and "LOL VIDYA" rages on

I think the problem with these posts is less 'games aren't art and can't be criticized' and more the idea that the only thing that one can take a critical eye to are those things that are created to be looked at critically.

You can look at non-artistic things with a critical aspect as well. To bring up a couple (quick and bad) examples:

We tend to structure our teams for team based sports in a very military style fashion. What does this say about what our cultures value in regards to teamwork? or maybe

Boxing, UFC and other one on one fighting sports enjoy constant popularity. Does that reflect on our cultural values on violence? Did the shift in popularity in boxing to UFC reflect a cultural shift as well?

Even if The Division was created by people with no political valuation involved (a kind of crazy assertion, but for this point I'll grant it), we can still talk about how the things that game does reflect on the culture of game makers creating it.

I think the problem with these posts is less 'games aren't art and can't be criticized' and more the idea that the only thing that one can take a critical eye to are those things that are created to be looked at critically.

there's a strangely anti-academic leaning on this board and gaming community as a whole, it's a real bummer.

did anybody else have like 50 games in their steam library decide to all get updated today for some reason? I've never seen so many updates at one time.

yami4ct

there's a strangely anti-academic leaning on this board and gaming community as a whole, it's a really bummer.

did anybody else have like 50 games in their steam library decide to all get updated today for some reason? I've never seen so many updates at one time.

There's always been an aspect to the gaming community that doesn't want their shit to be criticized. I have a feeling that part of that is they don't want to deal with some of the uncomfortable ramifications that come from that. There's also an inherent confusion with the idea of 'I have criticism' and instead some equate that with 'this thing is bad'. Such ideas are reflected in the extreme in awful movements like GamerGate.

As for the Steam thing, there's a thread about it here. Apparently steam is updating a bunch of old DirectX redistributables across the board. It's weird.

daydream

Banned
there's a strangely anti-academic leaning on this board and gaming community as a whole, it's a real bummer.

lack of proper education among reviewers and consumers will do that to people

the people writing about games are largely dilettants so that's what people are used to (while actual game studies writings don't acknowledged beyond peers obv)

crab pot syndrome? or just anti 'putting on airs' or something

hm or just a further explanation as to why nuance and innuendo blow right past so many people. there's an unusually high percentage of people that can't deal with complex reactions or grey areas in this demographic.

in a way it's kind of an interesting analogue to music fans that can't cope with recordings that aren't super polished, when I usually find the most interesting stuff is riddled with "flaws," like sloppy playing or lo-fi recording. all the best things are flawed. perfection is boring.

found that steam thread. what an odd thing.

how did uh

question on the giant bomb ds3 QL

how did brad get down to the cleric ring? The path next to the knight sitting next to the alcove is instant death,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom