• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

So, Ive been watching Dannys Naked and Gunless run recently, and it really irks me that he seems to have never come across the name "Cait" before. I feel like that name was common back in ma skool dayz. Im sure im not the only Irish person watching who was thinking this.

Its pronounced "Cawch" btw

Yup, definately an Irish name.

Never heard of it either.

PowerTaxi

Banned
So, Ive been watching Dannys Naked and Gunless run recently, and it really irks me that he seems to have never come across the name "Cait" before. I feel like that name was common back in ma skool dayz. Im sure im not the only Irish person watching who was thinking this.

Its pronounced "Cawch" btw

Never knew anyone called that growing up in Dublin.

Lethal

Neo Member
Never knew anyone called that growing up in Dublin.

I dont mean that. I grew up in Dublin too, but in Irish class over the years, there were tons of names in textbooks or sample papers or whatever that I had never heard used as actual names. I just know the name Cait cos of school. I never heard of a person called Cait before though.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I dont mean that. I grew up in Dublin too, but in Irish class over the years, there were tons of names in textbooks or sample papers or whatever that I had never heard used as actual names. I just know the name Cait cos of school. I never heard of a person called Cait before though.

Ah ok. Sorry :p

Curufinwe

I generally like Jeff's more cynical side even if I disagree with a lot of his tastes. It makes the things he loves a lot more striking.

My favorite negative-Jeff moment was when he talked about seeing bits of Game of Thrones cause his lady was watching it and finding it completely uninteresting.

Most surprising positive-Jeff moment was when he said he really liked Inception.

What was Drew's reaction to the ending, I had to bail at the end of the last mission.

He thought it was cool and fine, like he had no problem with it.
He kind of rolled his eyes with Ocelot doing hypnotherapy or whatever lol.
The best thing about it though is that they both went indepth about the MGScanlon series and what was Drew's favorite MGS game. In terms of which one he enjoyed playing the most, it's
His favorite though is
Man, it was bittersweet. Still kind of sad it ended. Also this.

q0LSRr5.png

Good thing I managed to catch the ending but I have to watch the rest when it gets archived because I had shit to do yesterday but was surprised that it was still going on when I came back, it became in total a 6 hour stream.

daydream

Banned
Lol Caoimhe is so easy to pronounce. The spelling looks daunting to those who arent familiar

is the first syllable in Caoimhe a [kvɪ] or [kɪ], i'm getting conflicting reports from the internet

because [kɪ] would make sense and [kvɪ] wouldn't if 'saoi' = [sɪ]

edit: listening to it again, it's probably closer to an [ɪ] than an . fixed.

Lethal

Neo Member
Caoimhe sounds like qwee vuh

Also, the rules of irish are so complex, i dont even know them. I mean...its natural when i read it or speak it, but i dont know why im saying things the way im saying them. It sounds stupid lol

Oh my god I just watched the Quantum Break quick look.

That TV stuff is T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E.

How are people praising that? Do they just watch re-runs of the Timecop TV show?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly though, irregardless of the quality, the quickest way you can make me disinterested in something is to say that you're making it like a TV show.

Which is more on me really, I get irrationally, aggressively disinterested at the entire TV medium.

Honestly though, irregardless of the quality, the quickest way you can make me disinterested in something is to say that you're making it like a TV show.

Which is more on me really, I get irrationally, aggressively disinterested at the entire TV medium.

Fair enough but there's some good ass TV out there, The Wire and The Sopranos to name a few. Incredible writing and execution across the board. However, I do see where you're coming from(especially when you want to shove it into video games)

derFeef

Fargo?
If anything I hate every superhero show, alongside with superhero movies. It's the worst.

daydream

Banned
Caoimhe sounds like qwee vuh

Also, the rules of irish are so complex, i dont even know them. I mean...its natural when i read it or speak it, but i dont know why im saying things the way im saying them. It sounds stupid lol

yeah, i've been looking more into the name and there's some regional variants of the pronounciation, apparently

between [kvɪ], [kviː], [kwɪ], [kwiː] and [kiː], i wouldn't wanna be the one to have to argue for one transcription over another

but yeah, there seems to be no logical reason for the labialisation if you compare it to Saoirse (unless there's a regional variant that pronounces it [svɪ]/[swɪ])

Fair enough but there's some good ass TV out there, The Wire and The Sopranos to name a few. Incredible writing and execution across the board. However, I do see where you're coming from(especially when you want to shove it into video games)

I agree with this.

If you're putting TV in your video games and not aiming at a high bar, it makes your whole product look shit.

I love TV but there's nothing worse than bad TV.

I agree with this.

If you're putting TV in your video games and not aiming at a high bar, it makes your whole product look shit.

I love TV but there's nothing worse than bad TV.

Night Springs from Alan Wake was the exact right way to integrate a TV show into a game, which is to say it's tongue-in-cheek and extremely peripheral.

I try not to be a TV snob but the one that really leaves me baffled is American Horror Story. Seemingly 90% of my friends and relatives are in love with it and it's just a flaming fucking trash fire of a show.

Antiwhippy

That's the thing, I don't doubt that those 2 shows are good, but they're kinda emblemetic of why I've become disinterested in American TV. I feel like every goddamn show is trying to be all "gritty, dark, violent", which also shows in the popularity of game of thrones and breaking bad. Not that I don't like a gritty, dark violent narrative, but in a sea full of it, it just becomes white noise to me. Kinda why I tune out of so many shooters for awhile now. Just not interested.

Like, my favorite stories are mostly slice of life, but I find it hard to find any slice of life TV show that isn't primarily a comedy. Like maybe they are there, but for me it got lost in this trend of gritty, dark and violent shows that just leaves me feeling cold.

Jintor

wait does live action tv even really do slice of life that isn't comedy?

i mean even anime leans pretty heavily on it, though it doesn't usually go full sitcom

Zaph

I try not to be a TV snob but the one that really leaves me baffled is American Horror Story. Seemingly 90% of my friends and relatives are in love with it and it's just a flaming fucking trash fire of a show.

It's the same reason True Blood lasted so long - trashy and silly, but punctuated with 'shock' moments that get people talking. Kinda like video games.

Season 2 was pretty damn good though.

That's the thing, I don't doubt that those 2 shows are good, but they're kinda emblemetic of why I've become disinterested in American TV. I feel like every goddamn show is trying to be all "gritty, dark, violent", which also shows in the popularity of game of thrones and breaking bad. Not that I don't like a gritty, dark violent narrative, but in a sea full of it, it just becomes white noise to me. Kinda why I tne out of so many shooters for awhile now. Just not interested.

Like, my favorite stories are mostly slice of life, but I find it hard to find any slice of life TV show that isn't primarily a comedy. Like maybe they are there, but for me it got lost in this trend of gritty, dark and violent shows that just leaves me feeling cold.

Honestly, the last 10 years or so of TV has never been better. Yes, there are a ton of shows trying to be gritty and dark without much substance, but then you have absolute masterpieces like Fargo or The Americans.

Antiwhippy

wait does live action tv even really do slice of life that isn't comedy?

i mean even anime leans pretty heavily on it, though it doesn't usually go full sitcom

Like some comedy is welcomed, but yeah, not full sitcom.

Honestly, the last 10 years or so of TV has never been better. Yes, there are a ton of shows trying to be gritty and dark without much substance, but then you have absolute masterpieces like Fargo or The Americans.

It's not a substance issue. I just don't like the flavor.

That's the thing, I don't doubt that those 2 shows are good, but they're kinda emblemetic of why I've become disinterested in American TV. I feel like every goddamn show is trying to be all "gritty, dark, violent", which also shows in the popularity of game of thrones and breaking bad. Not that I don't like a gritty, dark violent narrative, but in a sea full of it, it just becomes white noise to me. Kinda why I tne out if so many shooters for awhile now.

You're right, I do notice it's only in comedy you get things like that such as Seinfeld/Frasier/Curb Your Enthusiasm/Louie.etc Most TV shows are a commitment overall because they have to have a hook for the audience to keep reeling them in. To get the payoff, you have to watch it till the end whether you like it or not and that's alot of fucking time.

e: I'm really digging the new format they're doing with 10 episode/1 season a story(Fargo, True Detective). So, each season is an entirely new story/characters, this way you don't feel like you spent so much time(even though 10 hours is still alot overall). Of course you also have the miniseries stuff like Lonesome Dove(6 or so hours in total) which is incredible.

You're right, I do notice it's only in comedy you get things like that such as Seinfeld/Frasier/Curb Your Enthusiasm/Louie.etc Most TV shows are a commitment overall because they have to have a hook for the audience to keep reeling them in. To get the payoff, you have to watch it till the end whether you like it or not and that's alot of fucking time.
Man, I really like Frasier.

e: I'm really digging the new format they're doing with 10 episode/1 season a story(Fargo, True Detective). So, each season is an entirely new story/characters, this way you don't feel like you spent so much time(even though 10 hours is still alot overall). Of course you also have the miniseries stuff like Lonesome Dove(6 or so hours in total) which is incredible.

Yeah, the anthology format is great and makes recommending good TV way easier since it doesn't require the "well, you have five seasons to catch up on..." hook. Fargo had some call-forwards to the first season but you could have easily jumped in without catching up. True Detective even more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom