• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Yeah, the anthology format is great and makes recommending good TV way easier since it doesn't require the "well, you have five seasons to catch up on..." hook. Fargo had some call-forwards to the first season but you could have easily jumped in without catching up. True Detective even more so.

But True Detective only has one season?

It's not a substance issue. I just don't like the flavor.
Then honestly, count yourself lucky, there are too many ways to waste your time as it is.

But True Detective only has one season?

TDBar640.jpg

It had a season 2 which is also way inferior when compared with the first one but whatever, at least it's a different story/characters.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You're The Worst.

That does look pretty interesting.

For my taste though, my balance of the content I want to consume would be like mostly slice of life/drama with varying degrees of comedy and subject matter, and then 1 or 2 dark gritty stories. American TV to me feels like it's skewed to the exact opposite.

For my taste though, my balance of the content I want to consume would be like mostly slice of life/drama with varying degrees of comedy and subject matter, and then 1 or 2 dark gritty stories. American TV to me feels like it's skewed to the exact opposite.
So nothing specific then?

keep in mind these are the same people that think Agents of Shield and The Flash are great shows

Hey, don't lump The Flash in with Shield.

That does look pretty interesting.

That's basically You're the Worst. First season is mostly normal every day stuff but lived out by completely horrible people with a lot of comedy, then the second season gets a little dark but in a completely normal every day kind of way. At least it deals with something anyone can deal with.

TraBuch

Banned
Speaking of The West Wing, you know what was a huge disappointment? Studio 60 on the Sunset Trip. The first few episodes and the last few were great, but that middle part was just one long slog.

Zekes!

LTTP but putting together a list of 5 games to introduce someone to Nintendo is hard. I think I would need to know what their experience playing games in general is 'cause that would impact some major choices

My secret embarrassment is that I watch WeTV constantly because they always run Law and Order marathons during the day. Actually they just started airing episodes that were made before I was born, which is really interesting because the primary topics of the day, the camera work, characters, and the pacing are all completely different.

LTTP but putting together a list of 5 games to introduce someone to Nintendo is hard. I think I would need to know what their experience playing games in general is 'cause that would impact some major choices

Are you limited to a console? The nice thing about Nintendo is that their main franchises are diverse genres, but they'll play solid 90% of the time and are generally quite approachable.

Zekes!

My secret embarrassment is that I watch WeTV constantly because they always run Law and Order marathons during the day. Actually they just started airing episodes that were made before I was born, which is really interesting because the primary topics of the day, the camera work, characters, and the pacing are all completely different.

Are you limited to a console? The nice thing about Nintendo is that their main franchises are diverse genres, but they'll play solid 90% of the time and are generally quite approachable.

Nah I was thinking about that one email from the Bombcast this week asking for some suggestions and I was trying to see if I could come up with my own list

That was a cool discussion and a incredibly difficult list to narrow down depending on how you prioritize quality, genre/console breadth, and/or historical importance.

(Also, I loved how they immediately reverted to GOTY parlance: "Okay, these two are locked in!")

Nah I was thinking about that one email from the Bombcast this week asking for some suggestions and I was trying to see if I could come up with my own list

Haven't listened, I've kinda slacked in keeping up with content lately. But if you're not limited to console: Metroid Zero Mission, Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, Star Fox 3DS, Pokemon ORAS (any of them will do, really, but the later ones are more approachable), Zelda Wind Waker.

I'd sub in Wii Sports somewhere, maybe Bayo/W101 and Punch Out, but I think those games give a nice diversity. I think if you're really showing someone Nintendo for the first time, historical importance isn't, well, important. You want them to get in on Nintendo before introducing potentially more difficult games (because of the era they were designed in) to them.

Actually what's more interesting to me now that I think about it is how easy it was for me to think of games that feel "Nintendo" but I'm having difficulty doing the same for Sony or Microsoft.

Megasoum

Banned
Speaking of The West Wing, you know what was a huge disappointment? Studio 60 on the Sunset Trip. The first few episodes and the last few were great, but that middle part was just one long slog.

Yeah... I kinda enjoyed it, mostly because I love Bradley Whitford and I had a bit of a crush on Amanda Peet but yeah... Wasn't good.

Gestahl

I honestly think the most scared I've ever been in a Dark Souls game is in DS3 now, seeing one of those fucking
GIANT ENEMY CRABS
charge at me suddenly on a dime made me lose my shit so hard

With Breaking Bad, Justified, and Mad Men all finished, and Game of Thrones surpassing the books, I have found very few reasons to tune in to TV nowadays.

With Breaking Bad, Justified, and Mad Men all finished, and Game of Thrones surpassing the books, I have found very few reasons to tune in to TV nowadays.

Kind of the same right now. I watch a few shows that I enjoy but don't think are great, but mostly just catch up on shows from time to time. I used to be obsessed with tv.

Only thing I'm missing out on is Better Call Saul and it's hurting...

Kind of the same right now. I watch a few shows that I enjoy but don't think are great, but mostly just catch up on shows from time to time. I used to be obsessed with tv.

Only thing I'm missing out on is Better Call Saul and it's hurting...

I like Better Call Saul quite a bit but I also haven't seen the past three episodes and don't really feel an itch to catch up. That and Mr. Robot are both shows I'll watch casually but neither are "can't miss" television for me. Don't really like Fargo or The Americans either.

Oh, I forgot to mention Hannibal on the list of beloved shows that are gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom