• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I find DS3 less stressful than Bloodborne. Bloodborne it felt like there was doom around every corner. DS3 is more...I dunno, less harsher?

BB's push to make the player more aggressive really goes against my shield and sword style in the souls game of just having enough stamina, poise, and an 100% physical shield so I can just sit back and let the enemy make mistakes.

I basically turtle these games, like i do in fighting games.

So BB pushing the player to keep up the pace and removing a lot of the defensive safety nets the souls games have in favor of dodging and parrying makes the whole thing riskier in my eyes.

KingKong

BB's push to make the player more aggressive really goes against my shield and sword style in the souls game of just having enough stamina, poise, and an 100% physical shield so I can just sit back and let the enemy make mistakes.

I basically turtle these games, like i do in fighting games.

So BB pushing the player to keep up the pace and removing a lot of the defensive safety nets the souls games have in favor of dodging and parrying makes the whole thing riskier in my eyes.

I find that DS3 is pretty tough on turtling too, a lot of enemies will just break your guard or stagger you if you try to block their attacks and the stamina/roll is really tough on wearing heavy armor unless you really put a lot of points in vitality, and even then it's not that useful.

Even just blocking attacks is not nearly as good as dodging

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly I find DS3 less stressful than Bloodborne. Bloodborne it felt like there was doom around every corner. DS3 is more...I dunno, less harsher?

I don't necessarily find it harsh or all that hard really. There's still a tension there though that I find hard to maintain for long sessions.

hamchan

Souls is much less harsh than Bloodborne for sure. It doesn't help that the parry system in BB always seemed real funky and hard to get the timing of.

God damn it. I should have played Hearts of Stone without doing new game +, I've still been working through my second playthrough slowly and haven't reached the level to do that yet.

I find that DS3 is pretty tough on turtling too, a lot of enemies will just break your guard or stagger you if you try to block their attacks and the stamina/roll is really tough on wearing heavy armor unless you really put a lot of points in vitality, and even then it's not that useful.

Even just blocking attacks is not nearly as good as dodging

haven't played DS3 yet and now im in no rush to do so hah

Witcher DLC and Factorio I guess?

Witcher 3 is getting the old game of the year for 2016.

Curufinwe

Souls is much less harsh than Bloodborne for sure. It doesn't help that the parry system in BB always seemed real funky and hard to get the timing of.

Demon's Souls was a lot harsher because the bosses were often miles away from where you started a level when you died.

pizzacat

Banned
I advise anyone to get into one piece musou and then get into one piece for superior 👌🏻

Witcher 3 is getting the old game of the year for 2016.
Is it because no one actually played it in 2015 while actual video games were being played

Teddified

I'm excited to hear Vinny talk about some Witcher, he hasn't really talked about it much on the beastcast other then saying he was still playing it.

KingKong

Its definitely not Bloodborne, but its somewhere in the middle between that and DS1/2 mechanics. I'm not sure how good the Vinny style of play would work, theres some wonky things with armor values where above medium just doesnt seem worth it at all

justjim89

Sweet, more GB coverage of the best game of 2015. Also, the Beastcast was real good this week. Bad England accents and food talk will do the trick every time.

Is it because no one actually played it in 2015 while actual video games were being played

the game of the year is a game about making games and the runner up was an early access game that will never be finished so it is a shame that something that is both an actual game and also a complete game got ignored by many.

to each their own but I came late to TW3 last year and i wish i hadnt so i couldve yell at people more about how great it was.

stop being silly, cat made of pizza

I wonder how many people at The Coalition were dissapointed that they got taken off creating their new IP to make more Gears of War games and forever becoming the dedicated GoW studio.

i dunno, they're probably looking at Lionhead and the chances they took at the end and are happy to be employed making something that looks to be a safe bet

I'm excited to hear Vinny talk about some Witcher, he hasn't really talked about it much on the beastcast other then saying he was still playing it.

He must be enjoying it if he's into the expansion.

It takes a special kind of game for someone to put 100+ hours into and go "I want more".

Oh man I just remembered that drunk segment at the end of The Witcher 3.

I need to play that game again, I don't know if I can hold out until the new expansion.

KorrZ

Can't wait to see Vinny play some TW3. Definitely could use some more Witcher love on the site, and Vinny is totally the guy for that.

2amT8KP.png

Can't wait to see Vinny play some TW3. Definitely could use some more Witcher love on the site, and Vinny is totally the guy for that.

it drove me nuts that everyone basically stopped at the bloody baron questline in TW3 because that's like saying you stopped playing Dark Souls when you got to Blighttown. there's so much more left of the game and a good deal of it is fantastic! If only they cut the dandelion stuff in half, dammit, because that shit went on for far too long

as for the gotys: It almost felt like they were giving TW3 awards out of consideration for what it was more than because anyone on the staff really felt strongly about it. The feeling i got from that whole thing was that they felt an obligation to TW3 or something.

It was a shame, really. I never was one of those people who was shouting that they should play TW3 before GOTYs, they can play whatever they like, but the feelings i had for the wins that the game got mustve been how Xrd fans felt when their game got the best looks award without having anyone really give enough of a shit for it.

Meh. at least vinny is digging it, it was a bummer to know that he hadn't spent much time with it before as his becoming interested in these games is what pushed me to get into the series in the first place

it drove me nuts that everyone basically stopped at the bloody baron questline in TW3 because that's like saying you stopped playing Dark Souls when you got to Blighttown. there's so much more left of the game and a good deal of it is fantastic! If only they cut the dandelion stuff in half, dammit, because that shit went on for far too long

The bloody baron quest was the worst part of the game and ran at 10 FPS? :V

Strax

Shangheist was only a trailer and given the track record of ms and devs that make new ips, I'd take that Gears job anyday

Making the 5th game in series thats slowly dying vs. a new IP, which people have been craving for, with MS backrolling the marketing

I'll take the new IP anyday.

The insistence that the bloody baron quest was the best thing in the game because that's what all the media outlets wrote about in release week was kinda annoying.

I got much more out of other quests and moments in the game.

Apart from that it wasn't really the kind of game Giant Bomb are into apart from Vinny so it didn't phase me too much.

SomberOwl

Shangheist was only a trailer and given the track record of ms and devs that make new ips, I'd take that Gears job anyday

True MS doesn't have the best track record. But it still must have been somewhat exciting to have MS come to you and say that they want you to make an all new IP to rival the Halo franchise.

Strax

The Witcher 3 fell into one of the worst trappings of video games imo. The moving target. Playing as Ciri felt like they wanted a longer game and those parts were really weak. Dandelion questline was awful.

I honestly don't think the Dandelion thing was as long as people made out. Isn't it only 6 quests or so?

Prob the weakest thing in the game but Novigrad was pretty cool.

I honestly don't think the Dandelion thing was as long as people made out. Isn't it only 6 quests or so?

Prob the weakest thing in the game but Novigrad was pretty cool.

It's more that the quests within the questline itself weren't that particularly good, either.

Having to find the folks he was screwing around with was a lowlight for that game.

KorrZ

Bloody Baron was good, but Hearts of Stone is better than anything in the base game (and I say that as someone who loved TW3).

There are some very, very strong quest lines in the base game but as a whole yeah, Hearts of Stone was just so consistently excellent it's hard to beat.

Wedding is still the best thing in the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom