• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiorum

Ehhh.

If you are already meeting the level requirements then do it but otherwise I would finish the main game to get the extra levels and gear and stuff.

HoS has a few lines that give a few nods to the main quest if played before you hit a big turning point but its literally just 3 or 4 conversation options.

Also as part of the DLC you get a brand on your face (not spoilers because its on the main promo art) and if you go to main characters in the main game they will make comments about it.

Huh, alright. Are the main characters available to converse with after finishing the game? Spoiler tag just in case. I suppose it depends on your choices?

justjim89

Vinny with that Ursine set. So good, Although I stuck with the Wolf set. Both are great.

I agree that the leveling system is weird, though. I have like four points I have no need to use.

TraBuch

Banned
gwent i can understand though i enjoyed my brief flirtation with it.

i dont judge who your witcher waifu is because i don't care who you digitally decide to settle down with.

though i did think that they did a good job giving you at least one quest with each lady so regardless of how you roll you got some closure
Didn't they have to go back and give Triss more dialogue because of a lack of closure?

tuxfool

Banned
Why is Vinny still farming Beehives? Late game, he should have money coming out of his ears.

e: ah it is an exploit. Still my point stands.

What's crazy about Vinny hoarding in this game is that the itemization in Witcher 3 is so bad that there's no reason to save anything but the best pieces you're wearing. Literally nothing is better than the upgraded set pieces because it's just all stats.

The game really needed set bonuses or unique skills on items ala Diablo 3 to make non-set items stand out.

Brashnir

I wish there was some kind of card game that subverted the entire making a deck aspect of them. As soon as it starts getting complicated and I have to put a deck together I fall asleep.

Have you ever played any card-drafting games like Dominion or Ascension? In those games, all players build their decks on-the-fly from a shared pool of available cards.

They're far better games than anything in the CCG realm.

Have you ever played any card-drafting games like Dominion or Ascension? In those games, all players build their decks on-the-fly from a shared pool of available cards.

They're far better games than anything in the CCG realm.

I've tried a couple, my issue more comes from wanting Chess:The card game if that makes sense? I want the cards and the set up to always be the same but there to be such a wide variety in ways to play that strategy can evolve in the game itself and not so much the cards or set up changing each time. It's probably a hard ask.

I wish there was some kind of card game that subverted the entire making a deck aspect of them. As soon as it starts getting complicated and I have to put a deck together I fall asleep.

That's hard to do because CCGs are like basketball, some decks match up better against other decks. So if I just hand you a premade deck and ask you to play another deck, you're going to get frustrated when you lose because the whole point is to edit your deck with alternative cards to better matchup against the deck you lost against.

Brashnir

I've tried a couple, my issue more comes from wanting Chess:The card game if that makes sense? I want the cards and the set up to always be the same but there to be such a wide variety in ways to play that strategy can evolve in the game itself and not so much the cards or set up changing each time. It's probably a hard ask.

I see where you're coming from. So many games nowadays are designed around selling you more stuff in the way of expansions (which in most cases make the core game worse, but that's another discussion), so it's a bit tricky from a business standpoint.

There's a real fine line in game design between depth and complexity, where too many designers and players alike conflate one with the other. It's really hard to make a game as simple and deep as chess, which is probably why it took a few hundred years across multiple continents to become codified in its current form.

The only card games that come close to the chess model in that regard are also similar classics such as Pinochle and Bridge.

KingKong

iirc the quest chain Vinny's going to start is like 3 hours long and you dont really want to quit it half way through. the wedding is so good!

jaina

iirc the quest chain Vinny's going to start is like 3 hours long and you dont really want to quit it half way through. the wedding is so good!
I thought all AAA games nowadays are divided into obvious 30-45 minute chunks, for 30-120 minute evening play sessions?
How dare they concocting a 3 hour gripping quest chain?

justjim89

I thought all AAA games nowadays are divided into obvious 30-45 minute chunks, for 30-120 minute evening play sessions?
How dare they concocting a 3 hour gripping quest chain?

That's what's great about Witcher 3. It's a AAA game in scope with the sensibilities of an indie game.

I see where you're coming from. So many games nowadays are designed around selling you more stuff in the way of expansions (which in most cases make the core game worse, but that's another discussion), so it's a bit tricky from a business standpoint.

There's a real fine line in game design between depth and complexity, where too many designers and players alike conflate one with the other. It's really hard to make a game as simple and deep as chess, which is probably why it took a few hundred years across multiple continents to become codified in its current form.

The only card games that come close to the chess model in that regard are also similar classics such as Pinochle and Bridge.

The weird thing is I think there are games that are almost close to that type of balance but then other things come into play. Something like competitive Starcraft feels like it should be almost at that level, but stuff like APM and multitasking come into play. Stuff like DOTA feels like it could be close, but variance and skill(skill in completing an action, not so much in learning) come into play to a certain degree. Something like a CCG seems like that should be possible but monetization is just something that becomes required and it kind of falls apart.

Something like Bridge/Hearts/Spades are actually things that came to mind, but I think in this day and age you should be able to go further than those with more mechanics and expansion to take advantage of being a video game.

Huh, alright. Are the main characters available to converse with after finishing the game? Spoiler tag just in case. I suppose it depends on your choices?

No matter the ending I think they remove a lot of the big players from the world. Basically anyone who isnt around to chat to during your normal travels wont be there.
I wish Geralt's beard on console looked as good as the PC beard.

The touch of grey on PC looks so good.

Brashnir

The weird thing is I think there are games that are almost close to that type of balance but then other things come into play. Something like competitive Starcraft feels like it should be almost at that level, but stuff like APM and multitasking come into play. Stuff like DOTA feels like it could be close, but variance and skill(skill in completing an action, not so much in learning) come into play to a certain degree. Something like a CCG seems like that should be possible but monetization is just something that becomes required and it kind of falls apart.

Something like Bridge/Hearts/Spades are actually things that came to mind, but I think in this day and age you should be able to go further than those with more mechanics and expansion to take advantage of being a video game.

I was specifically thinking of card games, and not so much video games, but something like Street Fighter also comes close in a lot of respects.

I'd also say Rocket League comes closer to replicating the process of learning and playing a real sport more closely than any of the alleged sports simulations out there.

You can
tell him he can't have Olgierd. You then have to beat O'Dimm in his own game.

Oh, I was talking about this specific quest with the brother's ghost, not the general DLC questline. I definitely told
O'Dimm to fuck off at the end and managed to rescue Olgierd from the pact

Hog Pen Match time.

KingKong

Oh, I was talking about this specific quest with the brother's ghost, not the general DLC questline. I definitely told
O'Dimm to fuck off at the end and managed to rescue Olgierd from the pact

did you find out what happened with him and his brother? fuck Olgierd, he deserved the punishment

did you find out what happened with him and his brother? fuck Olgierd, he deserved the punishment

Yeah, Olgierd was
an asshole even before his heart turned to "stone" but I just couldn't bear to let that smug fucker O'Dimm win. I went with the lesser of two evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom