• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjin M

Watching the Gran Turismo segment with that Alex St John article in the back of my mind. I know they want it to look like "Look at how much they care about the game!" But the whole practice is gross.

Idk, all the negativity in this thread lately has me not knowing what to think.

It's good. Don't let the haters get to you.

jaina

Good Morning!
tumblr_o2z34gbmfE1u5eu8ao1_500.gif
That ONE intro.

yami4ct

'How many of these games have horrible communities?'

Ouch Drew. The best jokes sting a little.

Most of those dickheads aren't really fans of Xenoblade/Fire Emblem fans. They're just freelance assholes who want to be assholes. I promise.

'How many of these games have horrible communities?'

Ouch Drew. The best jokes sting a little.

Most of those dickheads aren't really fans of Xenoblade/Fire Emblem fans. They're just freelance assholes who want to be assholes. I promise.

I wonder if there's a specific incident he's referring to

Given the joke was made during the localization segment, I have to assume he's talking about all the garbage going around Nintendo's stuff.

Maybe that's just me having a bit of a persecution complex.

Oh yeah, this was recorded earlier last week, so it was probably fresh on their minds.

that is one way to generalise legitimate criticism, i guess

Are you saying that pointing out the recent negativity in this thread removes or undermines its "legitimacy?" Because both can co-exist where a lot of legitimate complaints still creates a vibe of negativity. Honestly, when a lot of people are being vocal with complaints in a concentrated time frame, it can get confusing to then try to gauge what people are actually enjoying overall. I think Lunar has a fairly valid standpoint.

daydream

Banned
Are you saying that pointing out the recent negativity in this thread removes or undermines its "legitimacy?" Because both can co-exist where a lot of legitimate complaints still creates a vibe of negativity. Honestly, when a lot of people are being vocal with complaints in a concentrated time frame, it can get confusing to then try to gauge what people are actually enjoying overall. I think Lunar has a fairly valid standpoint.

if that entails thinking a demo derby will be welcomed with anything other than open arms, then that's a serious misreading and a frustrating dismissal of legitimate points

also, you would really have to be extra touchy and defensive to perceive a "vibe of negativity" in the thread. people are giving feedback. it's the people who recklessly dismiss it as 'hate' that are creating an unconstructive environment if anyone is

Anjin M

also, you would really have to be extra touchy and defensive to perceive a "vibe of negativity" in the thread. people are giving feedback. it's the people who recklessly dismiss it as 'hate' that are creating an unconstructive environment if anyone is
I don't know. This thread has been a bummer to read for a few days now. Especially with the recent spat of subscription cancelation threats.

What this thread needs is a little comic strip called Love Is. It's about two naked eight year olds who are married.

Oh, and the creator's sons totally made the Plutonia Experiment and most of the good levels in Half-Life 1 and 2.

I don't know. This thread has been a bummer to read for a few days now. Especially with the recent spat of subscription cancelation threats.

In my defense, it's not a cancellation if you're just letting it run out.

Jintor

man this demo derby really reaffirming that jeff has those comedy chops and that deep knowledge. i nearly injured myself laughing at something he said

derFeef

man this demo derby really reaffirming that jeff has those comedy chops and that deep knowledge. i nearly injured myself laughing at something he said

He really does. Jeff should just stay away from those AAA releases as he's not having any fun with them, and make his own Retro/Indie section for GB.

yami4ct

Maybe it's not that Jeff doesn't like AAA games, but that the recent crop of AAA games have been, frankly, quite disappointing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd say that he sounds more... realistic? About what that game is.

Also honestly the only AAA have I got into this year was... Dark souls 3? Great year for "smaller" games so far, but not for AAA stuff fore. Though I am getting overwatch too if that counts.

yami4ct

largely agreed, i think.

The promising group of next gen AAA franchisees have all sort of swung and missed. Watch_Dogs was bland as shit. Destiny and The Division aren't my cup of tea, Titanfall was too barebones, etc. Old franchises have mostly worn out their welcome too. I'm not interested in AC: Syndicate even though I know it's a very good one of those (the next one does sound enough to maybe get me back, however). I'm excited to play the new Uncharted, but I can't say it's the most interesting thing around.

That's not to say I'm unhappy with the state of games, though. There are more Single and Double A games coming from Japan now than there were since the PS2 era and those are very, very much my cup of tea and the indie scene always has interesting things to look at. I frankly have more games than I could ever play. I want to finish Dark Souls 3, Fire Emblem Fates Conquest and Revelation and Steins;Gate and I'd love to check out Ratchet and Clank, but some of that is sure to fall by the wayside. Just because the AAA scene doesn't hit for me like it did during the early 360 days doesn't mean there's a problem.

Wunder

The promising group of next gen AAA franchisees have all sort of swung and missed. Watch_Dogs was bland as shit. Destiny and The Division aren't my cup of tea, Titanfall was too barebones, etc. Old franchises have mostly worn out their welcome too. I'm not interested in AC: Syndicate even though I know it's a very good one of those (the next one does sound enough to maybe get me back, however). I'm excited to play the new Uncharted, but I can't say it's the most interesting thing around.

That's not to say I'm unhappy with the state of games, though. There are more Single and Double A games coming from Japan now than there were since the PS2 era and those are very, very much my cup of tea and the indie scene always has interesting things to look at. I frankly have more games than I could ever play. I want to finish Dark Souls 3, Fire Emblem Fates Conquest and Revelation and Steins;Gate and I'd love to check out Ratchet and Clank, but some of that is sure to fall by the wayside. Just because the AAA scene doesn't hit for me like it did during the early 360 days doesn't mean there's a problem.

the best time to play video games !!

yami4ct

the best time to play video games !!

It really is. Like, sure I could phrase 'too many games' as some sort of complaint, but then I'd feel like a damn idiot. Just because I don't have time right now to play Ratchet & Clank, Higurashi, or Root Double (when it hits), doesn't mean I don't want those games to exist. I'd much rather awesome shit arrive that I would enjoy, but don't have time for than not have that. At any point of time, I could pick up a new game in a completely different genre and probably find one I super enjoy, That's awesome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know what it says about me that the ska and pony duo spoke to me a lot more than new wave with Kurt Cobain wannabe.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Carmack probably looked at the game they were making and just went "lol no bye guys"
When he looked at it first, they scrapped the whole thing.

At one point, a source told me, the Doom 4 team had a big meeting in which company leaders talked about what Doom meant to them. John Carmack got up in front of everyone and said something like, "Doom means two things: demons and shotguns."

But this is pretty much the second take on it and definitely more Doom than whatever that other thing was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom