• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
i haven't watched any mst3k, how good/bad/crazy is this intro from a fan's perspective?

It kind of runs down the characters while telling you not to think too much about it. I never saw it as all that crazy, but I watched a lot of it so I'm not sure.

I think I missunderstood your question, I haven't watched DD yet, and was thinking you were asking about the MST3K intro.

justjim89

I've only seen one episode of MST3K, back in college. Something about dinosaurs invading modern society. The one line I remember was this husky fella hurrying down a hallway with a coffee mug and one of the guys said "Hang on, just gotta get some butter for my coffee." One of the hardest laughs I've ever had.

a lot of the episodes are caught in a publishing grey area where nobody owns the rights or whatever so they kind of live on youtube

http://mst3konline.blogspot.com/

but something pretty cool has happened over the last year or two and the official channel (run by Shout Factory) has uploaded a bunch of legit episodes, with annotations for references and whatnot. as we're now 20 years after a lot of those episodes airing, the pop culture references are... pretty obscure.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mst3kofficial/videos

if anybody wants my personal recommendations, as someone who has watched the entire run multiple times, I can type one up

a lot of the episodes are caught in a publishing grey area where nobody owns the rights or whatever so they kind of live on youtube

but something pretty cool has happened over the last year or two and the official channel (run by Shout Factory) has uploaded a bunch of legit episodes, with annotations for references and whatnot. as we're now 20 years after a lot of those episodes airing, the pop culture references are... pretty obscure.

if anybody wants my personal recommendations, as someone who has watched the entire run multiple times, I can type one up

Holy shit, thanks for this. I had no idea where to see any episodes after a bunch got taken of Netflix a while ago.

it's not only that many pop culture references are outdated, it's also that they love to reference local twin cities stuff all of the time so it can get a special breed of obscure at times.

which is why i love it really

daydream

Banned
this gran turismo behind-the-scenes stuff is pretty timely in light of that recent controversial article on work hours in game development

"compared to the others, i get to go home more often"

this gran turismo behind-the-scenes stuff is pretty timely in light of that recent controversial article on work hours in game development

"compared to the others, i get to go home more often"

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Exactly the fucked up mindset that dude was arguing for in the article.

it's not only that many pop culture references are outdated, it's also that they love to reference local twin cities stuff all of the time so it can get a special breed of obscure at times.

which is why i love it really

I've meant to watch The Paper Chase a bunch of times over the years because for some reason they loved talking about "The Paper Chase guy" but now I think it's almost funnier if I never understand the reference.

also since this thread loves nightmare food products, here's a thread for you http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208950

I've meant to watch The Paper Chase a bunch of times over the years because for some reason they loved talking about "The Paper Chase guy" but now I think it's almost funnier if I never understand the reference.

also since this thread loves nightmare food products, here's a thread for you http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208950

the paper chase is a legit good movie. I saw it in school of all places for a law class I took.

watch it, MCCLOUD

daydream

Banned
Eh, both have marathons around the holidays, both contain a lot of black and white and sci-fi/horror type stories...that's all I can think of.

They only premiered 30 years apart, certainly it's a common mistake.

actually, the reason i've conflated them is that a) i haven't watched either b) i know what twilight zone is while c) not knowing what mst3k is until today since i always assumed it was the same as twilight zone, for some reason (certainly didn't expect it to be 'riffing on bad scifi films'). so the mix-up was unilateral.

my brain also filed both under 'those things the internet likes that are probably not good' so there's that

actually, the reason i've conflated them is that a) i haven't watched either b) i know what twilight zone is while c) not knowing what mst3k is until today since i always assumed it was the same as twilight zone, for some reason (certainly didn't expect it to be 'riffing on bad scifi films'). so the mix-up was unilateral.

How dare you.

Strax

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is one of the few things in American Culture that was so popular I feel like it should've been shown/known here but wasn't/isn't so I can't really wrap my mind around it.

Same thing with Darkwing Duck and Spawn. Its the same wrestling, I was the only kid that I ever heard that had TNT growing up so nobody knew about wrestling.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is one of the few things in American Culture that was so popular I feel like it should've been shown/known here but wasn't/isn't so I can't really wrap my mind around it.

Same thing with Darkwing Duck and Spawn. Its the same wrestling, I was the only kid that I ever heard that had TNT growing up so nobody knew about wrestling.

For some reason I don't remember Darkwing Duck being that huge. I loved it, but thinking back it seemed like the unpopular show but everyone who watched it loved it.

my brain also filed both under 'those things the internet likes that are probably not good' so there's that

Twilight Zone is a classic for a reason.

like Myggen said, even during MST3K's peak there were plenty of sub-par episodes. frankly the number of them that are "laugh out loud funny" is pretty low. so if you come into the show expecting years of accreting hyperbole you're going to be left confused and maybe let down.

but the thing is that even at its worst, the show was totally charming. they might have accidentally led us by the hand into this nightmare future where everybody talks over everything all the time, but despite the fact that they were making fun of horrible movies, it was rarely cynical. you had some really likable, funny geeks who elevated the trash they riffed on instead of trying to tear it apart. and that's something that's in short supply in our "let's yell at our entertainment" reality.

That's understandable, but for me the classic Twilight Zone still absolutely holds up. Way ahead of its time both thematically and in its heavy use of sci-fi story elements, and the acting/effects have held up better than most of its similar contemporaries.

all these smaller projects that insomniac is piling up suggests the studio is moving away from larger AAA/retail productions to a more Double Fine like business model of selling publishers on smaller projects and doing a ton of those instead as they seem like safer bets to them now.

hopefully it turns out more like double fine and less like harmonix, which tried a somewhat similar approach and it turned out pretty bad for them. Though at least if things start falling apart with insomniac for whatever reason surely Sony would jump in to keep them afloat.

Hell yes, cartoon foods always look great.

200.gif

For anyone that is wondering from which short that bean cutting gif is, it's this one. Going through DD now. Can't wait for Alekhine's Gun QL because that one has alot of potential seeing as how that game is just a poor man's Hitman.

Daheza

My vive charge was declined, even though I told Chase ahead of time the charge was coming. Time to rewatch the vive stream to see what I am missing. :'(

My vive charge was declined, even though I told Chase ahead of time the charge was coming. Time to rewatch the vive stream to see what I am missing. :'(
The only time my card was declined by my bank was because I tried to buy a gift for a baby shower. I wasn't even mad because I don't want kids so it is pretty outside of my normal spending habits

Jintor

man not being able to click on any dark souls spoilers until i'm totally done is killing me. i wanna talk about stuff but i'm probably only like two thirds through crit path...

jesus, finally killed a boss i'd been banging my head against for at least two hours though. incredibly frustrating, not sure if in a good way.

Megasoum

Banned

Same here for MST3K... I had never even heard of them before GB guys talked about them on the podcast and streams. I'm still not 100% sure what it is.

On the other hand I do remember some of my friends in elementary school back in the early 90s loving Darkwing Duck. Never got into it myself tho.

Also I remember falling asleep while watching the 97 Spawn movie... This is the extent of my knowledge of Spawn lol.

If anybody has never seen MST3K and wants to check it out, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie is fantastic. It may set your production value expectations too high, though.

TraBuch

Banned
Werewolf
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Prince of Space
Invasion of the Neptune Men
Hobgoblins
Soultaker
Gamera
Pumaman