• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Souls 3 is kicking my ass. Trying to play while living with a sick baby in the middle of teething is spraying pepper spray in my face after my ass is already kicked.

I've made it like 2 bosses in after 6 hours. :lol

Strax

The new Demo Derby is so great. Might be top 3

TIL people take CinemaSins at face value

The thread in OT is fantastic.

So now the thread is 50/50 split

"I think its kinda funny even tho they are not great critics"

vs

"You are wrong! They are not funny!"

and

You guys are a fucking boon to any community open mic nights in your area. If I'm a stand-up I'm aiming for that Cinema Sins demographic as hard as I can because there's no way I can lose. I'd just have to make it super clear I want to be funny and the audience will just do all the heavy lifting for me. It'd be great.

I mean, until I have to play for people with taste. Then I'm fucked.

derFeef

Dark Souls 3 is kicking my ass. Trying to play while living with a sick baby in the middle of teething is spraying pepper spray in my face after my ass is already kicked.

I've made it like 2 bosses in after 6 hours. :lol

That's 2 bosses more than me and I played more...

But hey, games is easy peasy:
But 30 fucking hours?! How?! I fully explored everywhere on my first run (that's including the swamp) and still beat the game in about 22/23 hours and did all the side content in around 29 hours. Unless you're going full molebro and ganking newbies for days at a time it legit blows my mind that you take that long to get through the game.

hamchan

That's 2 bosses more than me and I played more...

But hey, games is easy peasy:

I finished Dark Souls 3 in 29 hours including all optional areas.

But I know I'm just fast instead of that guy going "You guys are so slow you can't beat Dark Souls in less than 30 hours omg it's blowing my mind"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The ones with names and life bars at the bottom? Is there others that may count?
Iudex and Vordt I think is the only ones I've beat.

Ah alright, yeah I can see 6 hours. Sometimes I'm not sure if people count the tutorial boss.

I'm at 3 bosses in 8 hours though I feel like I'm kinda rushing it in a way, even though I've pretty much explored out every area so far.

Ah alright, yeah I can see 6 hours. Sometimes I'm not sure if people count the tutorial boss.

I'm at 3 bosses in 8 hours though I feel like I'm kinda rushing it in a way, even though I've pretty much explored out every area so far.

I spent probably more time than I should have exploring the two paths that both lead to
The greatwood boss
then trying it a couple times. I'm pretty much right at where Brad was in the QL but it took me a minute to realize where I was or going because I got there in some weird way.

Antiwhippy

Did you skip that boss? It's not really that hard, and you get something cool out of it.

Also a 40k question, is the morality of the world as black & white as I perceive it (emperor good, chaos bad) or is it more black & black everything sucks?

Patryn

I suddenly want to play Breath of Fire 3 again.

Also, how was SaGa Frontier?

Breath of Fire 3 is on PSN right now. It's been out in Europe for forever, but they finally figured out whatever the rights issue was holding up it being released digitally in the US.

As for SaGa Frontier... t was different.

SaGa always had a weird leveling system, given that its roots were the original Final Fantasy II where you gain stats by doing things (hitting someone, being hit) as opposed to simply winning fights.

It was a fairly pretty game, but I never could crack the gameplay systems.

Did you skip that boss? It's not really that hard, and you get something cool out of it.

Also a 40k question, is the morality of the world as black & white as I perceive it (emperor good, chaos bad) or is it more black & black everything sucks?

Didn't really skip him because I haven't really moved on. Explored across the bridge a little bit and had to quit. Definitely don't plan on skipping though.

Tubobutts

Depends on how deep you want to get in to it and interpret stuff. I'd say on the surface it's Chaos is bad and the Emperor is good (for humans) but does really fucked up stuff.

Part of the reason I like Fantasy more is they are able to get more nuanced with it and go into detail with Chaos culture. Although it is usually ignored to just be like Chaos is bad you guys.

Black and black? From the little I remember from 10 years ago, the Imperium is nominally the "good guys" but they're pretty shitty too. Inquisitions and all that.

Depends on how deep you want to get in to it and interpret stuff. I'd say on the surface it's Chaos is bad and the Emperor is good (for humans) but does really fucked up stuff.

My knowledge of the 40k universe isn't that deep but this is how I've always seen it. Although even if the Emperor himself serves as a symbol for good basically everyone who worships him does a lot of bad shit.

I'm like 25 hours in, I'm sure I won't beat it in 5 more hours. I did spend 2 or 3 hours yesterday just putting down my white sign to help people beat a boss and I'm in a covenant that pulls me into other people's games when they are invaded to help protect them, but even still I'd take over 30 to finish. I do search every nook and cranny but I'd say the biggest thing that slows me down is my nervousness to start a new area. I find myself wasting time to build up the courage, ha.

Antiwhippy

Part of the reason I like Fantasy more is they are able to get more nuanced with it and go into detail with Chaos culture. Although it is usually ignored to just be like Chaos is bad you guys.

That's the thing though, I find the way it kinda justifies facism weird.

Tubobutts

That's the thing though, I find the way it kinda justifies facism weird.
I think that's due to weird tone stuff. 40k was originally a silly parody of that sort of stuff, but it kind of grew past that while occasionally retaining some of it. I only got into Warhammer stuff a few years ago so I'm not sure about all this, but it seems to me that the super serious grim dark approach is more popular while the silly aspects were toned down. Except for Ciaphas Cain stuff which is pretty silly and is popular.

And also there's an Ork named after Margeret Thatcher.

Antiwhippy

It's one of those universes where everyone is terrible.

But kinda terrible in a way that justifies the fascism?

Which I think telling a story where fascism is considered essential is certainly something that can be explored in fiction, I'm just missing the tone of the story-telling that you won't get from reading wikis to decide that if this is weird or if this is weird.

Like some of the rhetoric certainly sounds... trump-like, let's just say. In a super serious grimdark way.

hamchan

Dark Souls is actually not a super long game. A lot of hours come from dying repeatedly and retreading old ground. So as long as you make progress by getting a bonfire or opening a shortcut with every death it becomes much shorter. Then when you reach a boss and die, there's normally a quick run back path to the boss from the bonfire.

also people complaining about other people not beating a game fast enough in a world where an awful lot of $60 games are too short is pretty dumb.

e: it sucks we never got that SaGa 2 remake in the west

Strax

Breath of Fire 3 is on PSN right now. It's been out in Europe for forever, but they finally figured out whatever the rights issue was holding up it being released digitally in the US.

As for SaGa Frontier... t was different.

SaGa always had a weird leveling system, given that its roots were the original Final Fantasy II where you gain stats by doing things (hitting someone, being hit) as opposed to simply winning fights.

It was a fairly pretty game, but I never could crack the gameplay systems.

Bummer. It has great style imo.

Myggen

finally home and ready to watch some demo derby

actually, no, i need to get some trash food first

The Giant Bomb way.

I won't be home in about 4 hours or something. Fuck work. Need my Demo Derby fix. Two QLs in 10 minutes too (maybe the StarCraft one will actually go up tomorrow, seems pretty likely that they put the wrong date on that since two QLs going up at the same time is weird).

Which I think telling a story where fascism is considered essential is certainly something that can be explored in fiction, I'm just missing the tone of the story-telling that you won't get from reading wikis to decide that if this is weird or if this is weird.

Like some of the rhetoric certainly sounds... trump-like, let's just say. In a super serious grimdark way.

Often times those aspects are looked at negatively and the Imperium is seen as being super shitty so it might not be as weird as it comes across in wiki summaries.

It certainly doesn't help that over the years with all the different writers that have been involved in that universe there have definitely been some stories that seem to miss that the Imperium sucks.

derFeef

The Giant Bomb way.

I won't be home in about 4 hours or something. Fuck work. Need my Demo Derby fix. Two QLs in 10 minutes too (maybe the StarCraft one will actually go up tomorrow, seems pretty likely that they put the wrong date on that since two QLs going up at the same time is weird).

Such GB videos always make me pull out the worst food I can find and have a beer.
It's tradition.

Tubobutts

I think the main thing you're missing is that beyond a very surface level understanding of the setting, which is what you're getting from wikis, the Imperium is not good. And most of the fiction, especially the world building stuff is written from the point of view of the imperium. So in universe taking a "criminal", wiping their mind and using them as a living computer is a normal cool guy thing to do while you as the reader are supposed to think that it's fucked up.

Antiwhippy

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Just getting cutdown summaries from wikis certainly isn't the ideal way to learn.

So is eisenhorn considered to be a fairly good guy?

daydream

Banned
The Giant Bomb way.

yeah, api-kun seems to be leaking

or i guess they scheduled it wrong

Tubobutts

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Just getting cutdown summaries from wikis certainly isn't the ideal way to learn.

So is eisenhorn considered to be a fairly good guy?
It's complicated? For an Inquisitor he is. Maybe. Kind of.

I would say to read it, but Games Workshop having books go out of print.
Actually it looks like they reprinted the non omnibus editions last year. "Xenos" is the first book if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom