• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely Zombied out, but honestly I still think there is room for survival type games to be built upon by bigger studios. The problems with those games is they never get finished and they're all so janky. Even if it's a single player game those play styles are popular for a reason.

This would be their first console game since Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (the fourth in the series). In the meanwhile, they've only made portable games (Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow, Syphon Filter: Combat Ops, and Resistance: Retribution on PSP and Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Uncharted: Fight for Fortune (the card battle game) on Vita). In my opinion, they were all high quality games, especially their Syphon Filter games (still bummed they've never resolved Logan's Shadow's cliff-hanger ending).

This would be their first console game since Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (the fourth in the series). In the meanwhile, they've only made portable games (Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow, Syphon Filter: Combat Ops, and Resistance: Retribution on PSP and Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Uncharted: Fight for Fortune (the card battle game) on Vita). In my opinion, they were all high quality games, especially their Syphon Filter games (still bummed they've never resolved Logan's Shadow's cliff-hanger ending).

Oh damn, so anything open world seems kind of reaching for them. Hopefully they nail it though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Man, Dan is such a whiner sometimes. In the new Demo Derby

Dan: We're going in order? Ok, but if there's Twisted Metal I wanna play it!

*Red Alert pops up on Drew's turn*

Dan: Awwwwwwww maaaaaaaan, come on Drew let me play it!

Drew: Ok but then I get to play Twisted Metal if it pops up.

Dan: Whaaaaaaat? No!

It was cringe-inducing.

Sounds EXACTLY how I would play demos with my brothers. Bargaining for demos or playtime and having to make the Sophie's choice of video games.

The snow level with the boulder in crash bandicoot or the tomb raider two demo where you're stuck in the den with the tiger. Both provide ample opportunities for demo fuckery.

it was made for scrawny dorks who scribbled the slayer logo on their book covers like me

it was a game made by dorks who loved metal and thought satanic imagery was kewl for dorks who loved metal and thought satanic imagery was kewl. It was made for kids who loved making boot discs to free up a teeny bit of ram for their latest MS-DOS floppy disk games and for people with the patience to check IRQs and patiently set up their sound blaster configurations to make certain they got them sick tunes right.

let's not pretend doom was made for anyone but people like that (a group i include myself in, btw). that it took off the way it did was more a tale of the times than it was a game meant to appeal to a broad swath of gamers.

The demos for Half-Life and Diablo were great back in the day. The Diablo demo (Diablo Spawn was the name, I think) had full battle.net support so you could play online and everything. Deus Ex had a huge demo, too. Growing up with a subscription to PC Gamer and its monthly demo discs was pretty damn cool.

Oh damn, so anything open world seems kind of reaching for them. Hopefully they nail it though.

Well, they last released a game in 2012. It was Uncharted: Fight For Fortune, which was a collaboration with One Loop Games. Uncharted Golden: Abyss, which released earlier that year, was their last "real" game. So, they've been working on Dead Don't Ride since at least 2012 and I doubt it will be a 2016 release, so that's quite a lengthy development timeline. I hope that time was put to good use and learned a lot about open world game do's and don'ts.

UT 2003 had a great demo, too. I played the hell out of that Bombing Run map and was endlessly amused seeing my dude bouncing and ricocheting off of the metal beams in the pit behind the goal (this was still very much in the "PHYSICS ARE COOL" era).

has Spawn ever been good

serious question, it just always comes across as edgelord shit to me, never read any comics

no, it was never good. It just got by on McFarlene's designs, which appeal to 90's teens who were into metal, comics, and doom.

I read like the first 13 issues trying really hard to get into it and I couldn't even force it and it was made for people like me

The HBO cartoon was kinda neat though. no one was making animation like that at the time (except for a small pacific island nation which loved to produce animations for all sorts of people) so it was a hell of a novelty

Strax

no, it was never good. It just got by on McFarlene's designs, which appeal to 90's teens who were into metal, comics, and doom.

I read like the first 13 issues trying really hard to get into it and I couldn't even force it and it was made for people like me

The HBO cartoon was kinda neat though. no one was making animation like that at the time (except for a small pacific island nation which loved to produce animations for all sorts of people) so it was a hell of a novelty

I went to a film school with a dude who listed his top 2 fav. movies as Spawn and Ninja Assassin

Frenden

Banned
You did the animation and stuff, right?
Vis dev. I designed all the costumes/characters. Stuff like this:

tumblr_nz5hakDuQg1qz6c60o1_1280.png

Joel is the humblest, nicest client I've worked for in almost twenty years of doing this stuff. Getting to world build on the new series was incredibly professionally satisfying. I shot for Conan the Barbarian meets Barbarella, art direction wise.

Myggen

Vis dev. I designed all the costumes/characters. Stuff like this:

Joel is the humblest, nicest client I've worked for in almost twenty years of doing this stuff. Getting to world build on the new series was incredibly professionally satisfying. I shot for Conan the Barbarian meets Barbarella, art direction wise.

Awesome. Really looking forward to the new episodes.

Myggen

Me too. I'm really happy to see it get a second life. Lots of very talented people involved, so I have high hopes.

Sounds really promising!

This Gran Turismo interview on Demo Derby is the saddest thing. Didn`t sound like those dude had been home for the entire development of that game.

Strax

He probably got through film school the same way Dan did.

From what I've heard Dan say he was film major but not in a film school, right?

Anyway this dude and his two best friends went to my film school and they were all from the same small town, maybe 1000 people, 1 hour drive outside of Reykjavík. Of course they all worked together on all their projects and they did the same mistakes, in addition to being all around bad, over and over and over in the short films they made.

1. Made them in english with young actors that have never acted before in english even tho the only people that will ever see them are Icelandic.
2. Only made movies that required a really high amount of CGI and practical effects while at the same time having 0 budget.

I love my film school because it had great teachers but I hate people who can't even learn the basics of filmmaking finish it because the school can't afford losing the income from each student.

is he currently making TNA video packages

Hah!

So probably, the same demographic that will be really into Drawn to Death's (David Jaffe's free-to-play PS4 game) aesthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom