• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the comments.

2842798-gbdd.jpg

I love this so much.

Werewolf
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Prince of Space
Invasion of the Neptune Men
Hobgoblins
Soultaker
Gamera
Pumaman
Mitchell
Pod People
Manos
The Final Sacrifice
Laserblast

every sandy frank MST3k is a classic. your list leans more Mike than Joel which I get but there are some gems not listed like Cave Dwellers. Mighty Jack, Master Ninja I & II, Monster a Go-Go (the ending alone is worth it), Future War, I Accuse My Parents, The Touch of Satan, and The Skydivers.

fuck i could go on. basically like at least a 1/3 of MST3K is must watch.

Roll Fizzlebeef

Nerdy confession: Me and a couple friends in the hayday of Halo 3 had XBL accounts with names from Space Mutiny just to play as a team.

Patryn

all these smaller projects that insomniac is piling up suggests the studio is moving away from larger AAA/retail productions to a more Double Fine like business model of selling publishers on smaller projects and doing a ton of those instead as they seem like safer bets to them now.

hopefully it turns out more like double fine and less like harmonix, which tried a somewhat similar approach and it turned out pretty bad for them. Though at least if things start falling apart with insomniac for whatever reason surely Sony would jump in to keep them afloat.

They took 2 swings at trying to create their own AAA franchise and whiffed both times.

I think they're licking their wounds and trying to survive.

every sandy frank MST3k is a classic. your list leans more Mike than Joel which I get but there are some gems not listed like Cave Dwellers. Mighty Jack, Master Ninja I & II, Monster a Go-Go (the ending alone is worth it), Future War, I Accuse My Parents, The Touch of Satan, and The Skydivers.

fuck i could go on. basically like at least a 1/3 of MST3K is must watch.

not having Cave Dwellers on that list is a crime but actually it's pretty close to my tastes as far as "top 10" material goes. My list tends to lean more towards Mike too but I think he got better movies and I slightly prefer Bill to Trace as Crow (blasphemy, I know).

Pod People is my all-time #1 by the way. it stinks!

jaina

great!
thanks
i think i may have interchangeably thought of mst3k and twilight zone as the same thing in the past
As fellow European without direct exposure I can see that happening, although it hasn't happened to myself. My shorthands are Twilight Zone="presumably good but too scary to watch" and MST3K="movie riffs with robots, YMMV" (and not to be confused with the MDK games).
also listening to jefflr, I see

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Blast Hardcheese seems to be the most remembered and most referenced. Isn't the MST3K Gaf thread even named that? That seemed to be the most stand out one.

That or Roll Fizzlebeef seem to be the big ones that I find mentioned. I saw the episode well after it originally aired so I imagine I had heard them before I even knew what they were referencing.

justjim89

Man, Dan is such a whiner sometimes. In the new Demo Derby

Dan: We're going in order? Ok, but if there's Twisted Metal I wanna play it!

*Red Alert pops up on Drew's turn*

Dan: Awwwwwwww maaaaaaaan, come on Drew let me play it!

Drew: Ok but then I get to play Twisted Metal if it pops up.

Dan: Whaaaaaaat? No!

It was cringe-inducing.

frostyxc

Mike and Joel are both great in their own ways. Let us not fight... like the Hu-Mans.

I'm adding some old ones:

Robot Monster
Catalina Caper
Untamed Youth

And some "newer" ones:

Giant Spider Invasion
Red Zone Cuba
Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell

You need a balanced diet of MST3K to fill your nutritional requirements. Your guys' (gal?) lists are mostly a good collection of greats, though.

This seems less a reflection and more somehow listing off current trends from a sheet of paper to the game designers.

oh I don't know, that right there sounds an awful lot like a sign of the times. when "how do we make this ad campaign go viral" is something that people actually ponder for money.

I don't even necessarily mourn the death of the 90's style DOOM, I'm just sad that this is where we are in life

This seems less a reflection and more somehow listing off current trends from a sheet of paper to the game designers.

It's utterly flavourless.

DOOM was made to appeal to the 13 year olds of the mid 90s

DOOM4 appears to have been made to appeal to the 13 year olds of the mid teens

it being a mishmash of several hot trends in gaming and being flavorless is part of that, really.

derFeef

DOOM was made to appeal to the 13 year olds of the mid 90s

DOOM4 appears to have been made to appeal to the 13 year olds the mid teens

it being a mishmash of several hot trends in gaming and being flavorless is part of that, really.
1. I think it's not that.
2. Look at 13yo nowadays and mirror it with the 13 year old of yourself. Yup.

Are 13 year old's buying this type of game though? I see no minecraft or survival elements.

shit if i know, but it has the carlton so it's a game trying to appeal to both old and new doomers.

babydoomers is what they're likely appealing to, a demographic that i just made up but that really exists and that this game was theoretically made for. it sure as shit wasn't made for people who actually like and remember doom, and the 30 and 40 year olds out there.

13 year olds were way cooler in 1993

you'll find no one disagreeing with you here or anywhere else

Not sure if anyone here is interested, but it sounds like it's been found out what Sony Bend's (the Syphon Filter guys) next game is. For a long time, it's been rumored that they are making an open world horror game. Well, that seems to be confirmed (with a title, too). The game appears to be a post-apocalyptic game (with zombies?) in which you scavenge for supplies and ride motorcycles (like Daryl from TWD?). It's apparently called Dead Don't Ride (the name was first mentioned 2 years ago and was recently trademarked by Sony). Interesting concept, but I'm kinda zombied out. Kind of hoped for a new Syphon Filter.

Not sure if anyone here is interested, but it sounds like it's been found out what Sony Bend's (the Syphon Filter guys) next game is. For a long time, it's been rumored that they are making an open world horror game. Well, that seems to be confirmed (with a title, too). The game appears to be a post-apocalyptic game (with zombies?) in which you scavenge for supplies and ride motorcycles (like Daryl from TWD?). It's apparently called Dead Don't Ride (the name was first mentioned 2 years ago and was just trademarked by Sony). Interesting concept, but I'm kinda zombied out. Kind of hoped for a new Syphon Filter.

Definitely Zombied out, but honestly I still think there is room for survival type games to be built upon by bigger studios. The problems with those games is they never get finished and they're all so janky. Even if it's a single player game those play styles are popular for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom