• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are just forgetting the time Spawn confronted that abusive father and branded him with "I BEAT MY KIDS" tattoos all over his body. You won't see Spider-Man doing anything that fucking hardcore.

signed, 9-year-old me

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The box art for Enter the Ninja's blu-ray is as amazing as you'd expect
81J58zsgfZL._SL1500_.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
The box art for Enter the Ninja's blu-ray is as amazing as you'd expect

Sho Kosugi is a national treasure.

I grew up watching all his movies in the 80s with my older brother.

Enter the ninja, Revenge of the Ninja, Ninja 3: The Domination amongst others... So many 80s classics.

Tubobutts

Huh, apparently Mark Strong is voicing Eisenhorn in the game. That's interesting since he was Captain Titus in Space Marine. I wonder if he is a Warhammer fan.

Huh, apparently Mark Strong is voicing Eisenhorn in the game. That's interesting since he was Captain Titus in Space Marine. I wonder if he is a Warhammer fan.

I knew he sounded familiar, guess that explains it. Maybe that also explains why the rest of the game is so rough, unless he's actually really cheap.

That's amazing. Space Marine was more fun than it had any right to be.

Like Vinny said in the QL, that game would be quite something if it had an actual budget.

Anjin M

Oh weird. Are they knowingly evoking Starcraft Ghost?
Yes they are. The producer told Jason Schreier that they were staying away from the Ghost time line though, because evidently that's still in lore to Blizzard.
Not sure if anyone here is interested, but it sounds like it's been found out what Sony Bend's (the Syphon Filter guys) next game is. For a long time, it's been rumored that they are making an open world horror game. Well, that seems to be confirmed (with a title, too). The game appears to be a post-apocalyptic game (with zombies?) in which you scavenge for supplies and ride motorcycles (like Daryl from TWD?). It's apparently called Dead Don't Ride (the name was first mentioned 2 years ago and was recently trademarked by Sony). Interesting concept, but I'm kinda zombied out. Kind of hoped for a new Syphon Filter.
I don't want to kill the messenger, but this sounds terrible. Yuck.

I was really not enjoying Demo Derby early on with the MST3K bit but then they moved on to xtreme Gone Home announcer, localisation stuff, PlayStation 5-12 and 15 (no 13 or 14) and Jeff reading reader's comments and all is right with the world again!

Brashnir

Not sure if anyone here is interested, but it sounds like it's been found out what Sony Bend's (the Syphon Filter guys) next game is. For a long time, it's been rumored that they are making an open world (NOUN) game. Well, that seems to be confirmed (with a title, too). The game appears to be a (ADJECTIVE) game (with (PLURAL NOUN)?) in which you (VERB) for (NOUN) and (VERB) (PLURAL NOUN) (like Daryl from TWD?). It's apparently called Dead Don't Ride (the name was first mentioned 2 years ago and was recently trademarked by Sony). Interesting concept, but I'm kinda zombied out. Kind of hoped for a new Syphon Filter.

Replace a couple words here and there and you have a synopsis for almost every AAA game lately.

Edit - I just Mad Libs'ed that shit for you all.

Yes they are. The producer told Jason Schreier that they were staying away from the Ghost time line though, because evidently that's still in lore to Blizzard.

I don't want to kill the messenger, but this sounds terrible. Yuck.

Like I said in a follow-up post, this is their first game since 2012. The last console game they made was in 2004 (Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain).

These are the games Sony Bend (previously Eidetic) have made:

1996: Bubsy 3D (PS1) (GameRankings: 51: Metacritic: N/A)
1999: Syphon Filter (PS1) (GameRankings: 87/Metacritic: 90
2000: Syphon Filter 2 (PS1) (GameRankings: 81/Metacritic: N/A)
2001: Syphon Filter 3 (PS1) (GameRankings: 75/Metacritic: 73)
2004: Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (PS2) (Gamerankings: 65/Metacritic: 65)
2006: Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PSP) (Was ported to PS2) (GameRankings PSP: 87/Metacritic PSP: 87/GameRankings PS2: 71/Metacritic PS2: 70)
2007: Syhpon Filter: Logan's Shadow (PSP) (Was ported to PS2) (GameRankings PSP: 84/Metacritic PSP: 85/GameRankings PS2: 71/Metacritic PS2: 85)
2007: Syphon Filter: Combat Ops (PSP) (Multiplayer only) (GameRankings: N/A/Metacritic: N/A)
2009: Resistance: Retribution (PSP) (GameRankings: 82.89/Metacritic: 81)
2011: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PSVita) (GameRankings: 81/Metacritic: 80)
2012: Uncharted: Fight for Fortune (PSVita) (Trading card battle game co-developed with One Loop Games) (GameRankings: 65.87/Metacritic: 67)

As you can see (apart from Fight for Fortune, which is a card battle game and was co-developed with another company), Bend has only ever made linear, third-person games. This would be their first open-world game. It would also be their first game since 2012, their first "real" game since 2011, and their first console-focused game since 2004. I really want them to succeed, because they are a very talented group. They absolutely mastered third-person controls for portables (and on a handheld with only one nub, to boot!). I absolutely loved their PSP games (as well as Golden Abyss on Vita). Though, if I had my way, this would be an open-world Syphon Filter game, though that might've drawn too many comparisons to MGSV. Also, since this is yet to be announced (surely, E3 2016), I have to wonder if it's still a year or two away. If so, that is a long time between releasing games.

TraBuch

Banned
Guerrilla has only made linear first person shooters of questionable quality but that doesn't stop people from being excited for their open world third person game.

Frankly, I think Bend has a better pedigree.

Guerrilla has only made linear first person shooters of questionable quality but that doesn't stop people from being excited for their open world third person game.

Frankly, I think Bend has a better pedigree.

I may be wrong, but The Omega Strain was their only critical flop. Their Syphon Filter games (especially the PSP ones) were (and are) held in high regard. Even Jeff, spoke fondly of the original a while back.

Edit- Bubsy 3D, Uncharted: Fight for Fortune, and Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain received 50's and 60's on Metacritic/GameRankings (not at all terrible games, just very mediocre). All their other games were 75-87. So, they release consistently well scoring games. So, yeah, they have a great pedigree.

ArjanN

Nova Covert Ops seems like too little too late.

The whole appeal of Starcraft Ghost was that it was a 3rd person action game in that universe. This seems too much like regular Starcraft, and the way they handled the story of Starcraft 2 already kind of devalued the universe for me as well.

Jesus, I'm listening to this great Lorne Lanning interview on the Game Informer Show and his take on the VR landscape is something else. "There's more fraud going on than I've ever seen in the business. There's more bullshit." Basically likens it to the 3DO "interactive entertainment" nonsense back in the mid-90s.

I'm not really liking her show.

Yeah, I caught bits of it here and there and didn't like it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom