• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say, the fan service stuff feels really odd up front, but once you get out of the initial areas, Dark Souls 3 really becomes its own thing. I'm not a lore expert by any means, but I love seeing the new areas and having those 'oh shit, this is actually X from DS 1' moments. A lot of that stuff is subtle too. It really fits with the feel of Dark Souls 3 as well. It definitely seems to be trying to depict (general theme spoilers)
a dying world that's already lost the flame linked cycle
. I think the stuff they use from the old games really enhances that.

Isn't that all Souls game tho? Each game seems like a post-apocalypse each time, but this one enhances it a bit more.

I would say that really only holds for the first couple major areas
Undead Settlement and Farron's Keep (The poison area)
, but once you get out further the game shows you its more original content. You have stuff like
Smoldering Lake
that shares a similar motif with some early Dark Souls stuff, but they do that for a good reason and the way they implement those levels feels pretty unique still.

That's good to hear. I was worried I had all the game's tricks figured out. Like those ambushes and shit don't work on me after five games.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In a way I kinda want dark souls 2-3 to look at my previous save in dark souls so that it can go
"Oh you chose THAT? Well don't worry about this game then, didn't happen."

yami4ct

Isn't that all Souls game tho? Each game seems like a post-apocalypse each time, but this one enhances it a bit more.

Kind of, but not really. Dark Souls 1 and 2 are dying worlds. Things are beginning to go to shit, but there's still light. Dark Souls 3 feels like a game where
that light has already been extinguished and people are clamoring over the bits left behind. Hence stuff like the Lords of 'Cinder' and finding Embers. It's a game about finding the remnants of the fire, not stoking one that's still around
. It's a really subtle, but interesting difference that gives Dark Souls 3 a different, and
much bleaker
feel. I think it's a fitting way to go out on the trilogy.

I tried doing the sunken king dlc but fucking a that shit was rough. Decided to just march on and finish dark souls 2 instead, check out the dlc in a month or two.

And of course the final boss took me nearly 2 hours. But I got her!!

yami4ct

Wait, really?

edit: also are we reaching serious spoiler territory? I don't mind but rather be careful for people who care.

From my interpretation so far, yes.

Dark Souls 2 is a game where you continue the linked flame cycle. Dark Souls 3 is a game where the flame was not linked and the cycle ended.

It's thematic spoilers. My interpretation doesn't have any hard evidence yet. It's stuff you could pickup on from the very first intro cutscene.

From my interpretation so far, yes.

Dark Souls 2 is a game where you continue the linked flame cycle. Dark Souls 3 is a game where the flame was not linked and the cycle ended.

It's thematic spoilers. My interpretation doesn't have any hard evidence yet. It's stuff you could pickup on from the very first intro cutscene.

One of the bosses in 3
is literally made up of other bosses in 1 and 2.

KingKong

The last set of bosses in DS3 is seriously great. I think they really nailed the amount of HP they all had, I never thought any of them took too long (some maybe a bit too short)

Two of the optional bosses especially are fantastic

Reading the article where Austin says a co-op game that is 4 players on PS4, could be 8 on PS4 "Neo", that's him guessing, right? Because PS4 currently uses Bluetooth for its controllers. Bluetooth allows for a maximum of 7 devices. For there to be 8, Sony would have to switch to RF-based controllers like 360 and XB1.

yami4ct

The last set of bosses in DS3 is seriously great. I think they really nailed the amount of HP they all had, I never thought any of them took too long (some maybe a bit too short)

Two of the optional bosses especially are fantastic

I loved the first couple bosses, but then I hit a spot where they definitely fell off in difficulty.
The Deacons of the Deep, Crystal Sage and especially High Lord Wolnir
were all kind of Eh. Look forward to them bumping it back up a notch,

I verbally went
"Waa! Onion!" like a tiny anime girl when I met the Onion Knight from DS1
, so I'll probably have a seizure when that happens.

Not the same Onion Knight, but from the same land

KingKong

I loved the first couple bosses, but then I hit a spot where they definitely fell off in difficulty.
The Deacons of the Deep, Crystal Sage and especially High Lord Wolnir
were all kind of Eh. Look forward to them bumping it back up a notch,

oh yeah, I'd say you've got by far the best and most aggressive bosses coming up. A lot of them too. Hope you like big guys with swords and a whole lot of stamina

yami4ct

He
died to the fire demon
in my game. :(

Show me a health bar if you're going to do that damnit!

I didn't even know that could happen.
He basically killed the demon on his own in my game because I was fire based.
. That would probably have further ramifications as well.
Don't send Greirat on his second expedition if you don't want him to die.

What do you think of Yhorm then?

Haven't seen him yet. I assume he's coming up pretty quick. I'm alternating between
The Smoldering Lake and the Irithyll Dungeon. Plan to go finish up the Lake once I get the Giant's Coal and can turn my weapon into a Chaos based thing that can actually scale with my good stats.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I didn't even know that could happen.
He basically killed the demon on his own in my game because I was fire based.
. That would probably have further ramifications as well.
Don't send Greirat on his second expedition if you don't want him to die.

I thought that too. :(

Bowlie

Banned
Swordmaster, your spoilered image appears on mobile, if you could just put a link to it.

I finished DS3 today, my mind is still confused.

edit:
Jintor, to your question:
the entrance is just before Wolnir's room.

edit: Thanks! It was a big moment when I discovered that.

Jintor

Swordmaster, your spoilered image appears on mobile, if you could just put a link to it.

I finished DS3 today, my mind is still confused.

edit:
Jintor, to your question:
the entrance is just before Wolnir's room.

edit: Thanks! It was a big moment when I discovered that.

wut

i'll have to go back and check, I was dead tired of that area by then I think and didn't bother poking around.

does blessed damage work against the skellies that keep getting back up?

Doop

wut

i'll have to go back and check, I was dead tired of that area by then I think and didn't bother poking around.

does blessed damage work against the skellies that keep getting back up?

The skeletons only die twice this time, and it's only the skeletons with glowing eyes. I dunno if holy damage keeps them down, but either way they're a bit easier.

Renpatsu

Reading the article where Austin says a co-op game that is 4 players on PS4, could be 8 on PS4 "Neo", that's him guessing, right? Because PS4 currently uses Bluetooth for its controllers. Bluetooth allows for a maximum of 7 devices. For there to be 8, Sony would have to switch to RF-based controllers like 360 and XB1.
Sounds like a guess thrown only as an example. He probably doesn't know of the specific limitations of bluetooth and given Sony's stance on compatibility they wouldn't make a controller for the Neo with a different wireless standard to the PS4.

I wonder if Jeff played Dark Souls 3. He seemed interested in it during the last bombcast..

I remember thinking this back in the day, but why did they eat it knowing it could have been poisoned with bacteria?

I reckon half the things we eat are poisoned with bacteria. It's everywhere, it is. It could be on you...right now..

Visions of Chest is probably my favorite Dark Souls 3 message so far.

It was in front of a painting of Gwynevere

Praise the Soup!

My favourite messages are the ones referencing
NPCs that haven't spawned for me for some reason meaning I can't complete their story arcs if I just keep playing through the game normally.

Also "here! lick but hole" next to a corpse hanging over a railing never gets old.

KingKong

You know what the best part about beating a Souls game without summoning is? Smugly telling people to get good out loud to myself as I read their posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom