• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

4K itself is a silly marketing term. It's not 4000 pixels wide, and conventional resolution naming uses horizontal lines to determine the name. It's 2160p, but that doesn't sound futuristic enough.

This upgraded console is a dumb idea Sony probably mandated to push their 4K TVs.

Consumers have always been sort of immune to the 'numbers got bigger' resolution naming. 720p, 1080p, 2160p, etc. all sound like gibberish to your average TV consumer. The 'HD' branding is what eventually sold 720p/1080p screens. 4k is a term that just sounds better to your average consumer.

FStop7

Banned
It seems to me like these are pretty modest upgrades meant to allow for better VR games.

I dunno, I think this "leak" is Sony softening the disappointment ahead of E3 since the rumor mill was starting to get pretty wild about the PS4K being a big technological leap ahead.

yami4ct

It seems to me like these are pretty modest upgrades meant to allow for better VR games.

I dunno, I think this "leak" is Sony softening the disappointment ahead of E3 since the rumor mill was starting to get pretty wild about the PS4K being a big technological leap ahead.

It seems to me that it's more to push 4K TVs and Blu-Rays than anything. VR is a side benefit. Sony knows 4K is the first thing in the TV market that has any sort of momentum since the HD changeover. They don't want to let it slip.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I reckon it's an intentional leak.

maxKPDH.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Really though, I just hope that it releases before PSVR.

If not I'll have to hold onto a headset for like months, and that's no fun.

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh... My phone suddenly decided to not read my MicroSD Card anymore... Now I'm trying to think of what I could use in my house that reads MicroSD Cards... The only think I could think of are my 3DS/WiiU but I imagine I can't format the card using those...

yami4ct

Really though, I just hope that it releases before PSVR.

If not I'll have to hold onto a headset for like months, and that's no fun.

It'll be Spring 2017. Those are the rumors and that makes the most sense. I'd make an avatar bet, but I already have one going around the Tales of Berseria launch date and it's probably a bad idea to overlap.

Sigh... My phone suddenly decided to not read my MicroSD Card anymore... Now I'm trying to think of what I could use in my house that reads MicroSD Cards... The only think I could think of are my 3DS/WiiU but I imagine I can't format the card using those...

Wii U/3DS read regular SD cards, not micro. New 3DS use Micro. AFAIK, you could format the card with those, though. You'd need a micro->regular SD adapter, but those are cheap.

So what is Austin's scooping name? (Since Scoops is already taken.)
I posted this for the 'what's your internet speed' thread, so I might as well mirror it here.

Get your shit together, US infrastructure laws.

I hope this message reaches you some day:

My condolences.

justjim89

Man, the moment in Dark Souls 3 when you (location spoilers)
return to Anor Londo
gave me absolute chills. I know it's exactly the kind of blatant fan service that Brad and Austin have both mentioned, but it's such a great moment. Seeing the
old statue of Gwyn, his silver nights still defending the crumbling keep, the corpse of the Giant Blacksmith.
Nostalgic and charming to see, but still intimidating.

And also kinda sad.

Megasoum

Banned
It'll be Spring 2017. Those are the rumors and that makes the most sense. I'd make an avatar bet, but I already have one going around the Tales of Berseria launch date and it's probably a bad idea to overlap.

Wii U/3DS read regular SD cards, not micro. New 3DS use Micro. AFAIK, you could format the card with those, though. You'd need a micro->regular SD adapter, but those are cheap.

I do have an adapter but what kind of formating does it do? Is it some kind of Nintendo proprietary?

I guess I could at least see if the card is completely dead.

yami4ct

I hope this message reaches you some day:

My condolences.

Imagine downloading a 30 GB PC game like the Witcher 3 on that.

Let me tell you, it's not a fun process. Basically requires 3 days of devoting my connection just to the download.

I do have an adapter but what kind of formating does it do? Is it some kind of Nintendo proprietary?

I guess I could at least see if the card is completely dead.

I've put my card into a PC and saw all the shit, so it's not Nintendo proprietary. I think it's Fat32.

FAKE EDIT:

Looking at Nintendo's site, it is Fat32. Most SD cards under 32GBs come formatted Fat32 already, so if your card is that size you should be able to put it in your console and go. Otherwise, you'll have to use a PC formatting tool.

I didn't think the "date the tanks" suggestion back in Metal Gear Scanlon Finale live stream was funny but now thinking back it was humorous. Ha.

Megasoum

Banned
Imagine downloading a 30 GB PC game like the Witcher 3 on that.

Let me tell you, it's not a fun process. Basically requires 3 days of devoting my connection just to the download.

I've put my card into a PC and saw all the shit, so it's not Nintendo proprietary. I think it's Fat32.

FAKE EDIT:

Looking at Nintendo's site, it is Fat32. Most SD cards under 32GBs come formatted Fat32 already, so if your card is that size you should be able to put it in your console and go. Otherwise, you'll have to use a PC formatting tool.

Yeah it's FAT 32 which my card should be already but the 3DS doesn't seem to see it... Sigh..

Of course that happens on the day I decide not to bring my work laptop home lol.

I also used to have an SD Card USB ready but I can't find it, I think I threw it out a couple of months ago... Sigh

TraBuch

Banned
Man, the moment in Dark Souls 3 when you (location spoilers)
return to Anor Londo
gave me absolute chills. I know it's exactly the kind of blatant fan service that Brad and Austin have both mentioned, but it's such a great moment. Seeing the
old statue of Gwyn, his silver nights still defending the crumbling keep, the corpse of the Giant Blacksmith.
Nostalgic and charming to see, but still intimidating.

And also kinda sad.

Looks like EpicNameBro is really disappointed in all the fanservicey stuff. Wonder if it all ties into the story in the end or if it really is just fanservice.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok so the 3DS CAN see the SD Card but there's no Format option on the 3DS itself... Nintendo recommand to use a Windows Tool... Really usefull lol

yami4ct

Ok so the 3DS CAN see the SD Card but there's no Format option on the 3DS itself... Nintendo recommand to use a Windows Tool... Really usefull lol

Probably saving the money they'd have to use to license an SD formatting tool. Weird tool licensing like that gets really funny some times.

justjim89

Looks like EpicNameBro is really disappointed in all the fanservicey stuff. Wonder if it all ties into the story in the end or if it really is just fanservice.

I haven't beaten it yet, obviously, but I thought it's been fairly well-done so far. A bit more direct than Dark Souls typically is, sure, but I can't imagine why it would ruin any lore.

yami4ct

I will say, the fan service stuff feels really odd up front, but once you get out of the initial areas, Dark Souls 3 really becomes its own thing. I'm not a lore expert by any means, but I love seeing the new areas and having those 'oh shit, this is actually X from DS 1' moments. A lot of that stuff is subtle too. It really fits with the feel of Dark Souls 3 as well. It definitely seems to be trying to depict (general theme spoilers)
a dying world that's already lost the flame linked cycle
. I think the stuff they use from the old games really enhances that.

I've only played DS3 for 7 hours (I've felled like 3 bosses), but I'm getting a really bad feeling from it. Like it's going to just be hitting the Dark Souls beats and that's it because it's a Dark Souls game. Kind of like New Super Mario Bros. That doesn't mean it's bad (it's really good), but that it's not super compelling or interesting. It's not pulling me in.

yami4ct

I've only played DS3 for 7 hours (I've felled like 3 bosses), but I'm getting a really bad feeling from it. Like it's going to just be hitting the Dark Souls beats and that's it because it's a Dark Souls game. Kind of like New Super Mario Bros. That doesn't mean it's bad (it's really good), but that it's not super compelling or interesting. It's not pulling me in.

I would say that really only holds for the first couple major areas
Undead Settlement and Farron's Keep (The poison area)
, but once you get out further the game shows you its more original content. You have stuff like
Smoldering Lake
that shares a similar motif with some early Dark Souls stuff, but they do that for a good reason and the way they implement those levels feels pretty unique still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom