• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

hort

Neo Member
I've listened to most of that one and skipped through the rest of it trying to find it, but haven't found it yet =\

EDIT: oh shit, yea, finally found it, thats it. Around the 2 hour 25 minute mark.

I feel like he was on a bombcast right before or right after he went to Sony or he was in the process of moving/relocating and Dan happened to be out of town when he was there. Am I crazy?

I also thought it was when Dan wasn't there, which is why I didn't got through the above one as closely, but Dan is there the whole time.

The weirdest thing about this Nikki Glazer podcast is finding out how monetized Snapchat is. It's just something I've had no interaction with and didn't understand how corporations would want anything to do with it. Kind of weird.

The beginning of the mailbag was funny. It was a perfect picture of Dan's persona. (He watching himself slap Greg Miller, desk full of Amiibos and WWE stuff.)
PcH9PVPl.png

The weirdest thing about this Nikki Glazer podcast is finding out how monetized Snapchat is. It's just something I've had no interaction with and didn't understand how corporations would want anything to do with it. Kind of weird.

I only have tangential connections to marketing/social media in my position but it's insane how companies wait with bated breath for new social media venues to exploit

as someone who has minimal connection to social media (or more accurately, uses it for purposes that serve next to no interest to marketing people) the whole thing seems alien and weird and I'm glad I don't have to worry about it.

A weird part of working in IT (and probably other lines of work) is having to relay information that you don't understand, and then when people ask about it you're left like "I don't even understand the words I just said to you."

Strax

"You're a fucking man, You're not allowed to talk to women like that. You are capable of rape" might be most fucked up thing I've heard on a podcast

Wunder

yeah that was pretty neat. I knew how popular that Discover stuff was and for the most part a lot of it looks like a pretty rad way of getting a specific type of content stuffed into your face, but I didn't realize the creators got a cut every time someone swipes into the story.

A weird part of working in IT (and probably other lines of work) is having to relay information that you don't understand, and then when people ask about it you're left like "I don't even understand the words I just said to you."

yup. "shit man, I just know what it does. if you want to know how it does what it does, go talk to the engineer."

yeah that was pretty neat. I knew how popular that Discover stuff was and for the most part a lot of it looks like a pretty rad way of getting a specific type of content stuffed into your face, but I didn't realize the creators got a cut every time someone swipes into the story.

It seems weird to think that an app that's(probably) primarily used for nude pics is more/better monetized than Twitter.

It seems weird to think that an app that's(probably) primarily used for nude pics is more/better monetized than Twitter.

twitter doesn't even know what twitter is. every change they make is for the worse. they're just lucky that they got in early enough to snag a significant user base.

I don't work in IT but still have this happen more frequently than it should.

DamnBoxes

Yeah I reckon it probably happens across many fields. It sucks and I hate it, and I never know a nice way to say "don't shoot the messenger."

I avoid some of these frustrating situations by throwing in "As per (enter smart person's name here)" -- followed by the gibberish -- and then cap it off with a "If you have any questions you want me to relay back to (enter smart person's name here) please let me know."

justjim89

"You're a fucking man, You're not allowed to talk to women like that. You are capable of rape" might be most fucked up thing I've heard on a podcast

Fucked up from what perspective? Men shouldn't talk to women like they're pieces of meat. I don't understand what's to disagree with in what she said. Unless I'm falsely remembering the context around that quote, I don't understand what there is to disagree with.

ArjanN

Heh, I knew that would trigger someone, honestly I think she just meant that when she makes a sex joke it's not equivalent to random dudes online throwing gross stuff her way.

Bascially the 'Why isn't there a white history month?' thing.

Heh, I knew that would trigger someone, honestly I think she just meant that when she makes a sex joke it's not equivalent to random dudes online throwing gross stuff her way.

Bascially the 'Why isn't there a white history month?' thing.

Yeah, this is exactly what I took from it. There's a context for harassment that women receive from men online -- namely, the thought that "this guy could actually find me and overpower me" -- that makes it more threatening than your typical online shit-slinging.

Yeah, this is exactly what I took from it. There's a context for harassment that women receive from men online -- namely, the thought that "this guy could actually find me and overpower me" -- that makes it more threatening than your typical online shit-slinging.

Regardless of what she even added to it. You are not allowed to say "Hey, I like your comedy special because I can laugh and jack off at the same time."

The rest of what she says just makes it worse.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Fun fact after all these years I still don't know how to do emotes in GB chat (don't tell me, I wish to remain pure)

Strax

Fucked up from what perspective? Men shouldn't talk to women like they're pieces of meat. I don't understand what's to disagree with in what she said. Unless I'm falsely remembering the context around that quote, I don't understand what there is to disagree with.

Saying "You are capable of rape" is always fucked up, no matter the context. She even says the guys how treat her like a meat online are assholes and dumb and might not even know what they are doing is sexual harassment. Rapists are not assholes or dumb guys and thats the end of that, it undermines the issue. They are people with problems that need help.

vinnyvania related: I'm playing through SOTN to try to finish it for the first time ever (i've picked it up several times over the years but never put like more than an hour into it) and yeah, this thing is a fun game but it wouldn't make for a fun game to watch. A lot of Alucard going up like 4 flights of stairs with nothing there and long hallways also similiarly bare, with not much in the way of a challenge. And of course the moments vinny would gets lost in won't lend themselves to a good watch.

I'm trying to not use a guide, just bought a bunch of shit from the librarian like DRACULA'S MAP and Dark Metamorphosis and can turn into a wolf which only seem to be good for barking and making long jumps. just found a shortcut teleporter thing too so i'm killing it over here.

After hearing Brad & Vinny praise the game and watching a couple of GBE Playdates, I've decided to buy Witcher 3. I've never played the other games, but it looks like I could get really into it. I'm not making a mistake, am I?

depends on how you feel about the combat and the weird leveling system in the game, which is even weird by the witcher's standards. It's a fun ride though, my goty for 2015 easily.

After hearing Brad & Vinny praise the game and watching a couple of GBE Playdates, I've decided to buy Witcher 3. I've never played the other games, but it looks like I could get really into it. I'm not making a mistake, am I?

jaina

Nope, I'm the one making a mistake here (waiting until I've played 1&2).

I'm trying to not use a guide, just bought a bunch of shit from the librarian like DRACULA'S MAP and Dark Metamorphosis and can turn into a wolf which only seem to be good for barking and making long jumps. just found a shortcut teleporter thing too so i'm killing it over here.

if memory serves the wolf morph opens up like two whole shortcuts or something

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Saying "You are capable of rape" is always fucked up, no matter the context. She even says the guys how treat her like a meat online are assholes and dumb and might not even know what they are doing is sexual harassment. Rapists are not assholes or dumb guys and thats the end of that, it undermines the issue. They are people with problems that need help.

What the fresh hell...

Bacon

Of course not, it's an excellent game. Prepare for a long ass game though for real

There is where I'm coming from. Over the years I've heard that so many genres were dead; not just the ones you've mentioned, but stuff like XCOM-esque turn based tactics (The Bureau was started with assumption that the old genre was outdated); pre-XBLA and the Wii it was common sense that 2D platformers were dead and buried forever outside of handhelds, which were moving into 3D anyway; for a long time pre-SF4, 2D fighters were considered to be the realm of niche hardcore audiences hustling around CRTs. And adventure games? Lolllll who wants to walk around pick up stuff and talk to people, Gabriel Knight 3 killed that shit lol genre outdated

The list goes on. It feels like every genre or style has been declared dead and then had a resurgence either in rereleases or in indie spiritual sequels or modernized games that tweak the formula just enough, or whatever. I'm just not ready to write off any style with, "But is it enough in (current year)?," unless you're solely talking about mass marketability.
Yeah, this is definitely true. Genres can't really go out of style. There's nothing really "dated" about the inherent concept of a rail shooter. They're still fun. I still play Star Fox 64 and Sin & Punishment 2. Both games play great, both games are super rad.

I think what's getting confused for the Bomb crew with Star Fox Zero is the difference between a concept being bad and the execution being bad. It sounds like in Zero that a poor control scheme, boring levels, and off pacing (with its separate vehicle sections feeling too short or unexciting) ruin the experience. But that's all in execution, not conception. Star Fox Zero can be a bad or mediocre rail shooter without invalidating the concept of the rail shooter. We need only turn to its genre contemporaries to see that you can make fun, exciting games within it.

The review fails to understand that difference. It sees poor execution on the rail shooter genre and takes it to mean the rail shooter genre is inherently poor. And that's just, well, logically flawed and really disappointing. Rail shooters in 2016 are as rad as ever. We just haven't had a good one in a hot minute.

Very good read, would be nice for the IGDA and probably the broader, non-indie game development community to use this as a tipping point.

Pipe dream.
Yeah, this is definitely true. Genres can't really go out of style. There's nothing really "dated" about the inherent concept of a rail shooter. They're still fun. I still play Star Fox 64 and Sin & Punishment 2. Both games play great, both games are super rad.

I think what's getting confused for the Bomb crew with Star Fox Zero is the difference between a concept being bad and the execution being bad. It sounds like in Zero that a poor control scheme, boring levels, and off pacing (with its separate vehicle sections feeling too short or unexciting) ruin the experience. But that's all in execution, not conception. Star Fox Zero can be a bad or mediocre rail shooter without invalidating the concept of the rail shooter. We need only turn to its genre contemporaries to see that you can make fun, exciting games within it.

The review fails to understand that difference. It sees poor execution on the rail shooter genre and takes it to mean the rail shooter genre is inherently poor. And that's just, well, logically flawed and really disappointing. Rail shooters in 2016 are as rad as ever. We just haven't had a good one in a hot minute.
So in 2002, you don't think the reviewer would have given it a different score?
That the critical reception would have been the same because it's a poor instance of a rail shooter rather than rail shooters being less appealing / tolerable in 2016?

repeater

Reading Dan's Star Fox review made me want to pick up the much cheaper Star Fox 64 3D. I remember how cool the original SNES Star Fox (or Star Wing, as it was inexplicably called here in darkest Europe) was as a kid, but never touched anything from the series after that.

The Ori Def Edition update is finally coming to steam next week. Might finally give that game a whirl

Reading Dan's Star Fox review made me want to pick up the much cheaper Star Fox 64 3D. I remember how cool the original SNES Star Fox (or Star Wing, as it was inexplicably called here in darkest Europe) was as a kid, but never touched anything from the series after that.

it's a great game but be warned: it's like +3 hours long even if you go back and do all the branching paths.

repeater

it's a great game but be warned: it's like +3 hours long even if you go back and do all the branching paths.
Thanks, yeah, so I've heard but given that that's what people are saying about Zero too and that 64 3D is now in the Nintendo Selects range (at least here in Europe?), the latter seems like a much better choice to get that Fox itch scratched .

Of course not, it's an excellent game. Prepare for a long ass game though for real

Good! That's what I'm looking for in a game. I have a few multiplayer experiences that I play on a regular basis, and I'm almost done replaying Grim Fandango, so I was looking for something that I could deep dive into.

Megasoum

Banned
I.... Don't get Soda Drinker Pro.

There's old XB Indy Channel games that were tons better than that. It's not like it's funny or anything.

I feel like the only reason Microsoft agreed to put it on XB1 is it's because it has Kinect support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom