• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
I know people shat on Need for Speed Shift when it came out, but I feel like that's the only game I've played that reaaaally got the roar of a car engine down. The cars in that game just sound savage.

Slightly Mad Studios are fucking car sound wizards. Both NFS Shift 1 and 2 and Project CARS have incredible sound.

I was legit scared during some of the night races in Shift 2

Good! That's what I'm looking for in a game. I have a few multiplayer experiences that I play on a regular basis, and I'm almost done replaying Grim Fandango, so I was looking for something that I could deep dive into.

Witcher 3 is definitely a good game for that, the main quest alone is like 60 hours.

I.... Don't get Soda Drinker Pro.

There's old XB Indy Channel games that were tons better than that. It's not like it's funny or anything.

I feel like the only reason Microsoft agreed to put it on XB1 is it's because it has Kinect support.

I bet you don't like aspartame either

Good! That's what I'm looking for in a game. I have a few multiplayer experiences that I play on a regular basis, and I'm almost done replaying Grim Fandango, so I was looking for something that I could deep dive into.

You chose wisely! That's a game you can really sink your teeth into, even if you stray far from the main questline. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

ArjanN

Really not defending or specifically talking about Star Fox Zero, peeps. I'm talking about the crew's tendency to disregard things based on them being "out of touch" or "outdated," which are certainly valid observations/criticisms, but a very reductive statement re: a game's quality. All reviews are going to touch base with consumer expectations; that's expected from the traditional format. I just think it's not a very interesting way to discuss games.

Yeah, I kind of agree, I think slightly too often it seems to just equate to "I don't care about this game, therefore this is played out."

And for the record the new Star Fox never looked all that appealing to me.

Yeah, I kind of agree, I think slightly too often it seems to just equate to "I don't care about this game, therefore this is played out."

And for the record the new Star Fox never looked all that appealing to me.

Yeah, it's usually just someone going "somebody making X game in year X is fucking crazy to me," which, again, is a valid thing to say. It's also not especially generative or thoughtful. I mean, it's funny, but it leads to shit like Jeff saying there's never actually been a good Sonic game. Historical context is certainly a valuable tool for discussion, but more often than not, they use it to indicate a video game they don't like was a "time and place" thing with no actual merit. Again, don't get me wrong, Jeff dunking on Yoshi's Island and Sonic and Sunshine is fucking hilarious. But they're honestly very poorly articulated opinions. Hearing them talk about 3D Marios is especially painful.

Santar

I'm trying to find the Injustice launch stream on the site but it doesn't seem to be anywhere?
Did I just dream up that they even had a launch stream for that game? I could've swear I watched it when the game came out.
All I can find is a TNT of the game, maybe that was what I was watching?
Does anybody else remember a Injustice Launch stream?

You're supposed to play these games over and over again.

i mean you could play any game repeatedly if you wanted to. that doesn't change the fact that it's a 2-3 hour experience though.

I'm just letting someone who is going to drop some decent cash on the game know in advance what to expect. As someone who doesn't have the time to really play something more than once I always want to know how long a campaign is before paying the man. Replayability is meaningless to me because i almost never replay a game especially with my big ass backlog

I'm trying to find the Injustice launch stream on the site but it doesn't seem to be anywhere?
Did I just dream up that they even had a launch stream for that game? I could've swear I watched it when the game came out.
All I can find is a TNT of the game, maybe that was what I was watching?
Does anybody else remember a Injustice Launch stream?

they just had a TNT where Jeff beat everyone with the flash

Very good read, would be nice for the IGDA and probably the broader, non-indie game development community to use this as a tipping point.

Pipe dream.

So in 2002, you don't think the reviewer would have given it a different score?
That the critical reception would have been the same because it's a poor instance of a rail shooter rather than rail shooters being less appealing / tolerable in 2016?
The things that make Star Fox Zero especially bad are things that wouldn't happen in 2002, so it's a hard question to answer. I think it would review better, but I think most of that is due to the necessary removal of the GamePad gimmick and redesigning of the game around said removal. Then again, I think if they had opted out of the GamePad gimmi8ck altogether the game would also be reviewing better in 2016. That makes this question impossible to answer: the thing that brings down every aspect of SFZ is its adherence to a gimmick that only exists in the modern day. You remove that, the game has to be redesigned around its removal and you end up with possibly a better game, regardless of release date.

i mean you could play any game repeatedly if you wanted to. that doesn't change the fact that it's a 2-3 hour experience though.

I'm just letting someone who is going to drop some decent cash on the game know in advance what to expect. As someone who doesn't have the time to really play something more than once I always want to know how long a campaign is before paying the man. Replayability is meaningless to me because i almost never replay a game especially with my big ass backlog

It's an arcade-style series. It always has been. The point is playing it over and over again. That's part of the value. This seems like a fundamental misunderstanding that people like Jeff have when they slam 64 for only being 45 minutes long and complain about branching paths. That's the point of the game. If someone doesn't want that, then don't buy it, but don't act like it's some shortcoming of the design.

It's an arcade-style series. It always has been. The point is playing it over and over again. That's part of the value. This seems like a fundamental misunderstanding that people like Jeff have when they slam 64 for only being 45 minutes long and complain about branching paths. That's the point of the game. If someone doesn't want that, then don't buy it, but don't act like it's some shortcoming of the design.

i don't think the design is poor but the price is. If you're trying to sell an arcade game for full retail price in 2016 then don't fault people when they turn their noses at it. Game should've been a $15-20 downloadable if it wanted to avoid the mix reception its getting

like ive said elsewhere, you could get away with that with SF64 because of the novelty of the whole thing but even SF643D got dinged for its length when it was released. Expectations have changed for what constitutes a full retail priced experience

I'm talking about Star Fox 64, which that guy wanted to buy. It's like a budget title in EU.
And he should know that there's a possibility that he might just get 3 hours out of it, right? Maybe he'll love it and get more from it but i don't think letting someone know this is a bad thing. And i like SF643D, i have it and would recommend it to anyone interested in star fox BUT they should know that it could be a very quick ride.

i don't think the design is poor but the price is. If you're trying to sell an arcade game for full retail price in 2016 then don't fault people when they turn their noses at it. Game should've been a $15-20 downloadable if it wanted to avoid the tepid reception its getting

I'm talking about Star Fox 64, which that guy wanted to buy. It's like a budget title in EU.

yami4ct

Reading the Review thread, Dan sure stepped in it with the Star Fox review, huh?

Everything I've seen of the game has basically worried me in the same way he's complained about it. The motion controls were obviously a concern, but the biggest issue is the design of that game feels trapped in '97. It's just not something you can throw in a box for $60 in 2016. You have to give more, and Guard certainly doesn't make the difference up.

Reading the Review thread, Dan sure stepped in it with the Star Fox review, huh?

Everything I've seen of the game has basically worried me in the same way he's complained about it. The motion controls were obviously a concern, but the biggest issue is the design of that game feels trapped in '97. It's just not something you can throw in a box for $60 in 2016. You have to give more, and Guard certainly doesn't make the difference up.

Apparently Polygon is refusing to review it because the reviewer doesn't wanna finish it?

Dunno if it's true..

I know it's important to them, especially since they were the ones to break the news, but this Neo talk on the bombcast is already putting me to sleep after like 10 minutes.

yami4ct

Apparently Polygon is refusing to review it because the reviewer doesn't wanna finish it?

Dunno if it's true..

It's an Arthur article. As much as he might be right, he's everything wrong with Polygon channeled into one human. It's not surprising that's the direction he'd go.

Dineren

Banned
Oddly enough, his review actually put it on my radar. The price is too high, but I'm kind of in the mood for more Star Fox 64 after the 3ds version.

Seems like Polygon is the thing people are getting upset at this time.

Justin McElroy being one of the funniest people on the planet almost makes up for the immense stupidity of refusing to review a game because he was unable to find a giant red x on a map. Almost.

If people's opinions on a game's quality was actually a factor in whether I like them or not, I probably would have unsubbed from Giant Bomb and stopped posting in this thread a long time ago.

If people's opinions on a game's quality was actually a factor in whether I like them or not, I probably would have unsubbed from Giant Bomb and stopped posting in this thread a long time ago.

I obsessively remember everything they say that I strongly disagree with and use it to weigh the worth of their recommendations/condemnations, but your way sounds okay, too.

so the new Battlefield is rumored to be a steampunk alt history WWI game?

ehhhh okay i guess. I enjoyed this generation's bigger releases not looking like giant brown messes but i knew this era of colors would end eventually

Robaperas

There's a funny gamefaqs Star Fox thread about Dan's review on the board for that game.

Huh, I don't know what I expected to read, but it's even worse than what I imagined.

HIc9b0s.gif

yami4ct

so the new Battlefield is rumored to be a steampunk alt history WWI game?

ehhhh okay i guess. I enjoyed this generation's bigger releases not looking like giant brown messes but i knew this era of colors would end eventually

That actually sounds like a FPS I might be interested in.

Now watch them take that concept and leach away any sort of charm or character that might come with it.

Huh, I don't know what I expected to read, but it's even worse than what I imagined.

Someone in there singled out Alex as an 'SJW'. Out of all the crew you could pick, it's really funny to see them say Alex. All of them have made arguments those kinds of people would ascribe that label to, so I'd love to know what specifically Alex did to rile that one up.

That actually sounds like a FPS I might be interested in.

Now watch them take that concept and leach away any sort of charm or character that might come with it.

There was a time when it seemed like Battlefield was going to have some character, then they stopped making Bad Company games.

yami4ct

We call that "Giving it the EA treatment."

I'd say modern Ubi is probably worse about that. Outside of Far Cry, they seem desperate to make cool concepts boring. They're trying their best to spoil Far Cry as well.

EA just doesn't try interesting things in the first place all that often.

Myggen

Someone in there singled out Alex as an 'SJW'. Out of all the crew you could pick, it's really funny to see them say Alex. All of them have made arguments those kinds of people would ascribe that label to, so I'd love to know what specifically Alex did to rile that one up.

I thought Austin was the resident 'SJW'. This is really confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom