• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Dark Souls over Demon's Souls but Demon's Souls has one of the best areas in the series (Tower Of Latria) and Dark Souls has the worst (Lost Izalith). Overall, though I prefered the world of Dark Souls, especially with the DLC area added and Dark Souls feels a little better to play.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I should really play Demon's souls sometime soon.

you should

Did you ever watch brad's playthrough? I watched some of the original quick look again last night and it's fun to hear their take on it. Even at the time I couldn't disagree more with Jeff's negative impressions of it. The quick look totally sold me on importing a copy before it's eu release.

At this point it is so hard to not like the Beastcast over the Bombcast. The Beastcast guys just seem to be having so much fun the whole time they're recording.

you should

Did you ever watch brad's playthrough? I watched some of the original quick look again last night and it's fun to hear their take on it. Even at the time I couldn't disagree more with Jeff's negative impressions of it. The quick look totally sold me on importing a copy before it's eu release.
Nah I held off as I wanted to play it for myself first but I'm looking forward to getting around to both the game and the playthrough.
my copy of ratchet & clank is arriving today weeeeeee
Got mine yesterday and I'm enjoying it way more than I expected to, especially after not being super into the last one.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh.

I flip from episode to episode. Love both, can't say that either holds superior.

I'd say that they can go overboard sometimes with the fun, as dumb as that sounds. Vinny just has such a strong presence that if you don't have an equally strong personality like Jeff and Ryan in the past he just sweeps things along in such an uncontrollable pace. That maelstrom is fun, but if not tempered it can get a bit much.

you should

One of the TGS podcasts from 2008 has Ryan mention Demon's Souls briefly and it made me chuckle. I think he just says "That looked like a bad game" and compares it to Diablo aesthetically.

Eh.

I flip from episode to episode. Love both, can't say that either holds superior.

I'd say that they can go overboard sometimes with the fun, as dumb as that sounds. Vinny just has such a strong presence that if you don't have an equally strong personality like Jeff and Ryan in the past he just sweeps things along in such an uncontrollable pace. That maelstrom is fun, but if not tempered it can get a bit much.

Yeah, I can definitely get that. I also just feel like they do a better job with conversation. Almost everyone gets involved in pretty much every topic. Even if it's just to ask questions or to move things along they all get involved in some way. It's not always great, I get bored of their conversations sometimes with how in depth they go, but overall I just like how much of an open discussion they usually have.

Kelas

Nah I held off as I wanted to play it for myself first but I'm looking forward to getting around to both the game and the playthrough.

Ah good. It'll be a much better experience going in with as little prior info as possible.

So we've got Brad's stream at 1, Ryckert v. Klepek at 2 (not streamed), ANOTHER stream at 5, and then the GB PAX Panel at 7:30? PLUS content through Wednesday?

AWJy0ZcCJmILe.gif

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I can definitely get that. I also just feel like they do a better job with conversation. Almost everyone gets involved in pretty much every topic. Even if it's just to ask questions or to move things along they all get involved in some way. It's not always great, I get bored of their conversations sometimes with how in depth they go, but overall I just like how much of an open discussion they usually have.

Oh agreed on the conversations part, sometimes it feels like only jeff and brad has remained in the room. Love jeff though, and to me he's still the funniest guy in the crew.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm really tempted by Ratchet and Clank...

I never played any of the games in the franchise but 50$ is a lot of money considering that Uncharted and Overwatch are coming out soon...

On the other hand I made my final payment on my student load yesterday so....yeah... Tempting.

I guess I could buy it physical and resell it afterward.

Hmmm I think I don't pay any taxes if I buy it directly on PSN so it's cheaper.

Speaking of The Matrix, if you go back to that movie and watch the ending. That ending scene with Neo on the phone is just so god damned good and it just gets sooo fucked over by the sequel. Just go watch that scene again, it's so damn good.

you should

well, to be fair to everyone on that QL Demon's was an incredibly bizarre thing and it was coming from From, best known for their Armored Core games and sometimes Tenchu. Oh, and Chromehounds.

the pessimism wasn't unwarranted.

It was interesting to listen to the podcasts at the times though just to here Vinny continue to bang his head against Demon's because he knows there's something to it. Really, the surprising thing isn't that jeff dismisses these games but that he continues to try to like them, like with Bloodborne. Good on him for opening himself up to them

Tubobutts

So I'm playing Dark Souls 2 as my first ever Souls game, and I love it! The years of watching other people play and talk about it really paid off because I got the hang of it pretty quickly and just beat my first Giant today. Thanks Breaking Bradborne and Load Our Last Souls! I'm really digging it, shouldn't have waited this long to play one for myself.
I'm doing the same thing as you. I only played a little bit of Dark Souls before I couldn't use my computer again and I didn't like Bloodborne, but I'm really enjoying Scholar of the First Sin. I kind of want to just go to Dark Souls 3 though if people think that's even better.

And also I've lost all respect for Jason now and he deserves what Dan does to him.

Megasoum

Banned
Speaking of The Matrix, if you go back to that movie and watch the ending. That ending scene with Neo on the phone is just so god damned good and it just gets sooo fucked over by the sequel. Just go watch that scene again, it's so damn good.

I mean... I agree that the last scene is fucking great but you can easily say that the whole movie gets fucked by its two sequels.

I mean... I agree that the last scene is fucking great but you can easily say that the whole movie gets fucked by its two sequels.

Yeah, it's just that entire conversation just gets ignored in the other movies. It's like it never happens. It just becomes more frustrating and annoying when going back and hearing Neo talk about him feeling them and coming after them and showing everyone what is going on and then seeing the next movie and it's like "Neh, let's go hang out in the real world."

Antiwhippy

Oh wow, I didn't know that from software did tenchu.

Tenchu is pretty dope.

Also, got a kobo aura h2o recently which is also pretty dope.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah, it's just that entire conversation just gets ignored in the other movies. It's like it never happens. It just becomes more frustrating and annoying when going back and hearing Neo talk about him feeling them and coming after them and showing everyone what is going on and then seeing the next movie and it's like "Neh, let's go hang out in the real world."

Man... All that real world stuff in the sequels was such a big fucking bummer ugh.

Also, that 10min long rave scene...

Mainly those last two movies just made me forget how good the first one was but also just how bad ass the last scene was. Everyone remembers Neo flies away but the whole time when he's on the phone is just him being a bad ass and basically waging war. It's just easy to forget when you look at just how shitty those other movies are.

Yeah, the transition from "fuck yeah, we have THE ONE and we're coming after you now" to "okay, maybe not, we're still doing the same shit and then raving all night" just absolutely killed that series' momentum. The second movie isn't bad and actually has some incredible action scenes, but it really lowered my interest in the greater narrative.

hey if you want to like the matrix that's fine. There's no denying that it's an influential film. But a film can be influential and still not be very good.

The martial arts stuff looks awful and the dystopian cyberpunk apocalypse stuff is okay until they just fuck it completely up in the sequels. But even in the first film it's okay, and the first film at is best is also just that: okay.

Goddamn, did jeff and dan just sit down and spent a whole day recording quick looks before they went to pax?

I'm hoping they fit in a Demo Derby or Game Tapes to throw up at some point.

hey if you want to like the matrix that's fine. There's no denying that it's an influential film. But a film can be influential and still not be very good.

The martial arts stuff looks awful and the dystopian cyberpunk apocalypse stuff is okay until they just fuck it completely up in the sequels. But even in the first film it's okay, and the first film at is best is also just that: okay.

If the argument is whether it holds up or not than sure, but I feel like most complaints toward it would to be too colored by time. Now it's not really a good movie at all, but if I look at it at its time it was a pretty great movie. Sure it's not a classic that will stand the test of time, but I feel like it's possible to be good at a time and be bad now.

Tubobutts

The only Matrix movie I saw in theaters was the second one. I think. Did the second one have sex stuff that would have made me uncomfortable seeing it with my dad and sister? Cause that's the one I watched.

Kelas

well, to be fair to everyone on that QL Demon's was an incredibly bizarre thing and it was coming from From, best known for their Armored Core games and sometimes Tenchu. Oh, and Chromehounds.

the pessimism wasn't unwarranted.

Jeff is the only one being pessimistic about it in the quick look. I don't think he uses their previous titles as criticism; he doesn't like the controls or the idea of sending you back to the start when you die. Vinny and Dave are pretty into it.

The only Matrix movie I saw in theaters was the second one. I think. Did the second one have sex stuff that would have made me uncomfortable seeing it with my dad and sister? Cause that's the one I watched.

Yeah, there's an early scene in the second one with neo and trinity. I don't remember it being particularly graphic or anything. It's also the only one I saw in theaters.

Yeah, the Maravingian made some chick horny or something, it's been a while since I've seen it but it was real dumb.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom