• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

It sure looks silly, but at least they're trying something. Everyone else would probably be fine to leave gamepad design the exact same for the next 20 years. Even when I use one these days, I kinda hate standard dual analogue, 4-shoulder-button controllers. They feel so imprecise and clunky to me.

This thing absolutely needs to get haptic right to work. If it doesn't, it's a complete flop. Haptic has shown that it has some promise with things like the MacBook trackpad. That thing is indistinguishable from a hinged button version. The question is simulating actual buttons.

Assuming they can simulate actual buttons as well as a mac trackpad, a fully customizable gamepad is a really neat thing. I also love the idea of wheel shoulder buttons.

It's always hilarious to see people calling a thing the worst thing ever with barely an idea how it'll work or without even touching it.

This is definitely a controller that I'll need to get hands on to really judge. If nintendo gets haptic right, they might actually have something really cool. We'll see. I'm not going to call it brilliant or terrible. It's just interesting right now.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if that was not the final casing.

It's very pretty, at least. It looks like a Sony device.

The problem is we have no idea how it works or why they thought it didn't need traditional face buttons, so of course people will assume the worst and think it's a terrible nightmare engine. This is why companies don't like leaks. Leaks can create very damaging narratives.

But, you know, this wouldn't be a problem if they announced the thing already and explained it.

yami4ct

It's very pretty, at least. It looks like a Sony device.

The problem is we have no idea how it works or why they thought it didn't need traditional face buttons, so of course people will assume the worst and think it's a terrible nightmare engine. This is why companies don't like leaks. Leaks can create very damaging narratives.

But, you know, this wouldn't be a problem if they announced the thing already and explained it.

Yep. The Nintendo ninjas are going to murder these people if they find them out. Good luck ever getting a dev kit again, I hope it was worth it!

I remember when the iPhone 4 was leaked and people absolutely tore it to pieces. After it came out, it was (and still is in some circles) as the best iPhone design. It's literally impossible to judge tech by leaks. At this point, I still don't expect any NX news prior to E3, but I'm super interested to hear more. I wish Nintendo would come out and start explaining shit, but Japanese companies are notoriously slow to act.

Maybe the actual controller part detaches from the outer housing so you can slot it into multiple peripherals? That way some games could hold it portrait-style like a remote or something.

yami4ct

Maybe the actual controller part detaches from the outer housing so you can slot it into multiple peripherals? That way some games could hold it portrait-style like a remote or something.

Haptic buttons have been confirmed by pretty much every leak that's come about the thing. It's safe to say that, for this primary controller at lest, that's the direction they're looking. The idea is the controller would be completely customizable. Playing a NES game, you'd have a replica of the NES gamepad. A SNES game? It magically morphs to a SNES pad. Individual games can add as many or few buttons as they need and users are completely free to adjust the position to their individual comfort.

This relies on haptic being ready, though. I kinda doubt Nintendo would bet all on it if it weren't, but we don't know.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nintendo really needs to get out of hardware. I wonder how long that Wii cash will last. Will the Amiibo bubble burst soon?

Nintendo really needs to get out of hardware. I wonder how long that Wii cash will last. Will the Amiibo bubble burst soon?

You have to realize that these machines are meant to be sold to parents for their kids

and guess what? A kid who was born when the first iphone launched (2007) has likely grown up with portable gaming that has zero buttons between the iphones and the ipads they've had in their hands

So while us folks look at that and go WHERE ARE THE BUTTONS, some parents are going to look at this and think it's perfectly fine for billy, who plays angry birds on their ipad mini all day

NX controller seems like another badly thought out Nintendo gimmick which will probably just be used to show the mini map in 90% of games.

I assume they will also be selling a standard / pro controller for it as well though so western 3rd parties have something to work with though.

I wonder if they can do Wii U BC on NX and if the WIi U gamepad can sync to it

StoveOven

Banned
You have to realize that these machines are meant to be sold to parents for their kids

and guess what? A kid who was born when the first iphone launched (2007) has likely grown up with portable gaming that has zero buttons between the iphones and the ipads they've had in their hands

So while us folks look at that and go WHERE ARE THE BUTTONS, some parents are going to look at this and think it's perfectly fine for billy, who plays angry birds on their ipad mini all day

But why would Billy want this when he can just play Angry Birds on his ipad mini? Of course, we'll see if Nintendo has an answer to that question, but I kind of doubt they do.

Zaph

I feel like I'm getting trolled by Nintendo. The DS Lite has been my secondary platform for nearly 10 years, and while the dual screens are great, I've been waiting for a single screen focused portable experience.

And then they take away the face buttons.

But why would Billy want this when he can just play Angry Birds on his ipad mini? Of course, we'll see if Nintendo has an answer to that question, but I kind of doubt they do.

i dunno, but nintendo might still be under the misguided belief that apple is eating their lunch, which is likely why we got basically a tablet with buttons for the WiiU in the first place

the nintendo brand still carries some weight with a generation of parents, perhaps they fear that if they lose those parents to apple now then that their fate is sealed

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
NX controller seems like another badly thought out Nintendo gimmick which will probably just be used to show the mini map in 90% of games.

I assume they will also be selling a standard / pro controller for it as well though so western 3rd parties have something to work with though
I see a lot of people like you thinking it's pretty much a WiiU controller, but to me it looks totally like a handheld.

edit: Ok, one of the updates now mentions it. That would be super weird to me.

I feel like I'm getting trolled by Nintendo. The DS Lite has been my secondary platform for nearly 10 years, and while the dual screens are great, I've been waiting for a single screen focused portable experience.

And then they take away the face buttons.

I'm almost certain that the console will be backwards compatible to previous controllers so it isn't really an issue, it is damn interesting though.

StoveOven

Banned
i dunno, but nintendo might still be under the misguided belief that apple is eating their lunch, which is likely why we got basically a tablet with buttons for the WiiU in the first place

the nintendo brand still carries some weight with a generation of parents, perhaps they fear that if they lose those parents to apple now then that their fate is sealed

Sure. I'm with you as long as we can both agree that that belief is misguided.

If Nintendo saw the popularity of mobile games and thought "People must love these because they don't have buttons", then Nintendo is far stupider than I ever gave them credit for.

yami4ct

I see a lot of people like you thinking it's pretty much a WiiU controller, but to me it looks totally like a handheld.

It looks like a handheld, but leaker says it's the console controller. I think it's a safe bet the handheld will be dual screen again to match this form factor if they're planning any cross compatibility whatsoever. Etrian Odyssey continues easily to another generation!

It seems like a fair bet this will support most of the Nintendo gamepads that have been released. I fully expect Pro Controller support and Wii remote support for full backwards compatibility. There's almost no reason not to even if Wii BC is just through VC. Pro Controller support will probably be like Wii U and usable on most games most people want to play, so if you don't like this thing, you'll be covered.

DetectiveGaf seems fairly certain this leak is coming out of Massive. Lol Ubisoft.

Zaph

I'm almost certain that most of their controllers will be backwards compatible so it isn't really an issue, it is damn interesting though.

Right, but, and correct me if I'm out of the loop, isn't the rumoured concept of the NX that the controller will be a self-contained portable platform in its own right?

yami4ct

Right, but, and correct me if I'm out of the loop, isn't the rumoured concept of the NX that the controller will be a self-contained portable platform in its own right?

Nope. Iwata ruled out Hybrid long ago. It's some sort of platform with a shared backend. Whether that means some cross compatibility, easy porting or just a unified UI and account we don't know.

PG6OZLG.png

I'm including the 3DS in the equation, but point taken.

the 3DS did well, though, so long as you ignore the first year or so. It just didn't do DS levels of amazing, but that might be due to mobile gaming becoming a thing during its generation

If i was nintendo, i'd honestly be pretty confused as to what to do.

The PS4 seems to be doing fine but there's another one coming? Is there even a market for more than one console to do really well when even microsoft seems to be taking steps to shore up their PC engagement?

Or should we concern ourselves with VR?

What about Apple and its mobile market, could we take back some of the marketshare that they've earned?....

You couldn't pay me enough to be part of nintendo's R&D right now because that job seems ulcer inducing

yami4ct

I would never have anything in the shot that could pinpoint my location. Why would you have your Swedish keyboard there? Amateures!

If you're dumb enough to break an NDA, especially one as massive as a new console, you're dumb enough to get caught.

Tubobutts

Even if it's real, they'll probably let you use a pro controller or make a new one with all the buttons you could want.

I still don't like how it looks.

yami4ct

?

Never believed Nintendo would lose so many face buttons. At least the shoulder wheels? are still there and maybe the sticks themselves. Excited to try it.

Sticks seem to be a hybrid of traditional sticks and the circle pad. Shoulder wheels have been confirmed by every leak, so they are a safe bet (and an interesting innovation).

Someone pointed out that Nintendo has a patent on interchangeable controls on a handheld device. I could easily see that left stick coming out to be replaced with a D-Pad. Gives you the D-Pad control when you need it. Haptic buttons would be fine for weapon switching and other things that are put on the D-Pad as a secondary set of buttons to the stick.

I see what you did there

I didn't intend to do it at first, but then I saw it just as I was going to post and had to leave it in. Too good an opportunity to pass up.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think it's the sticks that make it look so handheldy to me. I don't think they would have a reason to keep them so small for a home console controller.

Also, pouring one out for that poor soul at Massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom