• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually just started watching the Simpsons (usually in the 90-96 era) since it's on FXX. I've never seen this show before, I'm sure you guys don't need me to tell you it's really good.

Wow, crazy to think someone not having seen it.

If you're looking for a podcast there is Talking Simpsons that is going through the show chronologically and they talk about a lot of behind the scenes stuff and what was going on at the time. I think they're just a little into the third season right now.

I actually just started watching the Simpsons (usually in the 90-96 era) since it's on FXX. I've never seen this show before, I'm sure you guys don't need me to tell you it's really good.

it is but the FXX versions are cropped for widescreen because they think people cant handle 4:3.

I dunno if they still edit stuff out of the show to make more time for commercials like they did with the simpsons when it was in syndication but that would be shitty too.

but yeah seasons 2-9ish are top tier simpsons and you'll be surprised how often its referenced once you give it a watch.

So long dental plan!

lisa needs braces

Wow, crazy to think someone not having seen it.

I had an extremely sheltered television life when I was a kid. Five channels I could watch while unsupervised: Animal Planet, Discovery, PBS, Nick, and Cartoon Network. Don't know why, the Simpsons is actually a pretty decent show, more or less family friendly. I guess maybe my mother was worried I'd emulate Bart or something.

it is but the FXX versions are cropped for widescreen because they think people cant handle 4:3.

Uh, I think it depends? I know I've seen a bunch of 4:3 episodes.

That's the thing that influenced Family Guy, right?

Yes! Holy shit I never knew how much Family Guy just rips off and does worse!

That's the thing that influenced Family Guy, right?

post-22522-Brittany-Big-Brother-cringe-gi-RjIc.gif

the simpsons jumped the shark for me with the infamous Mr Skinner episode in the beginning of season 9. Even still, though, season 9 has enough bangers in it that I recommend giving it a go in spite of it having some out and out shit episodes. Just go into it knowing that it has a rough patch here and there so that expectations are in check

Surely a BradDan QL, right?

hah, vita QLs. that's a laugh

the simpsons jumped the shark for me with the infamous Mr Skinner episode in the beginning of season 9. Even still, though, season 9 has enough bangers in it that I recommend giving it a go in spite of it having some out and out shit episodes. Just go into it knowing that it has a rough patch here and there so that expectations are in check

I've always heard people considering the Grimes episode as the jumping the shark episode, but I will contend it has some of the best Homer quotes of the entire series.

Patryn

I think the argument I've mostly heard is that it's not bad it's just that it's the turning point. After that Homer is just full dumb and it never turns back.

I'd kind of agree with this. While the show always had an air of "cartoonishness" (for lack of a better word), after that episode it loses most of the sense of reality that would occasionally permeate the show.

The characters became little more than stereotypes, basically.

However, this isn't really something unique to The Simpsons. Most popular shows fall into this trap. Look at Friends for instance, and compare some of the nuances that the characters had circa Seasons 2-3 to the broad caricatures they were in the final season.

Jintor

We need a Hot Soup and Me too vs Hakomne Miso.

i forgot how much i cracked up at that

dan is goofy enough that i can never quite tell when he's genuinely ignorant about something and when he's just pretending to be ignorant to play into his persona. some might say that fact reflects poorly on dan, but man, as long as he's having fun i guess

i'm fairly certain if he can hold the entirity of wwe wrestling canon in his brain, he could remember the name hatsune miku tho

I need to find a place to watch Simpsons a lot

FX app if you have a cable log in or know someone who you can borrow. Every episode streaming.

guys I wanna play Overwatch

Same, mad I haven't made it into a beta yet.

I'd kind of agree with this. While the show always had an air of "cartoonishness" (for lack of a better word), after that episode it loses most of the sense of reality that would occasionally permeate the show.

However, this isn't really something unique to The Simpsons. Most popular shows fall into this trap. Look at Friends for instance, and compare some of the nuances that the characters had circa Seasons 2-3 to the broad caricatures they were in the final season.

Yeah, in the early days they always had huge scenes of levity and heart. You get that scene in season two in the episode Lisa's Substitue with Dustin Hoffman where she has a crush and she ends up hating her dad. Homer goes up and acts like a monkey and its one of just the sweetest scenes. After season 9 or so Homer is just an idiot that occasionally is made to feel bad.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
i forgot how much i cracked up at that

dan is goofy enough that i can never quite tell when he's genuinely ignorant about something and when he's just pretending to be ignorant to play into his persona. some might say that fact reflects poorly on dan, but man, as long as he's having fun i guess

i'm fairly certain if he can hold the entirity of wwe wrestling canon in his brain, he could remember the name hatsune miku tho

I dunno, I find his malaproper ways hilarious.

Like that time where he talked about the curse of Naxter Dexter.

the thing with the Grimes episode that I disagree with it being the jumping the shark moment is that it's still funny and entertaining. And of course the Grimes episode only works if you go out of your way to make homer looks like a complete idiot so i didn't mind the exaggeration for effect.

The Principal and the Pauper is not only a bad episode but it also fucks up a great character for no reason whatsoever and is considered to be such a bad episode that even some of the writers wont speak of it

Other figures associated with The Simpsons have publicly criticized the episode. In April 2001, in an interview, Harry Shearer, the voice of Principal Skinner, recalled that after reading the script, he told the writers, "That's so wrong. You're taking something that an audience has built eight years or nine years of investment in and just tossed it in the trash can for no good reason, for a story we've done before with other characters. It's so arbitrary and gratuitous, and it's disrespectful to the audience."

In December 2006, in an interview, Shearer added, "Now, [the writers] refuse to talk about it. They realize it was a horrible mistake. They never mention it. It's like they're punishing [the audience] for paying attention."In the introduction to the ninth season DVD boxset, series creator Matt Groening describes "The Principal and the Pauper" as "one of [his] least favorite episodes." He also called the episode "a mistake" in an interview with Rolling Stone.

I mean it was just fuckery in its purest form

pizzacat

Banned
I think the argument I've mostly heard is that it's not bad it's just that it's the turning point. After that Homer is just full dumb and it never turns back.
You guys don't get it, grimes didn't die. He's in a coma, we're in the coma with him, watching his version of homer

Fuck principle and he pauper tho

Only because it was around the time of the movie and the show writers actually felt inspired to actually do something. Still wouldn't say it's that good though.

This season (27!) actually had an episode that could stand among the best. It was the first non-Treehouse of Horror Halloween episode they've ever done. It was actually a really heartfelt episode done very well.

Here's a thread I posted about it after it premiered: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1126508&highlight=

This season (27!) actually had an episode that could stand among the best. It was the non-Treehouse of Horror Halloween episode (the first they've ever done). It was really a heartfelt episode done very well.

Yeah, definitely agree. First episode I actually went out of my way to watch in such a long time and actually heard people talk about in a decent light.

No_Style

I haven't watched the Simpsons in about 5 years or so. People often cap the series off at season 10 but it's tough for me to make that call because there are episodes which I've enjoyed beyond that mark. One classic Otto line that I love is from season 13: "They call them fingers but I never see them fing. Oh there they go!"

I maintain there are a myriad of factors for people not enjoying the latter seasons as much including the fact that they grew up and there was a generational shift in the writing staff as well. There's also the syndication aspect when we were exposed to early stuff on a regular basis.

This is true but there are post-season 10 episodes that tone down the Homer-isms. It's unfortunate that they're sandwiched in with episodes that rely on his known characteristics. HOMR and Skinner's Sense of Snow is a great example of the inconsistency of the show as different people made their way into the writing staff.

P.S - I now regret not keeping up with the show because it's impossible to stream it in Canada :(

hamchan

I watched the first episode of the Simpsons this season on Hulu. The episode ended with a zoom out of Lena Dunham from Girls with the episode actually being a tattoo on her back.

I said fuck this.

Patryn

I haven't watched the Simpsons in about 5 years or so. People often cap the series off at season 10 but it's tough for me to make that call because there are episodes which I've enjoyed beyond that mark. One classic Otto line that I love is from season 13: "They call them fingers but I never see them fing. Oh there they go!"

I maintain there are a myriad of factors for people not enjoying the latter seasons as much including the fact that they grew up and there was a generational shift in the writing staff as well. There's also the syndication aspect when we were exposed to early stuff on a regular basis.

This is true but there are post-season 10 episodes that tone down the Homer-isms. It's unfortunate that they're sandwiched in with episodes that rely on his known characteristics. HOMR and Skinner's Sense of Snow is a great example of the inconsistency of the show as different people made their way into the writing staff.

P.S - I now regret not keeping up with the show because it's impossible to stream it in Canada :(
Don't let my comment mean that I'm disavowing everything after that episode, simply that I agree that there was a major tone shift following that episode.

There are still a ton of great episodes past Season 10. A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again, for instance.

I watched the first episode of the Simpsons this season on Hulu. The episode ended with a zoom out of Lena Dunham from Girls with the episode actually being a tattoo on her back.

I said fuck this.

That episode was awful. Watch "Halloween of Horror" (the episode I was referring to above). Also, Puffless (the episode prior the "Halloween of Horror") had a fairly entertaining Maggie sub-plot called Maggie's Extraordinary Animal Adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom