• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

People freaking out about the no E3 thing. It's great.

There's actually some sense in the move if you take in a variety of factors.

1) E3 is bleeding top line exhibitors. While it isn't going away, there isn't the same fervor around it that there once was. Fewer eyes+Still a fairly crowded news cycle isn't the best way to go if you want long lasting discussion.
2) Microsoft and Sony are presumably revealing their mid gen cycles here. Even if NX turns out to be something completely novel and interesting, that's bound to steal attention
3) They can get pretty much as many eyes whenever they want with a simple Direct and small press event.

For a company in transition, it's a move that makes sense. They aren't going to be competing in Sony's and Microsoft's turf anyway. Why fight for the same news cycle?

yami4ct

Wow the rest of 2016 is gonna be a real content drought for Wii U. Jesus.

There might be some interesting surprises coming, given they like to drop things late in their Directs, but I don't expect more than 1-2 boxed game surprises. I'm not too shocked they're cutting Wii U lose, though. At this point, what are they really gonna lose with the Wii U having a shit holiday? It's not like Xenoblade lit em up.

yami4ct

Wait where is the Nintendo news from?

Fiscal Year/investor news call.

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are perfect choices for mobile. AC in particular should print money if they balance the monetization right. Don't see mobile versions of either replacing traditional releases, so it's a win-win.

Lunar FC

Yes, it's good fun. But if you can wait a while the professionally recorded/edited version should be up before the end of the week. Patrick confirmed this on his latest stream.

Ye just noticed it's still just the periscope stream.

Ugh this chick in the jackbox panel is irritating.

yami4ct

it's not so bad

I'm sure we got some neat new Amiibos to look forward to this year

how many times is it that the Bombcast missed huge news just a day after Tuesday

Well, at least the 3DS is still having a great year.

Dragon Quest, Rhythm Heaven, Monster Hunter, Zero Time Dilemma, Fire Emblem Fates, Picross, SMT IV: Apocalypse, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Phoenix Wright.

While the Wii U flounders, 3DS is having one of its best years ever.

yami4ct

if you like RPGs and visual novels, maybe

(it's a solid list, but nothing jumps out to me personally)

Strategy Games, RPGs, VNs, the occasional platformer and MonHun likes are the only things that really move the needle on handhelds anymore. Its the core of the 3DS' software base and it's the stuff that still does decently well (Ok, VNs are low sellers, but they are cheap low sellers). It's fine that that's not the stuff you're into, but for the majority of people still buying handhelds it's top tier stuff.

kiguel182

Premium content ideas

HitDan
More Demo Derby
More Game Tapes (once the deck is fixed)
Ranking of Fighters, but with guys like Jared Rea
Breaking Brad: Romero's Doom
Breaking Brad: Geometry Wars achievements
Time to Brad: how far can Brad get into a game before he dies?
Jeff, Alex, and Austin music podcast
Rorie's Dark Time: Rorie in VR isolation playing Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015
Risk-y Business: Brad, Dan, Jason, Danny, and Drew play Risk or Diplomacy and break friendships
Dan and Drew play through Deception IV
Typing of the Gods: load up Mavis Beacon, see who has the highest WPM
The Rocket League rubber match
More Us vs. Them

I want all of these.

Also, we need an extra Bombcast discussing the new Nintendo news.
P

yami4ct

If you do the vita is still the better system for those.

SMTIV and Dragon Quest versus Kiseki is a hard damn choice man. I don't think I can do it. They are equal in terms of RPGs for me. Kiseki is better, but 3DS has a larger portion of high quality titles.

Vita wins for VNs. Only unique good one 3DS really has is Phoenix Wright, and while still good, its a shadow of its best years. Ones on both are better on Vita.

Jintor

actually on second thought i should just stay out of all the ninty threads right now. Nothing worthwhile to be gained from them

yami4ct

actually on second thought i should just stay out of all the ninty threads right now. Nothing worthwhile to be gained from them

It's the kind of dumb posting that is actually entertaining. It's the kind of reactionary stuff that's super duper funny instead of the horrible kinds of threads we usually get that just make you hate everyone in the gaming community.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
SMTIV and Dragon Quest versus Kiseki is a hard damn choice man. I don't think I can do it. They are equal in terms of RPGs for me. Kiseki is better, but 3DS has a larger portion of high quality titles.

Vita wins for VNs. Only unique good one 3DS really has is Phoenix Wright, and while still good, its a shadow of its best years. Ones on both are better on Vita.

I'm on PAL so smtiv might as well be dead to me anyway.

Not exclusive but I do much prefer to play the atelier games on the vita.

"nothing worthwhile to be gained" seems to be the Nintendo 2016 forecast at the moment

i wanna see ninty us/eu get in on the fun.

Yep, I said as much in the thread on the Gaming side. I think it'd be cool to have Japanese players be on the "lmao what the fuck is this" side for once. Why not throw Asterix or some other quintessentially European character in there?

Antiwhippy

As a former metalhead, babymetal is pretty awesome.

Mostly because they don't take metal seriously at all, and the reason why I'm a former metalhead is because metalheads are just so fucking serious.

As a former metalhead, babymetal is pretty awesome.

Mostly because they don't take metal seriously at all, and the reason why I'm a former metalhead is because metalheads are just so fucking serious.

but if Metalocalypse taught me anything, it's that metal parodies are really close to the bottom rung of the comedy ladder

Jintor

the first time i saw my friend perform the chocolate song i was in awe. the second time i understood more japanese and thought "Wait... this song is literally just "man I want chocolate" over and over again"

Antiwhippy

but if Metalocalypse taught me anything, it's that metal parodies are really close to the bottom rung of the comedy ladder

No, they're not a parody. They are performing as a legit metal band. Like, there are some serious power metal and thrash metal chops in that band.

Which makes the times they break out into hip hop, techno, pop punk and ska extra hilarious. While making it fucking work.

Volotaire

5.25 years since the last original console Zelda. The gap is now officially bigger than TP - SS. Iwata originally wanted 3 years after SS.

Zaph

March release but nothing to show in June? Lol Nintendo never gonna learn I guess. Regardless of e3, not having anything months from (a theoretical) launch sure is going to inspire confidence.

popo

Nintendo casually dropping the release date in an earnings call is refreshing. If it were Atlus they would have teased a countdown to a reveal. If it were Sqeenix they would have announced a live stream, only to have Gamespot scoop them. If it were Sony they would have leaked the date to their pet sneak fucks in the press.

March release but nothing to show in June? Lol Nintendo never gonna learn I guess. Regardless of e3, not having anything months from (a theoretical) launch sure is going to inspire confidence.

Whenever they have the reveal event, the press will all cover it. It will be big enough that even the mainstream press will report on it. As long as it is some time this year then there will be plenty of time to build hype.

PS4 and Xbone revealed about 7 months out from launch.

popo

Why was everybody expecting it to release this year though? Did I miss some news or rumors, because I never got the impression it was going to release 2016.

There were a number of credible leaks. Maybe they were wrong. Maybe it got pushed back. Technically it will still be out in financial 2016/17 if it hits that date.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
GB missed the biggest news of the week but

man NX has nothing this year :l

I mean the big news is that there won't be any news. They can talk about the why's and how fucked up it is, I guess.

The big news I saw was that Mario Maker sold only around 3.5m copies, less than Splatoon, even though it's the best and most ingenious game Nintendo has made in like a decade and has massive crossover appeal. I don't get it, every Wii U owner should have a copy.

kAmui-

There were a number of credible leaks. Maybe they were wrong. Maybe it got pushed back. Technically it will still be out in financial 2016/17 if it hits that date.

Must have totally missed those then. I went by what Nintendo had said themselves and that always sounded like 2017 to me.

The big news I saw was that Mario Maker sold only around 3.5m copies, less than Splatoon, even though it's the best and most ingenious game Nintendo has made in like a decade and has massive crossover appeal. I don't get it, every Wii U owner should have a copy.

I dunno why you're surprised. If you don't like Mario games you wouldn't care, and a lot of places didn't give it the high praise GB did. Lots of Gaffers seem to share the opinion that it's a no effort game because it's all building tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom