• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the NX could pull off Wii U BC that easily then I would be very concerned for the NX. They need architecture that can compete with the PS4 and Xbone, they need to start afresh.

Yeah, I get that there are merits to being the first one in for the next generation but the flagging hardware is really starting to hold them back. I think they'd be better served waiting and launching a more competitive product.

NX's big games in Year 1 will likely be Zelda, Pikmin 4 and EAD Tokyo Mario game. Bare minimum. Possibly Retro's next game too. So, you know, manage expectations accordingly and that.

The general consensus is that xeno x and fire emblem x smt isn't a must play yes.

But I have my own tastes.
I thought the Japanese impressions of FExSMT were incredibly positive?

That's definitely not the case with Xenoblade but that's still probably the only game left on the Wii U that I have any amount of interest in. I don't expect it to be incredible but I'll probably have a decent enough time with it.

daydream

Banned
thinking of the wiiu as anything other than an essential and dominating platform will never not be confounding to me. i guess people have either an extremely narrow focus on the games they play or the 'quantity over quality' mentality is more prevalent than i thought

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I thought the Japanese impressions of FExSMT were incredibly positive?

That's definitely not the case with Xenoblade but that's still probably the only game left on the Wii U that I have any amount of interest in. I don't expect it to be incredible but I'll probably have a decent enough time with it.

I thought it was the opposite of positive? I might be wrong though.

thinking of the wiiu as anything other than an essential and dominating platform will never not be confounding to me. i guess people have either an extremely narrow focus on the games they play or the 'quantity over quality' mentality is more prevalent than i thought

I don't really care for Nintendo franchises outside of Pokemon and fire emblem.

Volotaire

NX's big games in Year 1 will likely be Zelda, Pikmin 4 and EAD Tokyo Mario game. Bare minimum. Possibly Retro's next game too. So, you know, manage expectations accordingly and that.

Zelda is launch, Pikmin 4 launch window (ironic), Mario for Xmas or Retro game. The latter teams will have been working on new projects for 4 years (at Xmas and assuming the DKTF delay was strategic timing rather than development reasons) at Xmas 2017.

popo

I assume Jeff will end up going to whatever NX reveal event they hold (assuming it's in America) (it should be), so at least we can look forward to more of MAN ON THE SCENE

I am sure they will demo it for the press before launch but recent Nintendo history would hint more towards a "direct" style reveal than a stage event.

KingKong

It just doesnt have those mature cinematic experiences people crave. Silly Nintendo focusing on the gameplay

it reviewed well but sold like shit in japan

I am not surprised that the intersection of "japanese people who want to play a game like this" and "japanese people who own a Wii U" is not massive

I get that FE is a nintendo property so there's only so much they could do, but that thing seemed kind of doomed in that market

it reviewed well but sold like shit in japan
Yeah, looking around it seems like it sold terribly but the people that have played it are all positive on it.
I just don't care about 90% of the games Nintendo makes, I've certainly tried but I just bounce off them.

I am sure they will demo it for the press before launch but recent Nintendo history would hint more towards a "direct" style reveal than a stage event.

Directs are made to speak to the fans, though. As much as they are product announcements, they're more strategically focused at the core audience. They've only ever announced one piece of hardware in a Direct - that being the New 3DS, a console upgrade targeted at the core gamer segment of the existing 3DS audience - and the NX is a whole different beast.

You announce it on a stage, in front of a lot of press who will then get to try it out (Inviting mainstream press to watch a livestream won't work at all, a press conference invite will get them to show up and write about it.) You do things differently where it makes sense but it wouldn't make sense here.

This LOUD on Planet X QL is great.

"Hot Soup and Me Too."

"What does God need with a vocaloid?"

it's funny because Queen of Hearts is on my bass practice/exercise playlist so I feel like I'd probably annihilate that stage

song is really good for building up fingerpicking stamina by the way. there isn't a single break in the entire 5 or so minutes

Volotaire

Directs are made to speak to the fans, though. As much as they are product announcements, they're more strategically focused at the core audience. They've only ever announced one piece of hardware in a Direct - that being the New 3DS, a console upgrade targeted at the core gamer segment of the existing 3DS audience - and the NX is a whole different beast.

You announce it on a stage, in front of a lot of press who will then get to try it out (Inviting mainstream press to watch a livestream won't work at all, a press conference invite will get them to show up and write about it.) You do things differently where it makes sense but it wouldn't make sense here.

I completely agree that revealing the NX in a Nintendo Direct like approach would be completley wrong.

Unless Nintendo are pursuing a strategy which allows them to sustain a their current business at 14 million units sold (Wii U fans proxying for the Nintendo hardcore fans) , and their additional software and alternative revenue streams they have, or they have spent a small amount of R&D on this new console (highly unlikely) and reduced operating costs substantially (highly unlikely), then they should be focusing on revealing the new hardware at an event and place which will reach the largest videogame user base (this extends from semi causal to slightly more hardcore to hardcore) and create the most internet spillover effects to parts of the former and mainstream media. I would have thought that the best strategy, to carry this out, would be to reveal the console at an event before E3 (separate out the hardware news), spend time on the console at E3 (expose the games and the console to the wider audience and building on the initial hype form the first event) and build up until launch. Once could argue alternative revenue streams (mobile, Amiibo, etc) could support a small user base at a size of about a few more million than the Wii U, but they are still in their infancy and also have operating costs too.

It was a very successful strategy for Sony for the PS4 (one could argue they could have moved their reveal event a bit closer to E3) and could have been successful for MSFT if not for the negative publicity, and the very large spillover effects from the poor PR and policies.

faridmon

Wow, didn't know Giantbomb as a collective hated Dead Nation so much.

I really loved it when I used to play with my cousin, never finished it though because it got ridiculously hard.

The funny thing is the rumors that NX would be as powerful as PS4 and XBone but then it probably still comes out after PS4k and is left behind once again.

I wonder if Nintendo is just going to focus on the core audience it has instead of branching out, and that's why it's making this delayed decision. Is there another big gaming event they could even preview it at?

The funny thing is the rumors that NX would be as powerful as PS4 and XBone but then it probably still comes out after PS4k and is left behind once again.

As long as it runs the games it has well, I really couldn't give a shit what its power is. WiiU managed to make some beautiful games even if they weren't running at 1080p.

Volotaire

I wonder if Nintendo is just going to focus on the core audience it has instead of branching out, and that's why it's making this delayed decision. Is there another big gaming event they could even preview it at?

As long as it runs the games it has well, I really couldn't give a shit what its power is. WiiU managed to make some beautiful games even if they weren't running at 1080p.

Gamescom is one, but that is quite close to E3.

Xater

Wow, didn't know Giantbomb as a collective hated Dead Nation so much.

I really loved it when I used to play with my cousin, never finished it though because it got ridiculously hard.

It's not a good game. Even reviews for it were worse than for the other Housemarque games. I am playing Alienation right now and I am glad that it's way better than Dead Nation.

Would they announce it at TGS? Would September be too late?

Oh I don't care about the power. I just mean it seems funny when all the rumors and all the talk always centers around third parties and the power they launch at. The rumors were saying they were going to be on par this time and then they seem to be launching after PS4 at least has an update out by that point? Just seems funny.

Xater

Would they announce it at TGS? Would September be too late?

Oh I don't care about the power. I just mean it seems funny when all the rumors and all the talk always centers around third parties and the power they launch at. The rumors were saying they were going to be on par this time and then they seem to be launching after PS4 at least has an update out by that point? Just seems funny.

Considering there will seemingly not be Neo exclusive games I guess Nintendo will be fine if they are at least equal. Personally I know I'll I know up a Neo before a NX because I know that's where I play most of my games on so I'd rather have those run better. NX will really have some hard convincing to do with constant software output. If they start out like the Wii U it will be a while before I pick that thing up.

justjim89

I feel like this Nintendo news is almost more bad news for E3 than Nintendo itself.

Also, it never fails to amuse me how many people, especially people within games media, hop on the "Nintendo is doomed" train anytime the company does anything odd. Like, really? Yeah, this isn't bound to be a very good holiday at all for them, but as a wise man once said "Count out Nintendo at your own peril."

Meneses

Nintendo will never be doomed, they can always fall back on releasing their 4 or 5 bigger franchises and fans will buy them. They'll be alright.

I mean, that's basically what a new Nintendo console is everytime, a new way to play their established games.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually come to think of it, if the rumours are true and the NX is basically Nintendo integrating their handheld stuff with their console side, I'd get it just for the portable side of things.

I don't honestly think the Neo or Xbox 1.5 will particularly matter in this, especially if Microsoft sticks to the no-exclusive policy that Sony's going for. Provided Nintendo can fit relatively seamlessly into the PS4/Xbone bracket, I could theoretically see it being supported the same as that 70 million userbase.

Of course, it won't be, but power won't be the reason.

Xater

Alienation is pretty cool but I wish it had matchmaking instead of a lobby system.

Yeah, it would be better, but I have tons of people joining my game. Doesn't seem to be a big issue. It's not like this is story heavy game where playing stuff out of order would be an issue.

Curufinwe

It's not a good game. Even reviews for it were worse than for the other Housemarque games. I am playing Alienation right now and I am glad that it's way better than Dead Nation.

Aliennation is only two points higher on MetaCritic, so it must not be a good game either.

GiantBomb's hate for Dead Nation is way out of proportion, as is their circle jerking over Geometry Wars.

I guess that seals it then, I won't be getting a Wii U. I will be getting an NX at launch though, it seems! Just gotta slog my way through finally finishing Skyward Sword before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom