• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
One of my friend just accepted a job offer in Singapore and now I'm looking at plane ticket prices and dreaming of adventure lol.

Fuck that shit is expensive...

killroy87

Bahhhh, I hate when news (in this case, the Nintendo stuff) is released right after a Bombcast's recording. That means we'll get the most diluted version of that discussion on the podcast, as they clearly will have already talked about it multiple times.

Checked out Nioh, it's pretty tough. Not so much in just how it is, but it will definitely take some getting used to the combat. The delays and stamina are huge but also the transition from blocking and combat. Interested to dive more into it and really get the hang of it.

killroy87

Wow, didn't know Giantbomb as a collective hated Dead Nation so much.

I really loved it when I used to play with my cousin, never finished it though because it got ridiculously hard.

Dead Nation was a game that didn't click with me at all. I thought it was quite poor. I've played Alien Nation for about an hour and it's already infinitely better.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope we get some Brad/Dan Hitman this week.

I won't be buying until all the episodes are out but apparently the new level is extraordinary.

it is and you should buy it now.

i hope they do a quick look. I just want to see where they go because the level is massive.

dr. h. c. jp. mus. cult. stump

so babymetal are a shockingly bland mainstream metal act that are largely saved by strong pop sensibilities and an unusually talented (for an idol) lead vocalist. Karate's chorus is the legit catchiest thing I've heard all year, anywhere.

they started out like 5-some years ago as a subunit of traditional idol group Sakura Gakuin, when one of the producers decided to mix his love of metal with idols. despite what reddit will tell you, they didn't pioneer anything, mixing metal with jpop is not a new concept; where they succeeded is in smart management, slick production, good imagery, and clever songwriting hires. like so many things, it's not about who did it first, it's who did it the most appealingly. for inexplicable reasons, one of their most inane and least interesting songs became a weird cult hit in the west and since then their international appeal has eclipsed their domestic appeal.

their second album is like the highest charting foreign language album in the west or something in half a century I think?

Babymetal drinking game: go to any article or video about them and take a shot every time you see a comment that says "I don't like metal or jpop, but I like this!"

I actually like a good deal of their songs tbh

only nintendo could get away with one playable game at e3 when they have two active platforms on the marketplace and a third coming out within a year.

They better have a damn good direct because they're giving little incentive to want to buy their nextgen machine with this near OG Xbox level of cut and run that's happening.

killroy87

only nintendo could get away with one playable game at e3 when they have two active platforms on the marketplace and a third coming out within a year.

They better have a damn good direct because they're giving little incentive to want to buy their nextgen machine with this near OG Xbox level of cut and run that's happening.

The OG Xbox cut and run didn't seem to hurt the 360 any :p

Peru

Jeff has a point though. E3 isn't the relevant place to judge Nintendo's strength, place in the industry or path moving forward. Their E3 will be weak, but that says nothing about NX.

killroy87

Jeff has a point though. E3 isn't the relevant place to judge Nintendo's strength, place in the industry or path moving forward. Their E3 will be weak, but that says nothing about NX.

E3 isn't the relevant place for anything anymore. Many major publishers have their own thing, and indies never flourished there anyway.

At best you can lean on the old "E3 is relevant because that's where the mainstream press goes each year" argument, but that's becoming less and less of a thing. That was a self-serving prophecy. Video games are a multi-billion dollar industry, and if E3 doesn't exist anymore, then the mainstream press will go to wherever they are being revealed instead.

StoveOven

Banned
E3 isn't the relevant place for anything anymore. Many major publishers have their own thing, and indies never flourished there anyway.

At best you can lean on the old "E3 is relevant because that's where the mainstream press goes each year" argument, but that's becoming less and less of a thing. That was a self-serving prophecy. Video games are a multi-billion dollar industry, and if E3 doesn't exist anymore, then the mainstream press will go to wherever they are being revealed instead.

E3 in terms of the show floor is getting less and less relevant, but every year more and more people watch the press conferences online. We might get to a point where there is no show floor, but having a place where all of the major publishers make announcements will continue to be a great marketing strategy

The OG Xbox cut and run didn't seem to hurt the 360 any :p

it didnt but that's thanks to there being a hunger for a newgen. that hunger doesn't exist in the middle of a generation like now nor is it happening in a vacuum. The other two machines are basically doing relaunches with updated specs. And then there's VR kinda being the weird cousin in the room of it all.

I fully expect nintendo games on steam by late 2017

Your might be thinking of Helldivers? Don't think it was ever on plus though.

it was

Xater

E3 in terms of the show floor is getting less and less relevant, but every year more and more people watch the press conferences online. We might get to a point where there is no show floor, but having a place where all of the major publishers make announcements will continue to be a great marketing strategy

Everyone could just hold their own form of directs whenever they want. They don't need a specific venue or time.

killroy87

No it isn't. Ask any publisher if they would rather be part of two days of non-stop announcements so as to get lost in the shuffle, or if they would rather do it on their own terms and get all the attention.

That's the whole reason for PSX/ EA's new thing, etc.

Nintendo doesn't need E3 to unveil the NX. They have their directs and people will literally drop everything to see the direct that has the NX reveal.

StoveOven

Banned
No it isn't. Ask any publisher if they would rather be part of two days of non-stop announcements so as to get lost in the shuffle, or if they would rather do it on their own terms and get all the attention.

If EA finds huge success this year and is in the future able to separate themselves even further from E3, then I'll happily eat crow. I just don't know if I believe that anybody other than the platform holders has the ability and the sway to generate the type of excitement that having three days of press conferences can generate.

Xater

Exactly, which is why E3 will not be a thing forever. Reaching your consumers directly has never been easier.

Think they'll show the NX in meetings at E3? They may not be showing it off at the show but could they maybe be showing it behind closed doors?

To the press? Absolutely not.

It's kind of insane how popular Nintendo Directs are, especially on Twitter and the Youtube reaction video front (as cringeworthy as they may be, there's a ton of them). There's little to no advantage to take what they do there and bring it to E3, so the move makes sense.

Rainmaker

Banned
I hope Brad doesn't play the new Doom level on UPF

I want him to play it for the next three weeks. Him doing it and the reactions to it gave me some good laughs.

This threads reaction to that third UPF when he booted it up was one of my favorite moments.

Anyways, I get why E3 is falling apart but I'm going to miss it being a thing where everyone came together for a lot of stupid excitement.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Who watches Nintendo Directs? Nintendo fans. A group that shrinks by the day. You have to attract some outside eyeballs once in awhile.

Zaph

Exactly, which is why E3 will not be a thing forever. Reaching your consumers directly has never been easier.

Those publishers are basically trying to have their cake and eat it - planning their own thing but inherently relying on the E3 show-floor/spectacle to exist so they can orbit it. While they might not be on the show floor itself (and are happy to let the other small studios/indies take that space), they are absolutely booking meeting rooms and taking advantage of the entire industry being in one place for a week.

Should the show-floor domino effect actually jeopardise E3's existence, you can bet those publishers will come back. Why? Because it's happened before and regardless of what makes for better consumer messaging, the industry itself needs E3.

Xater

Those publishers are basically trying to have their cake and eat it - planning their own thing but inherently relying on the E3 show-floor/spectacle to exist so they can orbit it. While they might not be on the show floor itself (and are happy to let the other small studios/indies take that space), they are absolutely booking meeting rooms and taking advantage of the entire industry being in one place for a week.

Should the show-floor domino effect actually jeopardise E3's existence, you can bet those publishers will come back. Why? Because it's happened before and regardless of what makes for better consumer messaging, the industry itself needs E3.

Meetings for what? Business you do at GDC and for the press you just do your own thing like EA. E3 itself is pretty unnecessary. The only way it will survive imo is if they go the Gamescom route and make it a public event as well.

I'm having way too much fun with Rocket League Hoops

This goal was to tie the game, after the buzzer.

2016's Old Game Of The Year.

YExv9W.gif

StoveOven

Banned
Hoops was exactly what I needed to get back into Rocket League. They've been supporting it well, but I was pretty much done playing the base game at a certain point. Hoops is a great addition though that's reminding how good that game is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The NX news got me thinking about the pcast a couple weeks ago where they talked about the Wii U and its legacy or if it was a good system for them. I was kind of surprised that they said yes? I know they cited Mario Maker and Splatoon but I thought about it and those were the only two games on the system that I really liked as well(And I didn't even like Mario Maker all that much). I don't know, a system with 2 games on it that I ever truly enjoyed doesn't seem like a good system to me. Not after paying 300 dollars for it. Even my PS4 that I don't play that much compared to my PC, I purchased and enjoyed far more than 2 games.

Then there's Tokyo Mirage Sessions and that's it. I'd have never bought the Wii U if I knew then what I knew now.

kvk1

i haven't owned a single Nintendo product since the 64

i'm looking forward to the NX changing that

that's all I got

oh and dan ryckert still sucks

kvk1

holy shit, the list of games you have to play is fucking ridiculous

i know...

i'm actually a bit overwhelmed around here sometimes, because i got into video games pretty late in life, and haven't really owned/played a lot of the "core" games/consoles that everyone agrees on

so most discussions i just nod my head and go yep, that must have been a cool game

Strax

I've never said/written this before but I think the Mario Galaxy concept/hooks/gimmicks are all terrible and is by far my least fav. Mario game.

i haven't owned a single Nintendo product since the 64

i'm looking forward to the NX changing that

that's all I got

oh and dan ryckert still sucks

I'd actually buy a Wii U when it gets cheap tbh. You can play the best Wii U/Wii games along with a few remastered GC games. It's probably the best way to catch up on the Nintendo library outside of buying each console.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As much as I hated the Wii control scheme, its cheap price and popularity made it worthwhile to me just for all the weird, niche games like Fishing Resort, Go Vacation, Sky Crawlers, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom