• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey look. Another 'censorship' thread!

People aren't allowed to have opinions on game content. Developers aren't allowed to make updates when agreeing with said opinion.

This shit is never going to end, huh?

It's especially hilarious when you consider that they're leaving the pose in for another character.

But of course people don't care to actually look into the situation and prefer to whine.
I remember them playing and digging it during the closed beta. I guess it didn't stick with anyone enough to go to the new beta?
Might as well wait for the full game at this point.

I remember them playing and digging it during the closed beta. I guess it didn't stick with anyone enough to go to the new beta?

They're monsters ;-; I blame super mario maker

It's especially hilarious when you consider that they're leaving the pose in for another character.

But of course people don't care to actually look into the situation and prefer to whine.

It's stupid. Hanzo, a samurai archer has the butt pose. Where the fuck are the complaints for him? He definitely isn't a character that would do that, like Tracer.

So on the flipside, there is a bit of sexism involved in the complain of tracers butt pose. It's a problem for her because it doesn't fit his character, but it fits a samurai archer who was almost killed by his robot brother and is seeking revenge? Nah fuck that. If they're going to remove the butt pose, remove it for everyone it doesn't fit. Or keep it in for everyone. I prefer the latter because I prefer options.

yami4ct

The people complaining about content changes are always greater than the people pointing out they don't dig a particular piece of content. Some amazing hyperbolic posts in there. Tons of sweeping generalizations about 'coddled millennials' and 'PC Culture'.

Do these people ever peak outside their little video game bubble?

The other character is ugly so her butt is irrelevant. Also, aren't the poses user selected? So, like, don't pick the butt one if it bothers you? I don't know. I don't really care about Overwatch or Blizzard at all, so my opinion probably has little value.

Edit: Ugly is a strong word. They're different butts, certainly, and users may appreciate one more than the other.

It's stupid. Hanzo, a samurai archer has the butt pose. Where the fuck are the complaints for him? He definitely isn't a character that would do that, like Tracer.

So on the flipside, there is a bit of sexism involved in the complain of tracers butt pose. It's a problem for her because it doesn't fit his character, but it fits a samurai archer who was almost killed by his robot brother and is seeking revenge? Nah fuck that. If they're going to remove the butt pose, remove it for everyone it doesn't fit. Or keep it in for everyone. I prefer the latter because I prefer options.

That's making the assumption that the person is aware Hanzo has that pose.
The people complaining about content changes are always greater than the people pointing out they don't dig a particular piece of content. Some amazing hyperbolic posts in there. Tons of sweeping generalizations about 'coddled millennials' and 'PC Culture'.

Do these people ever peak outside their little video game bubble?
Based on how defensive they get, no.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I haven't seen him, but I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that Hanzo has pants that needed to be modeled as opposed to a different colored ass texture.

yami4ct

That simply means he's cherry picking Tracer(And subsequently Widowmaker) because they're women, meaning that the person is in fact sexist.

Or they just happened to want to play that character, were bothered by that pose but otherwise dug them and wanted to point it out.

If Hanzo's pose doesn't fit for you, go ahead and let Blizzard know! For a game that's always updating like Overwatch, Blizzard has a reason to listen to player feedback. If a dev agrees with you, it might get changed.

That simply means he's cherry picking Tracer(And subsequently Widowmaker) because they're women, meaning that the person is in fact sexist.

No? Them not being aware would mean that they aren't aware, the person might not have had any idea that the anyone outside of Tracer and Widowmaker have that pose.

Wunder

I haven't seen him, but I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that Hanzo has pants that needed to be modeled as opposed to a different colored ass texture.

8VZYN8J.jpg
elmXsq1.jpg

Yeah I'm not sure you can equally compare the two.

Or they just happened to want to play that character, were bothered by that pose but otherwise dug them and wanted to point it out.

If Hanzo's pose doesn't fit for you, go ahead and let Blizzard know! For a game that's always updating like Overwatch, Blizzard has a reason to listen to player feedback. If a dev agrees with you, it might get changed.

No? Them not being aware would mean that they aren't aware, the person might not have had any idea that the anyone outside of Tracer and Widowmaker have that pose.

And I will!

#AllButtsareEqual
#HanzoisaMan
#Justice4Hanzo

yami4ct

To me, all this censorship junk boils down to a few things. Either

A) The developers changed their mind and changed a piece of content they weren't completely happy with.
B) A localization team feels the need to change the game to conform to the cultural norms of their intended audience.
or C) A player doesn't like something and tells the dev. The dev, upon considering the criticism agrees and changes it.

Of these, only B can be concerning to me, and so far there has been zero cases recently where I felt like that localizers have gone too far. I can see instances where a localizer ruins an intended impact by making too harsh of changes, but that's kind of a useless criticism since it hasn't been happening in the places where people are pointing out and complaining.

A and B are no different to a developer making balance changes for me. It's a perfectly acceptable way for things to work in a modern digital age.

justjim89

Yeah, why does Twitter handle gifs like that? Probably so you have to link to the actual tweet, but it's annoying as shit for my GB gif collection.

It's Twitter's loss. I was gonna use it in my weekly TFWMemeMondays.gif post on tumblr, but I had to go with old reliable.

tumblr_o4s0fzsO8c1u5eu8ao1_500.gif

Now it'll be the one to get those 23 notes.

yami4ct

Jeff saying 'most of these games feel like they could be single location experiences. You know, at a mall or something' might be the most (unintentionally?) damning thing said about the current crop of VR games. Just, ouch.

Meneses

It would be cool if someone makes a "Best of" the Rift stream for the few funny highlights.

I dropped in a couple times and my feelings were mostly split between "slightly dizzy / sick" and "bored".

It's Twitter's loss. I was gonna use it in my weekly TFWMemeMondays.gif post on tumblr, but I had to go with old reliable.

tumblr_o4s0fzsO8c1u5eu8ao1_500.gif

Now it'll be the one to get those 23 notes.

Talking about notes

I dunno if Fob was the first to post it(Probably was), but he posted the Drew moving around the car to look at his body and it only has 400 retweets or so. Then some other guy posted the same video and it had like 2 k retweets.

FOBWASHED WAS ROBBED
https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/714500313823059968

Then this guy comes 18 minutes later
https://twitter.com/HereticSoul/status/714504922411188224

Myggen

Vive launch day stream probably happening if they get their hands on a Vive before launch.
CqyOHTN.png

Talking about notes

I dunno if Fob was the first to post it(Probably was), but he posted the Drew moving around the car to look at his body and it only has 400 retweets or so. Then some other guy posted the same video and it had like 2 k retweets.

FOBWASHED WAS ROBBED
https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/714500313823059968

Then this guy comes 18 minutes later
https://twitter.com/HereticSoul/status/714504922411188224

There's a third one with more retweets than that of the same video. Not sure who was first. TWITTER IS A DANGEROUS PLACE!

To me, all this censorship junk boils down to a few things.

subset of the population, generally acknowledged to be bad at socialization, react poorly to the notion that other people have different ways of viewing the world.

of course the real irony is that the people who complain about other people being sensitive are offended that other people are offended because there's a 0.00001% chance that anybody would have noticed or cared that a pose had been removed for one character if they weren't jealous that somebody else got their way.

yami4ct

Any Occulus game that has to show the split eye/fish eye view out for video should be banned from streaming. That is instant motion sickness for me.

subset of the population, generally acknowledged to be bad at socialization, react poorly to the notion that other people have different ways of viewing the world.

of course the real irony is that the people who complain about other people being sensitive are offended that other people are offended because there's a 0.00001% chance that anybody would have noticed or cared that a pose had been removed for one character if they weren't jealous that somebody else got their way.

It's so weird when people think it's someone 'getting their way'. I guess it is, but far, far more often than not it's the result of a developer agreeing with the criticism.

Jintor

i wonder if the ultimate throughline of the censorship argument is that a creator is never allowed to change their mind about shit once they've released it

Jeff saying 'most of these games feel like they could be single location experiences. You know, at a mall or something' might be the most (unintentionally?) damning thing said about the current crop of VR games. Just, ouch.

How long have developers had to make VR games? Has it been enough time that we should expect better stuff?

Maybe the medium just isn't great for classic experiences or maybe the tech needs to get better, but, yes, the actual games are not impressive. I understand that VR works, which is great, but that doesn't mean the games are good. It's like saying certain motion-controlled or iPhone games are good because they work. No, that's just step one.

yami4ct

Adr1ft streams in that awful fisheye view as well? Dammit. This is a large portion of this stream that's just absolutely unwatchable to me.

How long have developers had to make VR games? Has it been enough time that we should expect better stuff?

Maybe the medium just isn't great for classic experiences or maybe the tech needs to get better, but, yes, the actual games are not impressive. I understand that VR works, which is great, but that doesn't mean the games are good. It's like saying certain motion-controlled or iPhone games are good because they work. No, that's just step one.

DK1 was around 2013 IIRC. Lots have changed in terms of display tech, but I feel like people should have a better idea of how to properly use the device in terms of control with a normal controller and what might actually be fun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Adr1ft streams in that awful fisheye view as well? Dammit. This is a large portion of this stream that's just absolutely unwatchable to me.

DK1 was around 2013 IIRC. Lots have changed in terms of display tech, but I feel like people should have a better idea of how to properly use the device in terms of control with a normal controller and what might actually be fun.

3 years is not a long time in software development. We're talking about small teams here, not full on 100 team AAA developers.

It's so weird when people think it's someone 'getting their way'. I guess it is, but far, far more often than not it's the result of a developer agreeing with the criticism.

of course that's how they think. "It's not fair Billy got extra carrots, even though I don't like carrots. Billy's selfish."

it's just that most of this stuff used to happen out of the public eye with focus groups, etc. so now you get more and (maybe) better feedback for free, but it comes at the cost of being visible.

I halfway wonder who all these people are who have never had to compromise, consider external feedback, or even understand how collaboration works. and how are there so many of them?

yami4ct

3 years is not a long time in software development. We're talking about small teams here, not full on 100 team AAA developers.

I don't expect full long 60 hour experience, but I did expect a better handle on what might be fun for a decently long time. There's nothing here so far that seems more than a tech demo.

Jintor

I halfway wonder who all these people are who have never had to compromise, consider external feedback, or even understand how collaboration works. and how are there so many of them?

you could probably divide about half into kids, then a substantial portion of that above into people who haven't held full-time jobs or worked on long-term projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom