• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't expect full long 60 hour experience, but I did expect a better handle on what might be fun for a decently long time. There's nothing here so far that seems more than a tech demo.

That's what they'll be for awhile.

I'd imagine quite a number of those developement time was spent to make sure nobody throws up while wearing it.

Like with developement costs I tend to think that people have unreasonable expectations when it comes to development time to and how time consuming it is to actually explore an entirely new concept. Plus it's harder when there isn't as much of a live audience.

yami4ct

Ok, if the game after Adr1ft also uses this fish-eye view, I might have to quit watching and go to Project BEAST. I'm legit feeling queasy.

That's what they'll be for awhile.

I'd imagine quite a number of those developement time was spent to make sure nobody throws up while wearing it.

Like with developement costs I tend to think that people have unreasonable expectations when it comes to development time to and how time consuming it is to actually explore an entirely new concept.

I think it's a fair criticism given these companies are asking people to shell out $500+ based on these experiences.

Antiwhippy

Ok, if the game after Adr1ft also uses this fish-eye view, I might have to quit watching and go to Project BEAST. I'm legit feeling queasy.

I think it's a fair criticism given these companies are asking people to shell out $500+ based on these experiences.

It is, which is why I think people shouldn't buy in if they aren't ready to buy in on, being honest here, QAing VR.

Like I've mentioned though, it has an audience in racing games and Space sims. Those are the easy stuff though.

I don't think it's exactly controvesial to say that "full" "unique" VR experiences will take awhile to develop that is far more than just 3 years.

yami4ct

I think I'm done with this VR stream. I'll wait for a supercut of the highlights. Current games just aren't fun to watch and there's too much shit that just makes me motion sick. Onto quality content like Kerbal!

It is, which is why I think people shouldn't buy in if they aren't ready to buy in on, being honest here, QAing VR.

Like I've mentioned though, it has an audience in racing games and Space sims. Those are the easy stuff though.

I don't think it's exactly controvesial to say that "full" "unique" VR experiences will take awhile to develop that is far more than just 3 years.

I wish companies and enthusiasts would sell the tech with that honest enthusiasm.

Antiwhippy

I think I'm done with this VR stream. I'll wait for a supercut of the highlights. Current games just aren't fun to watch and there's too much shit that just makes me motion sick. Onto quality content like Kerbal!

I wish companies and enthusiasts would sell the tech with that honest enthusiasm.

Capitalism man. It's a beautiful thing.

I pretty much have no interest in any VR exclusive game right now except for summer lessons but I'm excited to finally be part of the ride with the PSVR, as bumpy and long as it may be.

Tubobutts

I stopped watching the stream right before PAlmer Lucky showed up, but my opinion on VR went from "I have no interest in this as of now" to "I have no interest in this as of now".

i don't think VR is interactive enough to make wholly new and interesting game experiences. 600 bucks is a lot to ask for something that seems to be producing iPhone tier games

yami4ct

Capitalism man. It's a beautiful thing.

I pretty much have no interest in any VR exclusive game right now except for summer lessons but I'm excited to finally be part of the ride with the PSVR, as bumpy and long as it may be.

Capitalism doesn't explain the crazies that want to anoint it an instant success and revolution. I think VR will be a thing some day, but I'm not certain it's this current iteration of devices.

I honestly would not be surprised to see it fail to gain a signficant audience until they can embed screens in something contact lens size.

yami4ct

I'm glad we've finally moved passed the phase of seeing Summer Lesson as a creepy VR Love Plus like thing and started seeing as a legit dope thing.

It's the only thing interesting and unique to me in VR right now. It's not interesting enough to justify buying it, but it's such a cool thing that exists.

Bacon

Glad I waited to watch this stream before I seriously considered ordering a vr headset. The software just is nowhere near compelling enough as of now.

yami4ct

I mean.

You should probably take into account the people who are saying that summer lesson looks dope. :p

I should say, I think Love Plus is conceptually dope as well.

I think any digital character that can create a real emotional attachment is a cool damn thing. I want to interact with digital people as part of my future. Imagine if AI, speech recognition, etc were as good as they could be. I could, for instance, talk to a virtual John Carmack if I was having trouble with a programming problem.

The idea of bouncing your ideas off virtual reconstructions of real people is, like, the most futurey and cool shit.

"Dear Namco, please add butts to Summer Lesson."

aCPEcdQ.gif

yami4ct

Is this Summer Lesson talk some sort of in-joke or am I completely missing something?

Summer Lesson is currently the only experience right now that VR is truly needed to make work. It's absolutely fascinating because of it.

I absolute love the idea of sharing a space and interacting with a virtual character that your mind actually believes is there.

Fobwashed

Vive launch day stream probably happening if they get their hands on a Vive before launch.
CqyOHTN.png

There's a third one with more retweets than that of the same video. Not sure who was first. TWITTER IS A DANGEROUS PLACE!

As far as I know I think they just tried to share my tweet but Twitter ripped the video and discarded the tweet. If u look at it in vanilla twitter, my name is on top of the vid for some reason. I'm pretty sure it wasn't some attempt to cut me out =P And even if it was, it's a straight video rip from the stream with no additional editing so it's not even something I'd stake as mine in the first place =]

The only time I'm actually bugged by twitter stuff is when it's something I put some work into beyond just capping a dumb gif/video. For instance, I've seen this in a few places already https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/714518096908713984 but like, even then, meh. I've had ppl steal my art and claim it was their own and that's way worse than dumb memes. It's the internet. Ppl steal shit.

PS Holy fuck the VR stream was fun to watch. Giant Bomb continues to deliver the goods. Anyone know if there were any other good live streams of VR stuff today?

Dineren

Banned
Can you rewatch the stream right now?

Seems to be available here.

I still have a few hours left to catch up on tomorrow, but that was a great stream. Pretty much confirmed what I expected for the launch, but I'm still looking forward to getting my Rift and Vive in the next couple of weeks. The non-gaming stuff that will eventually arrive is far more exciting to me than the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom