• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb's Dan Ryckert's Campaign To Get Married At Vegas Taco Bell (He Won)

Brakke

Banned
The only thing more tired than Dan's trash shtick is complaining about Dan's trash shtick.

Everybody knows the score by now.

phant0m

Absolutely needs to happen. Never change, Dan.

If you think he's just a 1-dimensional moron, I strongly suggest you read his latest book. (If you already like him and want a thoroughly entertaining read, you should get it as well).

Godspeed Dan!

Dan brings so much energy and passion to GB, he's great. I think his features are the best gb content and now with Vinny in them, nothing else on the site can compare.

FatalT

Banned
I don't understand why people like Dan. His schtick is so fucking tired. "what's air? What's dirt? Why is the sky blue?" He's like having an annoying toddler on your podcast asking childish questions every five minutes. No one gives a shit about explaining air to you, Dan, let the grown-ups talk. It was amazing when he left the Bombcast and they got back to conversing like grown adults.

Good luck in your taco endeavor, Dan, I'm sure you'll make your gross cult of personality very happy.

You're on GAF, not Voat.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
OléGunner;230412579 said:
I've never had Taco Bell but always wanted to try it.
It doesn't live up to its legend if you've never had it. Most people only eat it when they're compromised (drunk, out of money, no other options), which is why people who consider it a favorite restaurant are looked at funny.

Mupod

do US taco bells have fries supreme? I feel about those kind of the way Dan does about gas station taquitos.

Skronk

Banned
Absolutely needs to happen. Never change, Dan.

If you think he's just a 1-dimensional moron, I strongly suggest you read his latest book. (If you already like him and want a thoroughly entertaining read, you should get it as well).

I second this. He has an extremely interesting story. I even got a non Giant Bomb fan at work reading it.

do US taco bells have fries supreme? I feel about those kind of the way Dan does about gas station taquitos.

No, they don't. I recall a conversation where he learned of this fact and was blown away that a taco bell could serve fries. He wanted to try them.

People should ready Anxiety as an Ally at the very least before making a judgement call about Ryckert. I love his author mugshot:

617-cOngjjL._UX250_.jpg

HvySky

OléGunner;230412579 said:
I've never had Taco Bell but always wanted to try it.
Good luck to you Dan and congrats in advance to your marriage!

You're not missing much. Don't get me wrong, I've eaten at Taco Bell more times than is probably healthily advisable, but I go there because it's dirt cheap, not good.

Regiruler

I'm just saying it would be fun, it would be silly. They are two people who love each other and love Taco Bell. They aren't hurting anyone and you're over here like ow ow ow my soul is dying because people i don't know are being goofy.
The sociology of people goes beyond the individual.

Wiseblood

How is this any better than what he posted? 'dude fuck you, you suck?' You're not gonna make it past being a junior with a childish attitude like that.

Dan pretty much welcomes this kind of thing, his entire internet persona is built around these kinds of responses, he found a way to take the negativity pointed towards him and profit from it. A lot of people can't really see through Dan's subtle(?) art of being a heel, so it's no surprise that some people just flat out can't see through the comedic act and find his persona/fanbase enraging.

So Dan's pretending to be a heel? Like X-Pac? He was a heel, right?

shamanick

imagine listening to the bombcast trying to hear adults talking about video games

What is there to hate? I keep looking and I can't find it.

I think he can speak pretty intelligently about video games, so there's that. If you don't care for his persona that's your prerogative but the antipathy is surprising

ACE 1991

I don't understand why people like Dan. His schtick is so fucking tired. "what's air? What's dirt? Why is the sky blue?" He's like having an annoying toddler on your podcast asking childish questions every five minutes. No one gives a shit about explaining air to you, Dan, let the grown-ups talk. It was amazing when he left the Bombcast and they got back to conversing like grown adults.

Good luck in your taco endeavor, Dan, I'm sure you'll make your gross cult of personality very happy.

It's a podcast about fucking video games. Yeesh.

Stoze

These kinds of posts are why I almost never participate in the GB community threads despite being a long time fan of the website. The constant nitpicking and harsh criticism of the GB guys like they're things and not people is nauseating, and this shit is a dime a dozen in the OTs. Add in the abundance of drive-by posts and edgy hot takes that leave no room for discussion and it's just not a fun place to be.

Edited; I just needed to vent. I like the GB fans here and the community threads are ultimately too big and fast moving to generalize. They're just overbearing at times.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

G-gross! Ewww!

Lmao. Do you guys read this stuff before you hit post?

marrec

Banned
I think he can speak pretty intelligently about video games, so there's that. If you don't care for his persona that's your prerogative but the antipathy is surprising

He's had some shocking insights into some games for sure, and when he's not being shockingly insightful he's being hilarious.

I dunno why people hate him.

pelican

How dare someone have fun at their wedding at a location they like I guess :lol:

It is his wedding. Not some kinda of random get together for a laugh. You know, the important day. I do wonder what his fiancé's family think. I don't think many mothers and fathers dream of their daughter being married in a fast food joint.

At the end of the day I still wish them both well.

danm999

Hahahahahaha that is such a Dan idea for a wedding. Hope it comes off for you Dan! As someone who has enjoyed your content for years all the best to you and Bianca.

It is his wedding. Not some kinda of random get together for a laugh. You know, the important day. I do wonder what his fiancé's family think. I don't think many mothers and fathers dream of their daughter being married in a fast food joint.

Bianca didn't want to do a giant fancy wedding. "She initially wanted to do a quick and easy courthouse thing because she doesn't care about the big frilly traditional wedding."

If I were them I'd be thrilled to not have to foot the bill for a wedding.

Godspeed Dan!

Dan brings so much energy and passion to GB, he's great. I think his features are the best gb content and now with Vinny in them, nothing else on the site can compare.

The problem is Alex, with his overly negative views on everything and generally unfunny try hard comments

sikkinixx

The problem is Alex, with his overly negative views on everything and generally unfunny try hard comments

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic but I find Alex and Dan to be opposite sides of the same coin. They've both talked (or written in Dan's case) about how they suffer from anxiety. Alex seems to do the I'm-only-happy-when-it-rains snarky dismissal of everything (though that has been way less in the past while) whereas Dan is the class clown who is smarter than he leads on but has built his persona around being dumb and leans hard into it.

Both of which I can see why people get fatigued at listening to. I've had to take breaks from content with both in the past though I appreciate what they both bring to GB and enjoy listening to them every week the vast majority of the time.

The only thing about Dan is I have this cynical part of me that believes he veers too close into being a shameless shill for his own brand since he's a tireless self promoter by blending all the stuff he does together. But that's what GB is isn't it? It's about listening or watching personalities you enjoy be themselves (or their on-air version of themselves) so it makes sense he wants to build an audience through videos or periscoping dumb shit or his silly persona or living out his dream of being a bad wrestling heel (even if, and I'm sorry Dan I like you a lot, his promo deliveries are terrible) or whatever. Can't hate on the hustle. Dude seems to always be doing shit and seems to be having fun doing it which is more than most people can say about themselves.

More on topic, the adult in me cringes at this. Weddings and funerals, for me, are two of the only times in life where I feel like being a "grown up" applies. Dress nicely and do things fairly formally. people who show up at a fucking wedding in jeans make me irrationally angry. But then the kid in me thinks it's pretty funny they would do it (at a disgusting ass place like Taco Bell nonetheless) and if they both want to and won't regret it, why not I guess?!

killroy87

Considering what a bullshit money hole weddings traditionally are, I think this is a great idea. Celebrate the occasion with a venue that actually reflects the sense of humour of the happy couple? That makes more sense to me that Dan going to a church.

If more weddings were like this, they wouldn't be such pretentious hell for everyone involved.

He drinks soda every morning?! How?! lol. That podcast of them talking about eating Taco Bell forever, or never, and he discusses what he'd buy made me feel sick. I don't know how his body manages.

Top Bottom