• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AgentWhiskers said:
Oh, I sneak a whiff every time a girl hugs me. There's just something magical about the scent.

photo_12_hires.jpg

Ducky_McGee said:
:D

Anyone ever catch someone smelling their hair? Like during a hug.

Anyone ever have somebody start playing with your hair, like, for no reason? Its fine when girlfriends do it but I've had random male classmates who I'm sitting next to start touching my hair, and it really weirded me out.

hteng

Banned
Kitsunebaby said:
Anyone ever have somebody start playing with your hair, like, for no reason? Its fine when girlfriends do it but I've had random male classmates who I'm sitting next to start touching my hair, and it really weirded me out.

must be that smell hmm..

Kitsunebaby said:
A guy in my course does that but I think he's got slight mental problems or something. I saw him doing it to some random girl during a lecture.

Totally gives me Lennie vibes.

ikkemenx

LOL I don't sniff dudes but if I catch a whiff it can be like unf. Dat Old Spice (Showtime and Pure Sport > all). I find if I wear vanilla scents guys smell me more xD. And if I ever use Neutrogena Triple Conditioner in my hair I will get a compliment :)

I ran out of shampoo and had to use my roommates Garnier Fructis shampoo that spells like fruit. Girls made fun of me in my study group :(

I smelled pretty and had clean hair though :)

Nymeria88

When he lived at home, my boyfriend used warm vanilla sugar body wash because that was there. It made him smell very nice, like baking cookies. Now since he moved out he buys much more neutral scents, but I kinda miss the old stuff.

Does anybody regret the money they spent on their wedding? It went by so fast and was kind of stressful and after the fact I realized the money spent was so that other people could have a good time. If I could do it again I would do a garden wedding and bbq. On the other hand I know some women who are wedding obsessed and even after their wedding(years) they still stare longingly at their huge wedding albums and their homes are covered in wedding pictures. I sometimes wonder if the idea of getting married far outweighs the reality of marriage for them. It's like the Big Fat Gypsy Weddings. Those girls go all out for that one day because their lives are shit the day after.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Ducky_McGee said:
Wedding hair is expensive. D: I got a manicure and a pedicure too. The whole shebang cost over $300. x.x
Looking hot ain't cheap, gurlfriend. *snaps fangaz*

So, ladies, speedos. Yay or nay?

Teh Hamburglar said:
I ran out of shampoo and had to use my roommates Garnier Fructis shampoo that spells like fruit. Girls made fun of me in my study group :(

I smelled pretty and had clean hair though :)
I bet they were jealous.

ronitoswife

Neo Member
VelvetMouth said:
Does anybody regret the money they spent on their wedding? It went by so fast and was kind of stressful and after the fact I realized the money spent was so that other people could have a good time. If I could do it again I would do a garden wedding and bbq. On the other hand I know some women who are wedding obsessed and even after their wedding(years) they still stare longingly at their huge wedding albums and their homes are covered in wedding pictures. I sometimes wonder if the idea of getting married far outweighs the reality of marriage for them. It's like the Big Fat Gypsy Weddings. Those girls go all out for that one day because their lives are shit the day after.
I actually didn't spend all that much on my wedding. Just a few hundred $$$. I had many friends that offered to do things as their wedding gifts. My friend was in school for photography so she did my pics, my other friend worked in a bakery so she did the cake, another friend did my flowers and all that. Another friend made little aprons for my nieces who were all excited to serve desserts to our guests. My brother makes rings and he made our wedding rings for us. I never wanted a big fancy wedding so it all worked for me. My little sister got married last year and she felt the same, no big weddings. She made a giant twister board for everyone to play. It was great!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
VelvetMouth said:
What you think you're going to look like:

img]http://edukatorz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Daniel-Craig-Speedo.jpg[/img]

What you really look like:

http://i45.tinypic.com/vghruw.jpg/img][/QUOTE]
I just realized I spent the past 3 minutes staring in admiration at that Daniel Craig pic and I feel no shame. dat body

ronitoswife said:
I actually didn't spend all that much on my wedding. Just a few hundred $$$. I had many friends that offered to do things as their wedding gifts. My friend was in school for photography so she did my pics, my other friend worked in a bakery so she did the cake, another friend did my flowers and all that. Another friend made little aprons for my nieces who were all excited to serve desserts to our guests. My brother makes rings and he made our wedding rings for us. I never wanted a big fancy wedding so it all worked for me. My little sister got married last year and she felt the same, no big weddings. She made a giant twister board for everyone to play. It was great!

Those sound like fun weddings. We didn't have a big wedding. We got married in front of our family only but the reception was really nice at a restaurant. My husband is older and his friends all had the fancy expensive weddings so I think he felt compelled. I could care less.

It's just scary how some people get. Our nephew was/is engaged to a woman who wants the big blowout wedding even though she has zero money. Thankfully that relationship seems to be on the way out to the delight of the family.

AgentWhiskers said:
I just realized I spent the past 3 minutes staring in admiration at that Daniel Craig pic and I feel no shame. dat body

He does look damn good. I hate super buff men, his body is just perfect.

VelvetMouth said:
Does anybody regret the money they spent on their wedding?

We regretted it in advance and remain happily common-law* as we shop for our first house. We would do a simple BBQ if it was just about the cost, but there's also that we both hate big to-dos, especially with us as the focus.

*here, there is very little legal difference between common-law and married.

CrudeDiatribe said:
We regretted it in advance and remain happily common-law* as we shop for our first house. We would do a simple BBQ if it was just about the cost, but there's also that we both hate big to-dos, especially with us as the focus.

*here, there is very little legal difference between common-law and married.

We were common law and would've stayed that way but we moved to the US and I had to do it for immigration purposes. It's just a piece of paper anyways.

kisaya said:
I think my hijab smells pretty nice :)
Oh right, I was going to ask you, what's your opinion on those? Do you like wearing it? I think they can be stylish depending on how they're worn, and are a good alternative to some of the other, more restrictive coverings women wear in some Islamic countries, such as the burqa and niqab.

ronitoswife

Neo Member
VelvetMouth said:
Those sound like fun weddings. We didn't have a big wedding. We got married in front of our family only but the reception was really nice at a restaurant. My husband is older and his friends all had the fancy expensive weddings so I think he felt compelled. I could care less.

It's just scary how some people get. Our nephew was/is engaged to a woman who wants the big blowout wedding even though she has zero money. Thankfully that relationship seems to be on the way out to the delight of the family.
We have a friend who just got engagged and the ring was 25,000$. We've all told him he's so crazy for spending that much, but that's the one she wanted. Seriously, I don't understand the obsession with a big fancy ring. It doesn't mean your man loves you more or less.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ronitoswife said:
Seriously, I don't understand the obsession with a big fancy ring. It doesn't mean your man loves you more or less.

Really? I'm pretty sure that the bigger the ring, the more he loves you...
;p

AgentWhiskers said:
Oh, I sneak a whiff every time a girl hugs me. There's just something magical about the scent.

I love when my girlfriend happens to sleep in my bed because the pillow smells like her for the rest of the week.

ronitoswife said:
We have a friend who just got engagged and the ring was 25,000$. We've all told him he's so crazy for spending that much, but that's the one she wanted. Seriously, I don't understand the obsession with a big fancy ring. It doesn't mean your man loves you more or less.

I'd rather have something cheaper that holds more sentimental value and is unique/carved than a big rock. One of my favorite rings is just a simple wood carved ring my bf picked out for me on a trip.

ronitoswife said:
:|

Holy shit, I hope he has the money to pay for that and not be financially crippled. That's a new car or a down payment on a small house she's gonna be wearing on her finger.

We spent probably between 20 - 25k on EVERYTHING for our wedding (rings, dress, flowers, photos, venue, tons of random shit we never considered). Sometimes I think about what we could have put that money towards instead but then I think of how fun our wedding was and how perfectly it went and I'm glad we did it.

Zoe

Okay girls, any of you ever use that tape you can put on button-up shirts to close up the gaps? How is it, and where could I find it?

Tired of these safety pins :\

ronitoswife said:

Holy crap! I'll be surprised if I ever get one that's more than 600 bucks. I much prefer silver to gold and I don't really like diamonds. I'd rather have an amethyst or garnet or something. Personally, something crafted just for me with my taste in mind would be much better.

Ashes

Banned
Isn't the ring supposed to be in relation to earnings? If you can buy a 25,000$ ring maybe it might be within your pay grade.

Zoe

Ashes1396 said:
Isn't the ring supposed to be in relation to earnings? If you can buy a 25,000$ ring maybe it might be within your pay grade.

3 months salary, supposedly.

(or 3 years if you're Michael Scott)

kturtle0313

Neo Member
Zoe said:
3 months salary, supposedly.

(or 3 years if you're Michael Scott)

I don't think we even spent one week's salary on a ring... but I don't wear my ring and my husband probably knew I wouldn't. I like it though :D We didn't spend much on a wedding either. 15 people, at my parent's house, 10 minute ceremony. But we loved it since it was like the whole day was being with all the people we love the most.

suzu

Wow. That's a lot of money spent on rings and weddings. I'd rather put that money to other uses... but good for the couple I guess, if they can afford it. Seems too extravagant for me.

ronitoswife

Neo Member
Devolution said:
I'd rather have something cheaper that holds more sentimental value and is unique/carved than a big rock. One of my favorite rings is just a simple wood carved ring my bf picked out for me on a trip.
I agree. Our rings are titanium bands that my brother made. On our 10 year anniversary we've talked about maybe getting me another ring. It will be a simple band and the stone for the month we were married and each of our birthstones. That says more to me than a big ring that will just get in the way.

Kisaya

cooljeanius said:
Oh right, I was going to ask you, what's your opinion on those? Do you like wearing it? I think they can be stylish depending on how they're worn, and are a good alternative to some of the other, more restrictive coverings women wear in some Islamic countries, such as the burqa and niqab.

Yeah I like wearing it. My parents aren't so strict with me about it, they just want me to dress as "modest" as I can so that people don't gossip. I think if it weren't for the fact that they cared what other people said, then I would have maybe a bit more leisure since my parents are much more moderate than the traditional Yemeni family. I don't wear the long dress garments (we call it an abiyah) even though most Yemeni girls I know wear them. And yeah, I try to dress as stylish as I can and my parents don't have a problem with it. In fact, my mom likes it when I try to make myself dress better :)

VelvetMouth said:

I didn't at all, but I made an effort to spend my money on things people would enjoy and remember (amazing food, chocolate fountain) rather than dumb stuff that no one would care about after the fact (flowers, favors). I ended up having a wedding that was huuuge and fun and sort of decently decorated rather than it being this ridiculous, stuffy, aristocratic kind of wedding that would have been expected out of my parents. It was the big, noisy A-rab adding I dreamed of as a little girl :).

cooljeanius said:

I hope kisaya doesn't mind me jumping in to answer this, but I used to wear hijab myself. I stopped when I rethought my stance on the matter (my parents brought it up to me interestingly enough, and my mom still wears a scarf) and decided it wasn't a requirement and it imposes a barrier in this country--you can achieve modesty without it. But I have great love and respect for my girls who do wear it. It was difficult sometimes but not as much as people think. It's only difficult in that it's hard to find a good hijab to match an outfit sometimes or trying to put together a cute outfit without ruining it with like a jacket and a shirt underneath and pants and whatever else. It's hard to dress modestly in this country, even without a scarf :( I almost look weirder now wearing a t-shirt under a strapless dress or whatever because it was obvious why I did it when I had a scarf on, but people just assume I think I'm ugly or something.

Some of my friends do these gorgeous sort of updos with their hijabs and I love it. If you know what you're doing you can make it pretty fabulous. It doesn't have to be dreary burkas and jilbabs. Keep workin' it, Muslim gals :)

Kisaya

SouSouRocket said:
I hope kisaya doesn't mind me jumping in to answer this, but I used to wear hijab myself. I stopped when I rethought my stance on the matter (my parents brought it up to me interestingly enough, and my mom still wears a scarf) and decided it wasn't a requirement and it imposes a barrier in this country--you can achieve modesty without it. But I have great love and respect for my girls who do wear it. It was difficult sometimes but not as much as people think. It's only difficult in that it's hard to find a good hijab to match an outfit sometimes or trying to put together a cute outfit without ruining it with like a jacket and a shirt underneath and pants and whatever else. It's hard to dress modestly in this country, even without a scarf :( I almost look weirder now wearing a t-shirt under a strapless dress or whatever because it was obvious why I did it when I had a scarf on, but people just assume I think I'm ugly or something.

Some of my friends do these gorgeous sort of updos with their hijabs and I love it. If you know what you're doing you can make it pretty fabulous. It doesn't have to be dreary burkas and jilbabs. Keep workin' it, Muslim gals :)

Yeah this hahaha. Luckily I've been pretty successful though, especially since cardigans are in style and are seasonless. It's just the hijab that I have problems with, I had this problem today too with an outfit LOL. I'm currently trying out different styles, but looking at the tutorials on youtubes I need a lot more head pieces than I already have lmaoo.

Can you get away with using regular neck-scarves as hijabs, or is better to get scarves that are specifically made to be hijabs? I remember one time my mom was wearing a regular scarf around her neck, and I had her put it over her head to see what she would look like if we lived in a Muslim country, and I thought it worked okay as one.

Kisaya

cooljeanius said:
Can you get away with using regular neck-scarves as hijabs, or is better to get scarves that are specifically made to be hijabs? I remember one time my mom was wearing a regular scarf around her neck, and I had her put it over her head to see what she would look like if we lived in a Muslim country, and I thought it worked okay as one.

It's only better to get the scarves made to be hijabs because it's easier to put on. I have a few that aren't and as much as I love how they look, they get so annoying to put on (and to stay on too!) I think I really just need better head pieces hahaha

ronitoswife said:

I don't get the thing with Diamonds either. I mean, they are really pretty and sparkly, but knowing how much of a rip off they are with the inflated prices, as well as their questionable background, kinda makes them a bit less appealing. I would be equally as happy with that stone that looks just like a diamond but isn't. (You know what I'm talking about?) It doesn't make a difference to me, as long as it looks pretty and isn't too pricey. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something that expensive. I loose everything..

Also, does anyone else think most male colognes smell the same?

Mr.Fresh

Ok I want a girls opinion on this so ill just ask it here. I have a family member who is 22, not ugly at all, not overweight, has a good job and everything. But all he does is work (from his computer.) And play games all day. He barely leaves the house, if we mention going to meet new people or chill with new people he will immediately bail and say he is staying in the house. He always mentions he wants a gf. But never makes an effort to even talk to a girl. He's just sitting around letting life pass him by everyday doing nothing. Anyone know a way I could atleast help him break out of his shell? I just don't want him to regret wasting his young years when we are old.

Edit More info: He doesnt care about clothes and hasnt bought clothes in 4 years. Barely gets hair cuts or brush his hair (We're black!). Me and my bro finally decide to try an help (since he always expresses he wants a girl.) but we dont know how.

cooljeanius said:

Pakistani women sort of do this but it doesn't end up being wide enough or the right material to cover all of your head very well. Scarves that are made for hijab are usually much wider and thicker (or thinner if it's a winter scarf) and are made to be able to sit on your head--most neck scarves are not good for that, in my experience.

Ace_235 said:
Ok I want a girls opinion on this so ill just ask it here. I have a family member who is 22, not ugly at all, not overweight, has a good job and everything. But all he does is work (from his computer.) And play games all day. He barely leaves the house, if we mention going to meet new people or chill with new people he will immediately bail and say he is staying in the house. He always mentions he wants a gf. But never makes an effort to even talk to a girl. He's just sitting around letting life pass him by everyday doing nothing. Anyone know a way I could atleast help him break out of his shell? I just don't want him to regret wasting his young years when we are old.

Edit More info: He doesnt care about clothes and hasnt bought clothes in 4 years. Barely gets hair cuts or brush his hair (We're black!). Me and my bro finally decide to try an help (since he always expresses he wants a girl.) but we dont know how.

This isn't really a problem that you need a girl's opinion on, unless you and your brother don't know how to dress nicely and take care of yourselves either (sounds like that's not the case). He needs to take better care of himself and start trying to be more social but you can't force him to do it if he doesn't want to. Why don't you sit down with him and have a talk? Tell him if he actually wants a gf there have to be some changes. If he doesn't want to make the effort, it's his loss.

At any rate, there is a LadyGAF advises manGAF thread for this kind of thing if you insist on getting more women's opinions :p

Ace_235 said:
Ok I want a guys opinion on this so ill just ask it here. I have a family member who is 22, not ugly at all, not overweight, has a good job and everything. But all he does is work (from his computer.) And play games all day. He barely leaves the house, if we mention going to meet new people or chill with new people he will immediately bail and say he is staying in the house. He always mentions he wants a gf. But never makes an effort to even talk to a girl. He's just sitting around letting life pass him by everyday doing nothing. Anyone know a way I could atleast help him break out of his shell? I just don't want him to regret wasting his young years when we are old.

If it's a relationship he wants he should probably know that he most likely won't get one being the way he is. He has to start being more out-going and taking risks. As it was said, you should just tell him he needs to get off his ass if he wants a girl, it's not just going to fall into his lap.

Can't help those that don't want to help themselves.

hookers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom