• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I don't mind wearing a bra so much. The only time I'm not wearing one is when I'm asleep and can sleep on my chest. Otherwise it begins to hurt too much if I go without, just from the hanging. I'm a D cup, so I'm not huge but I'm not small enough for it to be comfortable either. But like I said, I hardly even notice my bra when it's on. It is only uncomfortable if I have to sleep in it.

tigerin

Lissar said:
I don't mind wearing a bra so much. The only time I'm not wearing one is when I'm asleep and can sleep on my chest. Otherwise it begins to hurt too much if I go without, just from the hanging. I'm a D cup, so I'm not huge but I'm not small enough for it to be comfortable either. But like I said, I hardly even notice my bra when it's on. It is only uncomfortable if i have to sleep in it.

a D cup is not huge!?!? e-stats or something? lol

Lissar

Reluctant Member
tigerin said:

Slightly above average? I'd consider someone getting into "huge" territory when they're G cup or over. I feel bad for the girls who have that size. I can just imagine the back pain they must have.

Lissar said:
Slightly above average? I'd consider someone getting into "huge" territory when they're G cup or over. I feel bad for the girls who have that size. I can just imagine the back pain they must have.

I'll just be over here in my Itty Bitty Titty Committee.

BladeWorker said:
Either
1) She doesn't believe that you actually think she looks better without it
or
2) She just feels better about herself with makeup on and therefore that trumps what you think

It's actually a bit of 1 and 2 and yeah i don't actually mind that this is the case. It's just sometimes i feel like i'm seeing a completely different person to what she sees in the mirror (i think this may actually be the case lol).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
SolKane said:
My ex used to always take her bra off the first thing she did when coming to my apartment. She hated wearing bras, she would always tell me. Terribly uncomfortable. But that's OK, I said, I hate it when you wear a bra too.
dj.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA, so true.

Egnirys

tigerin said:
Also depends on the back measurement. You can have a 30 band size and be a D cup but to other people look no larger than someone who has a 34 band size and a B cup.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
That's true too. Cup size does not necessarily mean you look like you have a huge chest. I actually thought I was a B cup for the longest time until I was properly measured. Imagine my surprise. I just thought bras were naturally uncomfortable and wondered why we were being tortured for having things on our chest.

edit: Ads for padded panties, ahahaha. Somehow that's even worst than padded bras.

tigerin said:

Guys seem to have a weird impression of bra sizes. I was measured up (at the corsettiere) as a C cup, for example, yet my boyfriend always ALWAYS asks "Are you sure it wasn't a mistake and you're actually and A cup?" and honestly, my breasts are tiny. But if I wear a B cup the wire cuts in around the sides.

Devolution said:
I'll just be over here in my Itty Bitty Titty Committee.

Its okay. *cries* I have come to terms with never being able to get cleavage...

Thoraxes

Does the number size have a direct correlation on the size of your breasts though? I thought the number correlated to the distance around the area under the breasts and the cup the area including the breasts. Or can you have small breasts, but a larger chest circumference, which would result in a larger cup anyways?

Thoraxes said:
Does the number size have a direct correlation on the size of your breasts though? I thought the number correlated to the distance around the area under the breasts and the cup the area including the breasts. Or can you have small breasts, but a larger chest circumference, which would result in a larger cup anyways?

No, not really. The number correlates to the length the band around your chest (under the cup I think). So I don't think a larger band necessarily = larger cup size, though I suppose larger girls tend to have larger breasts.

tigerin

Lissar said:

oh...okay. i used to think a B cup was a good size. guess i got to raise my standard a little bit more. =)

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm pretty sure the number is only the band size (so the measurement under your breasts only.) A lot of women will mistake their cup size and get a larger band size instead, but unfortunately this means that the cup will not fit correctly. The bra won't be too big or small to wear, but it does lead to it being uncomfortable. So it doesn't have anything to do with the size of your breasts, but cup sizes will look much different on people of various sizes (even if they have the same amount of breasts.) I'm no breast-ologist though, so I can't say for sure if this is correct.

Lissar said:
I'm pretty sure the number is only the band size (so the measurement under your breasts only.) A lot of women will mistake their cup size and get a larger band size instead, but unfortunately this means that the cup will not fit correctly. The bra won't be too big or small to wear, but it does lead to it being uncomfortable. So it doesn't have anything to do with the size of your breasts, but cup sizes will look much different on people of various sizes (even if they have the same amount of breasts.) I'm no breast-ologist though, so I can't say for sure if this is correct.

No you're right about that. If a woman is smaller breasts appear to be bigger on her, where as say on a larger woman they're more spread out so they don't come forward as much.

Egnirys

The number is just your band size so the area under the breast. The cup size is the proportion of the fullness of the breast to the band size. You measure around the apex to determine the proper cup size in proportion to the band size. A 30F is not going to look like a 36F...

tigerin

Devolution said:
No you're right about that. If a woman is smaller breasts appear to be bigger on her, where as say on a larger woman they're more spread out so they don't come forward as much.

nom nom nom....

okay, i'll quit messing with you guys(or gals) and leave this thread. lol nice talking with y'all. =p

All this talk about breasts is making me a bit depressed. haha. I just bought these bathers in preparation for summer. They are incredibly cute, but unfortunately I'm not filling them out as nicely as the model is :p

SRG01

Lissar said:

Well, from what I've heard from a (female) friend ages ago, you can reduce the band size by two inches and increase the cup size by one, and vice versa. EX. 34B <-> 32C. I could have the numbers reversed though. The apparent purpose of this "trick" was to fit in different bra types...

Egnirys

From what I've been told by bra fitters that doesn't work. The cup is not going to sit properly against the breast and the bridge between the cups won't be sitting against the breast bone.

SRG01

Egnirys said:
From what I've been told by bra fitters that doesn't work. The cup is not going to sit properly against the breast and the bridge between the cups won't be sitting against the breast bone.

That's what I told my friend too, but she said otherwise.

I think your friend might be mistaken.

Egnirys said:

Does anyone else get a red mark from the bra there sometimes?

SRG01

Also, speaking of makeup earlier: is makeup a good Christmas present, or is that something my GF should buy for herself?

shanshan310 said:
All this talk about breasts is making me a bit depressed. haha. I just bought these bathers in preparation for summer. They are incredibly cute, but unfortunately I'm not filling them out as nicely as the model is :p

I feel your pain. what a bummer, that IS cute.

Does anyone else not like wearing rings/bracelets? I can't STAND the feeling of having things fitting tightly around my wrists/fingers. I used to wear rings but I stopped because sometimes I'd have a really hard time getting them off. I just feel encumbered by these type of jewelery. I don't even like wearing a watch.

Is that weird?

ugh, I know what you mean. They fall off all the time and get in the way. Rings I have to take off anytime I wash my hands, so I don't really see a point in wearing them. I change up my earrings a bit, and I've got a necklace that I just leave on unless I'm swimming/ going out somewhere special. But otherwise I'm not a jewellery person.

SRG01 said:
Also, speaking of makeup earlier: is makeup a good Christmas present, or is that something my GF should buy for herself?

I think it is. :D As we were discussing before makeup goes off pretty quickly, so even if you get her something she already has she'll be needing more soon anyway. If you're going for something coloured you might want to figure out which colours she likes/ suit her skin.

Egnirys said:
Different styles of bra fit differently and different brands cut their cups differently. VS, for the longest time, had much more narrow cups than some other brands, and only recently widened the cut (up here in Canada, anyhow).

That being said, if we're talking about two differently sized bras of the same cup style and brand, then it is indeed the case that shifting the cup size for a smaller band size does not work.

At least, not without some strange looking red marks on your sternum and ribcage fat.

Ducky_McGee said:
I feel your pain. what a bummer, that IS cute.

Does anyone else not like wearing rings/bracelets? I can't STAND the feeling of having things fitting tightly around my wrists/fingers. I used to wear rings but I stopped because sometimes I'd have a really hard time getting them off. I just feel encumbered by these type of jewelery. I don't even like wearing a watch.

Is that weird?

Love hate relationship with rings. I like them but very few actually manage to stay put because my knuckles are the biggest part of my finger. So they get past the knuckle and just bounce around.

Egnirys

Does anyone else get a red mark from the bra there sometimes?
I've never had a red mark there but I found out recently that with strapless bras, some girls can be allergic to the plastic that is used to make the band sticky. A little random but I thought it was interesting when I was searching for a good strapless bra.

It can be hard given what your GF's skin tone can be and the right shades that would work for her (unless it's eyeshadow). My boyfriend bought me a $100 gift card to Sephora last year because he had the same idea but no clue what to get me.

SRG01 said:

Probably something best left up to her unless you know exactly what it is she uses and likes. I wouldn't mind getting some from my boyfriend but I doubt he pays enough attention to know exactly what it is I use on a regular basis, or what I need.

My purse is always really disorganized and he asked if I wanted a wallet or something to help keep my purse together and organized. Credit cards, cash, etc, all together and separate from all the random things I have floating around. It would be a great gift but there's absolutely no way he would know what I would like in that department.

Devolution said:
Love hate relationship with rings. I like them but very few actually manage to stay put because my knuckles are the biggest part of my finger. So they get past the knuckle and just bounce around.

They go on easy for me but my problem is by the end of the day they have a death grip on my finger. I wear necklaces and earrings though. I don't think I've ever owned a watch that I didn't lose, same with gloves. :(

I don't know why all the guys I know hate clothes shopping so much. It must be so easy for them. On one hand I'm jealous they can walk into just about anywhere and find their size and be in and out in 5 minutes. On the other hand women's fashion is just so much more expressive and fantastic. I wouldn't trade the variety for convenience any day.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I have a few 36C bras because finding them in my size in the store in a style that I like/looks comfortable is so incredibly hard (I'm very bra picky. I hate buying them online because you can't see/feel them first.) They are doable but I vastly prefer a properly fitted bra.

I too hate rings/bracelets. They feel very uncomfortable to me as well. And they just get in the way. Sort of an argument with my boyfriend there, since he wants me to have a traditional engagement ring even though I hate rings. We've sort of compromised with a ring on a necklace.

Call me naive, but where the heck are you guys going for bra fittings? Im pretty sure I should have done this ages ago but I've never come across a place that does it. My straps have been cutting into my shoulders for too long.

Fetts_Jets said:
Call me naive, but where the heck are you guys going for bra fittings? Im pretty sure I should have done this ages ago but I've never come across a place that does it. My straps have been cutting into my shoulders for too long.

I think most places that sell bras do fittings. I got mine done at a higher end department store, but you can also go to bra shops.

The trick is that the underwire should finish where the breast "finishes" around near the side of your chest. If your straps are cutting in your cup is probably too small.

yuna55

I always did my own fittings. There's plenty of websites that reference how to figure it out.

From (potentially awful) memory... Measure underneath the breasts. Add 5 to that number to get your band size. Measure loosely around the fullest part of the breast. Take that measurement, compare it to your band size. If its the same number, you're an AA, an inch larger, an A, and so on.

Edit: here's more in depth info:
http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
my mom's measured me for bra fittings in the past, she used to work at a boutique so she knows the art of bra fitting quite well.

when i was in the US in the summer i bought bras there because a good one is a lot cheaper in the US than they are here, but now i'm thinking that i need to go up a cup size. they spill out a bit over the top, which wasn't the case with the same bra size a while back, so i can only assume that they got bigger. :/ i've always worn 34D, and if you want to find any sizes over a D around here (especially with a small band size), you have to really look around. it's not like the US where they just cater to everybody, every size, everywhere. :/ (the same with shoes, actually.)

i don't get how my boobs are still growing. i'm 24 years old! it's mind-boggling.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
cloudwalking said:
my mom's measured me for bra fittings in the past, she used to work at a boutique so she knows the art of bra fitting quite well.

when i was in the US in the summer i bought bras there because a good one is a lot cheaper in the US than they are here, but now i'm thinking that i need to go up a cup size. they spill out a bit over the top, which wasn't the case with the same bra size a while back, so i can only assume that they got bigger. :/ i've always worn 34D, and if you want to find any sizes over a D around here (especially with a small band size), you have to really look around. it's not like the US where they just cater to everybody, every size, everywhere. :/ (the same with shoes, actually.)

i don't get how my boobs are still growing. i'm 24 years old! it's mind-boggling.

Preggers! ;)

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Boozeroony said:
Preggers! ;)

haha, this past week just proved that that's not possible... :p

i'm inclined to blame it partially on the hormonal birth control. i'd like to give my body a break from the hormones, but i just don't see a feasible alternative. i can't even get a non-hormonal IUD unless i've had one kid already.

cloudwalking said:
i'm inclined to blame it partially on the hormonal birth control. i'd like to give my body a break from the hormones, but i just don't see a feasible alternative.

I'm the same really. No other birth control is as easy, cheap, painless and effective.

You're not from the US?

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
shanshan310 said:
I'm the same really. No other birth control is as easy, cheap, painless and effective.

You're not from the US?

technically, no, but i have a US permanent resident card. i'm from canada and my parents live in the US, but i currently live in switzerland.

yeah, since i am married the idea of fiddling around with condoms and the like are laughable to me, and basically that means you're stuck with hormonal birth control unless you've had a kid already. some of the effects are favorable, but others (like the migraines)... not so much, heh.

yuna55

Just go off the birth control for awhile so you can make a teeny tiny cross section of yourself and Jarosh. I need a guarantee that my kid will meet another beautiful kid so that I will have cute grandbabies. :p

FoxSpirit

shanshan310 said:

You're not from the US?
Gynefix. Prolly the best there is.

edit: to elaborate, it's a copper chain. About as safe as the pill. Only thing I have heard is that you have to go to the right doctor or insertion can be painful. Deffy what I'd want for my gf.

Egnirys

I've had bra fittings at high end department stores and they always measured me at different sizes. I think because my size is so uncommon they fibbed so I would buy something they carried (my band size is 30 so no department stores near me go that small). I got fitted at a specialty lingerie store and the woman could just eye me and knew what size I was. She still measured me but it was crazy.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
lennedsay said:
Just go off the birth control for awhile so you can make a teeny tiny cross section of yourself and Jarosh. I need a guarantee that my kid will meet another beautiful kid so that I will have cute grandbabies. :p

jarosh mentioned to me that you'd posted on the bore that you're pregnant, and i have been meaning for a while to congratulate you! so congrats :)

we'll be adding a new member to our family soon enough, but he doesn't actually share any of our genes:

ScreenShot2011-11-13at60149PM.png

Zoe

cloudwalking said:
we'll be adding a new member to our family soon enough, but he doesn't actually share any of our genes:

Awww... he looks like he'll be fluffy like your others!

yuna55

cloudwalking said:
jarosh mentioned to me that you'd posted on the bore that you're pregnant, and i have been meaning for a while to congratulate you! so congrats :)

ScreenShot2011-11-13at60149PM.png
Thank you! Your new addition is already cuter than my lima bean lol

We have a furry new addition as well:

642e8ae0.jpg

:3 He's a pretty good boy, and he's so sweet. Brought him home and got the positive results the same day. (gulp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom