• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have huge feet and I am pretty clumsy, so heels are usually painful and I end up taking them off about 3 hours in so I can keep dancing.

EDIT: Did anyone see that episode of Jersey Shore this season where Snooki's bf left and they all roamed the streets looking for him! JWoww took her shoes off because they were killing her feet.. but she then walked through the streets of Florence barefoot. ._. For like two hours.

I love when a woman wears heels but it always boggles my mind how they don't hurt your feet.

my friend has said she hates wearing them and that the devil invented them haha.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I can walk in heels fine but I don't want to look freakishly tall plus heels can be so noisy sometimes, I hate that. Another reason why I think wedges are so much better.

I can walk in heels fine but I don't want to look freakishly tall plus heels can be so noisy sometimes, I hate that. Another reason why I think wedges are so much better.

Oh god the noise! I'll be trying to study in an empty hallway and some girl starts walking down it slowly making a loud *clack* with each step.

Who the hell thought heels would be a good idea. I've a question for chick gaf. Are a chicks ankle area designed to feel comfortable in that obtuse position for several hours? I wonder if some of you even treat it as exercise.

Satch

Banned
I love when a woman wears heels but it always boggles my mind how they don't hurt your feet.

my friend has said she hates wearing them and that the devil invented them haha.

my mother is like a lightfooted, heel-wearing butterfly and they don't bother her at all. she says its because she doesnt buy cheap heels

depending on the person, youre gonna have to spend more money to get more comfort

exceptions exist, however

Cheska

I am so jealous of you ladies who are pros at walking in high heels. Heels are just not my thing. I have some cute shoes, and I'll wear them if the occasion calls for it, but I'm miserable for most of the night. Sometimes I wish I was taller so I could get away with wearing flats.

Zoe

It hurts if you haven't worked the muscles that use them. I was in agony after wearing heels for a full day in Japan the other month.

tumblr_lsqykahwKj1qzsscz.jpg

High heels are sexy but mostly it makes me think of how uncomfortable it is.

I have not worn high heels. ok maybe once but I was drunk and fell and was laughed at

Heels are uncomfortable as hell. I only wore them once (male here btw) when I went dressed up for Rocky Horror midnight in NC once. I cannot see how women wear them and be comfortable.

Ashes

Banned
I really don't like to wear them that often since they do put a lot of pressure on the balls of your feet. I would not feel safe wearing them in any hint of snow or ice.

I used to wear them all the time in high school so that I could feel taller but having to walk across campus between classes made them not worth it anymore. I've finally come to terms with my 5'3" frame.

This is actually an issue?

5'3 is pretty good for a gal... Natalie Portman is 5'3, as is Audrey Tautou. And Mila Kunis... tons of others... and you can always wear heels.

of course I googled it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It hurts if you haven't worked the muscles that use them. I was in agony after wearing heels for a full day in Japan the other month.

That's exactly it, it hurts if you rarely wear them (which doesn't give an incentive for people to wear them that often, frankly. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to.) If you get used to it and don't wear cheap heels, it's not even noticeable. I feel stranger now wearing flats than heels, but I often get accused of being an idiot to suffer through the pain (even though they haven't hurt me since the first few weeks of trying it out.)

This is actually an issue?

5'3 is pretty good for a gal... Natalie Portman is 5'3, as is Audrey Tautou. And Mila Kunis... tons of others... and you can always wear heels.

of course I googled it.

My mom is 6' and my father is 5'10". Also, I was this height in 5th grade. Lets just say I thought I would be much taller :(

Whenever I wear heels I look like a newborn deer trying to stand (or a drunk Imperial Walker). Best to go with wedges for me.

Okay ladies, I can only focus on one for 2012. Left bicep, or right bicep?

Ignore the arms. I think you should go for one single ab. One perfectly defined square in a mound of pudding.

i think my dad is awesome and we get along really well. no one is a perfect parent, but he's a great person and a good man. his number one priority is to his family, and he always worked insanely hard to provide for us. i also know that if i'm ever in a tight spot that i can count on him to help me out. he gives good advice and has a good work and life ethic. i definitely respect my dad a ton, especially now as an adult.

i think a lot of it depends on the quality of the shoe... i have a lot of high heels and i've found the cheap ones without a stocky heel are generally harder to walk in because the construction of the shoe is poor. i tend to avoid shoes with a thin heel in the first place because the heel gets absolutely torn up in the area i live in (medieval city centre) with its old-style stone paved streets.

but shoes with a thin heel are definitely harder to learn to walk in. my tip for those is to take someone out for a walk whose arm you can grab if you are feeling unsteady. that way you save yourself the embarrassment of a potential fall. then just practice walking a bit. you'll likely still run into trouble if you come across some rough terrain, but learning to walk on paved streets and paths shouldn't be too hard!

edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention tai chi! when i started taking it my balance was horrendous. but i can now proudly say i can walk in any shoe, anywhere, because of it! maybe it's wrong to apply the balance principles of tai chi to walking in high heels, but at least i can't say it wasn't useful for me, haha :D

Are the stones in your town pretty uneven? Where I am some of it is still really flat but other parts between the stones not being perfect brick shapes and I guess just the ground itself moving them there are some parts (especially side streets) that are really uneven and I've almost tripped a couple times when walking in sneakers if I'm not paying attention. I don't know how anyone can walk through that in heels but maybe the older roads are better by you.

Zoe

That's exactly it, it hurts if you rarely wear them (which doesn't give an incentive for people to wear them that often, frankly. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to.) If you get used to it and don't wear cheap heels, it's not even noticeable. I feel stranger now wearing flats than heels, but I often get accused of being an idiot to suffer through the pain (even though they haven't hurt me since the first few weeks of trying it out.)

I'm tempted to wear high heels and go walk on a treadmill to get used to them. Being an Asian household and all, I don't really want to wear them indoors...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Are the stones in your town pretty uneven? Where I am some of it is still really flat but other parts between the stones not being perfect brick shapes and I guess just the ground itself moving them there are some parts (especially side streets) that are really uneven and I've almost tripped a couple times when walking in sneakers if I'm not paying attention. I don't know how anyone can walk through that in heels but maybe the older roads are better by you.

When I was staying in Germany it was mostly alright, but my boyfriend pretty much laughed at me for attempting old town in heels. I didn't know! I mean at least I had him to hold onto, but it was not fun times. I'll just have to go in flats next time. I love old town and it sucks not being able to enjoy it because you have to watch your feet.

I'm tempted to wear high heels and go walk on a treadmill to get used to them. Being an Asian household and all, I don't really want to wear them indoors...

That's actually a good idea. Beats wearing them when you actually have to go somewhere! I just worked my way up to higher ones. Actually the first time I tried it, it was with thinner two inch heels. They hurt so much I thought about quitting. But the shoes were cute and I didn't want to get rid of them... then I tried one inch chunkier heels and it was weird but not that bad. It didn't take too long before I was used to it. Then I was able to go with the two inch ones and found that they were actually more comfortable than I had remembered. It really is just a matter of building up that muscle.

Kisaya

no love for any nike shoes :( but yeah i have noticed that every girl has at least a pair of converse sneakers

nike sb's/dunks on ladies are :D :D

I actually really like nike... but I haven't bought a new pair in a while ;x People discourage me to buy from them all the time as well heh

Give me [classic black hi-top] Chuck Taylors or give me death.

Not really a shoe person meself.

edit: except knee-high boots. Those are fun.

In the late 80s I had the ugliest pair of hi-top Converse. They were super hi-tops that folded down to contrast the inner color (canary yellow) with the outer color (fluorescent orange).

I kinda wish I still had them, though.

Ashes

Banned
ha ha! awesome... I'm tired as hell from working all night, but whateves... I'll take a pic now I suppose... before I change my mind...

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Nike shoes are comfy as hell, but most are a bit too flashy for my taste. I do love the trainers/joggers/sneakers/whatever you call em in your country. I have at least 3 pairs from different brands. Its funny that I have them considering I am the quite girlygirl.

Philia

NEVER owned/wore a pair of high heels.

I've seen cankles making them awful to look at, and I inherited those too. So basically if you got gorgeous ankles, fuck yeah high heels.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me

there's a sort of open square behind the courtyard at the back of my building that is murder to walk on in heels. the rest of the area is pretty flat but the spaces between the paving are what tear up my shoes the most.

it's much worse in certain other cities though. walking around for an entire weekend in basel was ridiculously tricky in heels, i had blisters :( i give serious props to the ladies who manage there in high heels every day, i would not attempt again.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
This is reminding me of a pair of pink high-tops that I had as a child that had a DINOSAUR IN THE BOTTOM THAT WOULD LEAVE DINO-SHAPED FOOTPRINTS WHEREVER I WENT.

I miss those shoes.

That might be the worst and most garish color combination I've ever heard of.

Besides like...neon green and hot pink. A friend had that streaked in her hair once.

They are so ugly that I can't find a picture of them on the internet.

Would probably wear green and pink ones.

This is reminding me of a pair of pink high-tops that I had as a child that had a DINOSAUR IN THE BOTTOM THAT WOULD LEAVE DINO-SHAPED FOOTPRINTS WHEREVER I WENT.

I miss those shoes.

Those were awesome.

Ashes

Banned
To support glasses gaf

ChYTj.jpg

or to freestyle

kxTIh.jpg

That is the question... hmm.... That turned out as bad as expected... any help? before I jump into the other thread...

When I was staying in Germany it was mostly alright, but my boyfriend pretty much laughed at me for attempting old town in heels. I didn't know! I mean at least I had him to hold onto, but it was not fun times. I'll just have to go in flats next time. I love old town and it sucks not being able to enjoy it because you have to watch your feet.

That's actually a good idea. Beats wearing them when you actually have to go somewhere! I just worked my way up to higher ones. Actually the first time I tried it, it was with thinner two inch heels. They hurt so much I thought about quitting. But the shoes were cute and I didn't want to get rid of them... then I tried one inch chunkier heels and it was weird but not that bad. It didn't take too long before I was used to it. Then I was able to go with the two inch ones and found that they were actually more comfortable than I had remembered. It really is just a matter of building up that muscle.

Haha, ya that's where I am is Germany. I guess it depends, in the town I'm in it's really good the first 1/3 of the "hauptstrasse" which is the main street that all the stores are on and where it's a no car zone it's good but once you get further down where the clubs/bars are, and most are on sidestreets since they're only open at night, the roads become a lot worse to walk on. Two girls I meant when I was here I had to hold up because they were tripping, granted it was after we were drinking but they still had trouble earlier because a lot of the stones are uneven now.

there's a sort of open square behind the courtyard at the back of my building that is murder to walk on in heels. the rest of the area is pretty flat but the spaces between the paving are what tear up my shoes the most.

it's much worse in certain other cities though. walking around for an entire weekend in basel was ridiculously tricky in heels, i had blisters :( i give serious props to the ladies who manage there in high heels every day, i would not attempt again.

Ah, that's the same as here then I guess. It's just kind of funny because the worst roads to walk on are the side streets where all the clubs/bars are people go to and that's where girls would get dressed/wear heels the most. The older main streets aren't too bad where the big stores are but some even in sneakers you can feel the stones pushing into the bottom of your shoe because the angle they're at changed over time. I guess they repair the older style roads like that? I would think they have to since the busy/touristy part has much better roads then the smaller/university/library area of the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom