• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once read on IEEE spectrum how my major (Electrical Engineering) has the least number of females studying or enrolling in it. My graduating class had 2 girls.
My sister is an Architectural Engineer.

My sister is an Electrical Engineer. She had several other girls who graduated with her.

So what do you gals think of ClovingSteam's new "ManGaf advises LadyGaf" thread? I can't really recall anyone ever asking for one but I guess it's fair...

I hope it can stay on course and be useful ... but I feel it'll degrade into something stupid because some people wont be able to handle it.

Kisaya

is that a family thing? or a religion thing?

Both I guess.

Would your family not accept him if you were the girl in that situation?

Honestly, as "moderate" as they are, I don't think they will. My mom really stresses that she would prefer me being with a Muslim-born man than a convert, but my dad doesn't care for either, as long as he's Muslim. Even if I had a guy who was willing to convert to marry me, I don't think my mom (and probably my dad, can't say) would be satisfied. They would rather him be more serious into converting for the religion and not just for marriage.
To be honest this subject bothers me a lot when I think about my future. I'm not gonna lie, it sorta scares me too.

The latter. Religion is family to most people of our collective ethnicity.

I dated, lived with, and proposed to a white atheist over the span of three years. I never told my parents because it would literally kill them.

They knew of her, and they probably knew something was going on, but as long as it wasn't said, it could be brushed aside. That's how this culture works with some people. I feel like newer generations are probably going to be better about it, but our generation still has to suffer a lot of it.

Hah, you're lucky that you got away with it at least. Most Muslim families do that, just brush aside girls that their sons date. However most Muslim girls get into much more serious situations if they were caught with a guy.

I never knew that guys really cared about personal style for fashion lmaooo. I guess that's good to know haha

Oh it matters what a girl is wearing to me. At least to a certain degree. I have a friend who I'm interested in, and she tends to wear sweaters and jeggings (I didn't even know what this was till I started talking to her), and somehow she makes it work.

Kisaya

Oh it matters what a girl is wearing to me. At least to a certain degree. I have a friend who I'm interested in, and she tends to wear sweaters and jeggings (I didn't even know what this was till I started talking to her), and somehow she makes it work.

I always knew that guys cared about what a girl was wearing, but not so much that they want someone who doesn't follow trends and makes their own. I mean, I know I don't dress bad but I don't really take the time to make an outfit/style my own (excluding the scarf, i guess lol).

I always knew that guys cared about what a girl was wearing, but not so much that they want someone who doesn't follow trends and makes their own. I mean, I know I don't dress bad but I don't really take the time to make an outfit/style my own (excluding the scarf, i guess lol).

Trends are fine. Sometimes following them to a T aren't great. Like, chicks in Washington would do this whole northface jacket, sweatpants, and furry boots combo. And tons of them did it. It's not an end all be all, but it does ramp up excitement and interest if she's wearing something interesting that isn't attention-whorish, if that makes sense.

Boss Man

I honestly don't think most guys notice fashion at all. I mean, obviously what you wear can have a big impact on how you look, but as far as mixing and matching, brands, committing some kind of faux-pas...I really don't think many guys are going to notice.

I honestly don't think most guys notice fashion at all. I mean, obviously what you wear can have a big impact on how you look, but as far as mixing and matching, brands, committing some kind of faux-pas...I really don't think many guys are going to notice.

Yep. It's more of a general thing, in my experience. Like personally -- I dislike the giant sunglasses thing. But fuck if I care what brands they are.

Outside of the northface thing, I never notice the brand. You could buy your clothes from Walmart and it wouldn't matter as long as you made it work for you.

Boss Man

Yep. It's more of a general thing, in my experience. Like personally -- I dislike the giant sunglasses thing. But fuck if I care what brands they are.
Yeah the obvious things do send messages. I think the furry boots (I'm a fashion idiot, but again, I think most of us are) are really sexy for some reason. The big sunglasses are cute too, but they became annoying after they got so popular and you stopped seeing anyone's face.

My only limit for clothes is that it not look like something someone on Jersey Shore would wear.

Sweatpants, man, whatever. That's fine.

Sweatpants that say "JUICY" on the back in bedazzled letters? Too far.

SRG01

I once read on IEEE spectrum how my major (Electrical Engineering) has the least number of females studying or enrolling in it. My graduating class had 2 girls.
My sister is an Architectural Engineer.

I'm an EE as well, and it (EE/CE/EngPhys) has historically been a very hard field for women to break into. I think a part of it has to do with the perception of the field -- lots of lab work and not a lot of interaction.

Boss Man

I'm a senior in Computer Science and I have seen two girls in all of my classes. One of them was a Math major, I think the other one may have dropped out. Maybe it's because they know they will have a hard time in the field since they can not use the Internet (because they are girls).

Jin34

I may have asked this here before, but I am spacey and forgetful, so bear with me; has any of GirlGAF bought GAF shirts? I finally have the money to jump on a couple and I just need to know if the sizing is right.

5'6", 122~ lbs, usually wear medium but I don't own any AA babydoll tees to be able to compare.

edit - oh man, sausage fest up in here :<

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I may have asked this here before, but I am spacey and forgetful, so bear with me; has any of GirlGAF bought GAF shirts? I finally have the money to jump on a couple and I just need to know if the sizing is right.

5'6", 122~ lbs, usually wear medium but I don't own any AA babydoll tees to be able to compare.

Hit up an AA store and try something on, maybe?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There you are!

Back from your adventures and this is your first stop.

I see how it is.

I'm still in NY, actually; cancelled my return ticket in order to take care of some family stuff up here before I head back.

Had to postpone a hot date, too. Dammit ;b

I did ^^ I bought a small (I generally wear between XS - M). What I did was get one of my tighter fitting t-shirts and measure the length across the bust and the height, and compared it with the sizes on the size. Worked out pretty well for me.

Buying shirts online can be hard. First time I bought one my mother told me "If in doubt, go a size up". I ended up with this huuuuge shirt that was too ridiculous to wear. So be careful.

Honestly, as "moderate" as they are, I don't think they will. My mom really stresses that she would prefer me being with a Muslim-born man than a convert, but my dad doesn't care for either, as long as he's Muslim. Even if I had a guy who was willing to convert to marry me, I don't think my mom (and probably my dad, can't say) would be satisfied. They would rather him be more serious into converting for the religion and not just for marriage.
To be honest this subject bothers me a lot when I think about my future. I'm not gonna lie, it sorta scares me too.
That's a shame to hear. I hope everything works out for you.

daffy

Banned

Yes, I have 3 and also wear medium. They are slim cut, huggy shirts. AA sizing is off, its like they jump in half sizes or something idk.. a M feels like a S, so I got a L and it feels like a M after a wash. by now they're like an S almost, still wearable but they just barely cover the waist. No reaching for that last jar of nutella if you catch my drift... Still looks hot though, they really are attractive tees, just not really wearable for any sort of activity like dancing or anything imo.

My favorite is the penguin one, even though i got tired of the anime lol.

SRG01

Yes, I have 3 and also wear medium. They are slim cut, huggy shirts. AA sizing is off, its like they jump in half sizes or something idk.. a M feels like a S, so I got a L and it feels like a M after a wash. by now they're like an S almost, still wearable but they just barely cover the waist. No reaching for that last jar of nutella if you catch my drift... Still looks hot though, they really are attractive tees, just not really wearable for any sort of activity like dancing or anything imo.

My favorite is the penguin one, even though i got tired of the anime lol.

You can layer it with a longer tank/shirt underneath if it's too short for dancing...

I did ^^ I bought a small (I generally wear between XS - M). What I did was get one of my tighter fitting t-shirts and measure the length across the bust and the height, and compared it with the sizes on the size. Worked out pretty well for me.

Buying shirts online can be hard. First time I bought one my mother told me "If in doubt, go a size up". I ended up with this huuuuge shirt that was too ridiculous to wear. So be careful.

Didn't you get an awesome shirt?

S.Dedalus

I got the plane/sunset shirt (AA). I usually wear a medium (5'5", about 140 lbs), just because tight shirts make me feel weird. The medium AA fits really well. It's maybe an inch or two too long, but everything else is great. I also got the dinosaur one (can't remember what the other brand was, but this one wasn't AA), same size, and it's way too big. So that shirt's been relegated to pajama status.

And no one has recognized either of them out in public =/

Yes, I have 3 and also wear medium. They are slim cut, huggy shirts. AA sizing is off, its like they jump in half sizes or something idk.. a M feels like a S, so I got a L and it feels like a M after a wash. by now they're like an S almost, still wearable but they just barely cover the waist. No reaching for that last jar of nutella if you catch my drift...

Avoiding Nutella is sacrilege. Wash your clothes in cold water and hang them to dry. They'll shrink less.

Leeness

Nutella is god. There is really no other explanation for it.

Also, since the page is long gone, thanks for the reply in the men > women advice thread, Lissar :)

Both I guess.

Hah, you're lucky that you got away with it at least. Most Muslim families do that, just brush aside girls that their sons date. However most Muslim girls get into much more serious situations if they were caught with a guy.

Would you consider yourself very religious? Do you care what religion a man is really if he's good to you? How much of your concern is for your own feelings and how much of it is your worry over how your parents would react. If you fell in love with a non-muslim how do you think your parents would react?

On a different note. I met a guy not too long ago whose personality I just ADORE. Everything about him is just amazing. He's perfect. I have a boyfriend. I think he's perfect too but in a different, but equal way. It's a guy I work with so avoiding him is impossible. It's hard not to come off as flirty, at least in my mind even though nobody has accused me of that, because we just have so much in common and we work together a lot. He's just an awesome guy. If I were single I would TOTALLY go out with him, but I'm not.

I would/could never even imagine cheating on my boyfriend. I love what we have and wouldn't change it for anything. This is the first time in my life I've ever met someone else who gave me this sort of vibe. It's weird, and somewhat uncomfortable.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Nutella is god. There is really no other explanation for it.

Also, since the page is long gone, thanks for the reply in the men > women advice thread, Lissar :)

I hope it helps! I know how frustrating it can get. I think it's just a thing where you just need to keep trying until you find a person that fits you.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Would you consider yourself very religious? Do you care what religion a man is really if he's good to you? How much of your concern is for your own feelings and how much of it is your worry over how your parents would react. If you fell in love with a non-muslim how do you think your parents would react?

On a different note. I met a guy not too long ago whose personality I just ADORE. Everything about him is just amazing. He's perfect. I have a boyfriend. I think he's perfect too but in a different, but equal way. It's a guy I work with so avoiding him is impossible. It's hard not to come off as flirty, at least in my mind even though nobody has accused me of that, because we just have so much in common and we work together a lot. He's just an awesome guy. If I were single I would TOTALLY go out with him, but I'm not.

I would/could never even imagine cheating on my boyfriend. I love what we have and wouldn't change it for anything. This is the first time in my life I've ever met someone else who gave me this sort of vibe. It's weird, and somewhat uncomfortable.

Sounds like you may need to to eventually make a choice of how to deal with the situation. If things continue as they are that "vibe" may turn into something more disruptive.

Kisaya

I'm not really that religious. I have my faith, I don't eat pork, don't drink... that's pretty much it.
I honestly I don't care what religion a man has. Someone who has done good all their life outweighs their faith for me.
I really do worry how my parents will react... They've done a lot for me considering to what most Yemeni families treat their daughters. Because of gossip, marrying a non Muslim man will not only effect me but effect my whole family. Unfortunately my parents really value their reputation. It'll really kill me to see my parents hurt because of my actions, especially my mom.
For me to fall in love with a non Muslim man... I would really have to be serious about him to consider throwing away everything. My parents won't be happy at all lol. Unless something drastically changes in the future, it'll definitely be a fight.

Do white knights kill trolls?

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom