• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't it be? History shows us that when an overtly sexist thread pops up, the mods shut it down and hand out summary justice. You've been in the middle of enough of these frays to know that.

And, really, I don't even begrudge you for getting involved and telling them how stupid they're being. It probably needs to be said. But when you run back here to talk about how weary you are of forums when you're the one who actively decided to participate in the very threads that ruin your day (which is entirely avoidable, by the way), well...that's pretty transparent too.

I said it makes forums tiring, not my day, you and Duki seem to want to come after me though, that's cool.

Orayn

oh so its only patronising when someone tells you what an appropriate response to something is

not when you unilaterally decide what is acceptable or decent behaviour for absolutely everyone on the forum on absolutely every single social or moral issue that you have an opinion on

which is basically all you do here

ok cool

fact is you are 100% far too sensitive a human being if someone saying

"man, no girl should paint their eyebrows on thats retarded behaviour i mean no one thinks it looks good why do they sometimes do that"

on an internet forum

offends you enough so that a) you have to run to your little forum clique in a huff to complain about it

and b) it literally TOTALLY RUINS YOUR FORUM EXPERIENCE

like this is solid life advice im giving you here, you would literally enjoy your life far more if you were more chilled out and relaxed ok

yours is not a rational response to dudes talking about women painting their eyebrows on

This post is magic. I'm going to get a lithograph of it, frame it, and hang it on my wall.

dream

I said it makes forums tiring, not my day, you and Duki seem to want to come after me though, that's cool.

So one thread about girls who shave their eyebrows and redraw them with markers (that you don't even have to enter) somehow detracts from the enjoyment you have in the Girl-gaf thread. Or in the An-gaf advises Lady-Gaf thread. Or any other one of the hundreds of active threads that are going on at any given time. Okay then.

I don't see anything sexist about the eyebrow thread. It may be stupid, but it's not sexist. Making fun of some ridiculous looking eyebrows doesn't mean all women are idiots. There's really no reason to be outraged or offended.

dream

Dream, I think you're smart enough to know that's not the point.

I mean, look, I think that eyebrow thread was horrendously stupid and I think the OP knew exactly what he was going for when he posted it. I also know that dumb shit like that gets punished rather quickly on here. Going in there and bitching about how dumb it is just seems like you're giving OP and his ilk the attention they want.

Kisaya

So one thread about girls who shave their eyebrows and redraw them with markers (that you don't even have to enter) somehow detracts from the enjoyment you have in the Girl-gaf thread. Or in the An-gaf advises Lady-Gaf thread. Or any other one of the hundreds of active threads that are going on at any given time. Okay then.

It's not disappointing to see people discuss something that's offensive? It wasn't about just the eyebrows, it was "lets talk about stupid women quirks that make them look retarded." I would get frustrated too, it's shit that we see all the time in this forum. It's not our fault that we chose to participate in it, they shouldn't exist in the first place. She has every right to complain about it here.

I'd say something about the hypocrisy here but repeating something to make a valid point just might get me banned, no matter how valid the point.
It's not disappointing to see people discuss something that's offensive? It wasn't about just the eyebrows, it was "lets talk about stupid women quirks that make them look retarded." I would get frustrated too, it's shit that we see all the time in this forum. It's not our fault that we chose to participate in it, they shouldn't exist in the first place.
You realize there are many "Lets post about stupid American things" threads and "stupid X sports" threads that no one makes threads about to hate on though? I get frustrated, but I have 2 choices. 1) Post and get into a "hay your dumb" war. 2) Ignore the thread.

I choose 2) 95% of the time.

It's not disappointing to see people discuss something that's offensive? It wasn't about just the eyebrows, it was "lets talk about stupid women quirks that make them look retarded." I would get frustrated too, it's shit that we see all the time in this forum. It's not our fault that we chose to participate in it, they shouldn't exist in the first place. She has every right to complain about it here.

Hmm. That's a bit too idealistic/naive. It's a forum. On the internet. Inhabited mostly by males. It comes with the territory.

Hmm. That's a bit too idealistic/naive. It's a forum. On the internet. Inhabited mostly by males. It comes with the territory.

So you're saying we shouldn't fight it? That we should just accept it because 'that's the way things are'? Forums can be a better place. They don't always have to be people shitting on one another or being immature.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'd say something about the hypocrisy here but repeating something to make a valid point just might get me banned, no matter how valid the point.

You realize there are many "Lets post about stupid American things" threads and "stupid X sports" threads that no one makes threads about to hate on though? I get frustrated, but I have 2 choices. 1) Post and get into a "hay your dumb" war. 2) Ignore the thread.

Wait, are you saying that gender issues and disliking sports is equivalent?

What? Please tell me I'm misreading this...

On one hand, I can see where the ladies are coming from.
If someone posted a thread that was like "Whats up with black people and wearing their pants on their knees? Don't they know how retarded they look?" Or something along those lines, similar to the eyebrow thread, I'd be a little offended too.
On the other hand, I've seen black people look silly wearing clothes on many occasion so I know where they're coming from.
Either way I probably wouldn't post in the thread, nor would it really sour my mood at all.

Of course it doesn't, but it does here. Is Gaf the only forum available on the internet? No. I'm not saying it's right or excusable, I'm merely stating that it's a constant and always will be.

I don't think it needs to be a constant, either.

Communities can be trained to behave more civilly. It's not outrageous to say that some of the sexism from this board could easily be minimized from where it is right now.

Opiate

Sure, and that's cool - it's discourse. It just seems ridiculous for someone to act like a thread they chose to enter and participate in is ruining their forum experience.

This isn't how forums work. At least, that's not how good forums work.

Forums are made better places by good members actively trying to better the community. You don't better a community by ignoring all the terrible threads and letting them stink up the place; you better it by actively fighting back against bigotry, stupidity, and cruelty in various forms.

Kisaya

Not excusing those threads, but hey, whatever. I rather call someone out when they say something offensive about women to avoid "hey, why did this girl turn me down?" threads.

What's the point of a forum anyway when you just let everyone have one opinion on a thread.

So you're saying we shouldn't fight it? That we should just accept it because 'that's the way things are'? Forums can be a better place. They don't always have to be people shitting on one another or being immature.

Fight it all you want. It's your right, but it's a bit futile, no? It's fighting human nature. Like I said, this is how Gaf is; I'm positive that there are other forums out there that cater to your expectations to a greater degree. I'm not telling you to leave, but rather to be bigger and turn the other cheek.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not telling you to lie down and accept it. That would be wrong. I just think that, for now, that's the nature of this place. If you object, voice your opinion. If something merits action, it will be actioned.

Hey I wish there was peace on Earth, goodwill towards men, and the end of partisian politics. I mean it could happen, I'm not holding my breath.

And you won't help either, it seems.

If someone posted a thread that was like "Whats up with black people and wearing their pants on their knees? Don't they know how retarded they look?" Or something along those lines, similar to the eyebrow thread, I'd be a little offended too.
On the other hand, I've seen black people look silly wearing clothes on many occasion so I know where they're coming from.
Either way I probably wouldn't post in the thread, nor would it really sour my mood at all.

I don't think it was that thread by itself per se. There have been a lot of these lately, and it seems natural to me that she should be able to come back to a thread specifically for girls to vent about that.

Being less boorish has a lot to do with phrasing.

If the thread were titled "Do some women really draw in eyebrows?" even that would be less of a boiling pot.

What it comes off as is "Man, women, am I right?"

It's probably also worse because it managed to survive right next to the "bachelor party" thread and it was just a perfect storm of ugh.

dream

This isn't how forums work. At least, that's not how good forums work.

Forums are made better places by good members actively trying to better the community. You don't better a community by ignoring all the terrible threads and letting them stink up the place; you better it by actively fighting back against bigotry, stupidity, and cruelty in various forms.

Sure, but you know those threads only pop up on rare occasions and are quickly shut down. Let's not act like they're allowed to stay open and foster as everyone tries to one up each other to see who can be the most misogynistic.

Fight it all you want. It's your right, but it's a bit futile, no? It's fighting human nature. Like I said, this is how Gaf is; I'm positive that there are other forums out there that cater to your expectations to a greater degree. I'm not telling you to leave, but rather to be bigger and turn the other cheek.

I don't think turning a blind eye at all equates to being bigger here.

That sounds sadly like the argument they gave in that 'rape' thread a bit back. That women should accept that it's in men's 'nature' and is therefore a force of nature, unchangeable and we would just have to deal with it. You can contribute to making this forum better. Why don't these guys coming in here vent their annoyance on the idiots who start these stupid threads? Why are they hounding Dev for standing up to it?

Opiate

Sure, but you know those threads only pop up on rare occasions and are quickly shut down. Let's not act like they're allowed to stay open and foster as everyone tries to one up each other to see who can be the most misogynistic.

Part of the reason they're shut down so efficiently is specifically because of good posters' contributions. Devolution is rarely part of the problem -- instead, she's frequently a significant part of the solution. She brings terrible threads to our attention and confronts bad posters in a way such that they have to either 1) be quiet or 2) take the rope and hang themselves.

Devolution isn't perfect, of course. I have, on at least a couple of occasions, considered moderating her. She can be abrasive, by her own admission. But in general her presence on this forum and her willingness to address terrible, bigoted threads has been a significant contribution to this forum.

That sounds sadly like the argument they gave in that 'rape' thread a bit back. That women should accept that it's in men's 'nature' and is therefore a force of nature, unchangeable and we would just have to deal with it. You can contribute to making this forum better. Why don't these guys coming in here vent their annoyance on the idiots who start these stupid threads? Why are they hounding Dev for standing up to it?

I think its more along the lines of like, GAF is a huge forum and people are gunna be dumb sometimes. And since a lot of posters on GAF are dudes, some of that dumbshit is gunna be dude-related dumbshit.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Couples posting on GAF! I like the idea of you sitting together, back to back, laughing to yourselves while delivering justice.

Ha. Equating the two is a bit much. Excusing rape is idiotic; there's no two ways about it. I feel as if the ones objecting here are the Galileos - you may be right and in time we'll see, but you're going against the grain massively. Most evidently don't care or disagree. So, it's up to you to do whatever you want, just don't expect anything, I guess.

Agreed. Poor phrasing, but I think you know what I'm getting at (I hope).

I do understand what you mean, even though I don't agree with it.

I think the issue for people here is, we like GAF. We like GAFers, usually. It's just those times they become idiots and go off doing idiotic things that a lot of people don't like.

If they can be stopped or convinced not to do idiotic things, then that just makes things better and a more healthy experience here for everyone.

Agreed. Poor phrasing, but I think you know what I'm getting at (I hope).

At the very least then, you sound like you're adopting a passive stance because you think the enemy is too big to fight. If we all only involved ourselves in things that 'cater to our expectations' then we wouldn't make any progress at all. Discourse, ESPECIALLY in threads we find disagreeable, is necessary to effect any change. How can they know what they're writing is offensive if they're surrounded by nothing but other people that cheer them on?

Satch

Banned
If I've learned anything from having this discussion over and over again, it's that [many] men refuse to give themselves any sort of credit on this.

Keep an eye out for my new thread* entitled "Anti-intellectualism: Are Men Retarded?"

*i'm not actually making this thread

Opiate

Ha. Equating the two is a bit much. Excusing rape is idiotic; there's no two ways about it. I feel as if the ones objecting here are the Galileos - you may be right and in time we'll see, but you're going against the grain massively. Most evidently don't care or disagree. So, it's up to you to do whatever you want, just don't expect anything, I guess.

I don't see why you're not seeing this: I'm right here.

The women in here aren't going against the grain at all -- the sexist bigots are going against the grain. We have moderators on GAF, and unlike some other similar forums, we actually moderate.

I've been weeding the bigots out for months. Frankman just weeded himself out, too. Equality and fairness are not against the grain here on GAF. If someone thinks they are, they believe so at their own peril. I'm sure they aren't too concerned, of course. GameFAQs and IGNForums will welcome them with open arms.

At the very least then, you sound like you're adopting a passive stance because you think the enemy is too big to fight. If we all only involved ourselves in things that 'cater to our expectations' then we wouldn't make any progress at all. Discourse, ESPECIALLY in threads we find disagreeable, is necessary to effect any change. How can they know what they're writing is offensive if they're surrounded by nothing but other people that cheer them on?

I probably am. I don't think either of us can deny the immensity of the task at hand. I'm sure that, upon being brought to my attention, I would agree with 100% of your objections, but it's a fight - and I'm being completely honest here - that I'm never going to be that vested in. And I'm sorry if you view me as part of the problem, but I'm not going to sit here and mince words (even though it probably seems that I have been).

So, power to you.

I think its more along the lines of like, GAF is a huge forum and people are gunna be dumb sometimes. And since a lot of posters on GAF are dudes, some of that dumbshit is gunna be dude-related dumbshit.

Are you guys okay with threads like these, though? I liked your example from before about the "Whats up with black people and wearing their pants on their knees? Don't they know how retarded they look?" thread. Would you want a rash of these popping up all the time? Would you want people to brush you off because they say you don't get the joke or are taking it too seriously? It's not about lacking a sense of humor, it's about seeing something that's pervasive in society that shouldn't be and trying to fight it as much as possible.

I don't see why you're not seeing this: I'm right here.

The women in here aren't going against the grain at all -- the sexist bigots are going against the grain. We have moderators on GAF, and unlike some other similar forums, we actually moderate.

I've been weeding the bigots out for months. Frankman just weeded himself out, too. Equality and fairness are not against the grain here on GAF. If someone thinks they are, they believe so at their own peril. I'm sure they aren't too concerned, of course. GameFAQs and IGNForums will welcome them with open arms.

Apologies. I see you. I'm not trying to get banned. As has been pointed out, I'm adopting a passive stance, which obviously isn't going to achieve anything ultimately, so I'll stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom