• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Went to optometrist, most frames too big or too dark of color, sigh.

I've noticed this is the current style, and I don't like it at all. I prefer wire frames myself, though if I had to get new ones I suppose I could go with the no-frames frames.

SRG01

Went to optometrist, most frames too big or too dark of color, sigh.

Devo, clearlycontacts.ca frequently has cheap frames on sale. Not sure if they ship to the states, but you could easily get a Canada-friend to send them to you if that was the case.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
What's Girl-Gaf's opinion on fake glasses? My cousin wears thick-framed glasses with flat lenses. She says it's to cover up dark circles under her eyes.

I love wearing glasses and think they're cute, but I don't really understand wearing them if you don't need them. Worst thing about the ones in the photographs are they aren't even cute. But I guess these girls are going for dorky-cute which has sort of always been a thing in Japanese fashion.

What's Girl-Gaf's opinion on fake glasses? My cousin wears thick-framed glasses with flat lenses. She says it's to cover up dark circles under her eyes.

Ugh. Boo-fucking-urns. I can't not judge these people. Legit blindies like myself should only have frame privileges; it's just overly trendy and pretentious otherwise.

10+ years of wearing specs every single day of my life. No regrets.

So, I take it you don't like mine? Ouch, bro.

EDIT: it did just cost me around $450AUD to get my first pair of sunglasses the other day, however. I might regret that.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me

as a (real) glasses-wearer, people who wear glasses purely for fashion don't bother me at all.

ages ago, wearing jeans used to be associated with only blue collar workers and farmers, over the years that changed and now they're seen as fashionable. similarly, glasses used to be associated with nerdiness or awkwardness and it wasn't "cool" to wear them at all... so people only did who absolutely had to. the perception and image of glasses has changed now, so it's only natural that people have made them into a fashion statement. can't fault someone for wanting to look good!

I don't really understand the idea of wearing thick framed glasses unless you need them. When I find out someone is wearing non prescription glasses, something about it just makes me unable to ever take them seriously. If she really wants to cover up dark circles, she can drink more water and buy decent cover up make up. There has to be another reason for her to want to wear glasses.

edit: I've worn glasses/contacts for 12 years, and I can somewhat understand the want to wear them fashion wise (yes, I know I stated otherwise a few sentences ago) but I cant escape that feeling of judgment when I find out someone is wearing a fake pair of glasses.

What now, then?

Well the woman who helps with the frames is really awesome and said the rep from one of the frames designers is coming in Thursday and she went over what I like and what fits me, so she's going to peruse specifically for me. Great service goes a long way, I feel like gettin' her a gift or something.

Well the woman who helps with the frames is really awesome and said the rep from one of the frames designers is coming in Thursday and she went over what I like and what fits me, so she's going to peruse specifically for me. Great service goes a long way, I feel like gettin' her a gift or something.

Damn, that really is some kick-ass service. I assume you're not going back there until Friday or later then, right?

Way late with this, but I remember watching the Dark Harvest episode of Invader Zim and being horrified and shocked by it at the tender age of 11. Still loved the show and stayed up until 9:45 Friday nights just to watch it because of the weird timeslot they had it in.

The episode is about organ harvesting, so, uh, yeah. Then again, Nick was the channel that aired Ren & Stimpy.
Huh, then I guess you are not much older than me.

lexi

Banned
I hate having extremely poor vision, but I do like how glasses make me look. Or maybe I'm just like Daredevil and making the best out of my situation.

Yes, I have been comparing myself to Daredevil for years.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Huh, then I guess you are not much older than me.

Hahaha...

;.;

I read that and thought "Wait, wasn't I almost 18 when Invader Zim came out?" and sure enough... sigh, Aging-GAF.

My boyfriend at the time was totally into it because he loved Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

I wear contacts when I'm out and about.

Glasses right now though. Zenni optical<3

What you prefer? Rimless, half rim, thicker plastic tortouise shell? I'm a rimless girl myself but I think some of the thicker ones look really cute on some girls.

21/f/Earth

I didn't mean to make anyone feel old! :eek:

Personally, I dislike wearing glasses & contacts and wouldn't mind ridding myself of them forever. If only laser surgery were cheaper! (I mean, besides self-trained surgeons in grimy back alleys who'll perform it for $300.)

I'm younger than you. Oldie!

(by a year)

I thought you said you were 21!

*flees the country*

I thought she said she was 22. I misread her post. Nevermind. Twinsies!

I've got a question for GirlGAF. My roommate, my roommates dog, and I all started our periods around the exact same time. Mine's two weeks early. hers is a few days early (I think maybe. I can't remember what she said.) Might be earlier, and the dog is... I have no idea this is her first. WTF is this sorcery? Is it possible the dog could be putting us all out of whack with her puppy hormones?

SRG01

I thought she said she was 22. I misread her post. Nevermind. Twinsies!

I've got a question for GirlGAF. My roommate, my roommates dog, and I all started our periods around the exact same time. Mine's two weeks early. hers is a few days early (I think maybe. I can't remember what she said.) Might be earlier, and the dog is... I have no idea this is her first. WTF is this sorcery? Is it possible the dog could be putting us all out of whack with her puppy hormones?

Actually, there's some sort of biological mechanism that makes co-habitating women have their periods at around the same time. I can't recall the exact name off the top of my head though.

The dog part is definitely weird.

My eyes stopped liking contacts a few years ago, so now I'm stuck wearing glasses. Glasses aren't bad, but I'm super OCD about keeping them clean.

Actually, there's some sort of biological mechanism that makes co-habitating women have their periods at around the same time. I can't recall the exact name off the top of my head though.

The dog part is definitely weird.

It's called menstral synchrony. Some people will claim it's all horomones and so it wouldn't be too out of the realm of possibility for the dog to get caught up in that. Actually it would be...

Because it doesn't happen. At all. You just notice it when it happens from happenstance. Also you should consider spaying your dog.

Me too. If I get a fingerprint on mine or something and I don't have a soft cloth to clean them I freak out.
Microfiber clothes don't do it for me anymore. Typically they only seem to smudge up the lens more and aggravate me further, not to mention they can just end up scratching your lenses because of dust and other small particles. These days I just use soap and water to clean my glasses, which works way, way better than a cloth and any cleaning spray.

This YouTube video opened my eyes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v-eL0y-N5Y&list=FLzfkZAJGtGI58Q_bIPG4JWg&index=8&feature=plpp_video

It's called menstral synchrony. Some people will claim it's all horomones and so it wouldn't be too out of the realm of possibility for the dog to get caught up in that. Actually it would be...

Because it doesn't happen. At all. You just notice it when it happens from happenstance. Also you should consider spaying your dog.

But.... puppies. As someone who didn't own a dog until last year, the reason you'd sometimes see dogs with nappies always eluded me.

Also that is crazy.

But.... puppies. As someone who didn't own a dog until last year, the reason you'd sometimes see dogs with nappies always eluded me.

Also that is crazy.
As someone who volunteers at a shelter, trust me when I say the world has enough puppies right now already.

But there is tons of stuff to read about off time periods. But it is always just dietary, environmental, stress, or just plain randomness. It isn't about who you live with.

So I subscribe to The New Yorker, Harper's, National Geographic, and (lol) Game Informer, and somehow Cosmopolitan got my address and is now incessantly soliciting me to purchase their magazine. I assume one of the above four sold them my name/address.

I mean, I know I have a vagina and all, but fucking Cosmo???

lol

As you're probably aware, marketing departments solicit based on lists, not attitudes. If the letter 'F' appears next to your name, you get solicited for chick mags. They don't care how smart your other subscriptions would indicate you are.

So I subscribe to The New Yorker, Harper's, National Geographic, and (lol) Game Informer, and somehow Cosmopolitan got my address and is now incessantly soliciting me to purchase their magazine. I assume one of the above four sold them my name/address.

I mean, I know I have a vagina and all, but fucking Cosmo???
Game Informer probably did you in.
There are certain threads that are just not worth going into and theist/atheist ones are included.
Wise words indeed. Though I think another lesson to learn is to stay the fuck out of those threads especially if EviLore is participating in them. I'm assuming he was doing all the banning.

scitek

There's no way I'll go into those threads. They might as well have (Ban trap) in the titles. The couple of times I've been banned were each a month.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oh, poor Shanshan :< Yeah, I flat out just won't read any of the religion threads. I read threads on politics but I don't post since I'm afraid I might start posting irrationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom