• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

o_O I had no idea people did registries for babies... That seems so commercial/formal. The mom to be didn't mention any such thing anyway. Seems more of a casual thing. I know she already got a lot of the big ticket items from her husband's parents, so no need perhaps...? I have no idea about these things...

Yeah, it's pretty normal. All my friends have gotten it done at Target and Baby's R Us. One also did Amazon.

You can ask her. Some people don't want to advertise their registries in the invites because it comes off as greedy.

Satch

Banned
it hardly matters since they wont fit most of it for very long anyway

if you think the CD will be used, then get that

Yeah, it's pretty normal. All my friends have gotten it done at Target and Baby's R Us. One also did Amazon.

You can ask her. Some people don't want to advertise their registries in the invites because it comes off as greedy.

I did ask her, but she was vague and is pretty flighty. "This or that, you know. Baby stuff," was the gist of her reply. I don't want to look like a total weirdo when I go, but the idea of buying something so mundane as a onesie or a bib bothers me. I guess it is about whatever the kid needs, though. I saw a tiger hat that might work...

it hardly matters since they wont fit most of it for very long anyway

if you think the CD will be used, then get that

Maybe I'll get both: tiger hat and CD. That way at least one thing is 'useful'.

Thanks for the info/tips, guys.

I did ask her, but she was vague and is pretty flighty. "This or that, you know. Baby stuff," was the gist of her reply. I don't want to look like a total weirdo when I go, but the idea of buying something so mundane as a onesie or a bib bothers me. I guess it is about whatever the kid needs, though. I saw a tiger hat that might work...

How well do you know her? Get her some vouchers for a spa/massage visit. The gift doesn't necessarily need to be for the baby. She'll thank you later unless she's a jerk.

How well do you know her? Get her some vouchers for a spa/massage visit. The gift doesn't necessarily need to be for the baby. She'll thank you later unless she's a jerk.

This is also true. Who wouldn't want a massage after dropping a cannon ball (the kid is HUGE)? Good idea. Hmmm...

CleverGirl

Neo Member
My sister just had a baby and it seems like we never have enough burp cloths. But it is always fun to have something unique and cute for the new baby. So unless she does tell you that she wants something in particular, go with your first instinct.

SRG01

My sister just had a baby and it seems like we never have enough burp cloths. But it is always fun to have something unique and cute for the new baby. So unless she does tell you that she wants something in particular, go with your first instinct.

I agree with this. My sister has a newborn and I'm finding that little burp cloths and wipes are a godsend.

Burp cloths...? I'm learning new things today. If this is a needed baby thing, then I'll get this and the CD (and probably a spa thing for the mom). I'm sure the kid'll get tons of animal hats anyway. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

CleverGirl

Neo Member
Burp cloths...? I'm learning new things today. If this is a needed baby thing, then I'll get this and the CD (and probably a spa thing for the mom). I'm sure the kid'll get tons of animal hats anyway. :) Thanks for the suggestion!
Ha, yeah baby world is a complex and expansive universe. They are called burp cloths, but you need them in case the baby spits up while being burped, or anytime the baby spits up really.

Random question that has been frustrating the hell out of me: Why is the only clothing item being sold in stores right now those stupid dolman half-shirts?

pCHIC1-11124045v600.jpg

Every store I go into is packed to the brim with these things. I hate it because if you have a decent set of hips on you but you have a skinny waist, they cover up any shape you actually have and make you look about 20 lbs heavier than you actually are. I'm quite tall as well so even ones that aren't crazy baggy become extreme belly-shirts on those with longer torsos. Plus, lets be real - 90% of the women who wear those things do not have the body type for it. Can we please move on to whatever horrible fashion trend is next so I can actually find clothes that are half-way flattering again?

Ha, yeah baby world is a complex and expansive universe. They are called burp cloths, but you need them in case the baby spits up while being burped, or anytime the baby spits up really.

It all sounds strange and scary. My sister is trying for one right now so I'm going to let her be the guinea pig and mooch off her experience when it comes time for me (well, if it happens to me, anyway). I take it you live close to your sister to be able to pitch in with the 'burp cloth' thingies? If my sister ever does get a bun in the oven, I might have to consider moving closer to her to help out (LA to CT is too far to be of much use).

CleverGirl

Neo Member
It all sounds strange and scary. My sister is trying for one right now so I'm going to let her be the guinea pig and mooch off her experience when it comes time for me (well, if it happens to me, anyway). I take it you live close to your sister to be able to pitch in with the 'burp cloth' thingies? If my sister ever does get a bun in the oven, I might have to consider moving closer to her to help out (LA to CT is too far to be of much use).

My sister and I actually live together with our parents (she's a young mother). We all help. But as far as I can say, babies are pretty fun, especially once they get past that newborn stage- at that time they kind of just look like dolls. Its amazing to watch an infant develop into a complex human. My sister has said many times how grateful she is to have her family around her and I'm sure your sister would be grateful as well.

My sister and I actually live together with our parents (she's a young mother). We all help. But as far as I can say, babies are pretty fun, especially once they get past that newborn stage- at that time they kind of just look like dolls. Its amazing to watch an infant develop into a complex human. My sister has said many times how grateful she is to have her family around her and I'm sure your sister would be grateful as well.

Babies seem like curious little info sponges. I'm not terribly keen on kids really, but I figure getting to take part in the education of the small fleshy things to be an interesting and rewarding experience. So many things to teach them. So much potential. Is there anything particular that you want to teach/impress upon your niece/nephew?

But, all that may end up for naught if they don't have the proper support. And family is golden for that, or so I hear. Really good of you guys to all pitch in like that. 3 moms > 1. I'm not terribly close to my own (sister excepted), but she's one of those intrinsically good people... and yet has the worst luck, so I figure she could use me in her corner when the next disaster hits. They call me... insurance. ;)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
omg. I went to lurk Dark Souls and found girlgaf smushed up against TERA Online and BlazBlue. Sooo, when people troll the Black Culture thread, they get banned. When girlgaf gets trolled, they get cunt punted? lol. Thats embarrassing.
It takes severe buffoonery to get banned from the black culture thread. Shan was the last casualty, and that's because of her "exit strategy"

I'm just gonna stay out of this thread for awhile. I know when I'm not welcome. :(

Played a really good player who I think was a girl in fortune street online. I wish I could find more people (guys and gals) to play against in that game :(

CleverGirl

Neo Member
Babies seem like curious little info sponges. I'm not terribly keen on kids really, but I figure getting to take part in the education of the small fleshy things to be an interesting and rewarding experience. So many things to teach them. So much potential. Is there anything particular that you want to teach/impress upon your niece/nephew?

But, all that may end up for naught if they don't have the proper support. And family is golden for that, or so I hear. Really good of you guys to all pitch in like that. 3 moms > 1. I'm not terribly close to my own (sister excepted), but she's one of those intrinsically good people... and yet has the worst luck, so I figure she could use me in her corner when the next disaster hits. They call me... insurance. ;)

Well its good to be close to at least one person in your family, I think. I really want to teach my nephew the importance of science and how to respect the environment. I have a lot of soap box issues, but luckily they aren't at odds with my sister's ideals. I just want him to always question what is around him. (I secretly want him to be like the kid from that tv show Smart Guy.)

As for being insurance, that's what sisters are for (or so my mother says). Its really nice that you two are close.

Well its good to be close to at least one person in your family, I think. I really want to teach my nephew the importance of science and how to respect the environment. I have a lot of soap box issues, but luckily they aren't at odds with my sister's ideals. I just want him to always question what is around him.

As for being insurance, that's what sisters are for (or so my mother says). Its really nice that you two are close.

I'm about as close as you can get to my Mom and Dad, and I'm getting closer to my uncle and cousins on my Dad's side.

Kisaya

It actually feels like it's gotten more strange (unintentional?) guy traffic since moving here. I've been peeking in here pretty infrequently since the move, though, so maybe I'm just returning at choice moments...? :p

But back on topic...

Can any girls recommend a decent baby shower gift? I have no idea what to get that isn't going to be brought by 20 other women at the shower, and my own inclinations have me wanting to get the doughy creature some kind of puzzle toy or a classical music CD to play in its baby room. :/ I have no idea if these things are appropriate or even wanted by the mom for her offspring.

I'm not exactly the best gift giver but maybe you could give a gift card from a babiesrus or something similar ;o

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
As for being insurance, that's what sisters are for (or so my mother says).

Heh, that is so true! I have two older sisters and we are really close. It can get a tad annoying because sometimes they treat me like a teenager who doesn't know anything. :\ Being the youngest kid has its disadvantages like that!

Well its good to be close to at least one person in your family, I think. I really want to teach my nephew the importance of science and how to respect the environment. I have a lot of soap box issues, but luckily they aren't at odds with my sister's ideals. I just want him to always question what is around him. (I secretly want him to be like the kid from that tv show Smart Guy.)

Haha. The kid from Smart Guy? Nice. A deep-seated love of science, well, just a deep-seated sense of curiosity would do him well. Just present him with a different frog everyday and teach him the love of digging holes in the backyard. ;)

Sisters are totally insurance. I worry about mine a lot (as I said, she has terrible luck), so I'm keeping a close eye on this kid thing. I'm not even entirely sure she'll be able to have one. She has polycystic kidneys and both of hers are approaching the size of footballs. :(

I'm not exactly the best gift giver but maybe you could give a gift card from a babiesrus or something similar ;o

Always a good fall back gift. :)

Heh, that is so true! I have two older sisters and we are really close. It can get a tad annoying because sometimes they treat me like a teenager who doesn't know anything. :\ Being the youngest kid has its disadvantages like that!

Haha. I'm the youngest one, and yet I'm the one who ends up babysitting them (mom and sister). How old are you Inanna (if I may ask)?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Haha. I'm the youngest one, and yet I'm the one who ends up babysitting them (mom and sister). How old are you Inanna (if I may ask)?

mid 20s. My mum and I are best friends and she treats me like an adult more than my sisters. They treat me like I don't know any better. :p

yuna55

"Huh. When did they move the Girl thread to Community, Momma?"

"Huh?"

At least one of us is paying attention. :p

On a girly note, I just used the Neutrogena microdermabrasion system for the first time. It was only $20, where normally microdermabrasion kits are upwards of $50, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not too worried about wrinkles or aging yet, so I figured I wouldn't need an expensive kit. The skin on my face is extremely soft now. We'll see what the long-term results are...

SRG01

"Huh. When did they move the Girl thread to Community, Momma?"

"Huh?"

At least one of us is paying attention. :p

On a girly note, I just used the Neutrogena microdermabrasion system for the first time. It was only $20, where normally microdermabrasion kits are upwards of $50, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not too worried about wrinkles or aging yet, so I figured I wouldn't need an expensive kit. The skin on my face is extremely soft now. We'll see what the long-term results are...

What's the difference between microderm abrasion kits and the regular ones? I use a $8 generic one before I shave and it works wonders...

yuna55

What's the difference between microderm abrasion kits and the regular ones? I use a $8 generic one before I shave and it works wonders...

From what I've been reading, the difference between the kits are usually the texture/abrasiveness and attachments/different heads. The one I got is pretty gentle and it has disposable pads rather than something more permanent or semi-permanent. Since it's more gentle, the results don't last as long as the more coarse/thorough/expensive kits and don't works great on wrinkles or scars, but the side effects are much less noticeable (peeling, redness, etc). The wand in this kit vibrates and you physically move it in circles all over your face. The one my mom uses has a spinning head and permanent attachments, so no buying replacement pads every month or two. Some kits have two sizes of heads that attach to the wand, so you can use a smaller size for your face or use a a bigger size for your body. Mine just has one size for the face.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I have occasionally sat around in only my underwear, yes... it is one of the nice things about living on your own. No expectations! I can leave the bathroom door open if I want, hell yes!

But I haven't had a desk in... ages. I mean, aside from having a laptop now, even when I had a desktop I put it on the floor. I vastly prefer sitting on the floor to sitting on a chair.

SRG01

From what I've been reading, the difference between the kits are usually the texture/abrasiveness and attachments/different heads. The one I got is pretty gentle and it has disposable pads rather than something more permanent or semi-permanent. Since it's more gentle, the results don't last as long as the more coarse/thorough/expensive kits and don't works great on wrinkles or scars, but the side effects are much less noticeable (peeling, redness, etc). The wand in this kit vibrates and you physically move it in circles all over your face. The one my mom uses has a spinning head and permanent attachments, so no buying replacement pads every month or two. Some kits have two sizes of heads that attach to the wand, so you can use a smaller size for your face or use a a bigger size for your body. Mine just has one size for the face.

Wait, what? There's a wand involved? I was talking about that cream/face wash stuff with the little abrasives inside, haha.

But I haven't had a desk in... ages. I mean, aside from having a laptop now, even when I had a desktop I put it on the floor. I vastly prefer sitting on the floor to sitting on a chair.

You too? Hell, I'm sitting on the floor with my laptop right now. I don't even mind sleeping on the floor. I've done it at the homes of friends ever since high school.

yuna55

Wait, what? There's a wand involved? I was talking about that cream/face wash stuff with the little abrasives inside, haha.

haha, yea the kits come with a wand. Here's the one I have:

jj-2026_1.jpg

The textured blue pad basically velcros on and you throw it away afterward. It has some kind of soapy, gritty substance inside the pad, so when you wet it and start scrubbing, your face gets all sudsy.

SRG01

haha, yea the kits come with a wand. Here's the one I have:

jj-2026_1.jpg

The textured blue pad basically velcros on and you throw it away afterward. It has some kind of soapy, gritty substance inside the pad, so when you wet it and start scrubbing, your face gets all sudsy.

This is seriously the first time I've seen something like this. And I grew up in a household full of women.

yuna55

This is seriously the first time I've seen something like this. And I grew up in a household full of women.

I was probably in high school the first time I saw my mom using one, and my sister was a teenager when I was born so I thought I had seen every girly product under the sun. I think they've just gotten popular in the last 5 or so years, which is probably why you can finally find them for $20 now.

It's been like 5-6 hours since I used it, and my face still feels awesome. It tickles when you're using it, but it's not so bad. I found a 20 pack of replacement pads on Amazon for $10. Eh, considering I don't have to buy microdermabrasion cream because it's already inside the pads, that's not so bad.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
You too? Hell, I'm sitting on the floor with my laptop right now. I don't even mind sleeping on the floor. I've done it at the homes of friends ever since high school.

I'm sleeping on a thin futon-like thing right now. I really do prefer it to beds/chairs. My boyfriend hates it though so whenever we start living together it is likely we'll have a normal bed.

Ah well, as long as I can put my computer on the floor!

Actually barring the floor I like sleeping on couches as well.

I'm sleeping on a thin futon-like thing right now. I really do prefer it to beds/chairs. My boyfriend hates it though so whenever we start living together it is likely we'll have a normal bed.

Ah well, as long as I can put my computer on the floor!

Actually barring the floor I like sleeping on couches as well.

Couches are great too. Odd/painful story: The few times I've gone to conventions with a group of friends, I never wanted to get into the "who gets the beds" argument. So one year, I foolishly decided to pull the two armchairs in the room together, and use them as a makeshift bed.

Don't ever do that. Ever.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hmmmm... What is this thread in Community? Girls, I see. Okay, I like girls. Carry on.

So I got on OKC for match lulz, listed as seeing someone but I guess it's assumed I'm trying to trade up or something. The messages I've got so far range from hilariously inane to fucked up. My most recent fucked up one:

Do you have any naughty pics?​

Fucking really? Really?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dunno, I had a (ten foot pole) girl message me recently with "I want you to show me your jiu jitsu." Was flattering if anything.

Some people, men and women, are just looking for casual hookups and forego the pretense. I don't see anything wrong with that when you have an active profile on a dating site, can easily be ignored. Not like it's creeper behavior or anything. "Do you have any naughty pics" is admittedly a not very good pickup attempt though!

Boozeroony

Gold Member
So I got on OKC for match lulz, listed as seeing someone but I guess it's assumed I'm trying to trade up or something. The messages I've got so far range from hilariously inane to fucked up. My most recent fucked up one:

Fucking really? Really?

Well, do you?

Dunno, I had a (ten foot pole) girl message me recently with "I want you to show me your jiu jitsu." Was flattering if anything.

Some people, men and women, are just looking for casual hookups and forego the pretense. I don't see anything wrong with that when you have an active profile on a dating site, can easily be ignored. Not like it's creeper behavior or anything. "Do you have any naughty pics" is admittedly a not very good pickup attempt though!

It's something you ask after getting to know someone, not a question asked right off the bat.

Well, do you?

Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom