• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

exhume

Haha, thanks for the sympathy guys. I was irked, but then we're sorta going through a weird phase of our relationship right now. I'm starting to think moving in with him was a mistake :\

YES. Please tell us. Please remind us. It's not that we don't care, it's just that for some reason guys are really bad at remembering this stuff!

I ordinarily would have done that, but my guy is going through some tough times (personally as well as financially) and I was worried it'd make him feel guilty and like he'd have to go out and buy me stuff or whatever. In the end I kind of let it go, and then we both ended up not mentioning it at all..

Oh well! To cheer myself up, I think I'll make stupid valentines cards for all my girlfriends. :D

CooTooLoo

Banned
I confronted this girl at my boyfriends work who according to him, flirts with him relentlessly. In spite of the fact that she knows he has a girlfriend. He's inexperienced with other girls who aren't me so he is only kind of sure she's flirting with him but then he comes home, talks to me about it and I confirm that yes, this girl is a treacherous bitch.

Alas. I know that feel. Flirting with someone you know is in a relationship doesn't make you feel so guilty if you've never met the persons significant other. He's cute, he's funny, he's charming. I get it.

So I sent him a text this morning telling me to text me if she was there. He sent me a text back telling me she was and I told him I was gonna stop off to buy something (small retail situation. We're both poor college students with menial jobs.) She's the cashier and he's standing near the front of the store. I figured I was going to go in and playfully/gleefully establish myself as his girlfriend and reinforce that he is my property. :p She and I are awkwardly introduced to each other and...

All of a sudden I feel really bad.

I can actually see that she's disappointed. It's like somebody deflated her just a tiny bit. She was nice but something was off. Like a smile just got taken off her face. I remembered all those people I had crushes on and then meeting their girlfriends.

Feels bad man.

Have you ever thought of asking your boyfriend to tell her to stop flirting with him? She may be flirtatious, but he's the one allowing it.

Also, talking about it to you alot? Sounds like he is trying to make you a little jealous. Did he by any chance tell you not to actually "say" anything to her about it when you came in?

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Naw, I'm hoping he doesnt actually read any of this. I'd rather a love letter come from the heart, rather than be suggested. If it's suggested, then the entire love letter is invalid in my eyes. Yes, I'm an incredibly difficult person. :|

Same here, but guys sometimes, well at least in my case and HOPE he doesn't read this :p) He doesn't get the subtle inuendos, so yeah sometimes I have to give him a little push, but in general I think he is very VERY sweet and also full of nice details ^^

"Remember that we have to be at the restaurant by 7."
"Wait, why are we going out again?"
"... It's by birthday."
"Shit."

Apparently it's not a consolidation knowing that I forget my birthday too.

Ladies, if you want something, ask for it. Be tactful, be kind, but don't be subtle. Particularly if you're in a situation where you and your SO haven't figured out how to communicate on the same wavelength.

"Remember that we have to be at the restaurant by 7."
"Wait, why are we going out again?"
"... It's by birthday."
"Shit."

Apparently it's not a consolidation knowing that I forget my birthday too.

A girl with a good heart feels guilty - or boneheaded - for not remembering things that, if in your place, she would expect you to remember.

Happens to the best of us, but we hope we can make it up to ya.

Also, I think you mean "consolation".

Girl-GAF, I recently had the pleasure of checking out the 'In Wonderland' exhibit at the LA county museum of art, which showcases female surrealist painters/artists from the US/Mexico. There was plenty of Frida Kahlo on display, and its always a pleasure to see her work, but it was also great to discover new artists.

What are some of your favorite female artists/photographers/songwriters etc, or what are some of your artistic pursuits?

I myself have an immense love for dance and culinary arts, but would love to more actively pick up something like photography.

Girl-GAF, I recently had the pleasure of checking out the 'In Wonderland' exhibit at the LA county museum of art, which showcases female surrealist painters/artists from the US/Mexico. There was plenty of Frida Kahlo on display, and its always a pleasure to see her work, but it was also great to discover new artists.

What are some of your favorite female artists/photographers/songwriters etc, or what are some of your artistic pursuits?

I myself have an immense love for dance and culinary arts, but would love to more actively pick up something like photography.

I love Ghada Amer and Janine Antone. I've always found myself drawn to Antone's process work and Amer's gender studies. Kiki Smith's work is also nice, I just can't stand her personality.

If you like photography and want to look more int the history of photography and less about current artists, you should read about Diane Arbus, Nicole Kidman played her in the movie Fur. Cindy Sherman's work was very interesting, though I always heard rumors that she wasn't the smartest person, we always used her artitst statement as an example of what not to do.

For some reason I've always had a lot of problems appreciating photography. Surprisingly, I found most other sculpture/painting/ceramic majors felt the same way too. Aside from the history and the development process, I found I couldn't critique a photograph as well as another form of art.

Songwriters? I've always liked Amanda Palmer from the Dresden Dolls.

I feel so uncultured. :x

I love Ghada Amer and Janine Antone. I've always found myself drawn to Antone's process work and Amer's gender studies. Kiki Smith's work is also nice, I just can't stand her personality.

If you like photography and want to look more int the history of photography and less about current artists, you should read about Diane Arbus, Nicole Kidman played her in the movie Fur. Cindy Sherman's work was very interesting, though I always heard rumors that she wasn't the smartest person, we always used her artitst statement as an example of what not to do.

For some reason I've always had a lot of problems appreciating photography. Surprisingly, I found most other sculpture/painting/ceramic majors felt the same way too. Aside from the history and the development process, I found I couldn't critique a photograph as well as another form of art.

Songwriters? I've always liked Amanda Palmer from the Dresden Dolls.

Amer is simply brilliant to me, and dude, I LOVE Diane Arbus. One of my most favorite photographers (movie was excellent too!), awesome you should bring her up. Lola Alvarez Bravo, Kati Horna, and Imogen Cunningham are also among my favorite female photographers.

I too felt the same way about photography until someone bought me a copy of Robert Frank's The Americans. It was mind blowing to realize how powerful, yet subtle and moving a photograph can be.

As an aside, I feel the need to mention some of my favorite female authors. If you've never read any Flannery O'Connor or Sylvia Plathe, you're definitely missing out.

Kisaya

Audrey Kawasaki is one of my favorite female artists ^_^ I think she's from LA too ;0

Well my Valentine's Day was interesting.

OMG, CONTINUE?

I saw a Frida Kahlo exhibit in SF a while ago. It was pretty amazing. Nothing new of late, though. Might have to check out the "In Wonderland" show. I need some culture in my social diet.

Well my Valentine's Day was interesting.

Still waiting on the pictures. ;)

Emitan

Zozei.gif

Please, don't mind me.

At my friend's 18th birthday party we got her one of those candy bra things and ate off her (she put it on over her clothes). It was really weird. I don't see the appeal.

Ok, valentine's day is over. Can the presses just stop with the engagement ring advertising already? It's making my head hurt.
I am really not a fan of v day. This is our fifth year we've been together for it, but it's never been a big deal. It's not like this is the only opportunity to do nice things for one another. In fact it's nicer when it's spontaneous. But a couple of my friends just got into relationships, and in the lead up to the 14th I got interrogated daily about what my plans were. That pittying look on their face when you tell them you don't really have plans yet, or it's never really been an important day for you... I got really stressed out, and ended up taking us out for dinner despite not having the money. It was nice though. Woodfired pizza out in the country. Still, it wasn't much different from any other day . And by that I mean everyday is great.

And thanks rp:)

Indeed. Eight last year. And with the onslaught of proposal- and ring-related questions I've been hearing out and about I might well end up being that crazy lady who shouts "just take her to the store with you!" from the rooftops.

8... O_O You poor thing. They're fun, but... super expensive and stressful to be in. I only had to be in two the last 2 years and that was enough for me. The first wedding did scar me quite badly. Dare I post a pic of the HOT PINK BARBIE DOLL DRESS I had to wear? *shudder*

On an unrelated note, a glasses pic. O_O

I used to wear them, but I had lasik 4 years ago, so I miss mine. That pair is actually Clearacell's from the korean BBQ meet up we did here in LA. I tried on several pairs to varying degrees of success/eye pain. ^_^

8... O_O You poor thing. They're fun, but... super expensive and stressful to be in. I only had to be in two the last 2 years and that was enough for me. The first wedding did scar me quite badly. Dare I post a pic of the HOT PINK BARBIE DOLL DRESS I had to wear? *shudder*

Ha! Pink is apparently the new seafoam green.

I was fortunate enough not to be considered for bridesmaid-dom. Still though, expensive and mentally exhausting.

Leeness

Whhhhy am I running into so much woman-hate today? :/

First Walking Dead. Then Bioware and the female writer. Now Chris Brown and Rihanna (though most people in that thread are decent other than the one troll. But on twitter. Lord).

It's not my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom