• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This I gotta see.
KuGsj.gif

Prepare yourself...

4UVkYl.jpg

Myself and one of the best men. He was lucky enough to get hammered before this point. The other two bridesmaids and I had to wait with the bride in a separate room and weren't allowed to go to the open bar-mingling portion. :(

Ha! Pink is apparently the new seafoam green.

I was fortunate enough not to be considered for bridesmaid-dom. Still though, expensive and mentally exhausting.

I was a bridesmaid AND maid of honor at my sister's wedding. ;_; I will have to say that the hot pink dress wedding was 'fairly' inexpensive because the bride made the dresses AND bought the shoes. It was my first wedding, so I didn't understand the significance of this until my sister's wedding. I'm so glad I took her to the spa after. She tried so hard to make it cheap/perfect for everyone. Seems so stressful, though.

8... O_O You poor thing. They're fun, but... super expensive and stressful to be in. I only had to be in two the last 2 years and that was enough for me. The first wedding did scar me quite badly. Dare I post a pic of the HOT PINK BARBIE DOLL DRESS I had to wear? *shudder*
I... I must see this.
I used to wear them, but I had lasik 4 years ago, so I miss mine. That pair is actually Clearacell's from the korean BBQ meet up we did here in LA. I tried on several pairs to varying degrees of success/eye pain. ^_^
Well, you've certainly got the librarian look down. =^_^= You could always get a fashion pair of glasses, just for kicks if you want. ;) I wish I could get lasik, stupid astigmatism. :\
Prepare yourself...

4UVkYl.jpg
Dear god. I was not prepared.

Prepare yourself...

4UVkYl.jpg

Myself and one of the best men. He was lucky enough to get hammered before this point. The other two bridesmaids and I had to wait with the bride in a separate room and weren't allowed to go to the open bar-mingling portion. :(

Wow, that's pretty special. Though it's not the least flattering b-maid dress I've seen - and for something made by hand, and with the intent of not making you broke, it's a little more digestible.

I've actually never been to a wedding before. How long are they, usually?

Many couples have taken steps to make the ceremonies shorter (as have, afaik, a lot of officiants) but the receptions can still take forever. Particularly if they're full of weepy speeches and 12-course dinners.

The longest ceremony I ever attended was about an hour and 15 minutes long, and the shortest was about 20 minutes.

The longest reception I ever attended was about 9-10 hours, and the shortest was 3 hours.

Average gap between official ceremony and reception: about 3.5 hours, with a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of about 6.

Depends on the ceremony as culture and/or religion can have a great effect.
In my experience the religious ones take a lot longer. If i get married I'm limiting the formalities to and hour or so. Leaves more time for lunch etc. At least then if someone makes a speech people can still eat/ drink rather than sitting and being bored.( depending on the relationship to the couple)

RawPower

Banned
I don't know what it's like at weddings, but long speeches are akin to taking sandpaper to your brain. I mourn the braincells I've lost.

I'm ADHD

lawd that dress though....................

and i havent posted in here in a long time

hi :)

Haha. Right? It was a shocking, SHINY, pink. I have never been so mortified. I got over it, though (a drink or too certainly helped).

I... I must see this.

Well, you've certainly got the librarian look down. =^_^= You could always get a fashion pair of glasses, just for kicks if you want. ;) I wish I could get lasik, stupid astigmatism. :\

Dear god. I was not prepared.

I don't think anyone was prepared, least of all me. You can't even see the shoes that well. They were insanely high (I'm not particularly good in heels) and had ruffly... scalloped... backs...

As for the glasses thing, thanks. ^_^ Dream job #3 was librarian. And! I had an astigmatism too! They fixed it. Are you sure they can't do yours?

I've actually never been to a wedding before. How long are they, usually?

The pink dress one took about... an hour and half for the ceremony...? Damn it was cold. I remember that.

Nutella or syrup is what I've used.

Oh god protag, that pink. Lawd. I can count the amount of times I've worn on a dress on my two hands lol.

It was pretty special. Pretty darn special. She made it, though, so kudos to her. It could have been shaped way worse.

Wow, that's pretty special. Though it's not the least flattering b-maid dress I've seen - and for something made by hand, and with the intent of not making you broke, it's a little more digestible.

Many couples have taken steps to make the ceremonies shorter (as have, afaik, a lot of officiants) but the receptions can still take forever. Particularly if they're full of weepy speeches and 12-course dinners.

The longest ceremony I ever attended was about an hour and 15 minutes long, and the shortest was about 20 minutes.

The longest reception I ever attended was about 9-10 hours, and the shortest was 3 hours.

Average gap between official ceremony and reception: about 3.5 hours, with a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of about 6.

The colors were shocking, but she did manage to make them fit fairly well. I was impressed that she did that at all given the stress of planning/executing a wedding, but having to worry about the bridesmaid's stuff too? Crazy. I give her props for that even if she made me dress like barbie.

The dress would be cute in a different colour.

I don't know what it's like at weddings, but long speeches are akin to taking sandpaper to your brain. I mourn the braincells I've lost.

I'm ADHD
I went to a barmitzva last year, and the rabi spent at least half an hour rambling about how soon she wouldn't need to fly down to conduct ceremonies and could instead bea hologram. The urge to stand up and shout "that's not how holograms work! " was so strong... and this was towards the end of a 3 hour ceremony. at least I was rewarded with champagne and a humourous story :p

I don't think anyone was prepared, least of all me. You can't even see the shoes that well. They were insanely high (I'm not particularly good in heels) and had ruffly... scalloped... backs...

As for the glasses thing, thanks. ^_^ Dream job #3 was librarian. And! I had an astigmatism too! They fixed it. Are you sure they can't do yours?
I meant that I couldn't do it for monetary reasons. Perhaps one day when I have a job. :\

RawPower

Banned
The dress would be cute in a different colour.

I went to a barmitzva last year, and the rabi spent at least half an hour rambling about how soon she wouldn't need to fly down to conduct ceremonies and could instead bea hologram. The urge to stand up and shout "that's not how holograms work! " was so strong... and this was towards the end of a 3 hour ceremony. at least I was rewarded with champagne and a humourous story :p

I went to my cousin's bat mitzvah many moons ago. It was boring, but that's partly because I hate my cousin (and my aunt) with every fiber of my being.

Weddings are a blast, I don't know what you guys are going on about.

As long as you aren't actually IN it, there is alcohol, you know more than 5 or so people well there, the ceremony is short, it's cheap to get to, and you actually like the people getting married.

Leeness

Whatev H.P. I think the dress is adorable. :p Maybe a bit too pink, but whatever. Haha. If it had been a pastel pink, it would have been better.

The actual cut of the dress and everything is cute though.

*straps on kevlar*

Hahaha, adorable ;b

I'm so glad that my suffering has brought people joy.
And yes, you will die now.

I meant that I couldn't do it for monetary reasons. Perhaps one day when I have a job. :\

No job right now? Are you a student or just waiting on something to open up in your field? This recession has been pretty unforgiving for some people.

And, I got mine really cheap, though. $399/eye. I was pretty broke at the time, but it was a sale I couldn't pass up bc it's usually so expensive.

Whatev H.P. I think the dress is adorable. :p Maybe a bit too pink, but whatever. Haha. If it had been a pastel pink, it would have been better.

The actual cut of the dress and everything is cute though.

Aww, thanks, Leeness. The bride is trying to make a go of working in fashion and I was really impressed with her skills (and speed). It's not really my style, but I don't think it looked too terrible. Kinda ridiculous color-wise, but not too terrible. ^_^

No job right now? Are you a student or just waiting on something to open up in your field? This recession has been pretty unforgiving for some people.

And, I got mine really cheap, though. $399/eye. I was pretty broke at the time, but it was a sale I couldn't pass up bc it's usually so expensive.
I'm a student. Slowly on my to getting a degree... in something.

Emitan

I have three semesters of college under my belt and I'm still technically a freshman. T_T I'm 21.

I'm not even sure what I am. I was a Software Engineering major for 3 semesters before I had to drop out. Now I'm in Media Production in my 5th semester but it's my first semester as one.

Sigh...

Maybe I should just become a NEET.

If you both have PHDs, I should have at least have two by now.

Oi, oi, oi!

I'm a student. Slowly on my to getting a degree... in something.

Well, I wouldn't fuss too much. Doesn't really seem to matter what the degree is in, just having one opens the doors (I don't use mine at all). Just get it over with and go out into the world! What are you studying/interested in, though?

If HP comes to Southern GAF, she's gotta wear the pink dress.

Not budging on this one.

-_- Nevah. I have a perfectly acceptable BLACK version of that dress (though shorter), but it's not something I would ever wear to a meet up. You guys are lucky that I don't just show up in my PJs. ^_^

Saa, kakatte koi, my dear :D

You_are_already_dead-(n1296951764362).jpg

Dr Billychu, Ph.D. at your service.

I've sort of earned half of a few degrees :/

Maybe I can combine them into one super degree?

What the heck are you guys doing that you have so many hours but no degree? Just not sure what kind of degree you want?

Emitan

I don't even know anymore.

I supposed I can work on programming as a hobby and see if I can get employed that way because I'm not really majoring in what I want to be anymore.

Yessssss. Maybe we'll find someone who can actually graduate and pay for our luxurious lifestyles.
Well, EviLore currently resides in Austin. >_>
Well, I wouldn't fuss too much. Doesn't really seem to matter what the degree is in, just having one opens the doors (I don't use mine at all). Just get it over with and go out into the world! What are you studying/interested in, though?
I was a computer science major, currently liberal arts undeclared. I'm probably going to go back to computer science since it is practical, and I still think it's an interesting area. Then again, I'm kind of interested in psychology too, but that would be a much bigger commitment. My sister is 25, has an English degree, and currently works a miserable job at a movie theater. Having a degree doesn't guarantee a good job. :x

I supposed I can work on programming as a hobby and see if I can get employed that way because I'm not really majoring in what I want to be anymore.

Just finish your degree in whatever, or switch your major to what you want. Either is better than not getting a degree.

Emitan

Excellent...

I was a computer science major

Don't copy me!

Just finish your degree in whatever, or switch your major to what you want. Either is better than not getting a degree.

Yeah, I'm gonna finish. I just hope I can get over my chronic procrastination (symptom of my ADD) and learn more programming instead because I can't major in it.

I was a computer science major, currently liberal arts undeclared. I'm probably going to go back to computer science since it is practical, and I still think it's an interesting area. Then again, I'm kind of interested in psychology too, but that would be a much bigger commitment. My sister is 25, has an English degree, and currently works a miserable job at a movie theater. Having a degree doesn't guarantee a good job. :x

Of course it doesn't guarantee anything. I just said that it opens doors. You have to be a bit more proactive, cunning and/or lucky these days to get a job. My mom always said I should just be a plumber or something because that was more sure. She wasn't wrong exactly, but I loved my college years. With the costs as they are these days, however, lingering while you switch degrees time and time again is just going to land you in more debt. :(

Then why are you not studying what you want to actually do? o_O Maybe you just need to take a break from college and go to a trade school instead? Zero in on the actual job you want to do without all the excess. It's nice to learn a wide variety of things and explore all interesting options, but if you don't have the money for that kind of thing, then like I said to Femmeworth, lingering indecisively is just going to land you in more debt and waste your time.

Emitan

Right now I'm just focused on getting a degree, getting a job, and moving out of my parents' place. It's not that I'm disinterested in my current major, it's just not my first choice.

I'm procrastinating as we speak. =)

I love you, GAF, but I probably have something more important to be doing 99% of the time I'm here.

I reckon finish your degree in lib arts or computer science. If you're still interested in psych you can always do it as a graduate diploma or a masters. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom