• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Stop being a bum, Pau.
Kidding, you are free to bum for however long you want, glad to hear you're alright.

aww man, that's awesome! We also had to do both, but there was no cross over assignment. I made some winter pajamas and a wooden aeroplane movable wheels! making the lamp would involve some electricity stuff too, presumably?

Oh, it wasn't actually a cross-over assignment, but since I started with the wood working class I figured I might as well do something that could work with the lamp I made.
The electric bit wasn't at all complicated, just a matter of securing a light bulb holder inside the lamp, and trail the cable along a pre-cut path on the inside. Wish I had some pictures, but it kinda looked like this, but with a patterned cover (birds and flowers if I recall it correctly):
Wall-mounted_lamp_in_narthex_of_Saint_Peter_Church%3B_Lowell%2C_MA%3B_2012-05-19.JPG

Probably a fire hazard now that I think about it.

PJ's are probably much safer.

So... weddings.

It all seems fantastically expensive and complicated, even more so when you have <40 guests. No one wants to take you or they charge you extra for plates. :( Having fun looking at places at any rate.

Anyone have any amusing weddings planning stories to share or cool things you did? I'm looking at castles and horse drawn carriages because, why the hell not? (naturally I've got an eye on costs)

ADs8q4H.jpg

HYg0s1w.png

So... weddings.

It all seems fantastically expensive and complicated, even more so when you have <40 guests. No one wants to take you or they charge you extra for plates. :( Having fun looking at places at any rate.

Anyone have any amusing weddings planning stories to share or cool things you did? I'm looking at castles and horse drawn carriages because, why the hell not? (naturally I've got an eye on costs)

ADs8q4H.jpg

HYg0s1w.png

Weird timing, I just had a small wedding with <40 guests. We went with a Bed and Breakfast that had beautiful gardens that we had the ceremony in and a building that held the reception. It worked out more perfect than I could ever have hoped for. As for food and stuff, we went casual and had breakfast (for dinner) catered by Bob Evans and got gourmet cupcakes from a local cafe that we love. Everyone seemed to have a good time and looking back, I probably could have stressed out less. I still have to total everything up, but I'm pretty sure everything was under $5000.
Here we are right after the announcement. We even got his sister to get her license to officiate!
cnbvea1.jpg

Weird timing, I just had a small wedding with <40 guests. We went with a Bed and Breakfast that had beautiful gardens that we had the ceremony in and a building that held the reception. It worked out more perfect than I could ever have hoped for. As for food and stuff, we went casual and had breakfast (for dinner) catered by Bob Evans and got gourmet cupcakes from a local cafe that we love. Everyone seemed to have a good time and looking back, I probably could have stressed out less. I still have to total everything up, but I'm pretty sure everything was under $5000.
Here we are right after the announcement. We even got his sister to get her license to officiate!
cnbvea1.jpg

Congratulations! You look lovely! :D

A Bed and Breakfast/vineyards are also something we're looking at. The castle place I posted said they'd work with our smaller numbers if we could guarantee 40 ppl, but even that is going to be hard methinks. I may opt for the B&B garden thing like the one you had. There are some really lovely ones in CT.

Your cupcake idea is very nice too. I used to be an assistant pastry chef so I or my aunt (the actual pastry chef) will probably make my cake), but I like the simplicity, deliciousness and easy transportability of cupcakes.

Were there any other details you care to share? I'd love to hear, especially since you had a smaller party too. And... pictures? :D

My whole wedding was basically free, small towns for the win. Everyone donated various services as wedding presents (hair, makeup, cake, flowers, food, etc) My mom and other mom even made my dress!

I might not be the best person to ask about it :(

Wow. Talk about a town coming together. Go, Fiction. I'm happy to hear any details or stories you have. Cost-wise I'm aiming between 5-7 as well, but it's only that high because his family will be flying in from Australia, so housing needs to be in there among other things. Even that seems like a lot, but I'm sure I can keep it down.

Wedding Dress - I'll rent if anything.
Cake - I'll make it.
Bridesmaid's Stuff - Told 'em all to wear whatever black dress they owned
Flowers - Could not care less. Alive, I guess
Colors - Huh?

And it goes on... ;)

Congratulations! You look lovely! :D

A Bed and Breakfast/vineyards are also something we're looking at. The castle place I posted said they'd work with our smaller numbers if we could guarantee 40 ppl, but even that is going to be hard methinks. I may opt for the B&B garden thing like the one you had. There are some really lovely ones in CT.

Your cupcake idea is very nice too. I used to be an assistant pastry chef so I or my aunt (the actual pastry chef) will probably make my cake), but I like the simplicity, deliciousness and easy transportability of cupcakes.

Were there any other details you care to share? I'd love to hear, especially since you had a smaller party too. And... pictures? :D
Thank you! I felt beautiful, as any bride should :)
There weren't too many other details really. We went really non-traditional. No attendants standing up with us, neither of us are dancers so we didn't have to worry about a dance floor (although we did have music playing in the background) and we had a gaming theme to the wedding. We gave out custom dice to each guest with our names and the date on them and we had games available to play (Apples to Apples, Settlers of Catan, Uno for the kids) even though most people were fine just mingling. I don't have very many pictures yet since this literally just happened 3 days ago, but I had my brother-in-law take some pics with my phone so I'll post some of the better ones.

Yummy yummy cupcakes
eU0HRYm.jpg

Breakfast
RfqFJ85.jpg

The florist did an amazing job on a unique centerpiece
PlAa6uA.jpg

My bouquet, the custom dice, and the champagne glasses that everyone got to keep
fbwdXNc.jpg

Close up of the dice (we got them through gamestation.net, fairly inexpensive if anyone was wondering)
weBosB8.jpg

And here is a better picture of my dress, I just LOVE it so felt like showing it off ;)
0e0RAq6.jpg

Sorry for the photo dump!

Nudull

Banned
cnbvea1.jpg

This is pretty nice, gaming theme, cupcakes and everything! Congrats! :)
Your dress was lovely, too. :3

If you have a friend that's good at making floral arrangements, hit them up for your bouquet. Go scavenge through hobby lobby for some pretty silk flowers in nice colors. Let them have at it!

Good call. It might be something one of my aunts is good at. When my sister asked about the flowers I wasn't sure what to say anyway. I'll let someone else pick or raid hobby lobby for goods. ;)

Thank you! I felt beautiful, as any bride should :)
There weren't too many other details really. We went really non-traditional. No attendants standing up with us, neither of us are dancers so we didn't have to worry about a dance floor (although we did have music playing in the background) and we had a gaming theme to the wedding. We gave out custom dice to each guest with our names and the date on them and we had games available to play (Apples to Apples, Settlers of Catan, Uno for the kids) even though most people were fine just mingling. I don't have very many pictures yet since this literally just happened 3 days ago, but I had my brother-in-law take some pics with my phone so I'll post some of the better ones.

Yummy yummy cupcakes
eU0HRYm.jpg

Breakfast
RfqFJ85.jpg

The florist did an amazing job on a unique centerpiece
PlAa6uA.jpg

My bouquet, the custom dice, and the champagne glasses that everyone got to keep
fbwdXNc.jpg

Close up of the dice (we got them through gamestation.net, fairly inexpensive if anyone was wondering)
weBosB8.jpg

And here is a better picture of my dress, I just LOVE it so felt like showing it off ;)
0e0RAq6.jpg

Sorry for the photo dump!

Photo dump is what I wanted! And non-traditional is great. I think I'll be cutting out quite a bit of the pomp (though part of me is charmed by the idea of butlers serving tiny canapés from silver trays) to. Simply makes it all easier to keep track of.

I really like your gaming theme. The dice are very cute and memorable. Mine may or may not have a slight... ah, Game of Thrones theme... We plan on divvying up guest tables by designating houses. Not sure if the favors will go that direction (probably not), but we want something a little personalized like your dice as well. :)

And your dress was pretty spectacular. So classy with the black sash.

Pau

I really like your gaming theme. The dice are very cute and memorable. Mine may or may not have a slight... ah, Game of Thrones theme... We plan on divvying up guest tables by designating houses. Not sure if the favors will go that direction (probably not), but we want something a little personalized like your dice as well. :)
omg you wonderful dorks <3

And I don't even like Game of Thrones.

Okay, now you are my hero for wanting a Game of Thrones themed wedding. Now your dress MUST be red :p

And the Rains of Castamere will be the first song, or the Bear (The Bear, the Bear!)? :D

And look! This is similar to how I will have guests retrieve their table placements when they arrive. I have no need for a hedge dragon, but the little banners (or I may use the coat of arms shaping) will be there:

game-of-thrones-themed-wedding-12.jpg

omg you wonderful dorks <3

And I don't even like Game of Thrones.

We are pretty dorky. :) I'm sure we'll slip some more amusing GoT stuff in there.

My new sister-in-law wrote the ceremony and married us which was awesome in itself, but she went through the trouble of researching different video games and incorporating them into the ceremony and we didn't even have a clue! We are so happy she tailored it to our interests.

I chose the black sash for the dress because it matches my black diamond ring :)

Atsumi

What a beautiful wedding!

My family is in the process of planning two at the moment (My brother's in September, and my sister's in June... I'm the only sibling in my family not married/engaged ;-;)

anti wedding girlgaf represent

(not trying to ruin the fun, I can really see the appeal of long princess-like dresses and nicely decorated tables :3 but I sometimes just wonder: why all the fuss)

who jizzed on your avatar?

but yeah a GoT theme definitely sounds cool, even if I wouldn't have one, I'd like to be invited to a wedding like this :D

Popgaf got their hands on it, it's a lady Gaga face mask.

It's a shame none of my friends are dorks like Hpro. I know guy who's about to get married (so his GF can stay in the country...) and he'll do something boring and conventional.

My husband and and I like to do the 7 minute work out. Its not much but better than nothing and you don't need to go out and buy any gear. I was going to a weekly zumba toning class but I haven't been for a couple weeks.

anti wedding girlgaf represent

(not trying to ruin the fun, I can really see the appeal of long princess-like dresses and nicely decorated tables :3 but I sometimes just wonder: why all the fuss)

I hadn't really wanted one at all, but my guy (rightly, I think) reminded me that it's more for family in the end. In that light I don't mind it and I'll have my fun with it. I hate a lot of things some people seem to think are necessary (bridesmaids outfits, linen, flowers, etc), though, so I'm ignoring most of that. Ladies will wear whatever black dress they want/already own, I don't care if we have paper table cloths, and flowers, well, dead or alive, who cares. :)

Aiming for affordable, fun and a nice memory.

I love the idea of a GoT styled wedding even if I wouldn't want one.
You have to do that with your guy Hpro!

It won't be too heavily GoT, but I'm not sure if I can help myself from slipping Rains of Castamere onto the playlist...

any of you gyals been getting fit lately

A bit. Trying to get my side bits and butt a bit more toned up.

Pau

Been doing a spinning class and weights class each week at the gym. I was going to start going even more on my own but now I have to wait for the okay from my surgeon to get back to it.

So... weddings.

First of all, congratulations! It's a heck of a lot of work, but it's fantastic on the day when all the pieces finally click into place. My husband and I got married in May, with about 38 people at the ceremony and meal, then another 60 or so for the reception in the evening. We looked at about 10 places, including a few country house hotels that required you to fill all their rooms overnight. That wasn't going to happen!

We ended up getting married in a lovely converted barn in the countryside. Transport was a bit tricky (it was in the middle of nowhere) so we organised a coach for the evening guests.

The weather forecast was for rain, but we were extremely lucky! There was only one main room in the barn, and we wanted to make sure everyone had fun while the catering staff were setting it up for the meal after the ceremony, so we hired some garden games including quoits and giant Jenga.

We also hired a rodeo bull. I thought it would go down like a lead balloon, but people loved it! My friends from school started unpacking their luggage and putting their pyjama bottoms on over their dresses so they could have a go!

I spent ages making different kinds of jam and marmalade for wedding favours, then labelling all the jars. It was worth it though. I had fun with the labels. This particular jar is cherry and Matt-deira.

As you can see, our colour scheme was blue and ivory. I only had one bridesmaid - my sister in law - so I asked her to choose herself a dress, then we used that colour for everything else. I'm very glad I only had one bridesmaid - the thought of having to find dresses that suited all my best friends, or possibly offending some of them by not asking everyone... nah.

Our photographer was good at capturing little moments, er, like this! Facepalm! We made sure to choose someone who would give us all the high-res pictures on a disc so we could make as many prints as we liked and share them with relatives.

In the evening we had a ceilidh to make sure everyone got up, had a dance and mingled a bit. It always seems like a shame if people sit at the side in little groups at wedding receptions while all the aunts get drunk, kick off their heels and monopolise the floor dancing to Staying Alive.

And they all lived happily ever after!

Sorry, total image dump there. Perhaps some of it will give you some ideas, though! It's great that you're planning to have fun with it - it should be fun!

First of all, congratulations! It's a heck of a lot of work, but it's fantastic on the day when all the pieces finally click into place. My husband and I got married in May, with about 38 people at the ceremony and meal, then another 60 or so for the reception in the evening. We looked at about 10 places, including a few country house hotels that required you to fill all their rooms overnight. That wasn't going to happen!

We ended up getting married in a lovely converted barn in the countryside. Transport was a bit tricky (it was in the middle of nowhere) so we organised a coach for the evening guests.

The weather forecast was for rain, but we were extremely lucky! There was only one main room in the barn, and we wanted to make sure everyone had fun while the catering staff were setting it up for the meal after the ceremony, so we hired some garden games including quoits and giant Jenga.

We also hired a rodeo bull. I thought it would go down like a lead balloon, but people loved it! My friends from school started unpacking their luggage and putting their pyjama bottoms on over their dresses so they could have a go!

I spent ages making different kinds of jam and marmalade for wedding favours, then labelling all the jars. It was worth it though. I had fun with the labels. This particular jar is cherry and Matt-deira.

As you can see, our colour scheme was blue and ivory. I only had one bridesmaid - my sister in law - so I asked her to choose herself a dress, then we used that colour for everything else. I'm very glad I only had one bridesmaid - the thought of having to find dresses that suited all my best friends, or possibly offending some of them by not asking everyone... nah.

Our photographer was good at capturing little moments, er, like this! Facepalm! We made sure to choose someone who would give us all the high-res pictures on a disc so we could make as many prints as we liked and share them with relatives.

In the evening we had a ceilidh to make sure everyone got up, had a dance and mingled a bit. It always seems like a shame if people sit at the side in little groups at wedding receptions while all the aunts get drunk, kick off their heels and monopolise the floor dancing to Staying Alive.

Sorry, total image dump there. Perhaps some of it will give you some ideas, though! It's great that you're planning to have fun with it - it should be fun!

Thank you, and the picture dump was greatly enjoyed!

Everything looks absolutely gorgeous! You look amazing and the entire wedding design is so classy. I've been looking at barns too as that seems an option for smaller parties, but I don't know if I can even come close to what you did. The personal touch with the jam and the country flowers are wonderful. I really like the rodeo bull too... :D

Our other option besides the aforementioned castle is a winery, but after seeing your pics the barn theme is moving up. Might have to start a wedding planning thread to consolidate all this info/ideas. I'll bet there are quite a few people on Gaf gearing up for their nuptials. Would love to pick your brain and ChaCha's more. Hmmm...

actually, yes! After a whole semester of working two jobs and not getting any exercise at all, I've finally started doing Hapkido (which I've been looking into for at least a year now -_-), getting back into the gym, and subbing for a friend's soccer team when someone's absent. I'm feeling a lot more energized actually, though quitting one of my jobs probably helped too :p

It won't be too heavily GoT, but I'm not sure if I can help myself from slipping Rains of Castamere onto the playlist...

D: Don't jinx it!

It may not seem as fancy, but if you can get a friend or family member to help provide the catering you'll save yourselves a lot of money. I think my parents actually had guests bring their best dishes to share instead of a wedding gift.

Thank you, and the picture dump was greatly enjoyed!

Everything looks absolutely gorgeous! You look amazing and the entire wedding design is so classy. I've been looking at barns too as that seems an option for smaller parties, but I don't know if I can even come close to what you did. The personal touch with the jam and the country flowers are wonderful. I really like the rodeo bull too... :D

Our other option besides the aforementioned castle is a winery, but after seeing your pics the barn theme is moving up. Might have to start a wedding planning thread to consolidate all this info/ideas. I'll bet there are quite a few people on Gaf gearing up for their nuptials. Would love to pick your brain and ChaCha's more. Hmmm...

Aw, thank you!

A winery would be awesome! Sadly we have a lot more barns than vines in my part of the world. Heh!

There are so many 'rules' about weddings but you can break as many as you want. I agree with shanshan about the catering - we had ours done professionally and it was easily the most expensive part of the day. If you're not having too many guests, it's definitely something to consider.

Atsumi, those boots are amazing! What work are you planning for them?

Atsumi

Aw, thank you!

A winery would be awesome! Sadly we have a lot more barns than vines in my part of the world. Heh!

There are so many 'rules' about weddings but you can break as many as you want. I agree with shanshan about the catering - we had ours done professionally and it was easily the most expensive part of the day. If you're not having too many guests, it's definitely something to consider.

Hah, our vineyards almost always are barns.

They need new laces because the ones right now are stiff leather (I may do a more modern nylon lace... like a flat cream one) and the leather is rough in places.

actually, yes! After a whole semester of working two jobs and not getting any exercise at all, I've finally started doing Hapkido (which I've been looking into for at least a year now -_-), getting back into the gym, and subbing for a friend's soccer team when someone's absent. I'm feeling a lot more energized actually, though quitting one of my jobs probably helped too :p

D: Don't jinx it!

It may not seem as fancy, but if you can get a friend or family member to help provide the catering you'll save yourselves a lot of money. I think my parents actually had guests bring their best dishes to share instead of a wedding gift.

Well, we're already doing the wedding cake ourselves and many of the venues require you use their food services. If I want to do my own catering, it would probably have to be in my sister's back yard. :/

Luckily, with less people it's not so bad. The other silly big money items like flowers and linen and booze are also included in the packets and/or I can just cross them off entirely for discounts. :)

Aw, thank you!

I will break plenty of these so-called 'rules'. :) Some of them are absolutely ridiculous. Confess I'm looking forward to a small bridesmaid party in Vegas, though. My fiancé's guy friends coming from Australia seem to think that's what you do and I imagine it's half the fun of visiting America for them. Haha.

Hah, our vineyards almost always are barns.

They need new laces because the ones right now are stiff leather (I may do a more modern nylon lace... like a flat cream one) and the leather is rough in places.

Exactly. If I do go with a winery, there's a good chance it'll be in a barn. :)

Sweet boots, btw.

Oh! Very nice! Good fit and cute. You should post it in the Fashion thread. I got a comfy new summer dress from H&M today too that I might post. It's one of those super long comfy things that feels like pajamas. It's suuuuuuuummer time!

Tash

<3 so beautiful :)

Tash

So, some renovating stuff.

We bought a house on the countryside which needs a lot of work. On top of that, after we moved in, they owners left it in really bad states. Here it is normal to clean the house or apartment before you leave it so it is as good as new. Obviously, the previous owners were real pigs..

After some cleaning I finally managed to make it into a place you can actually start to live in. Stuff is still pretty randomly placed (especially the paintings on the walls), since I just needed space to move stuff out of the way to work on other parts.

Now we are going to start painting and redoing the floors. Will post more pics if it's not too boring :) Specially upstairs and the basement part is still total chaos.

Oh also, since we live right next to a forest now, we had a deer visit our garden late last night when it got dark. I just came down into the kitchen and was watching it for a while through the window. Pretty cool :)

Eating area which is connected to the big living room through an open wall (I plan to make a bar area there). The brown door will be replaced with a white one and we will probably paint the wall area here with a medium shade gray.

Zswmggs.png

Hallway thingie..again, the wall on the left will be replaced with a new white one. Can't wait to try out the oven during winter :)

TaamxKB.jpg

View towards the huge balcony. Need to get some inspirations for pots and we also need to buy some balcony furnitures still. The area goes all around and has a part on the back where we have a garden couch area and a garden tent. You can also access the huge garden from the balcony.

uTtmtQa.png

Temp half part of the living room. Had to be up as soon as possible :D
80FPkJJ.png

We have one problem with a small room I want to make into a walk-in closet: the previous owner had a cat and we are still trying to get the stench/smell out of the hard wood floors. We will sand them down and repaint but I still want to smell out. Tried Salmiak and other things. Does anyone have a good solution or experience with stuff like this? Not to mention, we want two cats of our own and I can't risk having left-over smell :/

Tash

Anyone have any tips for maintaining well moistured nipples? I rub moisturizer on my breasts daily after the shower but sometimes my nipples get dry and it looks gross. It isn't uncomfortable or anything but it doesn't make me feel good about myself either. More lotion!

Never had that problem but maybe baby-oil?
Also make sure you drink enough..water that is :p

Tash

I've been doing beachbody workouts and recently started lifting weights but vacation in Switzerland and moving/renovating have totally destroyed my schedule. Going back into it in a few days though.

I even have a fitness blog with stuff but I have not updated it in ages.
Need any help or advice or just generally looking for fitness chat? :)

Kimaka

I'm trying. I signed up for a gym membership and been going there on and off. I want to get to a point where I at least go there four times a week but I get lazy and never want to go unless someone is with me.

I mostly do cardio since I don't know how to use most of the weight stuff.

I told myself I would this summer but it never happens :l

Ask someone to go with you. I got incredibly lazy with fitness things and going somewhere regularly, but combining a chance to meet up with not wanting to let anyone down has helped :p

I mostly do cardio since I don't know how to use most of the weight stuff.

Can you get someone who works there to help? Weights can be pretttty good tbh.

overcast

So I already posted in Dating Age a while back, but you're all girls so maybe it'll be a bit different.

My girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me 12 days ago. It was absolutely awful at first (I didn't see it coming), so I was basically crying/depressed for 5 days straight. The few days after that I came to the conclusion that she didn't want to fix it and I would need to start looking towards my future. I would be able to talk whenever she needed. For the past 3 days I've just wanted to see her and talk to her about it, and maybe even try fixing it. I know she's been hurting lately, but I don't know if she's scared I'll convince her to get back or prideful; but she won't talk.

The fucked up part is I realize that I can't be thinking about the past. The break up was unclear and we had a great relationship, so it's hard not to.

Any ideas of what I should do? For the record I did give her space (only texted twice in almost 2 weeks), and I haven't been talking crap about her. It sucks so much.

Top Bottom