• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

yuna55

Anyone have any tips for maintaining well moistured nipples? I rub moisturizer on my breasts daily after the shower but sometimes my nipples get dry and it looks gross. It isn't uncomfortable or anything but it doesn't make me feel good about myself either. More lotion!

Sorry for the creepy bump, but when you shower, don't soap up your nips.

That's what I had to do while breastfeeding, partially because the soap was too harsh and they would crack and partially because it hurt to rinse them off. I still find myself covering my nips when the shower head hits my boobs. shit used to hurt so baddddd

And I would do something oil-based rather than normal lotion or moisturizer. Olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, etc. The more pure the better. You could be drying out because of an ingredient in the moisturizer.

soepje

What the crap.
Lol, i got this one right after clicking the thread. 'Fantasy game for grown ups', 'No kids allowed'.. At least i´m invited i guess :p
by7rr8k.jpg

Sorry for the creepy bump, but when you shower, don't soap up your nips.

That's what I had to do while breastfeeding, partially because the soap was too harsh and they would crack and partially because it hurt to rinse them off. I still find myself covering my nips when the shower head hits my boobs. shit used to hurt so baddddd

And I would do something oil-based rather than normal lotion or moisturizer. Olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, etc. The more pure the better. You could be drying out because of an ingredient in the moisturizer.

Huh, that explains a lot of things related to how women shower.
The more you know!

Hey Girl Gaffers!

I have a question regarding Engagement Rings.

I live in the UK and I'm looking for something unusual (Not a boring single Diamond type ring).

Was wondering, any know of good websites for that sort of stuff?

Also have any of you bought jewellery online from America to be imported? Did you need to pay tax?

Thank you!

Atsumi

Hey Girl Gaffers!

I have a question regarding Engagement Rings.

I live in the UK and I'm looking for something unusual (Not a boring single Diamond type ring).

Was wondering, any know of good websites for that sort of stuff?

Also have any of you bought jewellery online from America to be imported? Did you need to pay tax?

Thank you!

I'm not sure what your price range is, but something like this is really cool. http://www.etsy.com/listing/1200861...uery=engagement+ring+meteorite&ga_ref=related

There are actually quite a few different meteorite bands around if that would be something interesting to you.

http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.com/Damascus_Rings_Meteorite_Rings/Meteorite_Rings/

Pau

If you're serious I'm down ^____^
I am serious! Would you be down for joining a gym? I find that if I pay gym membership, I feel much more obligated to work out so that I'm not wasting the money.

bicep curls and squats

makes me feel good
Bicep curls destroy me. My arms are terrible. And then I look over at Karkador and he's just pumping away like nothing with like twice the weight. :mad:

I am serious! Would you be down for joining a gym? I find that if I pay gym membership, I feel much more obligated to work out so that I'm not wasting the money.

If you do it together either one of you can start and have her as a guest a couple times and other gyms do a thing where if someone gets someone to join that person has to pay less.

Bicep curls destroy me. My arms are terrible. And then I look over at Karkador and he's just pumping away like nothing with like twice the weight. :mad:

What weight are you doing?

Pau

If you do it together either one of you can start and have her as a guest a couple times and other gyms do a thing where if someone gets someone to join that person has to pay less.

What weight are you doing?
Oh, that's a good idea. :O

And the class we do is based more on a lot of repetitions so the weight isn't even that high for me. :/ I've had to go down to 4 kgs on the bar, which I don't think weighs very much...

Oh, that's a good idea. :O

And the class we do is based more on a lot of repetitions so the weight isn't even that high for me. :/ I've had to go down to 4 kgs on the bar, which I don't think weighs very much...

So 8 ish pounds? Lot of repetitions? Honestly I did heavy weight with few reps and then adding more weight/reps as I go along. I'm up to 20 lbs.

Pau

So 8 ish pounds? Lot of repetitions? Honestly I did heavy weight with few reps and then adding more weight/reps as I go along. I'm up to 20 lbs.
What weight did you start with and how long did it take you to get there?

I'm afraid of doing stuff outside of a class because I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this kind of stuff. But I don't have anything really better to do with my days and since my surgeon said it was okay to go back to exercising, I really should take advantage of it and go even when there isn't a class.

What weight did you start with and how long did it take you to get there?

I'm afraid of doing stuff outside of a class because I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this kind of stuff. But I don't have anything really better to do with my days and since my surgeon said it was okay to go back to exercising, I really should take advantage of it and go even when there isn't a class.

10 lbs. Added 5 when I felt that I wasn't pushing myself.

Kisaya

Gym sounds good! Someplace convenient for the both of us. I just need to get that flat stomach really :B

Tash

Hey girls, I've been following a good weight program by Natalie Jill. Got PDFs with nutrition and workout schedules on dropbox. Send me a PM if you are interested :)

Doing Bench Presses and Squats and Deadlifts just makes you feel like a badass..it's totally awesome :D

Tash

Flat stomachs are made in the kitchen!
If that's a goal, you just need to do some cardio work and consume fewer calories than you end up burning.

Would be nice if it was that easy..cardio does not work if you are already quite thin. Weight and core training is much better (no I do not mean crunches but plank work and deadlifts). Cardio is ok if you mean HIIT training but jogging and slow cardio won't work even if you have a caloric deficit. Not to mention, if you are already thing you actually need to eat more to make sure you are not in starvation mode. Those last few inches of layers over your belly are the hardest.

I totally agree though that abs are made in the kitchen. For a girl you need as low as 15 and less % body fat to reveal abs iirc. The super ripped abs you see in bikini contests are around 8 to 11% but it is of course a bit different from person to person.

Would be nice if it was that easy..cardio does not work if you are already quite thin. Weight and core training is much better (no I do not mean crunches but plank work and deadlifts). Cardio is ok if you mean HIIT training but jogging and slow cardio won't work even if you have a caloric deficit. Not to mention, if you are already thing you actually need to eat more to make sure you are not in starvation mode. Those last few inches of layers over your belly are the hardest.

I totally agree though that abs are made in the kitchen. For a girl you need as low as 15 and less % body fat to reveal abs iirc. The super ripped abs you see in bikini contests are around 8 to 11% but it is of course a bit different from person to person.

You are absolutely right!
It looks like Girlgaf got someone with all the know-how, so they're all yours :D

Kisaya

I'm a little under 110 pounds right now and 5'2", pretty petite. Thin upperbody, arms and legs, but most of my weight goes to my lower body area. I've had a gut since I was a kid and never outgrew it, and I'm afraid even being active won't get rid of it :(

I'm not looking for abs, I just want to feel less insecure in some of my clothing without having to suck in my stomach :( It's like a little alien belly ; ;

Tash

I'm a little under 110 pounds right now and 5'2", pretty petite. Thin upperbody, arms and legs, but most of my weight goes to my lower body area. I've had a gut since I was a kid and never outgrew it, and I'm afraid even being active won't get rid of it :(

I'm not looking for abs, I just want to feel less insecure in some of my clothing without having to suck in my stomach :( It's like a little alien belly ; ;

I hear you girl :)
Lower body as in thighs and butt as well or only belly?
If it's only belly, you are a typical apple and if it is thighs and butt (like me) you are a typical pear.

Also if you are thin but have a belly or a butt and thighs you want to reduce you are basically "skinny fat" (like me). That means you look great in clothing but it's not as perfect as it looks when naked :p

The problem, as mentioned before, is that cardio won't help in this case. Cardio is great if you need to lose weight in general but it won't help if you want to re-composition your body (which is basically what we want to do, since we do not want to get even skinnier at the top but balance out areas).

In this case weight training is better. I had to learn that the hard way myself. Building lean muscles will automatically increase the rate you burn fat since your body needs to work more to move all those muscles (don't get a bodybuilder impression now though..).

This is what I looked like after doing weight training and Yoga (a few years ago but I am just about to get back into working out properly now). Note the flat tummy :D
I tried cardio stuff before but just did not get anywhere (and I find running horribly boring) then I got into P90X by Beachbody and eventually read up on why weight training is so much better (Natalie Jill's PDF is a great read on why weight training works for both weight loss and body composition). There is still some cardio I do but it's mostly HIIT and kickboxing related so I am training strength the same time still.

yoga.jpg

Also, eating clean helps a lot with tummies:
No soda and refined crap
cut out salt and sodium in general since there is enough sodium in natural products to begin with. Salt in food only makes us bloat and hold into water in the tissue
and LOTS of water.

Kisaya

Lower body as in thighs and butt as well or only belly?
If it's only belly, you are a typical apple and if it is thighs and butt (like me) you are a typical pear.

Also if you are thin but have a belly or a butt and thighs you want to reduce you are basically "skinny fat" (like me). That means you look great in clothing but it's not as perfect as it looks when naked :p

The problem, as mentioned before, is that cardio won't help in this case. Cardio is great if you need to lose weight in general but it won't help if you want to re-composition your body (which is basically what we want to do, since we do not want to get even skinnier at the top but balance out areas).

In this case weight training is better. I had to learn that the hard way myself. Building lean muscles will automatically increase the rate you burn fat since your body needs to work more to move all those muscles (don't get a bodybuilder impression now though..).

This is what I looked like after doing weight training and Yoga (a few years ago but I am just about to get back into working out properly now). Note the flat tummy :D
I tried cardio stuff before but just did not get anywhere (and I find running horribly boring) then I got into P90X by Beachbody and eventually read up on why weight training is so much better (Natalie Jill's PDF is a great read on why weight training works for both weight loss and body composition). There is still some cardio I do but it's mostly HIIT and kickboxing related so I am training strength the same time still.

yoga.jpg

Yup, that's me. I heard that weight training would help and it's something I need to start doing. Thanks for this post though, it means a lot ; ; I'll use it for reference!!

Also, eating clean helps a lot with tummies:
No soda and refined crap
cut out salt and sodium in general since there is enough sodium in natural products to begin with. Salt in food only makes us bloat and hold into water in the tissue
and LOTS of water.

Yeah, cut sugar by a lot last year and I rarely drink anything aside from water now. I need to work on the salty foods now :l

It's relatively old but maybe this is a small inspiration :)
It has before and after pictures (I made it after I was so totally over the moon with the results I got from following the programs, I do NOT mean to say these are the best or that you need to go out buying them. It's just what worked for me :))

Corny Before and After Workout Story Video thingie.

Wow.

It might be a small before and after, but the fact you took control is beautiful. Mad respect Tash.

Also, thanks, I just found a new awesome track for my playlist :p

Tash

Wow.

It might be a small before and after, but the fact you took control is beautiful. Mad respect Tash.

Also, thanks, I just found a new awesome track for my playlist :p

<3 thanks :)
Was more about quality of life and control over the body than a weight loss story.

Also, Shinedown is pretty cool for some songs. Some are a bit too commercial but others are pretty awesome, yeah.

Zoe

Sounds like Body Pump which is cardio more than anything else. The reps are in the hundreds.

You do gain some strength as a beginner, but you're really building your endurance.

Tash

I am generally in favour of heavy weights
8 reps for gain (well not gain as in Schwarzenegger..) but strength and definition
12-16 rep for cardio strength.

Also the last rep in any set should be REALLY hard. That gives you an idea where to start weight wise.
Add weights every week to increase otherwise you are not really gaining anything but just working out a bit. ;)

Kimaka

Can you get someone who works there to help? Weights can be pretttty good tbh.

Yeah. I sometimes see trainers walking around I just have to stop being shy about it lol

I'm pretty new fitness(been sedentary mostly) and these posts have been very inspiring and helpful. Whenever I try to get into shape I never know where to start and your posts have given me some sort of idea what I can incorporate into my routine.

meow

Thank you for this!! I don't usually visit this thread but I wandered in today and I'm so glad I did. I'm definitely skinny fat. I'm pretty small but I am WEAK. Quite a while back I did month 1 of Insanity "lite" (I didn't do one every day because I didn't like having to shower every day so it took me like 2.5 months to get through :p and month 2 seemed too intense). My legs were apparently amazing looking but I still had belly flab.

Most of the exercise I do now is cardio. I've (not purposely) lost a few pounds but I still have belly fat. ANYWAY, I'm going to look more into weight training. If you've got any suggestions on where to start, I'd love to hear them. :) And I'm off to google in the meantime.

suzu

I need to lose weight after binging this year, so this recent page has been helpful. lol

For working out: What are your daily meals usually like?

Nudull

Banned
Most of the exercise I do now is cardio. I've (not purposely) lost a few pounds but I still have belly fat.

That's been the same case for me. :eek: I've been doing a lot better with things compared to three or so years ago, but I still have a ways to go. I should really try to get some gym time in again without my folks hounding me about it.

Tash

The problem is:
Cardio does burn fat all over IF you have a lot to lose. But if you are pear shaped or apple shaped and want to balance out your body a bit more or if you want to get rid of those last super stubborn reserves you need to turn it up a notch. Otherwise you basically just end up being a smaller pear or a smaller apple ;)
The thing is that, as mentioned, if you gain a bit of muscles you are burning much more and on top add lean muscles to the areas that might look too thin compared to your belly or butty or thighs.

Something really important though if you start out with a bit of resistance/strength training and have not done it before: Do NOT freak out if you feel like all of a sudden your thighs are bigger, or your arms if you train arms. That is only because you are not used to the exercise and your body pulls water into the muscles to help them repair the microscopic tears that occur in the muscle tissue. This tears are needed and is what makes you grow stronger (to explain it in laymen's terms :)).

When I started with weights I freaked out because after one of my first leg focused days I wanted to go out and was planning on wearing my fav denims but couldn't fit them over my big thighs. I stopped immediately with the training because I thought I am bulking up and getting all Schwarzenegger which I do not want to do.
After I learned a bit more about the whole thing I pushed through and ended up having to buy new pants (smaller ones..while actually weighing a bit more because muscle tissue is heavier than the same amount of fat tissue, another super weird thing that confuses people..).

Anyway,
Here is some workout program that might be fun for you guys. Give it a go if you want :)
12 Week Super Shred for Women
12 Week Super Shred Meal Plan
12 Week Super Shred Videos

Also, lifting heavy is fun :D
I felt like a little badass doing benchpresses in the gym and the guy next to me doing the same weight (he was just warming up of course while I was at my max, but still :p)

Tash

I need to lose weight after binging this year, so this recent page has been helpful. lol

For working out: What are your daily meals usually like?

I like to eat more often but smaller meals during the day (I eat around every 3 to 4 hours).

My all time favorite is a quick shake I can make in my blender:

Frozen Strawberries
Protein Powder of your choice (I like Vanilla flavoured ones the best)
Almond Milk (or normal milk but I have issues with lactose)
a bit of water
Walnuts
Mix and enjoy :)

Or Oatmeal with fresh blueberries and walnuts is awesome too

For Snacks my favs are:
Greek yoghurt with either an apple or blueberries mixed in, walnuts and a bit of honey
Quest Protein bars (expensive but the cookie dough once are totally awesome)

normal lunch or dinner:
I try to not eat carbs too much and when I do I try to make it whole wheat but I am a big fan of couscous and quinoa.
I eat a lot of chicken and fish and avoid red meat (that's because of my illness).
Fresh veggies specially broccoli is awesome (even though I am not so much a fan of the taste that thing is the best thing you can eat for pretty much everything involving your health).

I take some supplements too such as:
Multivitamin with iron and omega 3

Other then that, I drink water, lots and lots of water :D

Atsumi

These tips are awesome. I'm a definite pear (32-26-39) and was wondering why I couldn't get rid of any of my bottom-half fat on the treadmill/doing cardio stuff. I prefer strength anyways, and I need to work on what I eat.

Tash

Yup I like the gold standard too.
I am always afraid that it has tons of crap in it but this one seems to be safe and tastes good too.

Generally, it does not matter much. If you go to a gym store just tell them that you do not look for added stuff and want just a basic one they will recommend something that is ok.
There is soy and whey and other versions of protein but I personally like whey best. Difference are not important if you are not competing or trying to do something super hardcore :)

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I want to go back to working out and lose a bit of weight and tone up my bum and stomach but bad knee prevents me from doing much. :( there must be some exercises that you can do that aren't too taxing on your knees.

Pau

I want to go back to working out and lose a bit of weight and tone up my bum and stomach but bad knee prevents me from doing much. :( there must be some exercises that you can do that aren't too taxing on your knees.
My sister has the same problem with making sure to do exercises that don't hurt her knees. I'll ask her what she does. :)

Good news: my mom got the momma cat and her kitties into the house.
So jealous. But that is really good! :3

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
My sister has the same problem with making sure to do exercises that don't hurt her knees. I'll ask her what she does. :)

Oh, that'd be lovely, thank you. :D My knees aren't as bad as they used to be a few months ago but I still don't want to do something too vigorous.

I am not fat but I do have a bit of a tummy that I want to work on. Also, in the last year or so I lost a lot of weight and went dangerously under-weight and lost all my muscle mass. I was practically a skeleton! I feel quite healthy now so I thought I would get off my arse and do some exercises to get back in shape but I don't want to put too much stress on my knee. My doctor says I should let it heal properly and not do anything too taxing for a year or so but I want to get back in shape asap.

Oh, that'd be lovely, thank you. :D My knees aren't as bad as they used to be a few months ago but I still don't want to do something too vigorous.

I am not fat but I do have a bit of a tummy that I want to work on. Also, in the last year or so I lost a lot of weight and went dangerously under-weight and lost all my muscle mass. I was practically a skeleton! I feel quite healthy now so I thought I would get off my arse and do some exercises to get back in shape but I don't want to put too much stress on my knee. My doctor says I should let it heal properly and not do anything too taxing for a year or so but I want to get back in shape asap.

I've had knee problems all my life. Depending on what you've done to your knee, you could try a few basic things that should help to strengthen the muscles surrounding it:

Sit on the edge of a chair and, with back straight and legs together, lift thighs off chair. Then extend ankles (at same time) slowly until your legs are nearly straight (remember, never lock a joint in exercise), then release to start again. 15 reps. Tie cans of pop (full ones...) around your ankles to add weight.

standing lunge with rear leg on chair/second step/something approximately knee-height. 12-15 on each leg.

calf raises (strengthening *all* muscles around the knee is important, for support). 15-20 on each leg.

Step-ups - find a box or something that's 12-18 inches off the ground. Step up with one leg, rise to step, lower. This isn't a *complete* step, NB: you never "step down" with the other leg, it's just rise and lower. x15 on each leg.

Abductor/adductor exercises: these will help your stabilizers, which are particularly important if you have meniscus, acl, or mcl injuries. Lie on your side with a weight of some sort over your thigh. Prop your body up on your elbow, and then with legs straight, raise the outer leg about 30 degrees. Hold, then lower. x15 on both legs. Then, prop yourself Burt Reynolds style (but with clothes on), with the weight on your inner thigh. Raise your inner leg (you'll probably only be able to get 20 degrees on the inner thigh). Hold and lower, repeat for both legs, 15 reps each.

As always though, it's best to talk to your doc/physiotherapist before embarking on therapeutic exercises - they and you, together, are the best people to assess whether you're ready to start exercising, and what kind of intensity/muscle focus you're ready for.

As your doc probably knows, there are "physio" style exercises and "weight training" style exercises - while the techniques you employ to do them correctly are universal, the first style helps your body heal itself, while the second style goes further, once your body *is* healed.

Tash

Awwwww kittens!
Hopefully once we are done with the biggest stuff renovation wise we can get two little buggers too :)
I've had cats all my life but after moving to Greece and then to Norway it never was possible.
We discussed getting two Norwegian forest cats and I keep an eye out for ads around the area for kitten give-aways. Otherwise I probably want to get two siblings from a shelter and give them a good home.

Also taking of kittens: You girls probably saw it already but I just discovered it now. So incredibly heart warming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynt2N67O0ww

Re knee issues:
Great advice with the exercises above. The first time I started with Plyometrics and Insanity workouts (lots of jumping) I got issues as well. What I did was getting light ankle weights and doing those exercises every time I watched TV. If you do a program (ie. Beachbody stuff or others) they most of the time also have alternatives and people who show you modifications for lower impact.

meow

Anyway,
Here is some workout program that might be fun for you guys. Give it a go if you want :)
12 Week Super Shred for Women
12 Week Super Shred Meal Plan
12 Week Super Shred Videos
:p)
Thanks very much!! I read over these this weekend and have been trying to follow the meal plan guide (I was almost crying when it said no grains, no sugar) and have been on it only the past two days (with cheating, I can't cold turkey it).

omg it is so hard. I realized I eat a LOT of carbs. I had two fried eggs for breakfast this morning with a bit of cheddar cheese around 8 am and I go so hungry around 10:30 I had to eat a granola bar. ~_~ And then I had lunch around 1 (salad w/ chicken and carrots) and some greek yogurt (and...chips...) and two hours later, the only thing I want to do is go home and bake brownies.

Are protein shakes filling? Never had them...

Top Bottom