• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Anastasia

What up, GirlGAF. Haven't posted here in a while, but I figure now's a good of a time as any.

Two friends and I were shopping around White House Black Market when we decided to start trying on dresses we couldn't afford. Because torturing ourselves is fun, right? Anyway, one of my friends ended up taking this picture.

I'm on the left. Cheers!

You look great! I love that dress too; it's very classy.

How is the clothing at White House Black Market? I've never been to one, but from what I have seen online they have some nice styles. I think there's a location in Asheville; I might go check it out sometime.

You look great! I love that dress too; it's very classy.

How is the clothing at White House Black Market? I've never been to one, but from what I have seen online they have some nice styles. I think there's a location in Asheville; I might go check it out sometime.

Their stuff is so good, but so expensive. Well worth the price, though. I think the average price in the store is around $80, but most of it eventually moves to the sale section which is where I go. The dress was $160. It's lucky I had so little money right now otherwise I would've bought it. Might stock the store to see when the put it on sale...

And thanks!

isuzu

sooo, anyone here digs red lipstick? what are your favorite brands and shades?

OZt5gIl.jpg

I'm wearing some brazilian brand that I just bought and it's pretty great. Kinda matte but not very dry. I also bought some Ruby Woo (expensive as fuck if you live here) and I hope it's as great as people say!

Kisaya

I used to wear this one red a lot, but it would bleed and I was always too lazy to get myself a lip liner. I think this is the only pic I have of me wearing it.

tumblr_mkedpiLhwo1qco4e5o1_1280.jpg

I bought this different shade that's sorta a dark pink/red. Intsagram filters don't really give you an idea of what it's like, but I like it a lot more :B

b229ad82c16c11e286e122000a9e080f_6.jpg

1f7f8a18fac611e2846522000a1f9d5a_6.jpg

I always wanted to rock out a dark lip though :(

isuzu

I've never found a lipstick that suited my skin color :( all I wear is slightly tinted lip glosses

Really? If that's you in your avatar, then your skin seems to be pretty fair, which means you can pretty much wear any red lipstick (or almost any other color) you can come across!

I used to wear this one red a lot, but it would bleed and I was always too lazy to get myself a lip liner. I think this is the only pic I have of me wearing it.

tumblr_mkedpiLhwo1qco4e5o1_1280.jpg

I bought this different shade that's sorta a dark pink/red. Intsagram filters don't really give you an idea of what it's like, but I like it a lot more :B

b229ad82c16c11e286e122000a9e080f_6.jpg

1f7f8a18fac611e2846522000a1f9d5a_6.jpg

I always wanted to rock out a dark lip though :(

oh wow this really really reallyyy looks good on you. jeeealous :D

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Really? If that's you in your avatar, then your skin seems to be pretty fair, which means you can pretty much wear any red lipstick (or almost any other color) you can come across!
Yeah thats me in my avatar. When I wore red lipstick once I thought I looked like a clown. This was many years ago though. Perhaps I'll try it again one day. My tastes have changed dramatically.

I really like that first red one Kisaya! Very pretty.

Lipstick always ends up looking weird on me. I too can't find a shade I like.

Yeah, me too. Usually I go for lipgloss, or something close to my natural shade like light pinks and oranges. I remember wearing this lovely red lipstick to work one day and one of my coworkers going "oh my god, you're bleeding!" ><

Kimaka

Last time I tried putting lipstick on I couldn't wait to take it off. I hated the feeling and I also had the tendency to lick it off. I kinda wish I liked makeup more because it looks pretty but I fail at keeping/putting it on.

Ezalc

Sorry for the question but:

How do you know if you're the rebound guy? Is there anyway to try and make it so that doesn't happen? Does such a thing even exist?

Kisaya

You share my love for boy shorts too?

Btw, feedback on your red lips. I think they look great depending on the color of the hijab. Like, the grey hijab mixed with that red lipstick and the black under the hijab is beautiful.

Boy shorts are hot as hell. I need to buy more.

Thanks everyone btw :x And yeah I've noticed certain shades look better and stand out depending on what scarf I wear xD

Last time I tried putting lipstick on I couldn't wait to take it off. I hated the feeling and I also had the tendency to lick it off. I kinda wish I liked makeup more because it looks pretty but I fail at keeping/putting it on.

haha, I'm the complete opposite. I get nervous when I can't feel lip gloss on my lips :s I haven't left home without it since... grade four?

I gave up on makeup, fuck it.

Also was Yard Sale hoppin' today. Carried some end tables back home. Tomorrow my arms and feet are going to throw fits.

not gonna lie, deep down I'm a fool for make up, high heels and all that other "girly" stuff. I just enjoy it a whole lot. which is funny since I often get the reaction that I seem more boyish because of my interests.
so apparently it's a mix of both gender clichees and it confuses the shit out of some people which is also always funny :D

I gave up on makeup, fuck it.

Also was Yard Sale hoppin' today. Carried some end tables back home. Tomorrow my arms and feet are going to throw fits.

A little can be fun/do wonders. I definitely can't pull off anything like Kisaya does, but a bit of that dewy blush does amazing things for the overall 'glow' look. Lipstick is a tough one, though. :/

In the end, minimal to no make-up seems best because 1) it doesn't destroy your skin and 2) it's how you naturally look, and I think it's healthier to feel comfortable in your own skin than put on a mask every day. Relying on it for confidence rather than just having fun with it seems to be bad mojo based on what I've seen.

It's at the point where if I do wear some to work people comment and I'm embarrassed. :p

not gonna lie, deep down I'm a fool for make up, high heels and all that other "girly" stuff. I just enjoy it a whole lot. which is funny since I often get the reaction that I seem more boyish because of my interests.
so apparently it's a mix of both gender clichees and it confuses the shit out of some people which is also always funny :D

I wish we all (humans) weren't so bad with generalizing like that. Just because you like make-up/more cosmetic stuff doesn't mean you can't like video games/sports/you name it, and just because you like the rougher stuff doesn't mean you can't enjoy a bit of dress up or pampering. We'd all be happier if we indulged in both sides of the coin, I say!

I wish we all (humans) weren't so bad with generalizing like that. Just because you like make-up/more cosmetic stuff doesn't mean you can't like video games/sports/you name it, and just because you like the rougher stuff doesn't mean you can't enjoy a bit of dress up or pampering. We'd all be happier if we indulged in both sides of the coin, I say!

real talk. I actually always had a hard time "fitting in" because of this. but it got better since I got more comfortable with it myself. still some weird reactions here and there but I don't care that much anymore tbh :D

edit: to get back on track: lipstick isn't for me though. it prevents you from eating and kissing :3
...well at least it's bothering.

I only put on make up when I go out to parties, but I kinda have fun doing it.

I'll do it, but it won't be pretty.

trab, what do you mean lipstick prevents you from kissing?
That's how you mark your territory :p

My boyfriend refuses to kiss me with lipgloss on. He doesn't like the sticky feeling :(

Leeness

So! I now make Adult Money and I'm gonna go on my first trip, probably in May next year.

Have any of you ladies gone to Paris on your own? :) Or gone travelling on your own? Any tips for a girl travelling on her own?

So! I now make Adult Money and I'm gonna go on my first trip, probably in May next year.

Have any of you ladies gone to Paris on your own? :) Or gone travelling on your own? Any tips for a girl travelling on her own?

Don't be embarrassed about doing anything just because you're by yourself/ a tourist. There were a couple of times when I was in Japan and felt incredibly dorky doing X by myself, but then I just thought "screw it, I'm here to have fun and I'll never see any of these strangers again". You've got all this time to do fun stuff and you don't have to worry about dragging other people around! If you can get international roaming etc, keeping your cell on you just in case is probably a good idea too just in case you get lost/ bad stuff happens. And most of all, have a great time :D

Leeness

Don't be embarrassed about doing anything just because you're by yourself/ a tourist. There were a couple of times when I was in Japan and felt incredibly dorky doing X by myself, but then I just thought "screw it, I'm here to have fun and I'll never see any of these strangers again". You've got all this time to do fun stuff and you don't have to worry about dragging other people around! If you can get international roaming etc, keeping your cell on you just in case is probably a good idea too just in case you get lost/ bad stuff happens. And most of all, have a great time :D

Definitely no shame in doing things on my own! I'm always going to dinner or movies on my own :)

I'll probably have my phone and iPad on me so that should be good!

Congrats on the big girl job! I hope to be there one day. I've never been to Paris let alone by myself. If TV has taught me anything though it's to avoid amorous skunks. That's all the advice I have to give.

Does anyone here take antidepressants?

SmokyDave

Mornin' ladies. Just dropping by.

Such a good mentality. Whenever me or the missus are a bit jumpy about something in a strange place I always say the same thing. You'll never see those people again in your life, so who cares what they may or may not think?

Nudull

Banned

You've been to Japan? How nice, it's been a dream trip of mine, too. :3 A pretty good mentality and chunk of advice all around, as SmokyDave said.

Leeness

Learn French! Or at least a little bit. In my very limited travels abroad, I've found that it helps massively to know the language of the locals.

Hmmmm. I'll give it a shot! Haha. 7th grade French, don't fail me now!

Congrats on the big girl job! I hope to be there one day. I've never been to Paris let alone by myself. If TV has taught me anything though it's to avoid amorous skunks. That's all the advice I have to give.

Will avoid Pepe lePew.

I do take antidepressants though I don't think I need them anymore. I'll skip a bunch of days and it won't make a difference.

MollyAttack

Neo Member

I did, but I just recently got off them as I didn't feel they're doing me any good. I was taking an anti-depressant and a different medication together to get the desired effect, but soon figured out the other medication was what was actually helping me so I stopped the anti-depressant and now I'm just taking the other one.

soepje

Hmmmm. I'll give it a shot! Haha. 7th grade French, don't fail me now!
I´ve been to Paris, great city! But they really don´t want to speak any English, even in restaurants full of tourists the waiters tend to stick to their french. They understand it perfectly though :p
Either way, have a great trip!

I´ve been to Paris, great city! But they really don´t want to speak any English, even in restaurants full of tourists the waiters tend to stick to their french. They understand it perfectly though :p
Either way, have a great trip!

They also appreciate it if you try your best in french, so any french is better than none.

Top Bottom