• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?
Creole lady Marmalade~

Ou est la biblioteque?

And if song lyrics fail you, this might be a good idea:

point-it-travel-book-1-lg.jpg

Pau

Congrats on the big girl job! I hope to be there one day. I've never been to Paris let alone by myself. If TV has taught me anything though it's to avoid amorous skunks. That's all the advice I have to give.

Does anyone here take antidepressants?
I'm on Lexapro. It's helped a lot with anxiety and making my lows not quite as low. But my sex drive also took a hit because of it.

I do take antidepressants though I don't think I need them anymore. I'll skip a bunch of days and it won't make a difference.

That's not how anti-depressants work. You need to take a steady dose for it to actually start accumulating in the brain. Usually around 3-4 weeks, maybe more. By skipping doses you are actually not getting the amount needed to correctly influence the uptake of seratonin or whatever neurotransmitter your meds are working on. Or you can fall into discontinuation syndrome. Nor does taking more one day influence your mood that quickly. If you do believe that they aren't effective, talk to your psychiatrist for dosage and maybe another medication.

Leeness

That's not how anti-depressants work. You need to take a steady dose for it to actually start accumulating in the brain. Usually around 3-4 weeks, maybe more. By skipping doses you are actually not getting the amount needed to correctly influence the uptake of seratonin or whatever neurotransmitter your meds are working on. Or you can fall into discontinuation syndrome. Nor does taking more one day influence your mood that quickly. If you do believe that they aren't effective, talk to your psychiatrist for dosage and maybe another medication.

Oh no, I know. I was taking them to boost my depression months ago and they did help. I just think I'm at a point where I don't really need them now, that's all.

I don't think I need them as a long term thing, and my doctor didn't either when she prescribed them to me. They were more to help me as I went through therapy and fixed issues I had. :)

Leeness

Don't worry, even Bart managed to learn French before he died on the street! Just don't let a donkey have your hat.

Hahaha. :p

YOU GUYS, BOOOOOO someone broke into our house today and took stuff from my mommy :(

Even though I'm sad that took my moms stuff...thank GOD they didn't go in my room. Expensive shit up the wazoo in there (and my new iPad).

I would second the French suggestion. At least have a working framework for it. Most people will know English, of course, but from my understanding of what my college professor told us (she was born and lived in Tours for most of her life), people will be much more friendly if you at least make an effort to communicate in French.

They might stop you because of how atrocious it is, but they will more than likely be more friendly since you made the attempt.

If you ever want to check your learning or progress with it, you know how to get a hold of me. :p almost to the point where I can be fluent with it.

Tash

Hahaha. :p

YOU GUYS, BOOOOOO someone broke into our house today and took stuff from my mommy :(

Even though I'm sad that took my moms stuff...thank GOD they didn't go in my room. Expensive shit up the wazoo in there (and my new iPad).

WTF that sucks, sorry to hear that :(

I've never found a lipstick that suited my skin color :( all I wear is slightly tinted lip glosses

I have the same problem. I think red just doesnt' suit me and the problem is that I have a lot of red pigments in my lips which makes even brown lipstick look way more red than they should be..

So, I am mostly going for nude colored stuff or gloss. That's also though because I like to smokey eye my eyes and I feel lipstick would be too much with that. I don't like to look like I fell into a pot of paint..

On that note, I have such a hatred for girls who use too much perfume..makes me want to throw a bucket of water on them. Body lotions are so much nicer..

On the Paris topic:
French people are kinda snobby and french is quite difficult to learn (since I am Swiss I speak all three languages we have in our country and I hated learning French the most :p)
Other than that. Make sure to visit the Louvre and Quartier du Latin (also, the Mona Lisa was sooooooooooooooo much smaller than I thought it would be!)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hate barging in on you ladies talking in French (I think that's what's happening here) - just another awkward boyfriend asking some girls for advice on a birthday gift post, you haven't had one of those in a while right?

I got my girlfriend a wacom pad, nothing to pricey, the one around 80 bucks on Amazon. She's been trying to get back into art, but the whole canvas and eisel thing isn't always an option, and this is a bit out of the box so I'm pretty sure it'll be a solid gift.

My questions: I also have been thinking about getting her a new shoulder bag that could hold her laptop and this pad, but also look sufficiently girly for her tastes - by that I mean, colorful in what you might traditionally say are "girl colours". This is surprisingly hard to find, at least for me, so can anyone point me to some good options? 17" laptop if it's important.

Also, I know there are a lot of artists in here, or at least dabbles, are there any tips, accessories or software that would make this gift even a little bit cooler?

I'd appreciate any help, and sorry for barging in again!

Hate barging in on you ladies talking in French (I think that's what's happening here) - just another awkward boyfriend asking some girls for advice on a birthday gift post, you haven't had one of those in a while right?

I got my girlfriend a wacom pad, nothing to pricey, the one around 80 bucks on Amazon. She's been trying to get back into art, but the whole canvas and eisel thing isn't always an option, and this is a bit out of the box so I'm pretty sure it'll be a solid gift.

My questions: I also have been thinking about getting her a new shoulder bag that could hold her laptop and this pad, but also look sufficiently girly for her tastes - by that I mean, colorful in what you might traditionally say are "girl colours". This is surprisingly hard to find, at least for me, so can anyone point me to some good options? 17" laptop if it's important.

Also, I know there are a lot of artists in here, or at least dabbles, are there any tips, accessories or software that would make this gift even a little bit cooler?

Amazon has a whole subcatergory for feminine laptop cases. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_1724...bbn=172470&ie=UTF8&qid=1378325192&rnid=172470

Tash

Photoshop ;)
And you could get her a subscription to Imagine FX maybe. Both me and my boyfriend have done tutorials and Q&A for that Magazine.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Thanks! Looking through them now, hopefully some of this translates over the the Canadian site.

Do you perhaps know her favorite colour?
Might be safer to stick with that than "girl colours".

Her favourite colour(s) are pink and purple depending on her moods, but I am pretty sure pink has very specific use cases - purple would be more applicable here.

Photoshop ;)
And you could get her a subscription to Imagine FX maybe. Both me and my boyfriend have done tutorials and Q&A for that Magazine.

Photoshop subscription would probably be a good idea then? Maybe get her a few months - I wasn't sure if the functionality was proprietary with the wacom software.

Tash

Thanks! Looking through them now, hopefully some of this translates over the the Canadian site.

Her favourite colour(s) are pink and purple depending on her moods, but I am pretty sure pink has very specific use cases - purple would be more applicable here.

Photoshop subscription would probably be a good idea then? Maybe get her a few months - I wasn't sure if the functionality was proprietary with the wacom software.

Yes a few month to see if she likes the software. Most of us digital artists use either Photoshop or Painter but Photoshop is easier to get into imo.

Never noticed how hot Loki is :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ubVVnWglk#t=61

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I love using lipsticks, especially love using darker lipsticks as stains that won't come off even if you kiss. I have fair olive skintone so almost every lipstick colour looks good on me. I only really use concealers and lipstick most days sometimes I add liner too but I do use other stuff when I'm going partying or doing something special. I keep it natural looking everywhere else especially when I'm using darker lipsticks. I wish I could rock smokey eyes but I suck at doing those and I'd probably end up looking like a panda anyway. :p

I hate lipglosses because of the sticky yucky feeling, ugh!! Prefer tinted lip balms that sink in. As far as makeup goes, I just don't get why some women load up on bronzers, so cheap looking. Same for really fake looking heavy lashes I dpn't get fake lashes in general, must be really uncomfortable to wear those.

Oh, and I find the guy who plays Loki waaay way hotter than the main dude!!

Tash

I love using lipsticks, especially love using darker lipsticks as stains that won't come off even if you kiss. I have fair olive skintone so almost every lipstick colour looks good on me. I only really use concealers and lipstick most days sometimes I add liner too but I do use other stuff when I'm going partying or doing something special. I keep it natural looking everywhere else especially when I'm using darker lipsticks. I wish I could rock smokey eyes but I suck at doing those and I'd probably end up looking like a panda anyway. :p

I hate lipglosses because of the sticky yucky feeling, ugh!! Prefer tinted lip balms that sink in. As far as makeup goes, I just don't get why some women load up on bronzers, so cheap looking. Same for really fake looking heavy lashes I dpn't get fake lashes in general, must be really uncomfortable to wear those.

Oh, and I find the guy who plays Loki waaay way hotter than the main dude!!

How I do fast smokey eyes when I am late:

• Draw a line with black kajal close to lashes on upper lid. This does not have to be neat at all.
  • Drag kajal tip between your eye a few times while closed (might feel weird at first). Press your eye together and drag the kajal back and forth to give the inner eyelid color.
  • Use some of those brushes or applicator you normally use to add eyeshadow and smudge the black line you made earlier into the lid. Reapply another line of black kajal close to your upper eyelashes, rinse and repeat if you want a more darker look. It will automatically create a fade effect into your lid.
  • Last use the the brush you used to smudge out the top line and use some left over through the lower lashes close to the rim but keep it around the outer corner.
  • Apply Mascara done.

Totally agree on the bronzer and eyelashes. I tried once to add fake ones but it made me look like a clown and I took them off immediately. I would also be super stressed while wearing them and afraid they would fall of..

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
How I do fast smokey eyes when I am late:

• Draw a line with black kajal close to lashes on upper lid. This does not have to be neat at all.
  • Drag kajal tip between your eye a few times while closed (might feel weird at first). Press your eye together and drag the kajal back and forth to give the inner eyelid color.
  • Use some of those brushes or applicator you normally use to add eyeshadow and smudge the black line you made earlier into the lid. Reapply another line of black kajal close to your upper eyelashes, rinse and repeat if you want a more darker look. It will automatically create a fade effect into your lid.
  • Last use the the brush you used to smudge out the top line and use some left over through the lower lashes close to the rim but keep it around the outer corner.
  • Apply Mascara done.

Totally agree on the bronzer and eyelashes. I tried once to add fake ones but it made me look like a clown and I took them off immediately. I would also be super stressed while wearing them and afraid they would fall of..

You make it sound so easy! I will definitely give it a try. Thing is though, I've done the whole reddish lips with liner thing so much that if I go light on the lips I feel like I don't look that good. :D I have recently bought a few pinkish and orangey nude lipsticks so I will definitely give it a try and report back.

You make it sound so easy! I will definitely give it a try. Thing is though, I've done the whole reddish lips with liner thing so much that if I go light on the lips I feel like I don't look that good. :D I have recently bought a few pinkish and orangey nude lipsticks so I will definitely give it a try and report back.

pics pls:3

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
pics pls:3

Will do! :p

Forgot to ask, how do you make liners last on your waterline, Tash? Mine never stay put longer than maybe half an hour. Its probably the cheapo liners I used to use back then, gave up trying to find a good long lasting liner. I use gel liners now on the lid and they stay on for ages but I don't think they would work on waterline.

Forgot to ask, how do you make liners last on your waterline, Tash? Mine never stay put longer than maybe half an hour. Its probably the cheapo liners I used to use back then, gave up trying to find a good long lasting liner. I use gel liners now on the lid and they stay on for ages but I don't think they would work on waterline.

yeah I usually go with waterproof liners, but even those don't always last.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
yeah I usually go with waterproof liners, but even those don't always last.

I went through a barely there smudgy upper lashline liner phase for a while and bought a dark brown waterproof liner by Daniel Sandler, tried that on my waterline a few times but didn't notice any difference. Its funny because I have the most driest eyes known to mankind. I thought that would make the liner last but nope.

A.E Suggs

I just carried a 27.5" H, 24.5" W, 11.5" D dresser by myself about 5 blocks. Thank god for weight lifting.

Ah snaps she been lifting dat iron, in 2 years time you might be able to pin down 3 of timedogs fingers :p.

Um I haven't been here in a long time but even when I have I haven't seen anti monitor around. Is she banned or something?

Damn, if I knew how to read those dimensions I would be impressed. Seriously though, Good work. I hope your back is okay!

Um I haven't been here in a long time but even when I have I haven't seen anti monitor around. Is she banned or something?

Yeah she was perma'd a while ago I think.

Tash

The ones from Mac or a bit more expensive waterproof ones stay a bit longer but I normally have one in my bag and just apply it again if needed. :)

Yeah she was perma'd a while ago I think.

What'd she do?

Samara

I think it was cloudchan who suggested using Burts Bee tinted lipbalm. I got the Red Dhalia and Rosebud. They are lovely. I guess Baby Lips are the same????

I then moved on to Clinique's Shy, anyone can wear it. Seriously its a sheer pink.
Everyone also like Ruby Woo or Stoplight Red from WnW
Bobbi Brown Raisin Berry is so gooood.

Boldest Ive done is Cherry Picking which is a nice pinkish red.

I stay away from light lippies, I dont like the Nicky Minage look

Tash

We got a sick kitten :(
He had all of a sudden high fever when we came home. Luckily we had a vet appointment that same day for kitten vaccination and the doc took some blood.

Seems he caught an acute infection (no clue where from) and got some antibiotics from the doc and needs to take pills for another week to make sure we get completely rid of the bacterias.

Such a little trooper :)

Here is a pic of him all wrapped in soft warm blankets and his favourite shawl while he was purring himself to sleep.

1175314_10151557166976793_1280524489_n.jpg

Made a killing at the bins. Tanks, sweaters, several of each, 2 dresses all less than 10 bucks together. Also got 2 dresses that fit me from a yard sale the other day for a buck each =D.

We got a sick kitten :(
He had all of a sudden high fever when we came home. Luckily we had a vet appointment that same day for kitten vaccination and the doc took some blood.

Seems he caught an acute infection (no clue where from) and got some antibiotics from the doc and needs to take pills for another week to make sure we get completely rid of the bacterias.

Such a little trooper :)

Here is a pic of him all wrapped in soft warm blankets and his favourite shawl while he was purring himself to sleep.

1175314_10151557166976793_1280524489_n.jpg

Awwwwwww, it's kitten season.

I dunno about all encompassing guides but what are you trying to use? Jaw clips? Snap clips? Pins? Barrettes? French combs?
I'm trying to figure out how to secure my hair better. When I go out in public I have my hair in a ponytail, and invariably the shorter hairs get loose. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I did not wear glasses. (I am very obsessive about keeping my glasses clean.) I would wear a headband, but I'm sort of trying to not appear too feminine in public. I want to assess my options. Also it wouldn't hurt to know how to put my hair up in a bun or other updo for exercise and what not.

I'm trying to figure out how to secure my hair better. When I go out in public I have my hair in a ponytail, and invariably the shorter hairs get loose. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I did not wear glasses. (I am very obsessive about keeping my glasses clean.) I would wear a headband, but I'm sort of trying to not appear too feminine in public. I want to assess my options. Also it wouldn't hurt to know how to put my hair up in a bun or other updo for exercise and what not.

Bobby pins are where it's at. They annoy/confuse the heck out of me but they do keep those shorter strands in place and they are kind of a light brown colour that blends into most people's hair.

I'm awful at buns despite having needed to do them for work. I think you can make like a ponytail and then turn it inside out and wrap another hairtie around the top. or just wrap the ponytail around the stem. I'm sure there are nicer looking ones though.

Not looking too feminine pretty much limits your options. Bobby pins or snap pins would be your best bet, either that or gel.

derdriu

hope you ladies don't mind, but its Monday and i need to vent! I work in an office that is mainly male apart from myself and another wonderfully talented girl. A few months back a female assistant was hired for my boss. And sometimes, I want to slap her. She believes and I quote "as a female you should use your sexuality to get ahead, its so much easier to get what you want" *smiley face*
what!.........what?!
I cant stand that way for thinking. Its the same as saying that years of education and skill mean nothing, just use your tits. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Because my boss is constantly out of the country for business trips and such, she spends most of her time flirting with the rest of the office instead of doing work.
just a bit of info, all of us have a background in programming, she does not . She did a year or 2 of business studies I believe . Most of us in the office are either married or living with someone.
On friday she teased one of the guys, who got married recently, saying he is whipped now and no better than a sock (??? I don't get the sock thing) because he is not going to the pub, but instead going to dinner with his wife, and spent the rest of the afternoon laughing at him and his "ball and chain"
Also, any of the guys that has a shaved head she will visit their office, separately, and start rubbing their heads (wtf)
All apart from 3 of the guys have fallen for her act, it was good to know i wasn't going insane thinking I was part of the "girls hate and are intimidated by other girls in their territory" when one of the guys I work with commented on how fake she was and advised me that I should be careful around her.

Unfortunately the girl I started in the office with (who couldn't stand lady fake also) had to move cities and left work recently so I'm the only other female in the office now :( I know I sound like a child, but she was in the next office doing a crazy loud fake laugh, and i had to vent. Its like watching a bad sitcom.

Does anyone else have the same issue, or has gone through it?
I never had this in the work place before, and although I should avoid her, its extremely difficult, the office is small and we have frequent get togethers that we all attend, also I work very closely to one of the married guys she flirts most with (and he loves the attention btw), so she always seems to be in our office.
I so need a drink right now........dammit here she comes :/

Tash

hope you ladies don't mind, but its Monday and i need to vent! I work in an office that is mainly male apart from myself and another wonderfully talented girl. A few months back a female assistant was hired for my boss. And sometimes, I want to slap her. She believes and I quote "as a female you should use your sexuality to get ahead, its so much easier to get what you want" *smiley face*
what!.........what?!
I cant stand that way for thinking. Its the same as saying that years of education and skill mean nothing, just use your tits. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Because my boss is constantly out of the country for business trips and such, she spends most of her time flirting with the rest of the office instead of doing work.
just a bit of info, all of us have a background in programming, she does not . She did a year or 2 of business studies I believe . Most of us in the office are either married or living with someone.
On friday she teased one of the guys, who got married recently, saying he is whipped now and no better than a sock (??? I don't get the sock thing) because he is not going to the pub, but instead going to dinner with his wife, and spent the rest of the afternoon laughing at him and his "ball and chain"
Also, any of the guys that has a shaved head she will visit their office, separately, and start rubbing their heads (wtf)
All apart from 3 of the guys have fallen for her act, it was good to know i wasn't going insane thinking I was part of the "girls hate and are intimidated by other girls in their territory" when one of the guys I work with commented on how fake she was and advised me that I should be careful around her.

Unfortunately the girl I started in the office with (who couldn't stand lady fake also) had to move cities and left work recently so I'm the only other female in the office now :( I know I sound like a child, but she was in the next office doing a crazy loud fake laugh, and i had to vent. Its like watching a bad sitcom.

Does anyone else have the same issue, or has gone through it?
I never had this in the work place before, and although I should avoid her, its extremely difficult, the office is small and we have frequent get togethers that we all attend, also I work very closely to one of the married guys she flirts most with (and he loves the attention btw), so she always seems to be in our office.
I so need a drink right now........dammit here she comes :/

Ugh, that is the reason I really prefer working on men teams..girls like her cause drama and crap..you can't even say anything because that would just cause more drama and it makes you look like the bad guy. HATE HATE HATE THAT CRAP.

All I can say is that sucks :/

Tash

As the others said: bobby pins or snap pins. Or you could buy some foam, normally used to give lift before drying your hair and use it to comb back for your ponytail. I do that when I want a sleek look and not tons of small hairs sticking out everywhere. (I lost quite a bit of hair due to health issues and they are growing back now, so it's kinda an issue for me :p).

On other news when I was looking to find a video about what I was trying to explain.
This is kinda..funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HOqyk-K9I

Top Bottom