• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

isuzu

I don't even know what ghibli is :<
38Non7K.gif

go watch Totoro, girl!

suzu

You guys definitely need to watch some Studio Ghibli films if you haven't already. haha

Check out Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. They're my favorites!!

derdriu

I don't even know what ghibli is :<

I admitted this to a guy i reeeeeeeeeeaally liked. We worked together but lived in different cites at the time (college years) and he hyped about it and offered to loan me one of his favorite ghibli movies. I was so excited to watch it but was on my own in my apartment

It was Grave of the Fireflies.

I never cried so much, it was amazing but so depressing. And in-between tears i was thinking "why would he have me watch this on my own" lol

but do check out Princess Mononoke, its fantastic.
I haven't seen any films made by the studio after 2005 though.

Totoro, spirited away and Arrietty are probably my favourites, but I think my neighbours the yamadas is very underrated. It's such a nice floaty little story. Totoro was the first film I saw in Japanese, and is what first piqued my interest in the language I suppose, so it has a very special place in my heart :3

I admitted this to a guy i reeeeeeeeeeaally liked. We worked together but lived in different cites at the time (college years) and he hyped about it and offered to loan me one of his favorite ghibli movies. I was so excited to watch it but was on my own in my apartment

It was Grave of the Fireflies.

I never cried so much, it was amazing but so depressing. And in-between tears i was thinking "why would he have me watch this on my own" lol

but do check out Princess Mononoke, its fantastic.
I haven't seen any films made by the studio after 2005 though.

ahahahahahhahahah. Oh man, I feel so bad for you :( My boyfriend actually did the same thing, but (having liked other ghibli films) bought it for his family to watch at Christmas.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I don't think my dad has ever forgiven me for subjecting him to Grave of the Fireflies.. watched it for the first time on TV with him once back in like 2007? still haven't re-watched it since then... not to mention it was a pretty downer year for me which makes me associate a lot of bad memories with it in addition to it's depressing content. Although, I'd say upon further reflection and reading into the original memoir, I feel I largely misunderstood the film the first time I saw it, so I'm eager to watch it again someday.:p

Ghibli film rankings? (since I've seen mostly all of them): Only Yesterday > Whisper of the Heart > Spirited Away > Kiki's Delivery Service > My Neighbour Totoro > My Neighbour the Yamadas > Porco Rosso > Princess Mononoke > Castle in the Sky > Grave of the Fireflies > Arriety > Ponyo > Howls Moving Castle > Ocean Waves >The Cat Returns > Tales from Earthsea.

Can't wait to see The Wind Rises next month. :D

derdriu

I don't think my dad has ever forgiven me for subjecting him to Grave of the Fireflies.. watched it for the first time on TV with him once back in like 2007? still haven't re-watched it since then... not to mention it was a pretty downer year for me which makes me associate a lot of bad memories with it in addition to it's depressing content. Although, I'd say upon further reflection and reading into the original memoir, I feel I largely misunderstood the film the first time I saw it................

I never read the memoir. I'm curious now to see if I totally misunderstood the film also, but not sure I could get through the book

But Aiko do get them tissues ready.

I never read the memoir. I'm curious now to see if I totally misunderstood the film also, but not sure I could get through the book

Granted they're not anticipation tissues, I already rented it.

They're regular tissues that I know I'll need.

Maybe this time I'll watch it dubbed

I don't think my dad has ever forgiven me for subjecting him to Grave of the Fireflies.. watched it for the first time on TV with him once back in like 2007? still haven't re-watched it since then... not to mention it was a pretty downer year for me which makes me associate a lot of bad memories with it in addition to it's depressing content. Although, I'd say upon further reflection and reading into the original memoir, I feel I largely misunderstood the film the first time I saw it, so I'm eager to watch it again someday.:p

Ghibli film rankings? (since I've seen mostly all of them): Only Yesterday > Whisper of the Heart > Spirited Away > Kiki's Delivery Service > My Neighbour Totoro > My Neighbour the Yamadas > Porco Rosso > Princess Mononoke > Castle in the Sky > Grave of the Fireflies > Arriety > Ponyo > Howls Moving Castle > Ocean Waves >The Cat Returns > Tales from Earthsea.

Can't wait to see The Wind Rises next month. :D

awww, I really liked the cat returns.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Will put everything in spoiler tags but essentially:
The story isn't a simple anti-war film like I originally interpreted. In fact the evidence based on the novel (the film is based on which is semi-autobiographical) and what the director has said about it. Is the film is basically about pride vs reason and the consequences of how the protagonist chooses the former over the latter, for example it is heavily implied in the film that his sister would have survived if he just sucked up to his bitchy aunt instead of leaving, that and the author of the original novel felt responsible for his own sisters death during WW2 and wrote a semi-autobiographical novel as a apology to his dead sister.

There's actually a television series that portrays the events from the perspective of the aunt and here is what the director originally said about it: (taken from wikipedia)
However, director Takahata repeatedly denied that the film was an anti-war anime. In his own words, "[The film] is not at all an anti-war anime and contains absolutely no such message." Instead, Takahata had intended to convey an image of the brother and sister living a failed life due to isolation from society and invoke sympathy particularly in people in their teens and twenties, whom he felt needed to straighten up and respect their elders for the pain and suffering they had experienced during arguably the darkest point in Japan's history.[9][10]

Also it's not a memoir got that small detail wrong.;p

awww, I really liked the cat returns.
There's a correlation between the amount of times my family has watched a ghibli film having a role in increasing my dislike for it. Howls Moving Castle and Cats Returns were watched way too many times in this household.;p

Amalthea

Banned
I'd love to too but I would probably waste all the money on other things. Especially kitschy plastic things that are allow over Asia.

Difficult choice, though. Who would pick what? Jupiter is obviously the best of the bunch, but the color scheme for Mercury and Moon are more pleasing to the eye.

I'd go for moon I think. I actually really dig jupiter's color scheme though :3 probably my second favorite

oh man I had forgotten all about this stupid expensive stuff and now I want it so bad again :(
to intensify the awesomeness (the details are amazing):
ku-xlargeuyf85.jpg

I'd go for moon I think. I actually really dig jupiter's color scheme though :3 probably my second favorite

oh man I had forgotten all about this stupid expensive stuff and now I want it so bad again :(
to intensify the awesomeness (the details are amazing):
ku-xlargeuyf85.jpg

Wow. The quality does look pretty good. I dare you to get one and then go out to fight some crime.

Jupiter is the best.

Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best. Jupiter is the best.

Heh.

I was always a fan of sailor moon and venus, but I dont think Venus's colours would work very well for me.

Showed boyfriend the picture of the lingerie and he went "ugh". Don't even care, they are so cute.

Sadsic

hey i have a question females:

if you found out a dude was a massage therapist would that be weird? like would you assume his intentions are one way or the other?

if you found out a dude was a massage therapist would that be weird? like would you assume his intentions are one way or the other?

It depends on how the situation is presented. If they say "yeah, I'm a massage therapist" on a date or something and it's introduced casually, I'm not going to thing there are ulterior motives or anything. But if you're flirting with me and say "Oh, I give VERY good massages because it's my job", I'm going to assume that there are more factors at work.

I don't think guys being in that profession is weird though.

Sadsic

It depends on how the situation is presented. If they say "yeah, I'm a massage therapist" on a date or something and it's introduced casually, I'm not going to thing there are ulterior motives or anything. But if you're flirting with me and say "Oh, I give VERY good massages because it's my job", I'm going to assume that there are more factors at work.

I don't think guys being in that profession is weird though.

ok cuz ive been in school for massage therapy for the past year and i swear everyone assumes im like milking all my clients for juices or some shit at the end of each session or something just checking lol

ok cuz ive been in school for massage therapy for the past year and i swear everyone assumes im like milking all my clients for juices or some shit at the end of each session or something just checking lol

Yeah, I think unfortunately people are going to assume that. Just be super professional and you'll be okay.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

I think it's kind of funny when the dude looks like a total bad-ass or something and is a massage therapist. Case in point: my old karate teacher.

Pau

where did you get that :O
Hot-Topic, but they don't seem to sell it anymore. It's just a simple cami and underwear, but it looks nice and very comfortable to sleep in. I love it! :3 Here's a link!

I now need to find a boyfriend who would enjoy Sailor Moon lingerie. There will be no compromise. I will have it.
Haha, my boyfriend doesn't enjoy the Wonder Women underwear set or anything that's costumey. :C Well, he'll say I look nice in it but dressing up as a character doesn't do anything for him.

Top Bottom