• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Platy

If the person has only read sunday comic strips but the person REALLY LOVES THE SUNDAY COMIC STRIP WITH ALL THE HEART than the person IS a comic reader.

Saying that cheap games that you don't need to buy an actual console for are not games is REALLY evil for people living in ... (I don't know, lets just take a completly RANDOM country)... BRAZIL, where videogames have ridiculously abusive prices.

If the person don't like games enoght to pay 2000 dollars in a playstation4, this don't make the person a "not count as gamer".

Also, If I say that I am an opera lover and I never saw a full opera, I will KILL YOU if you say that I am not an opera lover because I THINK that I know more about MYSELF than you >=|

every time i see devo's avatar, i think the cat is part of her face

i may need to start wearing my glasses again

I saw as the live action cat beard

Edit: aside from bat woman, which I loved until DC fucked up again, are their any other good female protagonist series out in the 52s? batgirl or wonder woman?

Birds of Prey? I'd never read the series before the reboot, so I don't know how it compares to before, but it generally seems pretty good from what I've seen in the first two collections. One or two characters who dress a little questionably in terms of skimpiness, but I don't think there's anything too cringeworthy.

Aiustis

Birds of Prey? I'd never read the series before the reboot, so I don't know how it compares to before, but it generally seems pretty good from what I've seen in the first two collections. One or two characters who dress a little questionably in terms of skimpiness, but I don't think there's anything too cringeworthy.

It was def better when Gail Simone was on it before the reboot; I stopped reading after they switched writers. I started reading again after the Reboot. It's pretty good.

Batgirl is excellent since Gail Simone does the writing. She got fired from it for a short bit but was quickly reinstated.

Pau

Been playing Batman: Arkham City and this game is disgusting. :\ The outfits and designs of the key women and what NPCs say about them. Blegh.
Yup. I was so fucking excited to play as Catwoman since she's one of my favorite characters ever and it was just gross. :/

Ok, then define the differences please. Your statement is currently too vague to understand.
Oh my god I just noticed but is your username after the Discworld character?! :D

Ok, then define the differences please. Your statement is currently too vague to understand.

Thank you for asking this, I'd never actually tried to define the difference and I'm finding it a bit difficult. I'm convinced there is a difference between them, both because I can sense a difference when I play them and because the audiences are so different… I know so many people who play games on their iPhones and on Facebook but don't find console-style games appealing at all.

Most of the popular mobile and social games are time wasters moreso than experiences you would seek out or look forward to. They're things to fool around with; toys.

I should mention, there are plenty of console-style games on mobile phones (Infinity Blade), and there are several console games that I'd consider to be mobile-type experiences (Animal Crossing, which I absolutely love, is a good example).

I'm still being a bit vague, can you understand where I'm coming from? Maybe I'll be able to articulate my thoughts better in the morning.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
About the use of the word gamer. It actually does have a valid context and it does have a equivalent term for films and books it is usually called film and book bluff respectively, and it's usually applied to someone who reads books and watches films on a daily basis, keeps up with new releases and is always open for new recommendations in both mediums similar to how most of us here use GAF. However I can see the objection to it as gaming has become so mainstream that I presume everyone I met plays video games in their spare time in a similar matter that they read books or watch films occasionally. They may not do it every day, or every week like a true gamer but they still consume video games, and they're aren't exclusively playing facebook or mobile games either.

There's also the fact that people tend to use gamer to self-describe themselves more than film buffs tend to, which creates this elitist sub-culture that involves questioning or measuring whether you are a "true" gamer or not, and creates multiple categories to describe the different levels such as "core gamer" "casual gamer" and 'hardcore gamer" which is pretty silly. :p and people shouldn't be judged for being a casual gamer or even for being a hardcore gamer, and the question of gender does tend to get tied into those kind of discussions with males getting stereotyped by some females (who don't play games) who are hardcore gamers and females getting judged by males for being casual gamers who just play the sims and farmville etc.. and let's not forget woman who are self-professed hardcore gamers tend to get put on a pedestal by other gamer guys as well.. or express skepticism that she is a hardcore gamer because of her gender.

TLDR: Classifications can be silly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I laughed.

a3HhNba.jpg

Samara

Whats a true gamer/hardcore gamer? Like what genre do i need to be to fit in? I love mass effect, tomb raider and dragon age. Those games you guys mentionned on the last page...i have no idea what they are and i have very little interest in shooters like COD and I've come to find gta or most popular games very boring.

Now if you asked me to a dance off on dance central on the hardest song...i could kick your ass. Lol. its still a game and takes skills to play it. Now dont ask me to play on Pc, i just cant. I dont even know how.

oni_saru

I just got into IOS/Android games and have been playing them a lot recently. I guess I lose my "gamer" card :(

In all seriousness, I don't think it's right to discredit people that do play those games. If you want to go into specifics of "types" of gamers, then use "casual" "average" "hardcore" *insert whatever*titles in front of the word "gamer". If a person wants to define themselves as a "gamer", let them. Why complicate things just to fit into some agenda of dicrediting some people?

In the end everyone is playing something that is generally a time waster/entertainment piece whether it feels more rewarding with something that has an ultimate goal (save the world) or it's a temporary reward (just beat my candy crush score). My two cents.

I just got into IOS/Android games and have been playing them a lot recently. I guess I lose my "gamer" card :(

In all seriousness, I don't think it's right to discredit people that do play those games. If you want to go into specifics of "types" of gamers, then use "casual" "average" "hardcore" *insert whatever*titles in front of the word "gamer". If a person wants to define themselves as a "gamer", let them. Why complicate things just to fit into some agenda of dicrediting some people?

In the end everyone is playing something that is generally a time waster/entertainment piece whether it feels more rewarding with something that has an ultimate goal (save the world) or it's a temporary reward (just beat my candy crush score). My two cents.

You answered your own question in the bolded. Makes people feel special/more of a "gamer" or some dumb shit I guess.

I mean, in my opinion, I don't think the term gamer even needs a gender association. I think that's always been the general consensus with every person I've met. The stereotyping behind gaming is pretty absurd.

I guess the terms casual and hardcore aren't bad depending on context.

Casual being someone who doesn't play often and hardcore being someone who does, regardless of genre of game being played.

I just think its bullshit when elitist personalities come to play over what console, genre, amount of hours, looks, gender, and whatever other nonsense. If you play any game, you're a gamer but the severity of your passion is what separates those of casual status and those of hardcore.

Buttttt that's just my opinion. >___o

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Does anyone else find it a bit weird the way the devs are talking about the upgraded Tomb Raider? It's all about 'making Lara more realistic' and getting her skin and hair right. It's a bit weird. Or am I weird?

someday

Banned
Does anyone else find it a bit weird the way the devs are talking about the upgraded Tomb Raider? It's all about 'making Lara more realistic' and getting her skin and hair right. It's a bit weird. Or am I weird?

The focus on TressFX (or whatever it's called) is pretty crazy. I guess I'm impressed that graphics and physics are getting to a point where every detail is realistic, but I am a little put off by the female lead being reduced to hair and skin upgrades. I didn't buy it before though so I will probably buy it for PS4 when it comes out.

As far as the gamer discussion, I probably don't view phone/fb games the same as other games, but I still love the idea that anyone is playing them. If someone wants to say they're a "gamer" then they are a gamer to me (just like if you read nothing but young adult novels but you read them a lot, you're a reader).

My best friends' bought their 13 yr-old son a $3000 Alienware laptop cause he was a gamer. All he plays is World of Tanks. I mean ALL HE PLAYS is World of Tanks. He's spent hundreds (maybe more) on tanks and shit for that thing. I think it's ridiculous that they bought a laptop that has the capability to play Crysis 3 on ultimate settings and all he plays is a f2p. But, no one would say he isn't a gamer, mostly because he's a boy. It doesn't matter what game(s) he plays, he's a gamer and no one questions his "gamer cred."

Mistel

Banned
What does girlgaf think of boots like these?
s_109511.jpg

There my size UK 11, I like them but mainly because I can't find any walking boot's that fit my feet that aren't men's ones.

Mistel

Banned
Is that for walking on city streets or for hiking? Doesn't look sturdy enough for hiking/construction sites.
City, I wouldn't wear those wear those near hiking or construction.As for the support and sturdiness for the one's I've post I've got no idea :/. For hiking I've got my actual boot's that I usually walk around in.

Mistel

Banned
They look acceptable for that. But they could end up rubbing on the back of the heel, especially since they're mid calf.

Style wise they look alomost cowgirl boot-ish, but not. I find them confusing. What's a uk 11 compared to usa sizes?
A UK 11 is a US 11.5 and a European 46.5. Rubbing isn't something I though of, their mainly for like going out places where hiking / work boots aren't that suitable.

What does girlgaf think of boots like these?
s_109511.jpg

There my size UK 11, I like them but mainly because I can't find any walking boot's that fit my feet that aren't men's ones.

I have steve madden troopa boots in black, though I plan on also getting them in denim and brown. Very comfortable and are great to work in. Love them. Rocketdog has a similar one with heels as well.

iirate

God, while we're on the subject of shoes, why do I have to have the worst feet ever? I can only describe them as "big boned", even if I'm not sure that's the exact issue. First, I'm 5'7", and for the most part, I normally wear a 9, maybe the occasional 8.5 depending on style and brand.

From my anecdotal experience, that's a tiny bit smaller than average for my height. Fine. However, most shoes I wear, even after breaking them in, destroy my toes and other "bony" parts of the foot. If I try half a size up or down, the shoe doesn't fit at all anymore. I mostly stick to Saucony sneakers for everyday wear because once broken in, they are really comfy. I found them searching for a cheap, vegan worth shoe, but the brand has taken over every style of sneaker and athletic shoe I've owned since.

Everything else I own? I had better not wear them if I'm going to be on my feet for a couple of hours or more, or else my feet will be bleeding and blistered.

Sorry for the mini rant - has anyone else had to deal with this?

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, that's a size up from me then. These look like the fashion equivalent of manly. I think it will be obvious they're from the mens dept, which is where i got all my work shoes.
I'm not going to buy expensive shoes till I stop growing, as my shoe size jumps every so often. Work boots and other boots I'll probably get from men's as well like I usually do.

Sorry for the mini rant - has anyone else had to deal with this?
Not exactly but my feet are pretty much wide and boney not to mention big, I can't walk around in plimsoles or heels far too uncomfortable.

Kimaka

I just have to say... I just started watching Sherlock Holmes.

I get it now. I really do.

I thought I would after watching Sherlock. I still don't. He can be cute at certain angles but he stops being attractive once he stops talking. His voice is godly and does things to me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Was doing dishes this morning and my mom asks me if I can smell the mayonnaise. I'm like "wut" and she proceeds to tell me she has it in her hair.

I don't even

Was doing dishes this morning and my mom asks me if I can smell the mayonnaise. I'm like "wut" and she proceeds to tell me she has it in her hair.

I don't even

Something about the moisturizing properties of egg.

Still, I'm more inclined to a) reduce shampoo use and b) invest in a good leave-in that's meant to be worn, not eaten.

Mistel

Banned
It's the vinegar and eggs that's beneficial. Typical shampoo and conditioner is more about keeping your hair in a state that leaves it dependent on those.
Well I never knew that vinegar and egg's are beneficial for hair, I'll try that some time in the future then.

soepje

I knew a guy who would put lemon juice in his hair, followed by sitting outside in the sun for hours just to make his hair go blonder.

isuzu

I wash my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. No more dandruffs and my hair game in general is pretty awesome.

Pau

I knew a guy who would put lemon juice in his hair, followed by sitting outside in the sun for hours just to make his hair go blonder.
My aunt tried this with but with her eyes when she was little because she was the only sister with dark eyes.

Top Bottom