• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

What's wrong with yellow? I was thinking something like this:

02_romania_kerwin.gif

Classic yet stylish.

Bugger that. We need the anti-star!

Pentagram.png

suzu

I avoid or only lurk Gaming's gender/race threads now. It annoys me when people don't bother to read and just come into the thread to dismiss everything. The OT threads get that too.

I agree with all of this~

I suppose if there's anything major, someone can PM a mod.

Hi Opiate! :D Nice of you to drop by and offer us some channel to air any issues <3 Much appreciated~

As for Neil Gaiman,

I agree with Morrigan and Pau, Im not a big fan. I enjoyed Neverwhere and Good Omens and StarDust (the movie).. but American Gods was meh. I havent read Sandman yet. It's in my plan...

aaah so many things to read >__<

Still trying to slog through King Rat atm.

As for GirlGAF, it's one of my favourite favourite places on the net. It's safe, full with awesome ladies and fills me with love and warmth and goodness

.... I cant say the same for the general gaf forums, as Dragonz have pointed out, our voices are conveniently drowned out when it doesnt suit what they want to hear. And it can be very demoralizing at times, but then I always have my GirlGAF to fall back on <3

and omg Opi, your humour XD and that star! and adding Frau XD

I think this is a consequence of what I've long noticed; women are a tiny minority. It's simply hard to be heard when you represent, oh, 5-10% of the population, unless the powers-that-be make a conscious, deliberate attempt to help that 5-10% out. Please note that this isn't supposed to be a knock on my own sex (or on yours), but that this seems to be the natural consequence of any discussion when a point of view is a tiny minority. People operate as if that point of view doesn't really exist.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I agree. I also understand that it's really improbable that things will change here because of it. It just really steams my vegetables when these perspectives go unread because the guys here simply don't care or are too busy arguing about women's issues with other guys to notice. And when they do notice, they respond with some #notallmen post and it honestly has stopped me from even going in those threads these days. And it's a shame, because I think a lot of informative and rational discussion could happen if things were different.

But regardless, I really appreciate that you came in here and asked for our insight. Thanks for everything. :)

I've been closing a large number of those "looking good" threads, by the way. They may become outright banned.

Just to explain why they aren't already banned: sometimes, they start out with what is a reasonably acceptable discussion of a person's actual condition. Over the course of several pages, however, that discussion often breaks down and just becomes hot pics of that person (either now or before a supposed breakdown) without any valuable posts with real content.

The most recent threads, though, do away with almost all general discussion and just get straight to hot pics followed immediately by GIFs of men wiping their mouths or licking their lips or whatever. Getting close to "yeah, no more of this" territory.

Oh god, thank you. That Selena Gomez one today was just...yikes.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh boy, the gender-related threads on gaming side... I post in them a lot, but it's hard to maintain patience. So much of the same old crap having to refute all the time. It gets tedious. I feel I'm going to lose the patience for those threads very soon.

But yeah, GAF overall is very welcoming to females I think, mods do a good job of taking out of the assholes. It's a pretty good community for that.

I wonder though: I noticed a while ago that Anita Sarkeesian had an account for a very short while, but it's banned. Anyone knows why? Was it a fake one? It seemed legit enough, but of course I have no idea.

(Sorry if it's not appropriate to ask why someone is banned, I'm not too sure of the etiquette on this matter.)

Bugger that. We need the anti-star!

Pentagram.png
Hell yeah. \m/ I'd be okay with that as my avatar. :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wonder though: I noticed a while ago that Anita Sarkeesian had an account for a very short while, but it's banned. Anyone knows why? Was it a fake one? It seemed legit enough, but of course I have no idea.

I think that might have been the guy who was impersonating famous female gamers. They did Aisha Tyler (followed by the actual one showing up later.) and Jessica Nigiri too IIRC.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think that might have been the guy who was impersonating famous female gamers. They did Aisha Tyler (followed by the actual one showing up later.) and Jessica Nigiri too IIRC.
Yes, not the real Anita.
I see. Geez, that's so lame. Why the hell would anyone do that? :S It's not even like he was trying to "defame" her by posting stuff that would make her look bad or anything, the posting history was fairly innocuous and all. Man, some people have such sad, pathetic lives.

Kinsei

Banned
Hiya GirlGaf! I usually stick to the LGBThread, but I figured I'd start posting here as well. I'm a soon to be 21 year old Canadian girl who is really bad at introductions and is really struggling for things to say right now.

I see. Geez, that's so lame. Why the hell would anyone do that? :S It's not even like he was trying to "defame" her by posting stuff that would make her look bad or anything, the posting history was fairly innocuous and all. Man, some people have such sad, pathetic lives.

He probably liked attention and thought the name would give it to him.

Sevarus

Drinking alone while listening to Lana Del Rey is a terrible combination. Don't do it unless you want to have a bad time and stare at your ceiling, filled with melancholy.

Kisaya

Drinking alone while listening to Lana Del Rey is a terrible combination. Don't do it unless you want to have a bad time and stare at your ceiling, filled with melancholy.

Uggghhhh but I love to drink and cry listening to LDR :(((

I will never forget my first listen of Born to Die.

iirate

Maybe I haven't tried hard enough, but I can't do the drinking alone thing. I enjoy drinking with friends, but it feels weird otherwise.

Hiya GirlGaf! I usually stick to the LGBThread, but I figured I'd start posting here as well. I'm a soon to be 21 year old Canadian girl who is really bad at introductions and is really struggling for things to say right now.

Hi hi :>

as for LDR. I love her music..... drunk or not drunk \o/

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi Opiate! :D Nice of you to drop by and offer us some channel to air any issues <3 Much appreciated~

As for Neil Gaiman,

I agree with Morrigan and Pau, Im not a big fan. I enjoyed Neverwhere and Good Omens and StarDust (the movie).. but American Gods was meh. I havent read Sandman yet. It's in my plan...

aaah so many things to read >__<

Still trying to slog through King Rat atm.

As for GirlGAF, it's one of my favourite favourite places on the net. It's safe, full with awesome ladies and fills me with love and warmth and goodness

.... I cant say the same for the general gaf forums, as Dragonz have pointed out, our voices are conveniently drowned out when it doesnt suit what they want to hear. And it can be very demoralizing at times, but then I always have my GirlGAF to fall back on <3

and omg Opi, your humour XD and that star! and adding Frau XD

D'aww. Wuv you too!

Hallo!

Hi girlgaf, how have things been? I haven't been visiting as much since my (then) girlfriend Clevergirl stopped posting.

Any thing moderators can do to make the forum more accommodating for women generally? Please note that we may not do the things you suggest -- this isn't a guarantee of changes, just a quest for some ideas. I'd just like to see ideas, whether they be very specific or extremely broad.

If you're genuinely asking posts in which people refer to me before I even check out the thread are pretty damn creepy/annoying/unnecessary.

We may make avatars like yours bannable -- we need all women to be clearly identified. We may distribute badges for all of you to wear on your forearms. Perhaps stars? Stars are appropriately feminine.

;-)

Thankfully the good far outweighs the bad and there's plenty of interesting/strange discussion to be had. It's just a shame when things go off the rails and yes, invoking the name of Devo when she's not around is weird.

You're a bunch of very cool ladies.

Sevarus

Uggghhhh but I love to drink and cry listening to LDR :(((

I will never forget my first listen of Born to Die.

It started off all right (I had never actually given Del Rey a fair listen before), but then it quickly went downhill from there. Definitely an intense experience.

Opiate

If you're genuinely asking posts in which people refer to me before I even check out the thread are pretty damn creepy/annoying/unnecessary.

I am honestly asking. You may notice that a large number of people who call you out in that fashion suddenly have grey names.

That's not particular to you, mind you. At least a couple of other posters are "notorious" in such a fashion that people preemptively pick on them before they even arrive. But you get it worse than almost anyone else, that's for sure.

I am honestly asking. You may notice that a large number of people who call you out in that fashion suddenly have grey names.

That's not particular to you, mind you. At least a couple of other posters are "notorious" in such a fashion that people preemptively pick on them before they even arrive. But you get it worse than almost anyone else, that's for sure.

K.

Other than that not much to say, anything misogynistic or gross is pretty much up to the discretion of the mod who finds it what they're going to do about it. The other thing is lumping us all together as some hypersensitive defensive force isn't cool but there was a situation that was dealt with fine on that front.

Opiate

Update for everyone: there seems to be no argument from any moderators about banning the "[random celebrity] sure is looking good these days!" threads. We'll likely be prohibiting those expressly in the near future.

Update for everyone: there seems to be no argument from any moderators about banning the "[random celebrity] sure is looking good these days!" threads. We'll likely be prohibiting those expressly in the near future.

*thumbs up*

More room in OT for interesting stuff!

Kimaka

This is great news! I mostly lurk but I want to say that while Neogaf can get a bit too much for me some days I appreciate you and other mods that try to make it better for minority groups. It's rare for gaming forums.

someday

Banned
This is great news! I mostly lurk but I want to say that while Neogaf can get a bit too much for me some days I appreciate you and other mods that try to make it better for minority groups. It's rare for gaming forums.
I'd like to cosign this statement. This is one gaming forum where I feel completely comfortable posting as a woman (and gay and black too). I have never felt like I needed to hide that here and that's due to you mods. So thank you!

Thanks Opiate :>

GirlGAF, im having such a meh morning here, with those responses of body policing at the shaving thread. So I thought to myself, time to ogle at beautiful men!

Who are your hawt celebs, pls tell~ Right now, I'm tumblring Chris Hemsworth, but all suggestions are welcomed :>

Kinsei

Banned

GirlGAF, im having such a meh morning here, with those responses of body policing at the shaving thread. So I thought to myself, time to ogle at beautiful men!

Who are your hawt celebs, pls tell~ Right now, I'm tumblring Chris Hemsworth, but all suggestions are welcomed :>

I've always been fond of D.B. Woodside.

Wazzy

Banned
Cheers Opiate.

Just want to say, you ladies are awesome. Just feeling loving of GirlGAF today. <3
Hey Vancouver buddy! How yah been?

Yeah that thread(though the OP is fine) is really sad with some of the responses. No one is forcing anyone to prefer hair on bodies, just accept it exists and not call it gross.

But to answer your question, my favourite hot celebs would be:

1. Chris Evans
2. Vin Diesel
3. Joe Mangeniello
4. Bradley Cooper
5. Chris Hemsworth
6. Paul Walker *crys*
7. Anthony Mackie
8. Channing Tatum
9. Ryan Reynolds

Too many white guys on my list but Vinny and Anthony are super hot and I prefer them over most of the list anyway.

Yeah that thread(though the OP is fine) is really sad with some of the responses. No one is forcing anyone to prefer hair on bodies, just accept it exists and not call it gross.

1. Chris Evans
2. Vin Diesel
3. Joe Mangeniello
4. Bradley Cooper
5. Chris Hemsworth
6. Paul Walker *crys*
7. Anthony Mackie
8. Channing Tatum
9. Ryan Reynolds

Too many white guys on my list but Vinny and Anthony are super hot and I prefer them over most of the list anyway.

omg wazzi, this is going to fill my WHOLE sunday XD thank you <3333333

paul walker ;__;

kinsei, ooooh, i'm not familiar with d.b. woodside.... let me tumblr him up :3

goddamn, d.b. woodside is adorable :>

joe manganiello..... omg *___* so beautiful *___* (oddly, i always remember him as Flash from Spidey 1.... hahaha... such transformation *___*)

Looked up pics of young Joe, not into it. The dudes I listed are prime examples of some dudes just not doing anything for me till their 30s.

Looked up pics of young Joe, not into it. The dudes I listed are prime examples of some dudes just not doing anything for me till their 30s.

yessssssssss i understand this so well

some even only becomes appealing after 40 or so. something in them kicks in and then they reach final form or something... haha

Wazzy

Banned
Vin
Joe Manganiello
Jason Momoa

yeah i got a type...
Gurl all three are hot, two of them also being on my list.

I wish Jason Momoa hadn't made that rape comment because it really turned me off him. :(
omg wazzi, this is going to fill my WHOLE sunday XD thank you <3333333

paul walker ;__;

kinsei, ooooh, i'm not familiar with d.b. woodside.... let me tumblr him up :3
I'm marathoning F&F series soon so I'm going to get a bunch of PW and Vin Diesel tomorrow. <3

You got anymore than just Chris Hemsworth?

iirate

Agreed. The mods here are fantastic.

Gurl all three are hot, two of them also being on my list.

I wish Jason Momoa hadn't made that rape comment because it really turned me off him. :(

I'm marathoning F&F series soon so I'm going to get a bunch of PW and Vin Diesel tomorrow. <3

You got anymore than just Chris Hemsworth?

Ogling at Hugh Jackman's bod atm :3 His Wolvie form is delightful

And I stumbled upon some nice shots of Paul Newman and some dude named Alex Pettyfer. A bit on the prettier side of things, but is still quite eyecandy.

Jason Momoa is unfortunately douchey, but I like objectifying douchebags, so hellllooooooooooo

Edit:
tumblr_n8j1r4YQgY1qz86ovo1_500.jpg

^Pettyfer! He was in Magic Mike! No wonder he looks familiar! :>

Leeness

1. Chris Evans
2. Vin Diesel
3. Joe Mangeniello
4. Bradley Cooper
5. Chris Hemsworth
6. Paul Walker *crys*
7. Anthony Mackie
8. Channing Tatum
9. Ryan Reynolds

I'm okay! Had a crappy night last night but otherwise okay. How about you?

Hot celebs!

Yes yes yes at Chris Evans and Bradley Cooper. Ugh they are both so lovely.

Ummmm. Been rewatching Lost and I love Matt Fox on Lost <3

Also really like Jim Caviezel on PoI.

Peeps I find hot?

Troy Sanders from Sludge metal band "Mastodon"

EBwSTI6.png

PHWOAR!

And if we're talking older men "Henry Rollins".

yWYDPKV.jpg

After reading about his rough past, how he overcome his hard-ass father, and how he fought his way through life, I just became even more attracted to him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

GirlGAF, im having such a meh morning here, with those responses of body policing at the shaving thread.
What thread is that?

So I thought to myself, time to ogle at beautiful men!

I've got a type too, hah. I have a thing for men with long hair and (moderate) facial hair. I don't care for huge beards, but short, neatly trimmed beards and goatees and five o' clock shadows have the tendency to greatly improve just about any man's face, IMO, and so does long hair. ^_^

So, almost all my "hot guys" list (including my boyfriend xD) more or less fit this description, with a few exceptions (such as Hugh Laurie, on whom I used to have the biggest crush). ^^ Recently I've been drooling over:

- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister, Game of Thrones). Particularly his S2-S3 appearance. He's much blander when shaved and clean-cut, though still obviously handsome. But in S3.... goddamn.
- Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow (forgot the actor's name). Dude is ridiculously hot. Seriously. It's absurd how hot he is. Don't believe me? Have a look. And when you hear his voice and accent...
- Anson Mount (Hell on Wheels).
- Clive Standen (Vikings). I only watched the first episode so far and his character looks like a total asshole, but damn if he's not stupidly attractive (way more than the lead actor, lol). Apparently he was in Camelot, too.
- Hugh Laurie. I think it's the eyes. Or the jaw. Or the lack of shave. Or all of the above. But I could stare at those eyes for hours. ^^
- A rare exception to my "type", I have a thing for Kiefer Sutherland. And d'awwww that's adorable, him doing the horns. \m/

Now I'm afraid to ask...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Peeps I find hot?

Troy Sanders from Sludge metal band "Mastodon"

EBwSTI6.png

PHWOAR!
Cute! I have a thing for the Rotting Christ members. I remember seeing them live and finding it pretty cool that every single guy on stage was hot... this had never happened to me before, and I've seen a lot of concerts. xD I think the lineup changed since, but this pic is pretty nice:
314_photo.jpg

This is the lineup I saw:
rotting-christ-promoshot.jpg

Jesus, those guys... O_O What's in the water in Greece? :D

Top Bottom