• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Zoe

I kind of want to be young and grey. It's just the inbetween that sucks. And yep a few greyies here too.

I wouldn't mind as much if my hair were black, but it's just dark brown so all the white hair makes it look a weird light brown.

Kimaka

I kind of want to be young and grey. It's just the inbetween that sucks. And yep a few greyies here too.

Me too. White hair looks cool to me. I found my first grey hair at 18 but I doubt I will go full white. My grandmother found hers around the same age and still has that salt and pepper look going on in her 70s.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah - my mom was grey at 18, and I'm now 28 and thoroughly in-between.

Eek. Should've put 'young ' in quotes. I'm iny early thirties- closer to middle age than teenage!

@Zoe yup me too. Dark brown here so it just looks a bit scruffy. But the idea of having a white wavy mane kind of appeals :)

iirate

Eek. Should've put 'young ' in quotes. I'm iny early thirties- closer to middle age than teenage!

@Zoe yup me too. Dark brown here so it just looks a bit scruffy. But the idea of having a white wavy mane kind of appeals :)

Ah, gotcha! Yeah, my mom is definitely an outlier.

I considered putting this in OT, but couldn't figure out how to do so without it being really... insubstantial.

Then I considered reviving my old topic along the same lines and realized that it was from 2012.

So I decided, fuck it, I'll leave it here.

sluts.png

EDIT:

This one's for Aeana, because I think she was discussing this with someone the other day:

Koriandrr

Here's an example of my hair. If I keep it this short, it isn't the worst thing in the world. As soon as it starts getting long, though, it's just a huge mess. (At least I think so.)

I'd love nothing more than to just be able to take half of the curl out. That's my dream. *laughs* I just want to have longer hair without having to feel like I'm doing nothing but fighting it. I've looked into a few of the various straightening methods, which would help reduce the curl some, but the cost for my hair mixed with how quickly the curl would come back just don't make them worth considering for me. (At least, the ones I've asked about.)

You want curls, I want to get rid of them! *heh* Maybe, at some point, I'll just give up and live a life of short hair.

hair-example.jpg

Girl, you should love your hair. It's amazing! If I had a hair like that, I personally would let it grow and go all wild. Will probably be a pain lol

Go all-out Merida on it.

Looool.

Yeah, fucking double standards.

Somewhat related-- Jezebel isn't substantial news, but I thought these two reviews of "Love, Actually" and "The Notebook" were AWESOME (and spot on).

First time I watched The Notebook I said "what the fuck, what the fuck is wrong with these people" at least five times out loud.

http://jezebel.com/i-just-watched-the-notebook-and-am-here-to-ruin-it-for-1598415652

http://jezebel.com/i-rewatched-love-actually-and-am-here-to-ruin-it-for-al-1485136388

The first time I ever watched The Notebook I was around 13 years old and I loved it. :/ I haven't seen it in forever but yeah I'd probably have the same reaction as her if I'd watched it for the first time when I wasn't barely out of my tweens.

Looool.

Yeah, fucking double standards.

Somewhat related-- Jezebel isn't substantial news, but I thought these two reviews of "Love, Actually" and "The Notebook" were AWESOME (and spot on).

First time I watched The Notebook I said "what the fuck, what the fuck is wrong with these people" at least five times out loud.

http://jezebel.com/i-just-watched-the-notebook-and-am-here-to-ruin-it-for-1598415652

http://jezebel.com/i-rewatched-love-actually-and-am-here-to-ruin-it-for-al-1485136388

buuuuuuunnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiii

omg where have u been all my life ;___;

everyone that i've met in real always gush about the notebook and i am always left wondering if i had seen a different movie ;___; cuz to me, it was complete and utter rubbish

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

all these years, thinking i was the only one ;___;

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Trustory -

My fiancée and I got tickets to a preview screening of Love Actually - it was organised by Glamo(u)r magazine. We sat there in stony-faced, arms-folded silence while everyone around us found it hilarious.

I always felt it was one of the most smug films I've ever seen. It just oozes smugness.

Haha, yeah... everyone gushes about that, and "Love, Actually."

But it was so creepy to me, too. When he jumped on the Ferris Wheel or something? I was like..muttering, "no no no nooo omigod what a creeper what the helll" from behind my hands, embarrassed for everyone on screen. The whole movie, for me, was full of "HOLY SHIT RED FLAG RIGHT THERE AND THERE AND THERE WHAT THE HELL THIS IS SO UNHEALTHY."

Maybe, again, I just watched it when it was older? I imagine a lot of movies I saw as a kid seemed cute, but not when I was an adult (like Beauty and the Beast...recently re-watched it, and some of it was a little cringe-y.)

yeaaaaaaaaaah, the ferris wheel date-threat thing and the "Set ur spirit free with me by laying on the middle of the road" thing were really CRINGE

the whole movie feels like ham-fisted story about ~impossible love~

x____x

oh man. hahaha.... yeah disney stuffs gets a bit much too when viewed as adults, but i think the notebook is one of the worst offender everrrr

Mistel

Banned
I hate typos so much. I'd rather watch something like Vanishing Point or Das Boot than a romantic movie. Except for Ruby Sparks and Easy A.

GarnetDust

Thanks ladies for the welcome!

Yeah, as far as hair goes, I have a few white hairs. I have had grey hairs for the past 8 years. However, it doesn't always mean that you are aging, it can also be caused by stress.
If my hair turns white, so be it, that's just an open canvas for all kinds of fun colors! I would quite enjoy my hair as a pastel shade.

iirate

The only romance movies I like that come to mind are Eternal Sunshine(already mentioned) and Before Sunset/Sunrise. I still haven't seen Midnight.

Also, the ending to Rocky makes me cry every time, so I guess I'll count that.

Anastasia

Eternal Sunshine is amazing and one of my favorite movies.

I really like romance movies, but I tend to go for more interesting/off-beat stuff. My girlfriend and I have watched a lot of Korean movies, and out of those there have been some charming romance ones; I especially loved Always and Castaway on the Moon.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even remember the last romcom I was forced to watch... The one that immediately pops into my head is that Mama Mia adaption, but that was like years ago.

Also, speaking of Disney, you know the one that I couldn't buy even when I was a kid? The Little Mermaid. She was such an ass to her poor father. :(

Kimaka

I like romantic movies but more of the period or drama types. Most Romantic comedies seem to have that same climax where the couple has a simple misunderstanding that could have been cleared up if they bothered to talk to each other for five minutes like adults. Instead, you have to watch them get angry at each other and then make up right at the end of the film after realizing they jumped to conclusions.

I can't even remember the last romcom I was forced to watch... The one that immediately pops into my head is that Mama Mia adaption, but that was like years ago.

Also, speaking of Disney, you know the one that I couldn't buy even when I was a kid? The Little Mermaid. She was such an ass to her poor father. :(

I hated that movie because I couldn't believe that she traded being a mermaid and her voice for some guy she didn't know. I thought the show was better.

Romantic films. Can't remember the last good one I saw. I was forced to sit down to a horrendous fucking film called "The Lucky One". The setup is fucking ridiculous. Check it!

-Hunky McStubbleFace finds random picture of random woman when on tour in Iraq.
-Goes looking for this random woman, WALKS well over 1000 miles to find a lighthouse that was in the picture.
-Arrives at a dog kennel and finds this woman .

Then the rest of the film is basically the lead actress being irritated by him before eventually warming up to him. Some other guy gets jealous and tries to stop the two from hooking up. A dramatic event causes Hunky McStubbleFace to pack his bag, but then has a revelation and goes to get his woman. Yet more dramatic events happen, family and other people are saved, and then the stereotypical "I love you now" moment happens. Close curtain.

It was bland, the setup up was so stupid, and it was so by the numbers. When I told my friends I thought it was shite after watching it they all looked at me as if I said something blasphemous.

Cheska

Romantic films. Can't remember the last good one I saw. I was forced to sit down to a horrendous fucking film called "The Lucky One". The setup is fucking ridiculous. Check it!

-Goes looking for this random woman, WALKS well over 1000 miles to find a lighthouse that was in the picture.

Then the rest of the film is basically the lead actress being irritated by him before eventually warming up to him. Some other guy gets jealous and tries to stop the two from hooking up. A dramatic event causes Hunky McStubbleFace to pack his bag, but then has a revelation and goes to get his woman. Yet more dramatic events happen, family and other people are saved, and then the stereotypical "I love you now" moment happens. Close curtain.

It was bland, the setup up was so stupid, and it was so by the numbers. When I told my friends I thought it was shite after watching it they all looked at me as if I said something blasphemous.
I read the book for The Lucky One so I think that's why I have a soft spot for it. And I love that the OITNB actress is the lead :D

Does Stardust count as a romantic movie? I mean I know it's based off Neil Gaiman's fantasy novel but I fucking love Stardust, and romance is a primary focus.

omg hahahahah

i heard about this movie lol

your recap is hilarious :>

cheska, i really enjoyed stardust. it was unexpectedly cute <3

Stardust? I think I vaguely remember that film. I remember bursting out laughing when the main character cut a chandelier rope to launch himself across a hall up some stairs and then he literally dropkicks an old voodoo hag as he drops down. No joke.

Quick, to the MSPaint chopping board!

MsYwumH.png

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I hated that movie because I couldn't believe that she traded being a mermaid and her voice for some guy she didn't know. I thought the show was better.
This too! She fucking gave up everything for some guy she didn't even talk to!

"The Lucky One" in a nutshell
I've never even heard of this movie, but I'm just cringing at your description of it. ugh.

I have never been a fan of romance movies. I don't know why, I love romance in other settings, but...meh.
I'm a big fan of romance too, but most strictly romance focused media come across as trashy or cliched. Unless there's some tangible character development for both parties involved, I probably won't enjoy it.

I read the book for The Lucky One so I think that's why I have a soft spot for it. And I love that the OITNB actress is the lead :D

Does Stardust count as a romantic movie? I mean I know it's based off Neil Gaiman's fantasy novel but I fucking love Stardust, and romance is a primary focus.

The book is more romance fantasy than straight on fantasy. I usually dislike the genre, but his book is so good, sooooo much better than the movie (and the movie is actually decent). You should give it a chance sometime! It's a pretty quick summer read.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The book is more romance fantasy than straight on fantasy. I usually dislike the genre, but his book is so good, sooooo much better than the movie (and the movie is actually decent). You should give it a chance sometime! It's a pretty quick summer read.

You can't go wrong with Neil Gaiman imo...the Sandman books are mind bogglingly brilliant.

You can't go wrong with Neil Gaiman imo...the Sandman books are mind bogglingly brilliant.

I love american gods, strardust, neverwhere, coraline and sandman :)
I read him this summer, but I'm going through stephen king after rereading hannibal, Mr. Mercedes and IT will be my next books.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I love american gods, strardust, neverwhere, coraline and sandman :)
I read him this summer, but I'm going through stephen king after rereading hannibal, Mr. Mercedes and IT will be my next books.

Cool :)

I gave up reading anything but comics (erm, "literary graphic novels" as my bookshop calls them, not superheroey stuff) pretty much a year or two after my degree but I've seen the film of Coraline and it was great.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm, never could stand Gaiman. The only things he wrote that I enjoyed were Good Omens (co-written by Pratchett) and I guess Neverwhere was all right, but no more. Absolutely hated American Gods.

I feel almost bad though, because I really like the guy from what I've seen in interviews. I just can't stand his stories. XD

suzu

I've only read American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Lane from Neil Gaiman. First book was kinda meh, and the latter was decent. I will read Sandman at some point... eventually. lol

Opiate

Hi girlgaf, how have things been? I haven't been visiting as much since my (then) girlfriend Clevergirl stopped posting.

Any thing moderators can do to make the forum more accommodating for women generally? Please note that we may not do the things you suggest -- this isn't a guarantee of changes, just a quest for some ideas. I'd just like to see ideas, whether they be very specific or extremely broad.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi girlgaf, how have things been? I haven't been visiting as much since my (then) girlfriend Clevergirl stopped posting.

Any thing moderators can do to make the forum more accommodating for women generally? Please note that we may not do the things you suggest -- this isn't a guarantee of changes, just a quest for some ideas. I'd just like to see ideas, whether they be very specific or extremely broad.

Hey!

This is probably particular to me more than anyone else and probably a sign of my inexperience with online forums and/or my age (ahem), but I do kind of feel like there's a degree of hyper-aggressiveness over on gaming side sometimes which can go a bit unchecked.

Basically, I'm just sore that I started a Last of Us thread which I thought was asking a reasonable question and then got piled on by what felt like a mountain of aggressive (presumably) blokes calling me a joke, going on about me starting threads to deliberately troll etc. I see it in other threads too, it's probably me being oversensitive (emotional defences are not my strong point!) but it feels to me like there is this assumption by a lot of posters that everyone posting over on gaming side is some bloke who is 'up for banter', when wusses like me can find it pretty hurtful pretty quickly. Almost quit the forum for good after that. Thankfully some nice folk persuaded me to stay :)

Like I say, complete sob story and I handled it pretty badly! But I'm sure there's a kernel of something useful in there. I hope :/ I don't know how you 'tone it down' to be honest, it seems to be part of the personality of the gaming forum.

I don't know! Sorry for rambling. Basically me me me me. Me and moreover me.

Pau

Hmm, never could stand Gaiman. The only things he wrote that I enjoyed were Good Omens (co-written by Pratchett) and I guess Neverwhere was all right, but no more. Absolutely hated American Gods.

I feel almost bad though, because I really like the guy from what I've seen in interviews. I just can't stand his stories. XD
Don't worry, I hated American Gods as well! I think Gaiman really shines when he writes for children or younger audiences (So Coraline, The Graveyard Book, Stardust.) I think it's because he limits himself in length which makes it a much tighter experience. And his younger protagonists are much more likable and bearable then someone like the protagonist of American Gods.

Speaking of Pratchett, I will never get over that we ALMOST had a Disney animated adaptation of MORT. Why can't Disney add Discworld to their Marvel and Star Wars stuff and we can get every Discworld book as a 2D animated film... it would be perfect. One of my favorite fan artists ended up working at Disney (On Princess and the Frog) and just look at how perfect this is.

Hi!

I haven't really had any problems with gaming side since I mainly just lurk there, but one thing I have noticed in OT is that when starting a thread about a woman's issue, other posters don't like listening to what we have to say. There were several threads about "pls respond" topics which included several insightful posts by women, to have them be completely disregarded. It's almost like no one is listening and instead rambles on about things that aren't even really relevant to them.

I dunno. It just feels like the girls here don't really have a voice when it comes to these issues.

Oh, and these "_____ is looking really good these days" threads are annoying and degrading. IMO.

Wazzy

Banned
^ Yeah the " ___is looking good" are obnoxious. Thankfully they closed down the recent one.

Sup Opiate!

In all honesty the only things that have really been annoying are dismissive comments like "PC police" that try to shut down any discussion just because it's against something the poster likes so it would be nice to see that kind of posting be dealt with. Especially over in gaming where it's pretty much in every diversity thread.

Thank you for at least considering us. :)

Hi!

I haven't really had any problems with gaming side since I mainly just lurk there, but one thing I have noticed in OT is that when starting a thread about a woman's issue, other posters don't like listening to what we have to say. There were several threads about "pls respond" topics which included several insightful posts by women, to have them be completely disregarded. It's almost like no one is listening and instead rambles on about things that aren't even really relevant to them.

I dunno. It just feels like the girls here don't really have a voice when it comes to these issues.

Oh, and these "_____ is looking really good these days" threads are annoying and degrading. IMO.
I agree. Those thread are probably the worst, and would love if they didn't exist anymore, even when they are "cleverly" reworded, as soon as you enter into the thread, its exactly like all the rest. lately there have also been some pretty terrible threads about trans, homosexual, general sex threads that have ended up going downhill, but most of those were taken care of.

Opiate

Hey!

This is probably particular to me more than anyone else and probably a sign of my inexperience with online forums and/or my age (ahem), but I do kind of feel like there's a degree of hyper-aggressiveness over on gaming side sometimes which can go a bit unchecked.

Basically, I'm just sore that I started a Last of Us thread which I thought was asking a reasonable question and then got piled on by what felt like a mountain of aggressive (presumably) blokes calling me a joke, going on about me starting threads to deliberately troll etc. I see it in other threads too, it's probably me being oversensitive (emotional defences are not my strong point!) but it feels to me like there is this assumption by a lot of posters that everyone posting over on gaming side is some bloke who is 'up for banter', when wusses like me can find it pretty hurtful pretty quickly. Almost quit the forum for good after that. Thankfully some nice folk persuaded me to stay :)

Like I say, complete sob story and I handled it pretty badly! But I'm sure there's a kernel of something useful in there. I hope :/ I don't know how you 'tone it down' to be honest, it seems to be part of the personality of the gaming forum.

I don't know! Sorry for rambling. Basically me me me me. Me and moreover me.

You picked a tough topic to come in on. Fanboyism is rife on gaming sites, and while NeoGAF is better than most, based-TLOU is basically the third rail. Sorry for the trouble; you may notice we banned quite a few people in that thread.

Hi!

I think this is a consequence of what I've long noticed; women are a tiny minority. It's simply hard to be heard when you represent, oh, 5-10% of the population, unless the powers-that-be make a conscious, deliberate attempt to help that 5-10% out. Please note that this isn't supposed to be a knock on my own sex (or on yours), but that this seems to be the natural consequence of any discussion when a point of view is a tiny minority. People operate as if that point of view doesn't really exist.

Opiate

I've been closing a large number of those "looking good" threads, by the way. They may become outright banned.

Just to explain why they aren't already banned: sometimes, they start out with what is a reasonably acceptable discussion of a person's actual condition. Over the course of several pages, however, that discussion often breaks down and just becomes hot pics of that person (either now or before a supposed breakdown) without any valuable posts with real content.

The most recent threads, though, do away with almost all general discussion and just get straight to hot pics followed immediately by GIFs of men wiping their mouths or licking their lips or whatever. Getting close to "yeah, no more of this" territory.

Yes, I generally avoid any thread about gender because they turn nasty so quickly. I don't know what could really be done about that though - stifling conversation about gender issues obviously wouldn't be good either. This is in both the gaming side and OT. It's a shame - there's potential for some really interesting discussion, but it never seems to stay civil.

(Despite the av, I'm a woman. I just find the hipster moustache gent amusing, and sometimes it's easier to have people assume I'm a man. Nice to meet you all!)

Can't say I have much to complain about. Been no derogatory comments fired at me, or any opinion dismissing based on my gender, which is something I can't say for a bunch of other forums I've frequented and moderated in the past. Plus I got a few compliments in the faceGAF thread. Which is nice! Haha! Sweet talking is a plus!

A few topics that have gone south lately but that's the nature of internet forums. Plenty of shit to shovel out from the stables. Ignorants sods weed themselves out eventually.

Opiate said:
I've been closing a large number of those "looking good" threads, by the way. They may become outright banned.

Hey Opiate... looking pretty good!

Opiate

Yes, I generally avoid any thread about gender because they turn nasty so quickly. I don't know what could really be done about that though - stifling conversation about gender issues obviously wouldn't be good either. This is in both the gaming side and OT. It's a shame - there's potential for some really interesting discussion, but it never seems to stay civil.

(Despite the av, I'm a woman. I just find the hipster moustache gent amusing, and sometimes it's easier to have people assume I'm a man. Nice to meet you all!)

We may make avatars like yours bannable -- we need all women to be clearly identified. We may distribute badges for all of you to wear on your forearms. Perhaps stars? Stars are appropriately feminine.

Top Bottom