• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Anastasia

I like JRPGs, but my problem is that the gameplay and story have to be compelling enough for me to invest the amount of time that is usually required in them, and that is not always the case. And aside from that the style of gameplay just isn't my favorite. I think I'm more into games that utilize RPG elements, like the Souls games, but have more dynamic gameplay.

Kinsei

Banned
I may sound pretty ignorant here (won't be the first time) but I find most modern Japanese games to be pretty...umm...creepy. There's a lot of infantilisation and just a general feel of perviness. But I'm biased because I hate JRPGs too. I'm the one person in the whole world who thinks Persona 4 Golden is rubbish.

I totally understand where you are coming from, but as someone in a same-sex relationship and fairly familiar (only fairly, mind) with the gay culture around where I live, you might be surprised to hear plenty of women take the same tone about women too! I agree with Dragonz tbh, if it's just innocent fun it's not so bad. It's not hard for it to cross over into skanky / creepiness though.

I totally agree with you about most Japanese games being creepy, but maybe it's always been this way and it just seems like there are so many now because they're being localized. It really sucks that it's now making its way into series I was respected. Look at Fire Emblem Awakening, if you want to get every character in the game you have to make one of your characters sleep with an 8 year old, but it's totally OK because she's really a 1000 year old dragon. That's seriously the excuse the game uses.

Yeah, it's a fine line between admiring a photo and turning into a creeper. Most of the time it's not taken too far here on GAF, but there have been a few times I've been legitimately creeped out by stuff like that here. The Treehouse thread comes to mind.

On the other side, I love JRPGs! Sometimes the stories are a bit cliche and over-the-top, but I think it's relaxing to play a million-hour low-thinking grind-fest while I listen to a podcast or something. And some of the stories are great, like in some Final Fantasy games.

I never get creepy-vibes from them unless they're heavily influenced by anime like the Tales series. I don't play too many JRPGs like that, though.

I love the non creepy ones. I've currently racked up around 90 hours in Final Fantasy X HD. in another 5 or so I should have the platinum trophy, assuming I get lucky drops from One Eye. I'll probably get some flak for this, but Kingdom Hearts is another JRPG series I love.

Mono

On the other side, I love JRPGs! Sometimes the stories are a bit cliche and over-the-top, but I think it's relaxing to play a million-hour low-thinking grind-fest while I listen to a podcast or something. And some of the stories are great, like in some Final Fantasy games.

I never get creepy-vibes from them unless they're heavily influenced by anime like the Tales series. I don't play too many JRPGs like that, though.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm probably turning into one of those "the good 'ol days" about JRPG's because I honestly think they used to be a lot better and I say this as someone who's favourite genre is still JRPG's.

Squaresoft/Enix franchises always seemed really good about their female characters and plenty of other games were really good too. Not to say there's none now but it just seems like people are more defensive of flaws that aren't even worth defending compared to what was defended back then.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I feel like discussing/criticising Japanese games is a minefield with NeoGAF users. It's tough. Before you can even approach the topic of women in Japanese games, you have to fight an uphill battle against a anime-avatar'd swarm of people
Legit lol'ed at that. So true. And not just any kind of anime avatar, too, but invariably the cutesy moe or lolis. I don't want to be the kind that judges people by their avatars, but damn if there isn't a pattern in those threads. >_>

But aside from the usual suspects in those threads, the really annoying part was having the XSEED PR/Marketing guy in the thread (as he has done in other threads about their recent games), pulling a Baghdad Bob routine about how people just "don't get it", that these games often have really amazing stories if you look past the T&A, and people unfortunately don't realize the game is not just about stripping girls to defeat them. "If only the game's marketing could accurately reflect that", says the game's marketing person.
Oh gods, that guy.... yeah, I agree. It's laughable. If only we could just get past the T&A and see those games for how deep they are! *rolls eyes* It's like they don't realize that it doesn't work that way. You can have the best story in the world, but if you start peppering it with jiggling boobs or crotch shots, no one will ever take you seriously.

I may sound pretty ignorant here (won't be the first time) but I find most modern Japanese games to be pretty...umm...creepy. There's a lot of infantilisation and just a general feel of perviness. But I'm biased because I hate JRPGs too. I'm the one person in the whole world who thinks Persona 4 Golden is rubbish.
Never played that one, but I find it sad that modern jRPGs are associated with creepy/pervy/crappy loli/moe stuff. I used to love jRPGs in the 90's, games like Suikoden, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy (pre-8), Xenogears, Wild ARMs, Breath of Fire, Shining Force, etc. and it wasn't filled to the brim with that stuff like the more modern ones seem to be. What the hell happened?
Shining Force is probably the most obvious example, really. From the classy, normal fantasy settings and cool 90's style anime character art in the numbered series, to Tony Taka's awful, awful borderline softcore loli bullshit after that. *barf*

Edit:
I'm probably turning into one of those "the good 'ol days" about JRPG's because I honestly think they used to be a lot better
Yup, I'm an "old woman yelling at jRPG clouds" too. xD

Karkador

Banned
I'm probably turning into one of those "the good 'ol days" about JRPG's because I honestly think they used to be a lot better and I say this as someone who's favourite genre is still JRPG's.

Squaresoft/Enix franchises always seemed really good about their female characters and plenty of other games were really good too. Not to say there's none now but it just seems like people are more defensive of flaws that aren't even worth defending compared to what was defended back then.

I think maybe Xenogears didn't really have much in the way of great female characters? There was Elly, who was kind of just there, and then every other lady was probably some kind of terrible person, but I haven't played the game in a very long while. On the other hand, maybe girls- nay, everyone- was too busy fawning over Citan to notice.

Parasite Eve/Third Birthday seems to have gone to complete shit.

What do you think about the women in FF8?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think maybe Xenogears didn't really have much in the way of great female characters? There was Elly, who was kind of just there, and then every other lady was probably some kind of terrible person, but I haven't played the game in a very long while. On the other hand, maybe girls- nay, everyone- was too busy fawning over Citan to notice.
Xenogears wasn't bad. Maria was a bit meh, but at least her mecha was badass :p For a little girl type of character, she was at least tasteful, lol. and Emeralda was kinda cool. And Miang is probably the most powerful entity on the whole planet, pretty good villain I thought.

Absolutely goddamn awful. But I may be biased since I positively, rabidly loathe that game. But yes, they were all supremely awful. FF has always been kind of bad for female characters, to be honest. I only ever liked Rydia and Celes. (Uh, I guess Faris and Krile were okay, but FF5 didn't have much in terms of characterization overall, regardless of gender.)

Mono

Xenogears wasn't bad. Maria was a bit meh, but at least her mecha was badass :p For a little girl type of character, she was at least tasteful, lol. and Emeralda was kinda cool. And Miang is probably the most powerful entity on the whole planet, pretty good villain I thought.

Absolutely goddamn awful. But I may be biased since I positively, rabidly loathe that game. But yes, they were all supremely awful. FF has always been kind of bad for female characters, to be honest. I only ever liked Rydia and Celes. (Uh, I guess Faris and Krile were okay, but FF5 didn't have much in terms of characterization overall, regardless of gender.)

To be fair, most characters in FFVIII are awful, regardless of gender! Laguna's pretty awesome, though.

Have you played the later titles? Yuna, Lightning, and Ashe, are all great female characters in my opinion! Though people probably disagree with me about Lightning.

To be fair, most characters in FFVIII are awful, regardless of gender! Laguna's pretty awesome, though.

Have you played the later titles? Yuna, Lightning, and Ashe, are all great female characters in my opinion! Though people probably disagree with me about Lightning.

OHHHHHHHH WAZZY ARE YOU GONNA TAKE THIS

suzu

I don't play the moe-looking anime ones or whatever, but I still love JRPGs. If a Japanese game has one or two of those type of characters (like Fire Emblem Awakening), I don't let it deter me from playing it (if it's overall a good game). I'm still really sad that there aren't as many rpgs like the old days though. Not much to choose from now. :(

As for the waifu thing, I look at it as a joke. I sometimes make husbando jokes too about characters. It's only weird when some people take it to the next level.

I think the FF series has been okay with their female characters. I don't have too many complaints except with some bad outfit choices and Lightning (ok, it's Toriyama that I have a problem with. lol). The most recent FFXIV has a lot of strong women in it.

Also, FF8 is great. Ya'll are crazy.

Karkador

Banned
Uh oh, I didn't mean to start a fight :p FF8 is the one I asked about because it's Wazzy's favorite, and it has a few more female themes than usual, for better or worse. The Succession of Witches thing was interesting; the love stories were tripping over each other.

IMO, Chrono Trigger has Square's most well-rounded and memorable cast.

Mono

SCROOOOOOOGE

I'm sorry Wazzy, FF8 characters are not really my thing!

What do you girls think about sexism that makes sense in a games' universe?

I personally don't have a problem with it at all! Maybe it's just because I'm a writer obsessed with consistancy and realistic world building. I don't think writers and game writers should be afraid to make their games not PC in this regard, since it can add a lot to the world and make for some interesting characters and plots.

For example, if some Game of Thrones characters weren't as sexist as they are, there would be a lot less conflict!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
To be fair, most characters in FFVIII are awful, regardless of gender!
Very true. Don't agree with Laguna, I hate him too. I honestly hate them all. I get angry just thinking about that game, haha.

Ewwwwwwwwwww

IMO, Chrono Trigger has Square's most well-rounded and memorable cast.
I'd vote for FF6 myself. I only really liked Frog and Magus in CT (I didn't dislike the others, but they were just kinda there... I guess Ayla was okay).

I personally don't have a problem with it at all! Maybe it's just because I'm a writer obsessed with consistancy and realistic world building. I don't think writers and game writers should be afraid to make their games not PC in this regard, since it can add a lot to the world and make for some interesting characters and plots.

For example, if some Game of Thrones characters weren't as sexist as they are, there would be a lot less conflict!
Yeah of course. Sexist or patriarchal characters can still be very interesting. And yet ASoIaF is full of interesting and well-written and complex female characters. Because, as GRRM said, the idea is simply to write them as people. =)

SCROOOOOOOGE

Yeah, it doesn't bother me. I just care about the characters being complex and well fleshed out, and that is only possible when you bring out their bad sides. Those extra traits add to the world, and I'm okay with that.

Mono

I'd vote for FF6 myself. I only really liked Frog and Magus in CT (I didn't dislike the others, but they were just kinda there... I guess Ayla was okay).

My vote's on FF6 as well. Too many excellent characters in there! Though Chrono Trigger wins in terms of plot!

Yeah of course. Sexist or patriarchal characters can still be very interesting. And yet ASoIaF is full of interesting and well-written and complex female characters. Because, as GRRM said, the idea is simply to write them as people. =)

My favorite quote from George himself!

Fwr8guX.jpg

Kinsei

Banned
I don't play the moe-looking anime ones or whatever, but I still love JRPGs. If a Japanese game has one or two of those type of characters (like Fire Emblem Awakening), I don't let it deter me from playing it (if it's overall a good game). I'm still really sad that there aren't as many rpgs like the old days though. Not much to choose from now. :(

As for the waifu thing, I look at it as a joke. I sometimes make husbando jokes too about characters. It's only weird when some people take it to the next level.

I think the FF series has been okay with their female characters. I don't have too many complaints except with some bad outfit choices and Lightning (ok, it's Toriyama that I have a problem with. lol). The most recent FFXIV has a lot of strong women in it.

Also, FF8 is great. Ya'll are crazy.

I'm willing to look past characters like Ivy and so on if the game is fun, but I won't look past the sexualization of children. I wish I would have known about Nowi beforehand so I wouldn't have wasted my money.

FFVIII is okay. Not great but not bad either. FFIX is the best Squaresoft RPG.

My vote's on FF6 as well. Too many excellent characters in there! Though Chrono Trigger wins in terms of plot!

My favorite quote from George himself!

Fwr8guX.jpg

That's a real quote? Awesome. Maybe I should start reading and watching GoT.

Kimaka

SCROOOOOOOGE

It's fine as long as it's not an excuse to have women character get raped all the time or barely exist. I love GoT because the women are constrained by society but also have interesting personalities. They react in different ways to their circumstances and aren't confined to being submissive.

Kinsei

Banned
George is really great. If you're going to get into the series though, I always recommend reading the books first. But they're massive, so if reading isn't your thing, the show is still great.

How are the shows seasons split up? Does one book = a full season? I'll be reading the books, but if I can go book, show, repeat until finished, that would be wonderful.

Wazzy

Banned
ALL THIS VIII TALK I'M IN HEAVE-

Omg FF8 throw down.

I thought most aspects of 8 were terrible too lol.

SCROOOOOOOGE

!
:(

Y'all need jesus in your life.

Also Scrooooooge! Is probably the best line in the game. I constantly make fun of it with my friends

I'll edit a bigger response in soon, I'm at work and want to fully explain my feelings on the characters. :D
Edit:

Yup, I'm an "old woman yelling at jRPG clouds" too. xD
I know you dislike most later FF's so we won't ever see eye to eye on that series but you're pretty cool and I find I still like the same stuff as you. The thing about VIII is, I love it, I think it's an amazing game but if people dislike it, they do. Everyone will like or dislike what they want to. My only issues ever come around when people make up stuff that doesn't actually happen. I take issue with people debating a games characters and then accusing them of things they don't do. I've gotten into multiple debates over it. :p

But as I said, Dragonz and everyone that doesn't like VIII is awesome and I'm cool with them not liking it. It's funny too because I probably like the same ones you guys all do, I just happen to prefer VIII. xD

Wazzy

Banned
Can I just butt in and my FF love is FF9?

I thought Zidane was one of the most amazing leads. He was funny, respectful, loyal, brave, etc. Overall I really liked the characters from there.

Vivi, Dagger, Zidane, Kuja, Beatrix, Steiner. haha

I like Zidane but we all know that's not true. :p

He would touch Garnet's ass without permission all the time.

How are the shows seasons split up? Does one book = a full season? I'll be reading the books, but if I can go book, show, repeat until finished, that would be wonderful.

Season 1 = Book 1 (it's actually scarily accurate to the book)
Season 2 = Book 2
Season 3 = First half of book 3
Season 4 = The other half of book 3 and a little bit of book 4

Season 5 will be books 4 and 5 (they happen at the same time in the series so they'll probably smush them together). We might even get a little bit of book 6, but I dunno.

The show is awesome, but you miss out on so many little juicy tidbits and connections, as well as all the history that happened before the show / events of the series. It's really rich and entertaining to read.

Wazzy

Banned

Xenogears females weren't as well written as the men but I would say Elly seemed like a pretty great character. She played a big role in a lot of the game since she kickstarts the events and then her backstory is pretty important. But yeah there's not many females in Xenogears so I do think that was a problem.

Parasite Eve was fantastic but what the series turned into is bad. That's especially why I tend to dislike S-E nowadays.

Now to answer the big and last question, I'll give my reasons for why I really like VIII's female characters.

For me, they felt like actual people. Let's start with Rinoa. She's one of the most polarizing female characters in the series. For every person that likes her, you've got two more ready to say how much they hate her. Now, I understand why people have sore feelings about Rinoa. She's not your typical "tough" female lead that a lot of people love. She's spoiled, stubborn, weaker than the main cast and constantly puts herself in danger.

That all sounds pretty terrible right? well that's exactly why I enjoy her character and the way she grows. She's born into a rich family, her father a general in the army and her mother a famous one-hit wonder singer. Her mother died at a young age in a car accident thus she was left to be raised by her father who neglects her while she's growing up.

When she's older she goes through the rebelling phase and runs away from home. She start's a rebel group that is inexperienced and are not fit to face the harsh realities of politics and military control even though she's doing it for a good cause. So when they go to SeeD for help and they arrive, she starts to learn these realities and Squall is one of the bigger reasons she faces it. Now, this is why I liked Squall and Rinoa's romance. They both play off each others flaws and that's why they improve on them. Squall and co. show Rinoa how dangerous and clueless her plan was. Instead of acknowledging her irresponsible behaviour, she get's defensive and walks away. She's acting like a teenager because she is one.

Throughout the game she makes poor decisions but the game never treats them like they're okay. In fact, a big part of the game is her being reprimanded for her mistakes and her coming to the realization that she can't keep up with the main group because she's an average citizen getting involved where she never should have. She's growing, learning and understanding and to me, that's fantastic to see. When she becomes a sorceress, she makes the decision to be sealed away for the protection of everyone but what I like is that you see her fear about doing it. This is a 17 year old girl being given such huge responsibilities that she can't handle and yet there she is trying to. That's her first big step into making an important decision and she chooses the right path.

Yes, she get's captured again by Seifer but that's because she has history with him. It's a previous boyfriend she had feelings for and who she trusted turning on her when she didn't expect it. She showed sympathy for him and payed for it.

Then finally we reach the end of the game and this is the one of the biggest reason I like her character. Rinoa saves Squall. It's not the hero saving the heroine, it's the reverse. She saves his life both emotionally and physically. When I was younger that really connected with me because most games it was always the male character saving the female character. In VIII, that happens a lot but you know it's not because Rinoa is a girl, it's because she's inexperienced but is following a military trained group. Her actions are looked down at while in a lot of games the hero saves heroine and it's just kind of there. I really appreciated her growth and how her character development finished.

Then you've got the really tame and nice designs for all the women and it makes me even happier with the cast.

I wrote such a huge response about Rinoa because she's one of my favourites. She wasn't just there to be a background prop for the hero to save. She played a role in the game and I liked that.

I've ended up liking a lot of the females in the series. FF VI has wonderful characters as does VII(as much as I dislike the fan's obssession with Tifa) and X was great too with Yuna's development. But Rinoa felt realistic, especially for her age and it made enjoying the character that much better. I also loved that none of the characters were over sexualized or used as fan service.

Anyway I'll discuss the other female characters after since I think there's enough to discuss just about Rinoa.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
The show is more problematic than the books, especially with adding instances of rape where there wasn't rape in the books for IDK, drama or something. I like the show but I will FOREVER FUCKING BITCH about that.

You know, I took all the of the changes in stride (even if I didn't agree with them) but rape additions were infuriating.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, really hated that rape scene. Even more so considering the director failed to realize he had directed a rape scene. >_<

Also, I think the show adapted some scenes in rather sexist ways, at times. I mentioned the Osha thing in the shaving thread (a wildling warrior woman who gets naked, and of course her skin is silky smooth and her bush is neatly trimmed... please!), but her appearance in the show was far from the biggest issue (I just mentioned that because it was related to the topic).
In the novels, Osha [mild book 2 spoilers]
convinces Theon to free her by being a badass spearwife. Theon is impressed by her attitude and her strength, and it's Theon Greyjoy, a womanizer who generally is pretty far down the list when it comes to respecting women!
But in the TV show, [S2 TV spoilers]
she convinces him that she's on his side by... getting naked and sleeping with him. In a scene that made no sense, because even though she "distracted" him and he's sound asleep, she still has to sneak out of the bedroom to help Bran & co. escape. She wouldn't have to sneak out of the bedroom if she hadn't gone to Theon's bedroom in the first place! But then we wouldn't have met the nudity quota, duh. So fucking stupid.

Non spoilerish version: in the book, a warrior woman who succeeds at something through her strength, attitude and cunning, whereas in the TV adaptation, she succeeds at something by getting naked and seducing a man. Ugh.

Another sexist adaptation IMO, is how they handled Catelyn Stark. They removed many of her smarter decisions and gave them to her son Robb Stark instead, to make his character more prominent (because who can root for the middle-aged woman hero, instead of the handsome 20-year old male hero, amirite). They even inverted some of her decisions completely; in the book she offers to treat with a potential ally, and others balk but eventually accept; in the show, her son asks her to do that and she balks before eventually caving in. TV-Catelyn is still a pretty good character, in large part due to the amazing actress, but that was really disappointing to me.

Kimaka

Yeah, really hated that rape scene. Even more so considering the director failed to realize he had directed a rape scene. >_<

Also, I think the show adapted some scenes in rather sexist ways, at times. I mentioned the Osha thing in the shaving thread (a wildling warrior woman who gets naked, and of course her skin is silky smooth and her bush is neatly trimmed... please!), but her appearance in the show was far from the biggest issue (I just mentioned that because it was related to the topic).
In the novels, Osha [mild book 2 spoilers]
convinces Theon to free her by being a badass spearwife. Theon is impressed by her attitude and her strength, and it's Theon Greyjoy, a womanizer who generally is pretty far down the list when it comes to respecting women!
But in the TV show, [S2 TV spoilers]
she convinces him that she's on his side by... getting naked and sleeping with him. In a scene that made no sense, because even though she "distracted" him and he's sound asleep, she still has to sneak out of the bedroom to help Bran & co. escape. She wouldn't have to sneak out of the bedroom if she hadn't gone to Theon's bedroom in the first place! But then we wouldn't have met the nudity quota, duh. So fucking stupid.

Non spoilerish version: in the book, a warrior woman who succeeds at something through her strength, attitude and cunning, whereas in the TV adaptation, she succeeds at something by getting naked and seducing a man. Ugh.

Another sexist adaptation IMO, is how they handled Catelyn Stark. They removed many of her smarter decisions and gave them to her son Robb Stark instead, to make his character more prominent (because who can root for the middle-aged woman hero, instead of the handsome 20-year old male hero, amirite). They even inverted some of her decisions completely; in the book she offers to treat with a potential ally, and others balk but eventually accept; in the show, her son asks her to do that and she balks before eventually caving in. TV-Catelyn is still a pretty good character, in large part due to the amazing actress, but that was really disappointing to me.

Ugh, yet another thing that was unnecessarily changed for more boobs. The reason I'm behind on season four is because of
Jamie raping Cersei
and finding out that wasn't in the book at all. I started the show because I heard it's treatment of women was better than the books, which I was told was creepy, and it looks like the opposite is true. I think I'm finally jumping into the books.

Wazzy

Banned
After re-reading my post, I think I'm too passionate when talking about VIII. :lol

Still, so many aspects are amazing even when not discussing the characters. Beautiful and lively world, gorgeous OST, detailed and nice art design, etc.

Sometimes I think I'm the only Final Fantasy fan that loves every single mainline game, heh.

Though I am soured on the XIII series because of how terrible Lightning is.

Mono

After re-reading my post, I think I'm too passionate when talking about VIII. :lol

Still, so many aspects are amazing even when not discussing the characters. Beautiful and lively world, gorgeous OST, detailed and nice art design, etc.

Sometimes I think I'm the only Final Fantasy fan that loves every single mainline game, heh.

Final Fantasy OSTs are the best; I want to see Distant Worlds so bad!

I would be like that if I didn't irrationally hate FFV so much! I love all the others even if some of them are incredibly cheesy! The cheese definitely adds a lot to FFVIII and FFX, haha.

Kimaka

lol, who said this? Patently untrue. :\

An acquaintance trying to get me into the show since they heard I liked fantasy. I remember them saying there was a lot of rape in the books and the show was better about that. Lol, boy they were wrong. To be fair, that was around when there were only two seasons.

suzu

I thought that was a really good post Wazzy. :)

Totally agree with you Morrigan. I guess HBO demands a certain amount of nudity/sex scenes... but that doesn't explain the dumb and unnecessary changes to some scenes/characters. :/

Wazzy

Banned
On the topic of IX, why Beatrix was never playable is beyond me. Best character. Vivi is also great.

Final Fantasy OSTs are the best; I want to see Distant Worlds so bad!

I would be like that if I didn't irrationally hate FFV so much! I love all the others even if some of them are incredibly cheesy! The cheese definitely adds a lot to FFVIII and FFX, haha.
They really are! I've been to Distant Worlds once and my god it was amazing. I'm also pretty happy with their VIII output so that made the experience even better. All of the tracks orchestrated are so gorgeous. FF X's Zanarkand to VIII's Fishermans Horizon and Liberi Fatali and even beautiful tracks like Aeris's theme, you'll get pretty emotional when hearing them all.

I love V for it's battle system but I haven't played it in years so I can't recall anything noteable about the cast. But hey, you at least like VIII so you'se extra cool. :p
I thought that was a really good post Wazzy. :)

Totally agree with you Morrigan. I guess HBO demands a certain amount of nudity/sex scenes... but that doesn't explain the dumb and unnecessary changes to some scenes/characters. :/

Thank you!

Mono

On the topic of IX, why Beatrix was never playable is beyond me. Best character. Vivi is also great.

They really are! I've been to Distant Worlds once and my god it was amazing. I'm also pretty happy with their VIII output so that made the experience even better. All of the tracks orchestrated are so gorgeous. FF X's Zanarkand to VIII's Fishermans Horizon and Liberi Fatali and even beautiful tracks like Aeris's theme, you'll get pretty emotional when hearing them all.

I love V for it's battle system but I haven't played it in years so I can't recall anything noteable about the cast. But hey, you at least like VIII so you'se extra cool. :p

When FFIX comes out for the PC (*hint hint Squeenix!*), someone needs to make a mod for that. Beatrix is a BAMF! I like Freyja a lot, too, whatever she is.

Oooh, that's amazing!! I've always wanted to go! I have the CDs and they're great.

I didn't like Final Fantasy III much because of the job system, so I wasn't a big fan of FFV either, even though it fixed a lot of things. Interestingly enough, I love Bravely Default a lot! Maybe I should revisit FFIII and FFV to see if I've changed my mind about them. I like the FF games that have great characters and neither of those games really do. :(

I love Final Fantasy VIII, I'm just not a big fan of most of the cast!

Karkador

Banned
Yeah, thanks for the post, Wazzy. It's been a long time since I played the game, and it's a game that frequently gets blasted, so it's interesting to see someone's positive take on it.

I liked Lightning in XIII up to the point you notice her attitude is more about being a brat than being a boss (worst birthday ever). And then less so when XIII became a really weird thing overall.

It would have been cool if Ashe was the actual main character of XII. It would have made a lot more sense than the inconsequential Vaan.

Kinsei

Banned

I like every FF game except 2. I didn't like X-2 at first but I'm starting to warm up to it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that my favorite XIII game (XIII-2) has the least amount of Lightning in it.

Mono

It would have been cool if Ashe was the actual main character of XII. It would have made a lot more sense than the inconsequential Vaan.

The weridest thing about FFXII was that Ashe and Basch pretty much were the main characters. Focusing the game's persepctive on Vaan didn't mix well at all with the political plot it had going on, and the game would have flowed a lot better if Vaan and Penelo were completely absent.

I like every FF game except 2. I didn't like X-2 at first but I'm starting to warm up to it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that my favorite XIII game (XIII-2) has the least amount of Lightning in it.

Seems like people either love or hate X-2. I played ten minutes of it and never looked back. I'll try it again if I end up getting the remastered PS3 X/X-2! I don't know why I didn't like it.

Lol. That and XIII-2 improved a lot of the battle mechanics!

Karkador

Banned
The weridest thing about FFXII was that Ashe and Basch pretty much were the main characters. Focusing the game's persepctive on Vaan didn't mix well at all with the political plot it had going on, and the game would have flowed a lot better if Vaan and Penelo were completely absent.

Totally. "What would this interesting political fantasy story look like to someone who doesn't really care or is too young to know about politics and all that jazz? Okay, let's make a second pass on the story, from that fascinating perspective"

Mono

Totally. "What would this interesting political fantasy story look like to someone who doesn't really care or is too young to know about politics and all that jazz? Okay, let's make a second pass on the story, from that fascinating perspective"

Oh, Squeenix! If they wanted their game to appeal to a younger crowd, then they shouldn't have built the entire foundation of the game on a world with an 100% political plot. They could have just added Vaan and Penelo to the sequal and kept them out of the base game!

Cat

On the subject of Game of Thrones, that Jamie/Cersei scene felt so wrong, and it was disturbing to read that the director really felt that scene was consensual because it was quite clear that message did not reach most of the audience. Drago/Dany is also problematic. It is actually, imo, a far more powerful scene to have the original way.

I like the FF series too (and Fang is my favorite -hence my avatar). I actually liked Lightning fine but certainly not enough to play Lightning Returns after that awful FF13-2 ending. I don't like her THAT much and certainly lost faith in the storytelling after that point.

I don't love or hate FF8 but one of my friends is a big fan. I think I'll always be more partial to FF6 since it was my first, and I do rank both Terra and Celes rather high.

Wazzy

Banned
When FFIX comes out for the PC (*hint hint Squeenix!*), someone needs to make a mod for that. Beatrix is a BAMF! I like Freyja a lot, too, whatever she is.

Oooh, that's amazing!! I've always wanted to go! I have the CDs and they're great.

I didn't like Final Fantasy III much because of the job system, so I wasn't a big fan of FFV either, even though it fixed a lot of things. Interestingly enough, I love Bravely Default a lot! Maybe I should revisit FFIII and FFV to see if I've changed my mind about them. I like the FF games that have great characters and neither of those games really do. :(

I love Final Fantasy VIII, I'm just not a big fan of most of the cast!
I wonder if they'll actually do a PC release since IX takes more work than VII and VIII. It would be great if they did!

I took III as being the simple cast with no personality much like I. V I don't care for the cast much because I can abrely remember them hah.
Yeah, thanks for the post, Wazzy. It's been a long time since I played the game, and it's a game that frequently gets blasted, so it's interesting to see someone's positive take on it.

I liked Lightning in XIII up to the point you notice her attitude is more about being a brat than being a boss (worst birthday ever). And then less so when XIII became a really weird thing overall.

No problem! It's always fun explaining why I enjoy VIII's cast. There's flaws but I appreciate the ones that are intended because to me it makes them relateable.

You should definitely try it again if you ever get the chance. I can't say you'll change your mind about the cast but you never know.

I didn't mind Lightning in XIII but I didn't really see her as the main character in it. Her whole character development felt rushed which is why I couldn't grow to find her interesting. One moment she's the tough, take no shit while treating others like crap attitude and then the next she's all happy with the group. I wasn't offended by her until she started getting over represented and shoved down peoples throats. Of all FF characters they chose her and that sucked.

Basch and Ashe both were pretty much the leads but the odd perspective from Vaan made it seem like he was which also put a weird damper on the game. I hope it get's released for vita as a remaster because I would like to experience the game again.

I don't want another giant post so I'll just make a shorter comment about Quistis and Selphie. I liked that they were both strong in their own ways but weak in other aspects. Quistis is smart, strong and beautiful. She's a young prodigy who succeeded early on and for that she ends up taking on responsibilities at 15 up until 18. While she's growing and maturing to become more well adjusted to her role as teacher, she's still letting teenage emotions affect her decisions. I like that most of VIII's cast show how being raised in a military school doesn't mean they're going to not have the same insecurities and flaws as other people. She get's punished for her mistakes and I love that. The game isn't encouraging these poor decisions. It's the parts that show them learning from their mistakes. I also liked the little details about her character like her being the best at triple triad compared to everyone in Garden and her having a fan group. Now, one problem from VIII is that Quistis get's kind of dropped towards the end. After she finally tells Squall he shouldn't have let Rinoa go, her character arc just disappears and that wasn't great. It like how Seifer had a huge arc but it's dropped at the end.

Then Selphie I also enjoy because of many reasons. She doesn't let Irvine take advantage of her. She along with the others call him out when he is inappropriatley hitting on her and Rinoa. She's got her insecurites that she protects by putting up a facade that she's this sweet and bubbly social girl because she's the new student and she want's to fit in. All the orphaned children grew up with something wrong with them because of being orphaned in the war. She's not weak, a little clumsy but she holds her own. She even goes and tries to stop the missiles from launching and she succeeds. The problem was that a soldier before he died get's up and still makes them launch. She's also just a fun character that add's a more positive attitude to the group.

XIII-2 was pretty fun. I like XIII because of Fang and (eventually) Vanilles roles.

suzu

I'm kinda indifferent to Vaan so I didn't mind him being the protagonist, even though Ashe or Basch would've been better ones. Vaan and Penelo... were just there to watch. lol

I loved FFX-2's battle system that I could look pass all the crazy jpop stuff (which grew on me at some point).

Selphie, Laguna, and Squall are my favorite FF8 characters. o/

Top Bottom