• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So today I just learned about this:

Raging Asian Women

It's an all-women, all-Asian, all-gay (or so I was told) taiko band. For those not familiar with taiko, it refers to Japanese drums (of all kinds) and it sounds very badass. I've seen a few taiko performances before (though not by these specific ladies) and it's always very, very impressive and hypnotizing. And this band not only plays taiko but are also social activists for feminism and all manners of egalitarianism.

I heard about them from a friend in my dojo, who plays Japanese music, and encountered them at a percussion festival in Longueuil last week. Wish I had been there, but I didn't even know about this festival (apparently it's a different country theme every year, and this year was Japan). Anyway, my friend's description intrigued me so I looked them up and I thought they were really cool and interesting, so I decided to share. =)

Article: http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/story.cfm?content=195625
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RAWtaiko

Raging Asian Women

It's an all-women, all-Asian, all-gay (or so I was told) taiko band. For those not familiar with taiko, it refers to Japanese drums (of all kinds) and it sounds very badass. I've seen a few taiko performances before (though not by these specific ladies) and it's always very, very impressive and hypnotizing. And this band not only plays taiko but are also social activists for feminism and all manners of egalitarianism.

I heard about them from a friend in my dojo, who plays Japanese music, and encountered them at a percussion festival in Longueuil last week. Wish I had been there, but I didn't even know about this festival (apparently it's a different country theme every year, and this year was Japan). Anyway, my friend's description intrigued me so I looked them up and I thought they were really cool and interesting, so I decided to share. =)

oh wow that seems so awesome :O thanks for sharing morrigan!

Mono

Raging Asian Women

Neat!! I'll definitely check them out, that's awesome!

Oh, thanks for clearing that up! I understand if you generally avoid XSEED-related threads for professional reasons.

A minor thing, I know, but it certainly seems to have somewhat tempered the way his posts are read. Somewhat unfairly I'd say, but just in the sense that people think he's pushing PR because that's his job. Tom and I disagree on a lot of things, but those are very much his personal opinions and he really does believe exactly what he says. Tom doesn't speak for things he doesn't believe in or shy away from speaking against what he doesn't like at XSEED. He's very honest with his stance. Whether or not people agree with his stance is another matter.

That said, there are wildly different opinions at XSEED and everyone has free reign to speak them. I generally shy away from the gaming side unless I can help answer pipeline and/or localization process questions, but I will post in XSEED threads for games I've worked on or feel strongly for. I'll probably be in there more for Trails SC stuff eventually.

First-time poster here :) Hello, everyone! Somehow missed this thread until backslashbunny clued me in. Erin's the name, intersectional liberation and full equality's the game.

Looks like it's locked now, but what a thread that was! Didn't realize I'd hit member status in there for like a dozen posts. Lots of amazing folk in there, among the clueless jerks.

Absolutely abhorrent. Turn the tables!

Haha. That it was. Was really impressed the way you handled things. Welcome to the G member club. \[-_-]/

Wow happy there is a vibrant girl gaf community!

There are a lot more of us around than people suspect, I think. Recent threads have certainly introduced a lot more as well. :p

Raging Asian Women

They're so cool! I went ahead and liked their Facebook page and checked out some videos on Youtube... love this kind of music <3

Haha. That it was. Was really impressed the way you handled things. Welcome to the G member club. \[-_-]/

:3 Why, thank you. It's good to be here!

... :x werent you one of those dudes that replied with "freaking gross" posts in that shaving thread.. sorry i just remember your avatar. dont mean to be snarky or anything ......:x

2A3XpGF.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
... :x werent you one of those dudes that replied with "freaking gross" posts in that shaving thread.. sorry i just remember your avatar. dont mean to be snarky or anything ......:x

and ya, this thread has been more active lately. i love all of my gaf-sistahz <3

9E4b074.gif

hi ladies

botty: take your emoji elsewhere thanks

edit: shoutouts to kisaya

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I generally shy away from the gaming side unless I can help answer pipeline and/or localization process questions, but I will post in XSEED threads for games I've worked on or feel strongly for. I'll probably be in there more for Trails SC stuff eventually.

Oh, how things change over time. ;)

I used to be a lot more active on gaming side too. Too much idiocy to deal with, especially when you try to explain game development stuff and everyone's too busy explaining why they're the real experts or busy pushing whatever argument upholds their platform war drivel.

Sure, I'll sit here and listen to you tell me how super advanced your real-time graphicz are that are so on par with high-end CG. I have no direct experience involving cutting edge industry/academia graphics or anything. :/

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I used to be a lot more active on gaming side too. Too much idiocy to deal with, especially when you try to explain game development stuff and everyone's too busy explaining why they're the real experts or busy pushing whatever argument upholds their platform war drivel.

Does this mean Uncharted 4 doesn't look like movie CG? ;P

It's partly why so many people I know and admire on the site are either sticking to Community threads, or are moving to Twitter/IRC.

gaf...has changed

It's partly why so many people I know and admire on the site are either sticking to Community threads, or are moving to Twitter/IRC.

gaf...has changed

GAF...GAF never changes

It's funny, I spend most of my GAF time reading gaming side but rarely feel like participating, but I'll get caught up in some OT/Community.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I could say the negativity bothers me but really my main gripe is the homogeneity of communication. Alert! Big words! Just the adoption of this reductive vocabulary that turns so many discussions into the same thing over and over:

"first post nails it"
"dat _ tho"

Etc etc.

But I'm probably guilty of it myself at some point.

Kinsei

Banned

gaf...has changed

It's not hard to see why. I decided to pop into the Smash thread and see people calling trans women, men. It feels like GAF is two different sites in one.

Mono

Sure, I'll sit here and listen to you tell me how super advanced your real-time graphicz are that are so on par with high-end CG. I have no direct experience involving cutting edge industry/academia graphics or anything. :/

It's a scary place out there; Gaming people say that they're scared to venture into OT/Community, too! It's a bit intiminating to barge into a community thread, for sure!

I just stick to the Steam thread on Gaming, and I rarely vanture out of that thread except for this one now. That thread is so off-topic and nice that it's probably going to get moved to Community anyway. GAF is great if you find good communities and threads to post in, but outside of that...

Koriandrr

and ya, this thread has been more active lately. i love all of my gaf-sistahz <3

That reminds me of a funny story. My Asian female friend went to Amsterdam and was in the Red light district, when she came back she kept asking me OMG ARE WHITE WOMEN REALLY THAT ...BUSHY? It was like a whole new concept to her that people can have that much hair on their body. So I'd definitely say it's an Asian thing, not trying to be racist in any way. :p

EDIT: Just to point out, she was in the red light district as a tourist, not to work there or anything. Just to avoid confusion :D

It's a scary place out there; Gaming people say that they're scared to venture into OT/Community, too! It's a bit intiminating to barge into a community thread, for sure!

I just stick to the Steam thread on Gaming, and I rarely vanture out of that thread except for this one now. That thread is so off-topic and nice that it's probably going to get moved to Community anyway. GAF is great if you find good communities and threads to post in, but outside of that...

yeah. i stick to the particular communities i am familiar too... i mostly post at the TERA community over at the gaming side .__. and that community is a cesspit for girl gamers :x

kori, i donno what you mean :O im asian, yep, but i've seen fellow asian women with majestic bushes, and i've seen ones that's basically born almost hairless, even in their pits and lady parts... like they just use scissors to trim their growth and all done.

... okay, by them i mean me, for the last bit :x

Koriandrr

yeah. i stick to the particular communities i am familiar too... i mostly post at the TERA community over at the gaming side .__. and that community is a cesspit for girl gamers :x

kori, i donno what you mean :O im asian, yep, but i've seen fellow asian women with majestic bushes, and i've seen ones that's basically born almost hairless, even in their pits and lady parts... like they just use scissors to trim their growth and all done.

... okay, by them i mean me, for the last bit :x

Oh, I was into TERA some time ago. Is it good? I do love the graphics and characters, as an ex-Lineage player.

Yeah, I have heard that there's bushy Asians too, but my friends was still pretty surprised, she didn't seem to have seen a bush before :D

Oh, I was into TERA some time ago. Is it good? I do love the graphics and characters, as an ex-Lineage player.

Yeah, I have heard that there's bushy Asians too, but my friends was still pretty surprised, she didn't seem to have seen a bush before :D

it was fun. it's been nerfed to oblivion now, so it's more for casual gamers. i, too, came from Lineage 2

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that graphics <3

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm gonna raise this again (sorry) but of the new folks are there any Smite players here?

Smite is great. Honestly. WHY WILL NOBODY BELIEVE MEEEE

Mono

I'm gonna raise this again (sorry) but of the new folks are there any Smite players here?

Smite is great. Honestly. WHY WILL NOBODY BELIEVE MEEEE

That's the new Blizzard MOBA, right? I think it's a MOBA, at least! I'm not really into MOBAs. :(

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That's the new Blizzard MOBA, right? I think it's a MOBA, at least! I'm not really into MOBAs. :(

Ah no, it's been out a little while. I wasn't, before this! A friend at work persuaded me to try it and now I've been hooked for months.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Man I can't believe I'm about to get my sub button on twitch and I didn't have to show boobs! :D took more than 7 months though but it's okay, I'm sooooooooooo excited!! :D

EDIT: Fuck me sideways, that thread man! Just got caught up with it, the fuck is wrong with some people?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You picked a tough topic to come in on. Fanboyism is rife on gaming sites, and while NeoGAF is better than most, based-TLOU is basically the third rail. Sorry for the trouble; you may notice we banned quite a few people in that thread.

Please tell me you guys are going to try and keep things more contained. That TLOU Remastered impressions thread is already a nightmare to read.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I see the shaving thread was closed. That's alright, we did great in there. I hope we at least managed to convince enough people of our points.

I'm glad I found this place! It's so nice to know there's so many ladies here on GAF. :D

Opiate

gaf...has changed

I really feel that the narrowness of discussion on Gaming side has narrowed as our understanding of gaming itself has narrowed.

There was a time when NeoGAF-style gaming encompassed the entirety of the gaming world. Over the last decade, though, with the advent of the Wii and iOS and Facebook games and all the rest, NeoGAF has come to represent only a fraction of the whole, and at times is expressly hostile to these new avenues of gaming.

I say all this, but still appreciate GAF as the best gaming (and non-gaming) forum on the internet. I certainly agree that some parts of gaming GAF have gotten very narrow in scope, but it's still better than alternatives. I really hope it's a trend that GAF (and gaming in general) can escape from, because I don't think this hostility to new methods of gaming is going to do "core gamers" any favors in the long term.

Please note: this doesn't mean you have totally love iOS gaming or something. I'm just always taken aback by the ardent hostility that the existence of iOS gaming can arouse in some video game players.

Karkador

Banned
I really feel that the narrowness of discussion on Gaming side has narrowed as our understanding of gaming itself has narrowed.

There was a time when NeoGAF-style gaming encompassed the entirety of the gaming world. Over the last decade, though, with the advent of the Wii and iOS and Facebook games and all the rest, NeoGAF has come to represent only a fraction of the whole, and at times is expressly hostile to these new avenues of gaming.

When I made the New Board Gaming OT2, the presumption is that it would go into the main Off-Topic section, but it still feels a bit silly that a gaming-related thread is not really..."allowed" on Gaming side? At least, that's the presumption. I mean, games are games, are they not? There is some bizarre irony whenever a gaming-related thread is "off-topic" on NeoGAF.

So yeah, I feel the narrowness of the discussion on Gaming side, for various reasons. The tendency for "you can't complain about the way the game makes you feel, but the framerate complaints are daily" is another one. People jokingly refer to a "hivemind" on GAF; while I don't think there is a conformity of opinions on GAF, it could probably said that there is only a short list of topics that are "relevant".

Opiate

When I made the New Board Gaming OT2, the presumption is that it would go into the main Off-Topic section, but it still feels a bit silly that a gaming-related thread is not really..."allowed" on Gaming side? At least, that's the presumption. I mean, games are games, are they not? There is some bizarre irony whenever a gaming-related thread is "off-topic" on NeoGAF.

I agree with you, actually, but we rule by committee and I'm not the only voice.

So yeah, I feel the narrowness of the discussion on Gaming side, for various reasons. The tendency for "you can't complain about the way the game makes you feel, but the framerate complaints are daily" is another one. People jokingly refer to a "hivemind" on GAF; while I don't think there is a conformity of opinions on GAF, it could probably said that there is only a short list of topics that are "relevant".

Sure, I agree. A lot of times entire discussions will be started about the state of "gaming," and then upon reflection it will be clear that "gaming" really refers just to home consoles, or just to PC/PS/Xbox or something. I don't mind discussions about PC/PS/Xbox -- I happen to play almost all my games on PC, for instance -- but I do object to that framework being implicitly assumed, as if "gaming" obviously refers to just those systems. Phrases like "real gamers" vs. "non-gamers" only serve to reinforce this schism. Frequently it's not what is talked about, but how it's talked about, that is the problem.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Please tell me you guys are going to try and keep things more contained. That TLOU Remastered impressions thread is already a nightmare to read.

It's bonkers. Ironically, I've now pre-ordered the thing just to be able to understand the fuss!

I say all this, but still appreciate GAF as the best gaming (and non-gaming) forum on the internet. I certainly agree that some parts of gaming GAF have gotten very narrow in scope, but it's still better than alternatives. I really hope it's a trend that GAF (and gaming in general) can escape from, because I don't think this hostility to new methods of gaming is going to do "core gamers" any favors in the long term.

Please note: this doesn't mean you have totally love iOS gaming or something. I'm just always taken aback by the ardent hostility that the existence of iOS gaming can arouse in some video game players.

Hi Opiate

This isn't a blanket criticism of GAF or its moderation policy - as you say, it is a fantastic forum and I've made many friends here (including 'real life' friends, heavens-to-betsy) but that narrowness does irk me.

Sometimes there seems to be less of an acceptance of discussion and more just the relentless posting of memes which then becomes heated and devolves into pointless mudslinging.

I'd love it if gaming side could have more actual 'discussion' in the sense of listening and responding rather than a rush (literal rush) to the bottom or just the endless recycling of catchphrases, but I guess every community of people (whether online or not) find common ways of expressing themselves. Some posters probably only post for the sport of being "first post" or to fight some imaginary war (whether it's TLOU-IS-MASTERPIECE, 30FPS-IS-THEFT or FPS-ARE-FOR-BULLIES).

I guess I'm just really (honestly!) confused by anybody who could march into an internet flame war over framerates instead of a discussion of the mechanics of a game / how it feels etc.

It could just be an age thing - I mention my age a lot I know (I'm 33), but I can imagine that if you're younger those kind of console wars are just a way of letting off steam and/or finding distractions from study, etc.

To use another meme (hypocrite!) tl;dr negativity yawn! listening and thinking for self yay! How you encourage that I wouldn't be able to say, I've never moderated a forum or even thought about moderation policies before you raised the discussion in this thread. I suppose it's a balance between making gaming side a place for everyone to post, whether its the so-called thoughtful types or the "sport posters".

Hrrmmmrmmmrmm.

Opiate

My girlfriend shaves too -- and despite my polemicism in the shaving thread, I personally prefer that -- but there is an enormous difference between "a woman can shave" and "a woman is obligated to shave" or even "a woman doesn't technically have to shave but it's gross and icky if she does not."

Top Bottom